The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Track-/Dub-style arranging/mixing in DAWs like Logic/Cubase
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Track-/Dub-style arranging/mixing in DAWs like Logic/Cubase

DAWs like Logic almost predetermine a song arrangement while club music is for the greatest part based on Dub-style mixes.
Ableton Live has been designed for this kind of music but if you want to use Cubase, Logic & Co then you don`t necessarily have to copy parts just as you need them.
You can speed up the process and avoid a song-arrangement.

Here is my approach to track-/Dub-style mixing/arranging in DAWs:

I start by making a loop with all elements I want to use and try different combinations by muting individual tracks.
Once I am ready to arrange I will find the track combination I want the track to start with.
I will now select all tracks which are muted currently and use the mute-tool to mute the parts instead of the tracks.
Then I "un-mute" all tracks.

Next step is: I copy the loop that I got now, maybe 3 times and hit Play.
While the Playback is in progress I use the mute-tool to add more elements and mute others.
Before the end of the last loop repeat is reached I create 4 more copies of it and continue switching parts on/off while the track is playing.

With this technique you pretty quickly get a rough arrange that you can refine further.
You will also inevitably identify weak elements (which should be deleted and replaced by something better so they don`t ruin your end result because this will only be as good as the weakest element).

Remarks:

I always try to keep all parts 4 bars unless the loop itself is longer. Then I would use 8 bars or 16 bars so everything stays tidy.

To avoid confusion I use new tracks for variations and name them accordingly. That way all variations (reduced versions of a sequence for instance) are always available to be switched using the mute-tool without and further copying of parts.

That`s about it basically. Hope it`s usefull.

Dub music - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Guru

What you want to do is get a desk, separate all outputs, loop all parts at once, unmute your 'start combo', set up a nice dub delay feed or two and press play and do the mute/delay/dub surf.........and then edit the best parts together. Live arrange always vibes better than building.......
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
What you want to do is get a desk, separate all outputs, loop all parts at once, unmute your 'start combo', set up a nice dub delay feed or two and press play and do the mute/delay/dub surf.........and then edit the best parts together. Live arrange always vibes better than building.......
Would be the ideal way to do it but requires more expenses on hardware.
Something you won`t get with doing it in the box is true analogue delay sound and the possibility to "ride" or "surf" feedback-effect loops.
This shouldn`t be underestimated.
For techno and house however the method I use is usefull.
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

if you have a daw controller you can do anything you can on an analog board as far as rides, even delay feedback and other dub tricks. or if you have a keyboard with enough knobs and faders with a little work you can do this type of stuff as well. there's a bunch of cool sounding delays out there too, Line 6 has a few for example. arranging in Live is pretty much the same as anything else... except in the clip view... and with a daw controller and enough key assignments for fx on off etc. you can build and ride at the same time. there are daws out there that let you trigger individual patterns and record that as well. some software might make SOME things easier for you but it doesn't matter in the end... where there's a will there's a way. thank you blue monk for sharing your useful tip, all I say is that after that than grab some knobs or faders wherever you have them make some assignments if they are not done automatically and do the rides. in this day the limits are mostly only in our minds, specially when using computers to make music.

Peace!
Old 15th December 2008
Gear Maniac

do what real men do... use a mixer!
Old 15th December 2008
Here for the gear

do what REAL men do approach music like MMA use whatever tools you have available to you, like blue monk is already doing, and stop whining for a hardware mixer or wishing for one if you don't got the money. use what you have to do what you do and stop thinking about the technology analog, digital, hardware, or software.. what matters is that we put that music out.
Old 15th December 2008
Lives for gear

Alternatively, do what real men do and avoid this lego set approach to writing music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search