The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th August 2008
Here for the gear

Detroit Techno

hi guys
im on the hunt for some old synths that were used by all of the classic techno/house detroit producers

after those lush strings and stabby pads/bass etc

can any body give any lists

am i right in thinking

dx7's, junos etc

cheers
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head
Must be a few, but some that I'm pretty sure of are indeed the juno's and the dx's, but also Korg (m1, 707, mono/poly, poly's)‚ sci pro-one, roland jx8p, jd800, Casio CZ's... And for drums I often think to hear the roland r8 besides the more obvious tr x0x's.
A lot of this stuff is still cheap and easy to find, but I reckon that a lot of the sound is also obtained with some good effects and overall production.
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Maniac

juno 106, alpha juno, sh 101, tb 303, dx100

and you are almost there....
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Maniac

Derrick May = DX100, DX21, Mirage, Poly800, Kawai K3, TR909, TR808, TR727, R8.

Juan = MS10, RS09 (Cybotron), Boss DR55 (Cybotron), Pro One, TR909, TR808, Akai S900, Korg Poly 800, DX100,Ensoniq Mirage.

KMS = many many synths! Obviously TR909, the only one of the Bellevue 3 to use TB303.... DX100 or TX81Z for sure, famously uses a sample from the end of "let's get brutal" by Nitro Deluxe as the signature "Inner City" stab.

UR = Monopoly, OBXa, TB303, TR909, TR808, TR727, Alesis drum machines, who knows what else?

Blake = dunno!

Lots of analogue tape, old cheap effect units etc.
Old 19th August 2008
Lots of pretty basic, simple easily attainable stuff.
thumbsup
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

I loved the Juno 106 for that old Detroit vibe.
Of course... 303,606,909,808,101,202,505,707,727 am I missing any?heh

On another note, I love what Blake Baxter is doing now. He's even better when he is teamed with Abe Duque.
Old 19th August 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
I loved the Juno 106 for that old Detroit vibe.
Of course... 303,606,909,808,101,202,505,707,727 am I missing any?heh

On another note, I love what Blake Baxter is doing now. He's even better when he is teamed with Abe Duque.
can you post a link? sort of lost track of the prince
thanks
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
can you post a link? sort of lost track of the prince
thanks
Definately when I get home.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

When I saw UR play a couple years back Mike Banks was rocking a JP-8 and a 101
Old 19th August 2008
Quote:
Definately when I get home.
looking forward to it
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

What I love are the electronic metalic strings. How can I be down with that? If I could add one machines that could make those sounds I'd be happy.
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

"I got my mind made up come on you can get it any time, tonight is fine."

Such a dark and sleazy track!
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
"I got my mind made up come on you can get it any time, tonight is fine."

Such a dark and sleazy track!
I was hoping you were into his stuff, but I should have known.
You are ACIDhazard.heh
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, that's the only record i have =o[ And it took me a few months to find that one! I tried ordering #8, but the store sent me #7, so then i had TWO copies of it =o] I told them, they said UPS would be by to pick it up, but they never showed up. So i just ended up trading the other copy to someone.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Reptil-
I could not come up with links because the spot that I know you can check it out is Beatport.com & the links don't work like that there.
But search these:
Abe Duque
His "So Underground It Hurts" albums is great plus any of the eps on Abe Duque Records are awesome, many feature BB.
as for:
Blake Baxter his tracks:
Fly Away, House Ya, Underground Thang, What Happened, Acid, this list keeps going!!!!

Check em' out!
_d
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Speaking of Abe Duque, if you happen across a copy of "It Moved Me" on vinyl, let me know, i want it.
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Speaking of Abe Duque, if you happen across a copy of "It Moved Me" on vinyl, let me know, i want it.
Take your pick...
Old 9th March 2009
Here for the gear

what are you guys opinions on the korg poly 61 i have seen it used for nice stabs and stringy chords etc, i have seen these for quite a good price

im on a limited budget at the moment and have about 300uk to spend, im considering the poly 61 or going to go a different route and grab a nord micro modular which
any help is much appreciated

T
Old 9th March 2009
I'd suggest getting a Poly-800, have the moogslayer and filter mod done and get the Hawk-800 and AtomaHawk expansions, and you have a powerhouse of an oldschool house synth!

Cheers,
Bert
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Addict

love this thread thanx!thumbsup
Old 9th March 2009
Here for the gear

Anybody else give any comment on my thought for purchase.
Old 9th March 2009
@TRISTAN: The Poly-61 is one of the very few synths that I personally don't like at all, but you should decide that for yourself - try it, and if you like it, get it!
There might be problems with battery leakage like with the Polysix, but I'm not sure. Anyone who knows?

Be aware that the Poly-61 came with or without MIDI, so be sure to get one with MIDI!

@jkamata: Your "F3Xx" bass line rocks!!! What synth did you use on that?

Cheers,
Bert
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISTAN View Post
Anybody else give any comment on my thought for purchase.
I've got one and really like it, it's gritty and buzzy, miles from the VA sound. 300 quid is a lot for one though, I'd expect a pristine Poly 61M or Kenton MIDI'd one for that price. They'll be thin on the ground with MIDI.

I would say it depends on what you've got already. If you have no analogue polys then a Roland JX3P, Alpha Juno, JX8P or Korg DW8000 go for a lot less and have MIDI as standard. Casio CZ1000/3000/5000/1 aren't analogue but have certain parallels, they sound great and can often be found for under 100 quid.
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Recently read about 'A Guy Called Gerald' in Future Music.

He is still using alot of old stuff.......i will dig out that mag and list the gear later for you.

cheers
DS
Old 9th March 2009
Gear Addict

so what about outboard (if they used any)?
Old 9th March 2009
Lives for gear

i think..
303, 909, 606, 707, 727,
poly800
juno-60, jupiter-8, jd-800
oberheim ob-1

spx90
spx900
lexicon lxp1/5/15
ensoniq dp4
digitech time machine
lexicon pcm42, pcm60/70

akai mpc, s1000, or similar
emu emax
proco rat ?
tascam m600,m700,m3500,m3700
Atari 1040

Old 23rd March 2009
Old 25th March 2009
Gear Head

These are all very innovative and fresh up & comers who produce excellent music. Especially Omar-S and the entire FXHE back-catalogue.
Old 14th September 2010
Chicago, Detroit and 90s House sounds/techniques...

Ive noticed the inevitable creep of 90s vibe in the dance music scene and am quite liking some of it...this thread is quite useful for some of the synths

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...se-synths.html

but in terms of technique and melodic style - thats what Im concerned with here:

Chords: Minor 7ths stabs - resampled and scaled outside of standard keys/modes? Very common also with cheap piano style sounds...

What about that hollow sound often used like after 3.mins in this tune:

Is it just a Triangle wave? Thats very 90s...

Similar to some of the style below - anybody care to do the work of working out what the muted chords are? Quite deep...

What are the other techniques and styles? Common samples etc...
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

The sound and feeling of old detroit and chicago house are inevitably linked with the gear used IMO.

Some techniques are very similar to early 90's hip hop, as you can hear in late 90's Theo Parrish, Moodymann etc. Like use a funky lofi sampler like the SP1200 and take a short chord sample (even with drums and other sounds on it) from a soul/jazz/funk record and play it in different keys. The sound of the sampler is really central here, ie you can't do this with kontakt or EXS24.

A very common kick technique is to overdrive the kick (often a 909) to a mic pre of a Mackie VLZ.

Most importantly: keep things dirty, the sounds as they 'are'!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search