The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which drum machines do you own?
Old 9th June 2016
  #421
ER-1
TR-606
Tempest
Old 9th June 2016
  #422
Gear Head
Also MPC4000
DSI Tempest
Ensoniq ASRXPRO
Roland TR8 (7X7 expansion)

Arturia Spark2
NI Kontakt5
NI Battery4
Old 9th June 2016
  #423
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEED78 View Post
I had you down as a RX5 man?
It's on my want list
Old 9th June 2016
  #424
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
ah the age old thread resurfaces.


a question to RM50(RY30) owners,,, how are its synthesis/mangling capabilities really?... is it only dependant on samples, or is it possible to get lots of fresh stuff simply by tweaking its parameters and using existing samples as fodder?
There's plenty of synthesis options on both, I posted a RY30 video quite a while back where I got kinda crazy:

-RM50 has an LFO per drum element and optional 512k RAM for user samples.
-RY30 has no LFO or user RAM, however it does have:

-Ability to pitch a sample up/down six octaves, can get very grainy down there.
-The crazy wheel for writing in per-step note, filter or other accent data.
-Self oscillating filters that are kinda intense and slightly glitchy, you can put two identical elements on a pad where the cutoffs are in different place for these weird duophonic chord sounds
-Standard, ROMpler like looping samples of the classic analog waveforms, noise, saws, etc, so you can build melodic sounds of desired.
-2 Aux outputs in addition to L&R for lots of processing options.

And then add to that the RY30 is a real comprehensive sequencer with nearly ever function you could think of in terms of Rhythm programming and it makes it a real nice piece to have.
Old 9th June 2016
  #425
Lives for gear
 
time_zone's Avatar
 

the dark side of planet 909/808/707:

Old 9th June 2016
  #426
Lives for gear
 

Rytm and CR-8000
Old 9th June 2016
  #427
Lives for gear
 
DiGi_TaL's Avatar
 

Drum Machines:

1. Elektron MD UW.
2. Roland TR8.
3. MFB Tanzbar.
4. Roland TR-808

Samplers that can act as drum machines:

1. Elektron OctaTrack
2. NI Maschine MK2
3. MPC-3000

GrooveBox that can act as drum machine:

1. Elektron A4.
2. Elektron MNM.

What I actually use?

Cubase and samples from sample cd's.
Old 9th June 2016
  #428
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGi_TaL View Post
Drum Machines:

1. Elektron MD UW.
2. Roland TR8.
3. MFB Tanzbar.
4. Roland TR-808

Samplers that can act as drum machines:

1. Elektron OctaTrack
2. NI Maschine MK2
3. MPC-3000

GrooveBox that can act as drum machine:

1. Elektron A4.
2. Elektron MNM.

What I actually use?

Cubase and samples from sample cd's.
Hmm, why do you own 10k worth of stuff if you don't use it? Not saying it's wrong, just wondering. You could do something very nice with the money, like start your own vinyl label.
Old 9th June 2016
  #429
Lives for gear
 
DiGi_TaL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Hmm, why do you own 10k worth of stuff if you don't use it? Not saying it's wrong, just wondering. You could do something very nice with the money, like start your own vinyl label.
1. I like to play with it once in a while.
2. It gets me in right mood in the studio.
3. I love the purchase process, reading about the product , the GAZ feeling, watching videos, waiting for the package arrive, learning how to work it.
4. I enjoy the freedom of watching, some Against the Clock/In the studio with/Rhytm roulette videos an knowing that I can just turn around and turn this or that machine like the artist in the video.

Why don't I use them?
I use them but rarely... my workflow is always around Cubase, and to make it work good with the HW machines there is a lot of routing, configuration and latency problems to be solved...

From all of that list I guess that Maschine MK2 is the one that I use the most because it's just connected through USB all the time , and all it takes is to turn it's plugin inside cubase and I am good to go

After having all this gear , I still think you can't beat the flow of DAW , you can change always everything , always can go back , change a sample, or synth setting.
Old 9th June 2016
  #430
PES
Lives for gear
 
PES's Avatar
revision #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PES View Post
MFB 522

- love the sound and tweakability of this one. Spot on for what I wanted.

Korg Electribe ER-1

- hard to get snares like I want them, but is great apart from that. I like how you make sounds from scratch, and the samples are very nice as well. I sort of like the limitation of not having different samples to choose between. A bit too sterile-sounding, but put through some slight bit/sample rate reducing it comes into place. Too bad that one can only choose between two(!) time signatures instead of setting a "last step" though.

Yamaha RM1x

- got it recently, so I've barely used it. Seems to have some nice lo-fi drum samples, though its main purpose will be to sequence other gear.
Don't have the RM1x anymore.

But have added:

Volca Beats

- nice enough character machine. Don't use it much, but I keep it around, especially for the grainy hihats.

Volca Sample

- excellent in every way. I'm slowly filling it with custom samples of my own, still with 40+ available slots months after I got it. Got the analogue drum sounds off our old Kawai DX100 organ preserved in it, the ER-1's PCM sounds are on board, some more or less random voice snippets sampled off the TV years ago, and drums and sounds sampled from vinyl, mostly cheap vinyl (cheap, as in old records where hits of the day were recorded by no-name studio bands - I'm ripping off the ripper-offs!).

Teenage Engineering PO-12

- another excellent machine. Took me by surprise, a true vitamin injection to my setup. Crispy and characterful, and a joy to use.
Old 9th June 2016
  #431
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
There's plenty of synthesis options on both, I posted a RY30 video quite a while back where I got kinda crazy:

-RM50 has an LFO per drum element and optional 512k RAM for user samples.
-RY30 has no LFO or user RAM, however it does have:

-Ability to pitch a sample up/down six octaves, can get very grainy down there.
-The crazy wheel for writing in per-step note, filter or other accent data.
-Self oscillating filters that are kinda intense and slightly glitchy, you can put two identical elements on a pad where the cutoffs are in different place for these weird duophonic chord sounds
-Standard, ROMpler like looping samples of the classic analog waveforms, noise, saws, etc, so you can build melodic sounds of desired.
-2 Aux outputs in addition to L&R for lots of processing options.

And then add to that the RY30 is a real comprehensive sequencer with nearly ever function you could think of in terms of Rhythm programming and it makes it a real nice piece to have.
nice, thanks for the detailed rundown. yes i've seen your demo before . i think i gravitate into simplifying my setup when it comes to digital sources, so i might grab the RM50 when i see one and run it via jitter-free expert sleeprs midi system from DAW. also ability to adding syb006 sounds very tempting. i could load some special sounds i made over the years, some classic xox tones or something from modular etc.


ahem.. more questions

dunno if RM50 listens to any midi cc for its sound parameters like pitch or filter, for doing some p-locking action?

like airbase99 can, for example - you can automate things per step with midi cc, so the sequence comes alive.


also, is there provision for velocity switching of samples? and if there is, how many layers?

thanks
Old 9th June 2016
  #432
SEED78
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
It's on my want list
I quite want to get a RX5 at some point - plan on getting various drum machines, sampling them in my MPC etc then selling them.

I'm currently just MPC3000, ASR10 (obviously both samplers, but stunning for drums) and Casio RZ1 (purely for lo-fi sampling).

I briefly had a custom all back MPC4000, but needed some funds to move house so had to sell it - was full of great sp1200/mpc60/808/909/Linn etc drum samples on internal Harddrive, took seconds to load some amazing sounds, then to program a simple loop (could easily do all that before a computer has even started up!) Really recommend this to others, and will prob get another one eventually.
Old 9th June 2016
  #433
Lives for gear
 
shadowfac's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Updated list

Current dedicated DM's:

- Korg ER-1 (favorite drum machine ever)
- Zoom RhythmTrak RT-234 (my first DM and first hardware kit)
- Zoom SampleTrak ST-224 x 2
- Akai XR-20
- Elektron Machinedrum UW Mk1
- Yamaha RX-5

Synths often used as DM's:

- Nord Micromodular
- Nord Modular G2
- Analog modulars (MU and eurorack format)

Want to buy:

- Yamaha RY30
- Korg Volca Beats
- Acidlab Miami
- Emu PX-7
Since my last post I've added:

- Korg Volca Beats
- Korg Wavedrum
- Roland Handsonic HPD-10
- Novation Circuit
- Elektron Monomachine

Had the chance to buy an RY-30 but already have too much stuff to learn. I'm also possibly selling the RX-5, XR-20 and one Sampletrak.
Old 9th June 2016
  #434
Lives for gear
 
Bach666's Avatar
 

RYTM and Acidlab Drumatix. I'm quite content with only these for now.
Old 9th June 2016
  #435
Lives for gear
 
Barfunkel's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 View Post
RYTM and Acidlab Drumatix. I'm quite content with only these for now.
I would be too, considering I think those 2 are the best drum machines available currently. You don't really need need anything else. GAS is a strong feeling of course.
Old 9th June 2016
  #436
Lives for gear
 
xanderbeanz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
nice, thanks for the detailed rundown. yes i've seen your demo before . i think i gravitate into simplifying my setup when it comes to digital sources, so i might grab the RM50 when i see one and run it via jitter-free expert sleeprs midi system from DAW. also ability to adding syb006 sounds very tempting. i could load some special sounds i made over the years, some classic xox tones or something from modular etc.


ahem.. more questions

dunno if RM50 listens to any midi cc for its sound parameters like pitch or filter, for doing some p-locking action?

like airbase99 can, for example - you can automate things per step with midi cc, so the sequence comes alive.


also, is there provision for velocity switching of samples? and if there is, how many layers?

thanks
You have 2 parts per drum sound and within that 2 elements per part, and can balance these, so I guess that's 4 velocity layers, though you don't need to use velocity to switch them, and velocity can do something else, like filter for example.

It responds to 6 CC's for filter, decay, pan, balance, modulation, volume, these can be turned on and off per kit.
Old 9th June 2016
  #437
Lives for gear
 
roland4387's Avatar
909
808(x's 2)
606
727
Volca Beats
Electribe Sampler
Old 9th June 2016
  #438
Gear Nut
 
BongoWomble's Avatar
Circuit
Volca Sample
Maschine

Maybe Soon - TR-8
Old 9th June 2016
  #439
Lives for gear
 
breakmixer's Avatar
TR-8(7X7 Expansion)
Yocto(TR-808 Clone)
Spark Controller(Does this count?)
Old 9th June 2016
  #440
Deleted User
Guest
TR-808
TR-505
Analog Rytm
ER-1
PO-12

Octatrack - although I prob wouldn't count as as drum machine.
Old 9th June 2016
  #441
Gear Addict
TR8 (7x7 expansion, can't wait for 606) - a fantastic idea, expertly executed. Except maybe the 808 bass drum...
Analogue Keys - the bass drum presets will break you!
Old 9th June 2016
  #442
Lives for gear
 
Synthbuilder's Avatar
I have only one proper drum machine now - a very old Roland TR-77. I reprogrammed some of the patterns but I should midi it up one of these days.

Tony
Old 9th June 2016
  #443
Gear Addict
 
Astronaut FX's Avatar
Alexis HR-16B
Nord Drum2
Vermona DRM1 MKIII
Elektron Machinedrum UW
Korg Volca Sample
Boss DR880 (selling)
Maschine (gathering dust)

Various software and sample libraries
Old 9th June 2016
  #444
Lives for gear
 

Main:
MFB Tanzbar
Roland HPD20
Monotribes

Synths used for light percussion:
Minibrute
Microbrute

Upcoming:
Elektron AR
Novation Circuit
Jomox Mbrane1_1
Old 22nd August 2016
  #445
Lives for gear
 
cramseur's Avatar
Update:
I now have Octatrack, RYTM, TR-606
and just ordered Vermona DRM 1 Mkiii
Old 22nd August 2016
  #446
Thought for sure I posted in this thread at some point. Anyway, here's what I've got:

Vermona DRM1 MkIII
Korg Monotribe (x2)
Korg KR-55
Boss DR-55
Boss DR-110 (x2)
Mattel Synsonics Drums
Gibson Maestro Rhythm King mkI
Multivox Rhythm Ace FR-3

And in the sample-based realm:
Akai MPC2500 with JJOS-XL
Korg Volca Sample
Old 22nd August 2016
  #447
Lives for gear
 
Benjaymun's Avatar
Vermona Kick Lancet (x2)
The rest can be samples.
Old 22nd August 2016
  #448
Lives for gear
 
midiquestions's Avatar
Maxed-out MPC2000XL w/CF for drums on one rig, maxed-out S5000 w/SCSI2SD for drums on another (which is not actually a drum machine).

Used to use a DR-660 and then a DR-770, loved them but always wanted more sounds and more pattern memory. Certainly learned to tweak them though. Later had an ER-1 and used it on some tracks but wasn't crazy about it. Also used a bunch of rack drum units including the PRO/cussion and the RM50.
Old 22nd August 2016
  #449
Since I last posted in this thread in 2011 or so, I thought it could be time for an update.

Drum machines:

Hammond Vari-64
Solton Disco-64
Riyaz Master Professional
Radel Taalmala
Soundmaster Disco Beat
Roland DR-660 and 670 (can't decide which one to keep)

Drum synthesizers:
Vermona DRM1MkIII
Novation Drumstation
Pearl DRX-1
Akai XE8

I must say, though, that most of my current music comes without any drums or rhythm, so these instrument are currently just sitting there, partly for occasional live use, partly waiting for future more rhythm-oriented stuff and partly for nostalgia.

Cheers,
Bert
Old 22nd August 2016
  #450
Lives for gear
 
re5etuk's Avatar
main
rytm
machine drum
tr8
lxr
hr16 (circuit bent)

others
atmegadrum
tb2 with drum machine firmware
lots of ipad apps that sound great too
📝 Reply
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump