The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Where to get good bass samples? Moog, Sub bass, Real Bass, 808
Old 2nd October 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where to get good bass samples? Moog, Sub bass, Real Bass, 808

Anyone have suggestions of where to get high quality and great sounding multisampled Moog bass sounds, sub sine waves, 808 samples, and real bass samples. Any good collections on cds/dvds for sale or free on the net? Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2008
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Spectrasonics Trilogy
Old 2nd October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Correct - however.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 ➑️
Spectrasonics Trilogy
yup correct certainly one of the better options for good stock sounds.... - however its crap on 10.4.11 or intel macs coz it rus through an audio unit wrapper which is totally unreliable!!!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
IK Sonik Synth 2, maybe? Pretty sweet collection of synth's, not to mention of whole slew of standard ROMpler fare.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is the tone of the sub bass in trilogy as fat, punchy and "pure" sounding as an actual minimoog or does it sound like it has gone through their own kind of processesing? Would I be better off with some kind of sample cd of sub basses sampled directly from a minimoog?
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel ➑️
Is the tone of the sub bass in trilogy as fat, punchy and "pure" sounding as an actual minimoog or does it sound like it has gone through their own kind of processesing? Would I be better off with some kind of sample cd of sub basses sampled directly from a minimoog?
I have been doing plenty of investigation into this recently. Here are my findings thus far:

Trilogy Rocks - I didnt have a Moog to directly compare with - but I set up my Roland SH2 and compared them - and Trilogy surprised me - it pretty much has the same power. It wasnt as responsive to play due to the fact I was using the wrapper for my Intel Mac. Only thing is that the Trilogy filter is pretty average. I teamed it up with the SoundToys Filterfreak, and the UAD Moog filter (prob the best 2 analogue filter emulations available) - and Im very happy! It sounds really analogue. And yes - the bass is phat and punchy - you can make a bass with a Minimoog Sawtooth and a Jupiter 8 square - its phat.

However - you could look into Omnisphere - which also has many analogue multisamples. It is UB and more modern with better filters and modulation. Only it is not so dedicated to bass - but I hear it has Minimoog and Moog Modular samples in it.....Spectrasonics know a lot about sampling and I think they put some effort into capturing the true tone of the synths...

Another option if the UVI Synths Anthology collection. I am waiting on delivery for this - but I hear great things. They put a lot of effort into creating this collection including using very nice pre-amps and hardware to sample the vintage synths...

I also have Zero G Phaedra - which is good for a selection of bass' and leads. Not so good for the pads.

You are much better going with these selections over painfully trying to piece single or multisamples into a sampler yourself - they have done all the grunt work for you.

I am tooling up with a collection of Sample collections such as 'Synths Anthology' and 'Phaedra' alongside using Sample-based soft synths such as Trilogy and Omisphere. Add a couple of great software filters in FilterFreak and UAD Moog - and Im 'almost' happy lol.....

Of course if I had Β£5000 Id just buy the hardware...

EDIT - I tried Sonik Synth 2 and IMO its not that great. Bit of a hodge-podge of not too useful sounds - and the sampletank interface is poor IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Actually I just tried something I never tried after surfing a bunch of forums. Which is just generating a simple sine, triangle, and square wave in Sound forge. Sounds amazingly fat and punchy to me much like a minimoog. Couldn't I just make 1 sample of each note (will take a little work) to cover the bass region and load it into a soft sampler across a key map. Then maybe even use UAD's moog filter and then I basically have a minimoog at my disposal. Maybe I'm off with this idea but I think I just stumbled onto a great idea. I just want really some really pure fat punchy bass tone. I listened to the trilogy demos and I didnt like the general sound of the bass tones although maybe I would like some of the moog and sub bass patches. Anyone have any samples they could post from trilogy along the lines of what I'm looking for? Thanks for all your help so far.
Old 3rd October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Your method described above it quite crude - but who knows - it might sound ok - but certainly not like a MiniMoog!

Im not a massive fan of the Trilogy presets - but you can build your own from raw Minimoog/Roland/Oberhiem etc Oscillator waves.

Trust me - unless you want to buy a dedicated monosynth such as a Voyager or Little Phatty - Trilogy is your best option. It is phat.

Get a good software/hardware compressor also. Try Stillwell audio Rocket for good bang for buck compressor.
Old 3rd October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
for reference, the minimoog klangbox is $400 USD. Spectrasonics trilogy is $300 list.

I haven't used either one, but I'd go for the klangbox. it's knobless and likely a challenge...but on a budget...
Old 4th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I also have Zero G Phaedra - which is good for a selection of bass' and leads. Not so good for the pads
I know I should have spent more time on the pads, but the bass sounds I did have every key sampled from the analogs I recorded. The single osc samples even beat vsti synths (which was why I started the Phaedra projeect in the first place).

I'm working on the second project now and pads are getting a lot of attention.

Can you tell me what you thought of Phaedra though... good and bad?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Your method described above it quite crude - but who knows - it might sound ok - but certainly not like a MiniMoog!

Im not a massive fan of the Trilogy presets - but you can build your own from raw Minimoog/Roland/Oberhiem etc Oscillator waves.

Trust me - unless you want to buy a dedicated monosynth such as a Voyager or Little Phatty - Trilogy is your best option. It is phat.

Get a good software/hardware compressor also. Try Stillwell audio Rocket for good bang for buck compressor.
Have you tried it? I seriously suggest you take a listen. I was actually really surprised when I heard the simple wave forms generated by sound forge. Surprisingly similar to a minimoog much more so than arturia software or anything I have heard so far at least to me. Btw do you have any samples I can hear of basic oscillators from trilogy. I'd really like to hear what they sound like raw because so far the overall tone of trilogy (from their online demos) sounds a little too much like software or having gone through their own processing and/or sound engine to me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here are some samples
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here are some samples
I cant be arsed to explain the many ways in which the soundforge generated Oscillators will sound different to a real Moog. But what you have produced is something totally static. Real nanlogue waveforms have imperfections that make them sound interesting. I listened to those waveforms and yes they have some power - but a minimoog they are not - and if you used more than 1 it would prob sound very harsh.

Ill repeat myself for the last time. Trilogy contains Moog and other multisampled real analogue waveforms. You can build your own sounds from them. Dont judge from the small handfull of presets on their page. I have compared the output of Trilogy to my Roland SH2 - it is comparable. This is a real achievement and Im surprised. For the record I despise Arturia and most softsynths. They are Puny as hell. Trilogy sounds phat as it is based on sampled Oscillators.

i seriously advise you not to waste any more time trying to create something usable out of Soundforge raw waves - and buy either Trilogy or Phaedra, but thats the last time I advise on this topic.

Re: Sam

Ive only had Phaedra for a short time - but there are some very nice patches in there - and the quality is great. Sometimes when Im using it tho - it makes me very very melancholie - as I realise how much I would love to own the original instruments. Sometimes not being able to tweak the sound is painful - but seeing as you produced so many - that makes up for it. I especially like the way you produced one patch - then a slightly varied version.
I think with sample based instruments - where you cant and make your own sound like on the original analogue synth - it is a case of safety in numbers - IE the more presets there are - the more likely there is one to suit the particular track....

FWIW Sam - I belivie that in theory there is more call for a well made analogue POLY synth library - as its the classic such as the JP8, OBx P5 etc that are the real expensive ones - you can get a decent analogue monosynth for Β£500 - but the big boys are now way out of reach for many....I guess that was what you found and what lead Phaedra to mostly being a Monosynth sampled library!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Check out the oscilators on the Gforce Mini. They're just like a real minimoog.

GForce Software
Lives for gear

Spectrasonics Trilogy. the best vintage sampled library ever. i always use moog or oberheim saw waves thru trilogy LP filter. killleerrrrr!
Old 5th October 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I cant be arsed to explain the many ways in which the soundforge generated Oscillators will sound different to a real Moog. But what you have produced is something totally static. Real nanlogue waveforms have imperfections that make them sound interesting. I listened to those waveforms and yes they have some power - but a minimoog they are not - and if you used more than 1 it would prob sound very harsh.

Ill repeat myself for the last time. Trilogy contains Moog and other multisampled real analogue waveforms. You can build your own sounds from them. Dont judge from the small handfull of presets on their page. I have compared the output of Trilogy to my Roland SH2 - it is comparable. This is a real achievement and Im surprised. For the record I despise Arturia and most softsynths. They are Puny as hell. Trilogy sounds phat as it is based on sampled Oscillators.

i seriously advise you not to waste any more time trying to create something usable out of Soundforge raw waves - and buy either Trilogy or Phaedra, but thats the last time I advise on this topic.

Re: Sam

Ive only had Phaedra for a short time - but there are some very nice patches in there - and the quality is great. Sometimes when Im using it tho - it makes me very very melancholie - as I realise how much I would love to own the original instruments. Sometimes not being able to tweak the sound is painful - but seeing as you produced so many - that makes up for it. I especially like the way you produced one patch - then a slightly varied version.
I think with sample based instruments - where you cant and make your own sound like on the original analogue synth - it is a case of safety in numbers - IE the more presets there are - the more likely there is one to suit the particular track....

FWIW Sam - I belivie that in theory there is more call for a well made analogue POLY synth library - as its the classic such as the JP8, OBx P5 etc that are the real expensive ones - you can get a decent analogue monosynth for Β£500 - but the big boys are now way out of reach for many....I guess that was what you found and what lead Phaedra to mostly being a Monosynth sampled library!
Do you have any samples from the basic oscillators in trilogy I could hear? I really would just like to hear what I'm buying before shelling out $300. That would be so much appreciated. Thank you for all your help.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Actually I just tried something I never tried after surfing a bunch of forums. Which is just generating a simple sine, triangle, and square wave in Sound forge. Sounds amazingly fat and punchy to me much like a minimoog. Couldn't I just make 1 sample of each note (will take a little work) to cover the bass region and load it into a soft sampler across a key map. Then maybe even use UAD's moog filter and then I basically have a minimoog at my disposal. Maybe I'm off with this idea but I think I just stumbled onto a great idea. I just want really some really pure fat punchy bass tone. I listened to the trilogy demos and I didnt like the general sound of the bass tones although maybe I would like some of the moog and sub bass patches. Anyone have any samples they could post from trilogy along the lines of what I'm looking for? Thanks for all your help so far.
Not entirely new idea....you'd be amazed at the amount of dance tracks that have the test sinewave in akai samplers made into a sub bass.......not sure how it's going to replace a minimoog if that's the specific sound you want, but it certainly works for the right track...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
GForce Software
Old 18th August 2009
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Anyone have suggestions of where to get high quality and great sounding multisampled Moog bass sounds, sub sine waves, 808 samples, and real bass samples. Any good collections on cds/dvds for sale or free on the net? Thanks.
You've had lots of software suggestions already, so I'll go hardware. Buy a Mopho, or if you want a minimum of hassle, find an Oberheim Matrix 1000. Some of the bass patches on the Matrix will send your neighbours packing..
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gratz on bumping a year old thread.
Old 18th August 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 ➑️
you'd be amazed at the amount of dance tracks that have the test sinewave in akai samplers made into a sub bass.......
Very true!
πŸ“ Reply