The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Guru
Just to add.. if anyone was ever curious about the infamous "Rave Piano" .. not the bouncy M1 house stuff.. it's from this track.

I asked the producer of this track what the source was. He said it was either an ESQ-1 or DX7 mkII. He can't remember

used in many tracks.. such as this
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Yes that IS the sound, i've often wondered about - the other is Bizarre inc playing with knives, it sounds like a a piano sample pitch shifted a couple of times
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Just to add.. if anyone was ever curious about the infamous "Rave Piano" .. not the bouncy M1 house stuff.. it's from this track.

I asked the producer of this track what the source was. He said it was either an ESQ-1 or DX7 mkII. He can't remember
I think it's a DX piano sound, but it's a sampled chord. Probably pinched off vinyl, maybe sold on a sample CD then used by everyone.
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

yeah, that sample was used in a bazillion rave tracks =o]
Old 13th January 2011
Used to death is probably more correct. Very annoying at the time, that and the M1 patch, every single italian house record had it, urgh...

Old 16th January 2011
Lives for gear

Just quietly... I am loving this thread.

As for gear, the SP1200 was very important... as was the Akai S950

Then you have the standard acid house fare - 909s, 303s, Pro Ones (one of the best synths. Period.) and whatever was available for cheap back in the day.
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
I think it's a DX piano sound, but it's a sampled chord. Probably pinched off vinyl, maybe sold on a sample CD then used by everyone.
He said he made a custom patch combining a sitar and harpsichord sound..

years ago on another forum. Ranxerox told me it was an M1 preset called "texas piano" ... which lead me on a wild goose chase... he was wrong. So I've made my duty to share what I've found out.. in case others are looking for this sound and are belittled and told stupid lies.
Old 17th January 2011
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
How do we know he is the originator of that sound?
Old 17th January 2011
Gear Guru
Because he said he made the patch.. he didn't seem like the lying type.

it's also pretty telling also that everyone calls it a piano when its not made of piano sounds..
Old 17th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Because he said he made the patch.. he didn't seem like the lying type.

it's also pretty telling also that everyone calls it a piano when its not made of piano sounds..
It sounds like a sample in that Landlord track, not a synth played directly. I suppose he could have made the patch then sampled it.

By this point it's a sample, is anyone going to go back to the original synth and play the patch? Anyone liking this exact sound would want the sampled minor chord.
Old 19th January 2011
Here for the gear

i feel a total noob now
but i cant get it right
i want to recreate a pad / soundscape something like you heard in alot of deephouse tracks

examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbxCjsZEVhc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8v-Z...eature=related

i think im not allowed to post inpost youtube links at the moment

my daw is ableton
i tried to sample a 7th chord stab made with saws like you make a dubtechno stab
resample it in a sampler loop it with no release and attack with alot of reverb
a some pitch modulation
i took a string sample and sampled the freeze of a reverb with some chorus
but still i dont get the sound rigt
anyone could help me out
Old 23rd January 2011
can someone suggest where this detroit style cold sounding bass (start of track) comes from?

Old 23rd January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
can someone suggest where this detroit style cold sounding bass (start of track) comes from?
Square -> filter -> chorus

First suspect: Juno 60 / 106
Old 23rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Square -> filter -> chorus

First suspect: Juno 60 / 106
thanks Don. EDIT - I think Im getting there now - very low octave...
Old 23rd January 2011

ok Ive replicated the bass sound if anyone is interested using Tal Uno 62 (not bad!) and some vinyl noise, saturation and EQ...bass drum is not quite there but you get the point...

1st 4 bars - original 2nd 4 recreation - 3rd 4bars original etc....
Attached Files

Bass test.wav (5.67 MB, 797 views)

Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Nut

this

Old 23rd January 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
I'd love to know what made the bass they use in a lot of early UR tracks, you really hear it clearly in this tune.

It's not like Solid Bass, it's got a much higher sustain level. So thick and warm, though...
I would say it's a bass made with a DX100.
Most of their bass sounds came from the DX
Old 21st February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Do the DX-7 and DX-100 sound the same? Which is better and which should I get to get that classic Detroit and NY Underground sound? I notice all the artists mention the DX-100 more..isn't the DX-7 better? I'd rather get the "better" one, if they both sound the same..

I am really diggin that old FM sound and I think I need to add at least one FM synth to my set-up and add it to my shopping list for 2011.

I should say that i didnt own DX100. But classic bass presets from DX100 or that yamaha modules, imported as sysex files to DX7, can sound as dirty and gritty as DX100 in early techno tracks. Especially with eq'ing and sometimes some presets editing. But remember, i mean only DX7 mark I, the brown one. Its a great instrument, and some great house producers used it a lot. Think of Larry Heard
Old 28th February 2011
Here for the gear
Detroit stab nitro,saunderson

I know for a damn fact which synth this originates from, if ur intrested let me know, u may not be suprised by the answer.
Old 28th February 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD-VANC3D View Post
I know for a damn fact which synth this originates from, if ur intrested let me know, u may not be suprised by the answer.
DX-100?
Old 28th February 2011
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

I've always wondered...do old school Det, Chi & NY house artists use mainly roland, yamahas, korgs, ensoniq synths and keyboards.... did any of them or many of them use top-shelf premium synths? ..like the P5, big Obies, MiniMoogs, Arps, etc.? I know a lot of jazz funk artists use those premium synths...but what about old school house? ...i Kinda assume/think, no, since many of them started in their basement/bedroom/garage with little money (hence, dx100, casio, 707, etc)

So did old school deep house use top-shelf synths? (then again, jupiters prolly cost much less back in the day)
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I've always wondered...do old school Det, Chi & NY house artists use mainly roland, yamahas, korgs, ensoniq synths and keyboards.... did any of them or many of them use top-shelf premium synths?
if they couldn't get it cheap second hand, they didn't get it - the music came out of the abundance of cheap gear.
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
if they couldn't get it cheap second hand, they didn't get it - the music came out of the abundance of cheap gear.
yeah... they just got down and made some 'ckin music
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Nut
Quote:

i know for a fact, (from speaking to Lovebirds who shared a studio with tensanke)
that he uses the JX-3P alot, he said it was hes favorite. he also owns a
voyager and uses NI Vsts.
Old 2nd April 2011
Here for the gear

do you think you could sample chords with the akai mpc and get a similar sound?
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

This.............
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Pretty famous tone, did it on my Jp8
Attached Files

CCJ_JP8_DetroitStabs.mp3 (409.6 KB, 1188 views)

Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

ok Ive replicated the bass sound if anyone is interested using Tal Uno 62 (not bad!) and some vinyl noise, saturation and EQ...bass drum is not quite there but you get the point...

1st 4 bars - original 2nd 4 recreation - 3rd 4bars original etc....

VX90 can do that, as does the Juno 106
one of my VX90 demos I put in another thread has that exact sound.
at 0:20
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...ccj_ax73_1.mp3

I also remeber getting that tone out of a CS-5 or 10 at a pawn shop once
Old 5th April 2011
Gear Head

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWg2z...eature=related

I have little room with a PC, E-Mu 1212m, Mackie MR5, Cubase 5 with some good sample library.

Any chance to create something like this one (or another chicago house track), or I should give it up?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search