The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

I've always wondered what Kerri Chandler used in the 90's, 2000's and currently, even before I got into this whole production/HW lust. His kicks, bass, chords, vocals, style, everything, just sounds so good.

Anyone know? I am sure it's pure HW, as he even dj's live with reel-to-reel deck on occasion.
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphen V View Post
Thats why i only listen to Emotion Progressive House (not very known)

Check out Yuan, Paul Keeley, Matteo Marini, Thomas Schwartz, Proff... pure emotion music!

i wish one day this genre became mainstream
and i hope that it wont
Old 24th November 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I've always wondered what Kerri Chandler used in the 90's, 2000's and currently, even before I got into this whole production/HW lust. His kicks, bass, chords, vocals, style, everything, just sounds so good.

Anyone know? I am sure it's pure HW, as he even dj's live with reel-to-reel deck on occasion.
Well the 909 part is obvious in the old stuff. He's been using computers for longer than most guys though. He is a very forward-thinking and technologically oriented guy. In addition to the r to r, he's also been known to DJ with a custom wireless controller from out on the dance floor.

Check out this interview from RBMA:
Red Bull Music Academy - Kerri Chandler - Session Transcript
Lots of details in there.
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

I want to know too. His music just sounds so CHUNKY. I have no idea how to make house music sound like that.
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Just watched that KC interview... wow, what a good interview. Thanks for sharing.. I never knew he was such an awesome person.

I wonder if there are any other classic ny/detroit/chi producer interviews on that red bull site.. I see a theo parrish one.. gonna watch it now
Old 24th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just watched that KC interview... wow, what a good interview. Thanks for sharing.. I never knew he was such an awesome person.

I wonder if there are any other classic ny/detroit/chi producer interviews on that red bull site.. I see a theo parrish one.. gonna watch it now
I would check out the Moodymann interview.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

wow...shuffling through the page and there's a lot of them.. redbull MA website = GOLD!

Always love learning about the history, stories and philosophies behind my fave artists
Old 25th November 2010
Gear Nut

This made me smile when I first saw it.

YouTube - Ensoniq Mirage demo
Old 25th November 2010
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

...I gotta stop watching all these red bull lectures lol...as maad interesting as they are, it's messing up my learning/self-teaching schedule. Yesterday was my Juno/CS/Synthesis day, and today was my MPC and music theory day ...I did none and just watched these 3 hour long lectures..lol

Being on GL doesn't help neither
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Do the DX-7 and DX-100 sound the same? Which is better and which should I get to get that classic Detroit and NY Underground sound? I notice all the artists mention the DX-100 more..isn't the DX-7 better? I'd rather get the "better" one, if they both sound the same..

I am really diggin that old FM sound and I think I need to add at least one FM synth to my set-up and add it to my shopping list for 2011.
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do the DX-7 and DX-100 sound the same? Which is better and which should I get to get that classic Detroit and NY Underground sound? I notice all the artists mention the DX-100 more..isn't the DX-7 better? I'd rather get the "better" one, if they both sound the same..

I am really diggin that old FM sound and I think I need to add at least one FM synth to my set-up and add it to my shopping list for 2011.
They sound completely different. Not many house producer used DX7. I would recommend TX81Z. It has a legendary bass sound (Lately Bass) used in a lot of hit house tunes.

The golden standard of house music set up is probably: Juno 106 or Juno 60, M1, D50, Akai S900, 950 or MPC60, SP1200, EIII. I remember many producers in NY was using EMU Proteus series and Oberheim M1000 (I don't really remember the name, 1U cheap analog preset synth.) Effects are PCM42, LEXICON reverbs, Alesis Midiverb, Roland Dimension, DBX comp etc. Many producers were mixing songs on SSL, because only SSL had a usable mute automation at that time. Do not forget ANALOG 24 tracks tape (IMPORTANT!) and mix onto Panasonic DAT, digital 16 bit master tape (Important?)
Old 27th November 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tip on the TX81Z... I don't think I can go wrong with it, as it's dirt cheap

My collection of sounds and hardware is similar to what you listed. I have a Juno 60, Mirage, MPC 60, 909, 505, RZ-1, CS-10, Midiverb II, 3630, Bass Station.

Planning to get better effects next year (reverb, delay, real compressors) and an 808. But I am thinking of needing more sounds, and an FM synth and maybe an M1 will be added to my list as well.
Old 27th November 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
and sorry if i'm getting genre names mixed up here, I can't ever keep this stuff straight
Not directly classic Detroit techno ...

...but you can hear a lot of influence in the work of Luke Slater:

Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

i'd say Slater's PSA work definitely fits sound-wise. Sure it's not strictly Detroit, and more 2nd wave if you want to be exacting. He was inspired by records from guys like KMS and ran in his own direction with it.
That's how it usually goes, anyway: an American plays it 1st, and then a Brit spits it right back at us; often in a more studied, 'refined' polished form.

my humble contribution; this record meant a lot to me at the time:

btw if u happen to have it on wax...it transitions extremely well into Soul Oddity's 'little alien'
Old 28th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagger288 View Post
Hi all,

Last year I got really turned on to the whole "techno" genre by hearing music by drexciya and arpanet, which completely blew my mind with its originality and sound. Fast forward a year and I haven't really found any other stuff in this genre that I like as much, and I figure it's because I don't know the right place to look! What is some great classic techno, maybe similar to the aforementioned artists?

I did some research, and found that I liked Carl Craig, and also Paperclip People, Lab rat XL. I also enjoy dopplereffekt, though it is a little too dry for me sometimes. Nothing else has really blown my socks off like drex did though!

and sorry if i'm getting genre names mixed up here, I can't ever keep this stuff straight
Drexciya is untouchable, legendary, brilliant music toward the electro side of techno. Or the techno side of electro. So I'll suggest a few classics I love toward the techno side of techno.

The Martian (Mad Mike) - everything, "Wardance" is my personal favorite.
Octave One - everything, "Terraforming"
Red Passion (Robt. Hood) - "Duet"
Suburban Knight - "The Art of Stalking"
Esser (Kevin Saunderson) - "Forces"

and later:

Dark Comedy (Kenny Larkin) - everything
Heath Brunner - check out "Senses / Spring" on KMS
Anthony "Shake" Shakir - everything on Frictional
Carl Craig - "Landcruising"

You can find great music by going sideways into house, or back into disco, funk, new wave. But I think this is the stuff you are looking for now.
Old 28th November 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
Sure it's not strictly Detroit, and more 2nd wave if you want to be exacting.
The 2nd wave was my favorite. Some great tracks. Too bad i lost all those tapes... don't even remember bands names. I guess i should open another thread about Detroit Techno 2nd wave and ask for some references.
Old 28th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft9000 View Post
i'd say Slater's PSA work definitely fits sound-wise. Sure it's not strictly Detroit, and more 2nd wave if you want to be exacting. He was inspired by records from guys like KMS and ran in his own direction with it.
That's how it usually goes, anyway: an American plays it 1st, and then a Brit spits it right back at us; often in a more studied, 'refined' polished form.

my humble contribution; this record meant a lot to me at the time:

btw if u happen to have it on wax...it transitions extremely well into Soul Oddity's 'little alien'
I HAVE THAT ON WAX!!! HAHA I didn't know that was Carl Craig. I bought it in 92 thinking it was an Acid Jazz single lol. I love it though.
Old 28th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weststar View Post
Can anyone break down the synth that comes in at :51 sec in Reckless With Your Love? I've been trying to achieve that sound for so long. I got the delay and reverb pretty close, but when it actually comes down to the sound, I'm lost!
I would bet that sound is from a virtual instrument plugin. In Sylenth there are several PRESETS very close to the sound you talk about. For sure there is some 5th note pitch on some oscilaltor.

I think nowdays you can live without classic original hardware machines from 90's if you need just the sounds. But you need them to use the same technics from the 90's.
Old 28th November 2010
Old 30th November 2010
Here for the gear

Love Derrick May, UR, Octave One, Maurizio, Basic Channel, etc

I'll add 69 (Carl Craig) - Desire. Song just kills me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGDOyKPjK1s
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Goldie View Post
My all time favorite Octave One track (all three tracks on the EP are great):

wow - i have been trying to remember the name of this track for 14 years. thanks.
Old 30th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Also...
Thanks for the tip on this one. Ended up buying the download of Galaxy 2 Galaxy, and really loving the jazzy Detroit vibe. Quality stuff !! thumbsup
Old 1st December 2010
Lives for gear

Good grief, a 2 page detroit techno thread and not one mention of KMS

(inner city)

Old 1st December 2010
Gear Addict
high tech soul is a good dvd.
Old 1st December 2010
great thread guys.... !!!thumbsup
Its always nice digging back memories of "the good old days"
89/92 still is the best music...
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Head

cool
Old 12th January 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupert_lagerfeld View Post
anyone knows what consoles / mixers they have used ?
I know a lot of producers back then used a Mackie CR-1604. In fact i don't know who didn't had one.
Old 12th January 2011
Lives for gear

yeah they were ubiquitous due to the price/decent quality
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Head

thanks for your info !!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search