The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's in your digital synth collection??????
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
These 4 all gone now, now it's Reface DX(with DT-RDX), Boutique D-05(with DT-01) and Wavestate instead for digitals(plus VSTs), not flipping **** so much anymore.
How is the DT-RDX? Are you happy with taking the plunge? I am tempted, but the price point is slightly above what I want to spend for the DX.
Old 10th October 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydilaxe View Post
How is the DT-RDX? Are you happy with taking the plunge? I am tempted, but the price point is slightly above what I want to spend for the DX.
It's good quality, though small knobs. It's not needed but faster/easier to tweak than using the DX itself. I'm happy with it. It's a nice luxury to have if you can afford it. I still dont fully understand FM synthesis but you'll have alot more happy accidents using it than without, it will make you use it/learn it by having it more like you would a non preset analog synth. Yeah, it will be staying as a pair in my setup, It is slightly on the expensive side but well built.
Old 10th October 2020
Here for the gear

Roland A-01K
Korg Monotron Duo
Modal Skulpt
Modal Craft Synth 2.0
Artiphon Orba
Old 18th October 2020 | Show parent
Kurzweil K250RMX
Kurzweil K2000-R
Roland JD990 w vin
Roland JV1080
Roland R8-M
Ensoniq SQ-R
Ensoniq SQ1+ 32 voice - my first digital synth
Ensoniq SQ80
Ensoniq SD1
Ensoniq MR76
Casio CZ1000 - my second digital synth
Casio CZ101
Kawai K5000
Yamaha SY77
DSI Prophet 12
Akai SG01v

I happen to have a Fizmo here as well owned by a friend of mine.

I'm trying to remember if I've missed one.... mmmm
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear
K2500rs
Ex5-r
Motif rack es
Emu p2500
Emu XK-6
Korg kronos
Roland system 1m
Yamaha mu2000ex lol
Lives for gear

ASM Hydrasynth
Elektron Digitone
Nord A1R
Nord Rack3
Nord Stage 3 synth section
Old 18th October 2020
Lives for gear

Emu Carnaval
Yamaha Tx81z
Yamaha Ry30
Yamaha RX5
YamahRX7
Yamaha Reface CS
Roland D550
Roland JD 990 with vintage expansion card
Roland Integra7
Roland R8mkii
An OTO Biscuit in case its not crunchy enough
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
An OTO Biscuit in case its not crunchy enough
With it’s analog filter, wouldn’t it be a hybrid? I didn’t list anything because all my hardware synths with digital oscillators are hybrids, and my pure digital are plugins.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
With it’s analog filter, wouldn’t it be a hybrid? I didn’t list anything because all my hardware synths with digital oscillators are hybrids, and my pure digital are plugins.
You are right, its more of an hybrid. I mentionned it for it ability to “digitilize” sounds even more.. but technically i shouldn’t even mention it.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Anju View Post
You are right, its more of an hybrid. I mentionned it for it ability to “digitilize” sounds even more.. but technically i shouldn’t even mention it.
Well, I didn’t make the constraints of this thread, but if I did I’d have included hybrids and software. I’m still unclear as to why software running on dedicated hardware is in a different category than software running on a general purpose CPU, but that’s where we are.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

There's Nintendo DS DS-10 on the first page, I wouldn't overthink it.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Long overdue update:

Waldorf Microwave XTK 30 (replaced non upgradable XT rack)
Ensoniq Fizmo
Ensoniq SQ-80 (hybrid)
Casio CZ-1
Casio CZ-101
Yamaha TX-816
Yamaha TG-33
Yamaha TQ-5
GEM S2 Turbo
Roland JD-990 with Vintage Synth card
Roland JV-1080 with Classic Keys and Orchestral cards
Roland SH-01A Boutique
Roland TR-08 Boutique
Arturia MicroFreak (Hybrid)
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Access Virus B
Casio CZ3000
Casio VZ10m
Ensoniq EPS
Korg WS A/D
Roland D-550
Roland JD-990
Technics WSA1
Waldorf Q32
Waldorf XT30
Yamaha SY77

hybrids:

Akai S-950
Casio FZ10m
E-mu Emax Rack
E-mu Emulator II+ HxC
E-Mu SP-12 turbo
Ensoniq ESQm
PPG Wave 2
PPG Wave 2.3 + Waveterm B
Sequential Prophet VS Rack
Sequential Prophet 2002+
Waldorf Microwave Rev A
Old 4 weeks ago
Digital is the new vintage analogue, certainly after the pew pew clone wars

Yamaha SY77
Yamaha V50 (2 x DX11)
Roland D50
Ensoniq Mirage
EMU ESI4000
Yamaha A3000 (to be repaired)

Drums
Yamaha RX5
Linn Drum

Got a tune I made with most of it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9joE4a-aUU&t=308s
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
(no modals)

hybrids:

(no modals)
Wait! I was under impression that you have Modal 002! O_o
What a spot to fill with real instrument!

As for my list, I might miss something, as I have too much for my mind.

Digital:
- Modal CRAFTsynth 2.0
- Waldorf Microwave XTk (30 v)
- Waldorf Q (rack)
- John Bowen Solaris
- Clavia Nord Modular G2x
- Clavia Nord Rack 3
- Elektron Digitone
- Roland MC-909
- Yamaha Reface DX

Hybrids:
- Modal 001
- Modal 002
- Prophet X
- Ambika with SMR4 upgraded to have more modes
- 2 x Shruthi XT with all available filter cards at time of buying
- Triode

- also: Prologue 16, that can be played as hybrid
- also: JD-XA, that can be played either as hybrid or as digital synth
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Access Virus B
Casio CZ3000
Casio VZ10m
Ensoniq EPS
Korg WS A/D
Roland D-550
Roland JD-990
Technics WSA1
Waldorf Q32
Waldorf XT30
Yamaha SY77

hybrids:

Akai S-950
Casio FZ10m
E-mu Emax Rack
E-mu Emulator II+ HxC
E-Mu SP-12 turbo
Ensoniq ESQm
PPG Wave 2
PPG Wave 2.3 + Waveterm B
Sequential Prophet VS Rack
Sequential Prophet 2002+
Waldorf Microwave Rev A
Sweet list!

For those above who have listed the SY77 - are you guys using the front panel to do sound design - or are you using some software , eg: midi quest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
Sweet list!

For those above who have listed the SY77 - are you guys using the front panel to do sound design - or are you using some software , eg: midi quest?
thanks ,, yes front panel, its not that impossibly hard. tho of course, a graphic interface would speed it up, offer better view of more parameters/values at once. i especially like iOS solutions for complex synths. multitouch seems more natural for me, than editing with mouse on my daw.

i am planning a move towards TG77 with Patch Base app instead, to gain some room, that i'm really in shortage of.

alas, i keep stalling this because i'm in love with SY77 design, and that feel of working with a complete instrument, including wonderful keybed. had synths with dedicated hw programmers before, and its unavoidable for some machines, but it always feels detached and puts me off having the "synth" be in two parts. .. stupid i know,,
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

DX7
Lives for gear

MODX6 and Microwave XT
Sold the Alesis Ion: liked the sound and build quality, but didn't like the cheap keyboard action.

Not completely sold on the idea of cloning ancient digital tech, although the PPG Wave looks interesting because of the analogue filter on board.
Lives for gear
Quote:
Sweet list!

I program mine entirely from the front panel. It's a lot easier than people make out. Out of any of the yamaha FM synths I've used it's the easiest to program, even compared to the refaces DX. You do get graphical display of operator envelopes -- or a view of all op env rates / levels. Jumping between operators keeps you on the same edit page, so it's easy to set your ratios. That's most of the programming right there. Maybe the mod6 is better but I've not felt the need to upgrade.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Outside of modular, I don't have any analog synths anymore. I have to say, it's been quite liberating.
Quote:
Sweet list!

I'm using patch base with my iPad via a midi box connected to it. It's good, and is also a great librarian. You can also get it for your Mac.
Thank you

Thank you ClusterChord, BlueGreenGold and RosscoDiscoTrain

I appreciate your insight and I feel encouraged to keep going deep with the SY77 . . .

Quote:
thanks ,, yes front panel, its not that impossibly hard. tho of course, a graphic interface would speed it up, offer better view of more parameters/values at once. i especially like iOS solutions for complex synths. multitouch seems more natural for me, than editing with mouse on my daw.

i am planning a move towards TG77 with Patch Base app instead, to gain some room, that i'm really in shortage of.

alas, i keep stalling this because i'm in love with SY77 design, and that feel of working with a complete instrument, including wonderful keybed. had synths with dedicated hw programmers before, and its unavoidable for some machines, but it always feels detached and puts me off having the "synth" be in two parts. .. stupid i know,,
Thanks ClusterChord - looking at your extensive collection, I can imagine you'd be looking for space efficiency. I think the two mod wheels and keybed on the SY77 make it hard to move away from the full hardware.

Something funny for you - I have an Atari 1040ST that I plugged in last night .. I have the Steinberg Synthworks for the SY77, which I tried out for the first time.. hilarious and absolutely remarkable what they did with representing the SY77 in there... The response time from the SY77 is immediate and the graphics they put into the Atari are far more than what i was expecting. I'm only starting to dig in..
Of course, the Atari takes us space too! Far more than an iPad - but oddly I find using a device made in 1987 far more responsive & reliable than the 2012 iPad 4 that I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
I program mine entirely from the front panel. It's a lot easier than people make out. Out of any of the yamaha FM synths I've used it's the easiest to program, even compared to the refaces DX. You do get graphical display of operator envelopes -- or a view of all op env rates / levels. Jumping between operators keeps you on the same edit page, so it's easy to set your ratios. That's most of the programming right there. Maybe the mod6 is better but I've not felt the need to upgrade.
I think I'm just having trouble with some of the FM concepts and have been wondering if a visual display would help. However , you are right, the SY77 screen was amazing compared to many of the synths that came out around the same time 1990/1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosscodiscotrain View Post
I'm using patch base with my iPad via a midi box connected to it. It's good, and is also a great librarian. You can also get it for your Mac.
Yes, I'm familiar with Patchbase. Even though I've helped out Chadwick with some testing for the JD990 editor for PatchBase, I've not yet tried the SY, as I've been working off the front panel until now.

I have a few options .. the above mentioned Synthworks, Midiquest and .. Patchbase if I wanted to use that too. The problem is me! And getting over a hump on how to use these operators properly. I'll persevere!

Thank you guys, really helpful to get your take on programming the SY77
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think I'm just having trouble with some of the FM concepts and have been wondering if a visual display would help.
I found the Herbert Jansen "SY Programming" book (free on the internet, just google it) gives a good overview about a productive way to think about FM. I found it very helpful.
Quote:
Something funny for you - I have an Atari 1040ST that I plugged in last night .. I have the Steinberg Synthworks for the SY77, which I tried out for the first time.. hilarious and absolutely remarkable what they did with representing the SY77 in there... The response time from the SY77 is immediate and the graphics they put into the Atari are far more than what i was expecting. I'm only starting to dig in..
Of course, the Atari takes us space too! Far more than an iPad - but oddly I find using a device made in 1987 far more responsive & reliable than the 2012 iPad 4 that I have.
hehe yes with some stuff its suprisingly the case even now. atari is as simple as it can be. dedicated to task at hand 100%. it doesn't have to support kernel and entire complex OS that does 1523 different things you dont need while doing music.

Quote:
Thanks ClusterChord - looking at your extensive collection, I can imagine you'd be looking for space efficiency. I think the two mod wheels and keybed on the SY77 make it hard to move away from the full hardware.
indeed its a wonderful machine. if only i could have a bigger mix room, that would be the best. but changing that is more expensive than any synth ,,

as it is now, i want to make the whole setup more efficient and easier to use, so i plan to sell a few less used pieces, to make space, and reroute sale proceeds to more hw programmers (stereoping for VS and MW etc), and get a dedicated iPad for Patch Base.

a question for @ Rosscodiscotrain and possibly other Patch Base users present:

do you happen to know how does using a 12.9" iPad Pro, affect the GUI...

do you simply see everything enlarged compared to smaller iPads,
or do you get to see more controls, due to more pixels ?

also if you utilize iPad for editing and still sequence the synth from your Daw, do you use a midi merge box?
or just route iPad output via daws midi thru, which would allow you to record the edits ?

thanks
Quote:
also if you utilize iPad for editing and still sequence the synth from your Daw, do you use a midi merge box?
or just route iPad output via daws midi thru, which would allow you to record the edits ?

thanks
I use the iConnectivity MIO10, which allows you to have a PC connected as well as an iPAD via USB. As an added bonus, I have my MIO10 hooked up over network to my music PC - you'll dig it if you have a distributed set-up

Here's my crappy attempt to explain the benefits:
https://youtu.be/KWaktL3nnYg?t=513
Lives for gear

Quote:

do you happen to know how does using a 12.9" iPad Pro, affect the GUI...

do you simply see everything enlarged compared to smaller iPads,
or do you get to see more controls, due to more pixels ?
FWIW it's the same screen images only larger. I use my ancient iPad air from 2013 to run Patchbase or my iPad mini

With Patchbase I am not sure the larger screen on the iPad pro is worth the extra cost

The brand new iPad Air that just came out is pretty much as powerful as the iPad Pro and the screen is plenty big enough

I have found with the larger screen the iPad Pro is actually difficult to hold with one hand and much prefer the standard sized screen

Another tip for those with rack mount Yamaha FM synths like the TG77, TX802 and TX816 (I have all 3 actually two TX816 one 8 modules and one with 4)

The SY22 which can be found for cheap is a FANTASTIC controller keyboard for them along w/Patchbase for iPad

When you program the old Yamaha FM machines you can select a breath controller or foot pedal as modulation sources for things like EG Bias. The breath controller and foot pedal send out MIDI CCs. The cool thing about the SY22 is the joystick works by sending the same CCs which gets transmitted via MIDI and can be recorded via your sequencer or just used during patch creation. It also have pitch bend and a mod wheel as well as velocity and after touch so it's all the real time modulation controls for Yamaha FM in one cheap keyboard

The keybed itself is not as nice as the SY77 or DX7 keybed but those are IMHO some of the best ever made so it's a tall order
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmixer View Post
...now it's Reface DX(with DT-RDX), Boutique D-05(with DT-01) and Wavestate instead for digitals(plus VSTs), not flipping **** so much anymore.
Forgot to add S2400 digital sampling drum machine pre-ordered.

I've also got 3U rack space(no space above) left and 1 x stereo inputs left on my mixer, apart from Argon8M(possibly fitting) there is nothing modern digital that fits the space, I'm done buying analog(got enough)...would like something Wavetable/Microfreak like if I do buy something else in the future....
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Waldorf Blofeld:

I am getting into the two things I originally said I wouldn't (having been productive with digital workstations) which was:

1) Eurorack
2) ambient

But now that is what I like these days in a field that increasingly doesn't use the piano keys I am so familiar with.

I saw one well known ambient Eurorack artist at synthfest use a digital Waldorf Blofeld module as the flagship running it all:

https://www.dublab.com/archive/ghorb...rsary-10-03-20
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
Outside of modular, I don't have any analog synths anymore. I have to say, it's been quite liberating.
but you have a dirty analogue modular the size of a house, right?
📝 Reply