The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Largo
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

Waldorf Largo

Waldorf Music | Largo

waldorf waisting time on that insted of working on my Stromberg.

tutt

and now its getting scary:

Waldorf:

"The Largo is a virtual instrument offering the same powerful synthesizer engine as found in the Waldorf Q-, MicroQ- and Blofeld-synthesizers."

- i dont belive them. heh
Old 15th January 2009
Lives for gear

I think Waldorf is doing stuff right. Relatively inexpensive synths, now a killer softsynth that should hopefully give them a good profit margin on it.

All of this will make the Stromberg much better. It's all in their business plan I'm sure.
Old 15th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear
I don't believe them either.

Anytime they say the weasel-words "based on", they're full of crap unless they prove otherwise. The original NI "Pro-51"(or 52) were awful sounding pieces of crap, but "based on the Prophet 5".

uh-huh.

The screen shots of the largo look nice, though, fwiw.
Lives for gear
Stromberg is like a spoon.

There is no spoon.
Lives for gear

i think it's a smart move too. a soft synth or two to keep the coffers full plus i think they have something add to the mix of what's already available in softsynth land.

a hardware synth from any company always has the possibility to be a big failure so i think they are being smart by not putting all their eggs one basket.
Lives for gear

definitely. they will sell alot form that VST for sure. waldorf always made instruments that sound different from others, vst as well i hope..

plus, they already went bust once. (i was devastated then, not again.)
Old 16th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixapphire View Post
I don't believe them either.

Anytime they say the weasel-words "based on", they're full of crap unless they prove otherwise. The original NI "Pro-51"(or 52) were awful sounding pieces of crap, but "based on the Prophet 5".
Yeah, but the Pro-5/1/2 was made by NI, not Waldorf. A better judgment would be comparing the PPG VSTi with a real PPG, or the Micro-Q with the Komplexer. Plus Waldorf is not trying to emulate a vintage analog sound; they're just porting their software algorithms to an Intel platform. The differences in sound should be minimal and mostly due to differences in DAC's.

In any case, I think Waldorf's software filters are pretty good. I quite like the D-Pole VST.
Lives for gear

This is going to be awesome. Can't wait for the 'Digital synth in a box' vs. 'Digital synth in the computer' sound debate!

"Dude, you're like ****ing deaf man. My Digital synth in a box sounds way more digital than your digital synth in a computer. You suck!" heh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
This is going to be awesome. Can't wait for the 'Digital synth in a box' vs. 'Digital synth in the computer' sound debate!

"Dude, you're like ****ing deaf man. My Digital synth in a box sounds way more digital than your digital synth in a computer. You suck!" heh
Well, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Waldorf Attack, anyone?
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thought we'd already had that debate... Of course the dedicated box won. Can't beat that vintage DAC sound.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Yeh but largo sounds much better in logic than it does in cubase
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital 1010 View Post
Yeh but largo sounds much better in logic than it does in cubase
LMAO. Yeah but Pro Tools 8 sounds WAY better now that they revamped the sound engine (well they didn't officially say they did but dude, I swear the '8' makes the stereo image SO much wider!)
Gear Nut

re:

LOAD presets for waldorf Q ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
LMAO. Yeah but Pro Tools 8 sounds WAY better now that they revamped the sound engine (well they didn't officially say they did but dude, I swear the '8' makes the stereo image SO much wider!)
The thing is i have the hardware q and i swear the yellow paint does something extra to the sound over the grey largo. If the Largo was yellow it would sound just like the q hehehe. That's why the Q+ is better than the Q its not the analog filters its the red paint job.

I really must go to bed now-too much watching forums for cubase 5 news for me today
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Yeah, but the Pro-5/1/2 was made by NI, not Waldorf. A better judgment would be comparing the PPG VSTi with a real PPG, or the Micro-Q with the Komplexer. Plus Waldorf is not trying to emulate a vintage analog sound; they're just porting their software algorithms to an Intel platform. The differences in sound should be minimal and mostly due to differences in DAC's.

In any case, I think Waldorf's software filters are pretty good. I quite like the D-Pole VST.
That's true, except that the Waldorf PPG 2.v sucked.

Your right about the porting part and so forth; with today's CPU's, it shouldn't be impossible to get the real Q sound in the box.

Does anyone know whether the largo will load Q sounds, come with the Q factory library, and if it has the same arpeggiator as the Q?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfac View Post
Well, it's not like it hasn't been done before. Waldorf Attack, anyone?
Yeah. I have the Waldorf pack and the Attack is nice. This is the first commercial VSTi that has interested me in quite some time.
Lives for gear

More info

"Largo, the new software synth, looks to share some, but not all, lineage with the Blofeld. It’s missing the XT wavetable implementation, for instance. $250 in the US."
Gear Maniac

Some people stated the same ( the "it's the same as microQ, Q and Wave" part) when rapture was out...I don't trust ads anymore heh
Lives for gear
so they re-released komplexor...

i'm so thrilled i just can't stand it.
seeing as how i uninstalled komplexor after 2 months cause it sounded like ****.

attack was far better than komplexor, but ppg 2.v was crap like komplexor. go figure waldorf again is going to go bust before stromberg ever gets released and it's a shame cause thats the only thing they've yet mentioned that holds any interest to me.
Why does everyone say the PPG 2.V sounds like ****?

OK, granted it may not sound exactly like a real PPG but I still think it's a very nice sounding wavetable synth at a really good price. And with D-Pole and Attack in the package for a grand total of $80 - $100!!!! Quit your goddamn whining! I would've killed for something like that in 1995. Especially at that price!

Anyways, I'm excited about Largo considering I just sold my Blofeld and I'm considering a V-Machine. I really needed some emergency cash, but I also wasn't crazy about the super low output volume and lack of DAW integration. This should be a nice substitute, even if it doesn't have all the Blofeld wavetables. But seriously.... how many wavetables do you really need?
Lives for gear

$ ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny Turd View Post
Some people stated the same ( the "it's the same as microQ, Q and Wave" part) when rapture was out...I don't trust ads anymore heh
I don't remember any ads stating that Rapture was similar to the Q/microQ line. They don't even have similar architectures.

Maybe you're confusing Rapture with the Komplexer?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post
Probably because they expected it to sound like a real PPG. Just like with every other vintage emulation.

IMO, even though the PPG 2.V is the weakest of the Waldorf pack, I think it's capable of some interesting sounds, though it doesn't fill the spectrum like my XT does.
Gear Maniac

this is still my faveforite and best sounding Waldorf synth IMHO

Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu View Post

OK, granted it may not sound exactly like a real PPG but I still think it's a very nice sounding wavetable synth at a really good price. And with D-Pole and Attack in the package for a grand total of $80 - $100!!!! Quit your goddamn whining! I would've killed for something like that in 1995. Especially at that price!

Anyways, I'm excited about Largo considering I just sold my Blofeld and I'm considering a V-Machine. I really needed some emergency cash, but I also wasn't crazy about the super low output volume and lack of DAW integration. This should be a nice substitute, even if it doesn't have all the Blofeld wavetables. But seriously.... how many wavetables do you really need?
Because it does.

It didn't always go for $100 in a bundle, mind you. I agree, for that bargain, those three plugs are a nice enough (in a "you're likeable enough, Hillary" way) package.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by W-W-Int View Post
but ppg 2.v was crap like komplexor.
http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/wo...nightmares.mp3

PPG 2.V and Attack. I like its sound

http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/ppginextremo.mp3

PPG 2.V and Spectrasonics Stylus

Quote:
seeing as how i uninstalled komplexor after 2 months cause it sounded like ****.
http://www.trippler.net/files/terra/komplexer5.mp3

Komplexer and Stylus. Usable imho.

http://www.trippler.net/files/mp3/clearance.mp3

http://www.trippler.net/files/terra/morgenmuffel.mp3
to me, PPG Wave 2.V sounds like crap, lost in the mix, regardless of the emulation angle - i never expected it to sound like ppg anyway, because it can't. i just don't like it as it is, i wouldnt use in the mix, even if it was free. so is it a bundle for $100 or $0 it doesnt make a difference.

so its not whining, its called "different strokes for different folks".

ymmv.

it will be interesting how accurate the Waldorf Blofeld/Q-->Largo port will be. i'd imagine, in theory, there shouldn't be a problem. but not once we have witnessed that optimizing code for different DSP or OS sometimes yields different results.

one example that always comes to mind is plasticky Neuron VS, and how it never sounded like Neuron keyboard, for no apparent reason since Neuron was a PIII inside. but it never did.

so, anything is possible..
Gear Maniac

It's been confirmed from Waldorf that it has the MWII wavetables, from Stephan himself, which is not clear on their news page.

I too am curious if it can load Q and MWII sounds, as I have both these synths and look forwards to some A/B-ing of the sounds.

Personally, I LIKE the fact that I am removing an D2A and A2D conversion from the path. It never made any sense to me that I have a digital synth that gets converted to analog then BACK to digital again, only to eventually be hear analog again. This way, there is ZERO noise generated from the softsynth and a TON more freedom with messing with the attacks and such with a compressor.

Of course, till I hear it, who knows? I have the waldorf bundle as well, but can say honestly, I really don't use much of it. It's neat, but then I go play with my Virus TI, Zebra, Ultra Analog, Rapture, Massive, Sylenth1 or my Nord Rack 3. I just find more flexibilty with other software/hardware. (Granted, I know it is an emulation, and I was never really interested in the hardware versions of the Attack or PPG when I could buy them). Not that they didn't have their place OR do wonders for synths, I came in later to the game.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimepoch View Post
This way, there is ZERO noise generated from the softsynth and a TON more freedom with messing with the attacks and such with a compressor..
i love that noise.
📝 Reply