The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th November 2010
Lives for gear

If you like melodic stuff', that's my fav' Red Planet of them all:

and my fav' Derrick may mix:

Also...
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

My all time favorite Octave One track (all three tracks on the EP are great):

Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Can't resist one more... One of my all time favorite tracks... Model 500, 1995, i think Maurizio (Basic Channel) was involved:

Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Big fan of Maurizio engineering skills but this remix of the same track beats it hands down! Although, it's totally inspired. by the Basic Channel sound...
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

since no one's posted this one yet, more juan!

i really like this cover of it

andd some more drexciya

can we just give drexciya the award for like best user of the 808 ever? i think they must have had an 808 in every single track practically.
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Might as well mention the 2nd wave stuff:

(cant beleive no one has mention Dopplereffekt)

and of course this:

Old 20th November 2010
Gear Head

thanks again everyone for all your awesome suggestions!
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Dan Bell - Phreak
One of my all time favourite minimal tickers.

Old 20th November 2010
DSK
Lives for gear

Theo Parrish needs a mention..

"Sounds of the City" on Vimeo
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Check out the Flux Trax compilations, every track is solid gold: Various - Flux Trax 02 (CD) at Discogs
Old 20th November 2010
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator;6026731
Check out the Flux Trax compilations, every track is solid gold: [URL="http://www.discogs.com/Various-Flux-Trax-02/release/62655"
Various - Flux Trax 02 (CD) at Discogs[/URL]
The first box set has all the classic stuff like Acperience, Acid Trax, It Is What It Is etc., but this box set has the brilliant Cubic 22 version of Golden Girls' Kinetic (basically it was Orbital), LFO's LFO and the epic David Holmes' remix of Smokeblech II.

Definite .
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator View Post

Check out the Flux Trax compilations, every track is solid gold: Various - Flux Trax 02 (CD) at Discogs
Sorry man but the OP asked for classic Detroit /Chicago tunes. This compilation has nothing to do with it. It doesn't represent what the Detroit/Chicago sound is about at all...
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Sorry man but the OP asked for classic Detroit /Chicago tunes. This compilation has nothing to do with it. It doesn't represent what the Detroit/Chicago sound is about at all...
Oh yeah- Juan Atkins had nothing to do with detroit techno, and the music on this compilation is completely different from what the OP wants to hear.
Model 500 'The Chase' is in no way a seminal recording. I might as well have recommended some Klaus Wunderlich for all the relevance my post had.

Apologies. My bad.
Old 20th November 2010
Lives for gear

A parallel drex project which haven't been mentionned yet:

An epic one by Scan X:

Old 21st November 2010
Lives for gear

UR

followed by DJ Rolando mid to late 90's onwards ::love this ::

Been listening to Stacey Pullen (Detroit Based DJ) tonight great skills

Big love for paperclip people here too!
Old 21st November 2010
Gear Maniac

Just for the record, whilst we're on the subject of UR, my all-time favourite groove is this classic from the label.....

Raw funk dripping off vinyl, beautiful!

It was played to death by everyone (including myself) after it appeared but rightly so as it's majestic!

Also falling into that category is.....

Another fine groove from Rolando taken to a higher dimension by Mike Banks magnificent string arrangement.

Did I mention I love that label? :-)
Old 23rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Can anyone break down the synth that comes in at :51 sec in Reckless With Your Love? I've been trying to achieve that sound for so long. I got the delay and reverb pretty close, but when it actually comes down to the sound, I'm lost!
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Are you talking about this track?

This might help.

RA: Azari & III DJ Feed

from the article
The groove was built from an extended jam involving up to 16 pieces of kit syncing simultaneously (a kick from this, hihat from that, toms from here pads from there, all run through Neve 1064s, Distressors, 1176s, Retro 176s, H3000s etc, Otari MTR 90MKII...) and then arranged into a more song oriented sequence once recorded.
A couple of our staples are an MPC60, TR808, 909 and 707, TB303, Jupiter and Juno 6, as well as an EMU Emulator and massive sample disk library previously owned by Todd Rundgren. Flea 47 and 49, Neumann U87 microphones for vocals, as well as custom made C12 clones.
Old 23rd November 2010
Here for the gear

I was hoping for something more specific to the sound I referred to at :51 in the video.

Thanks for pointing that article out though! Nice to know what gear the use and whatnot.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Sounds like the Solid Bass/Lately Bass presets from the DX-100/TX81Z synths. But that kind of synth stab is easy as hell to achieve.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
Its why I have been soo obsessed with old school detroit techno/house. The music had loads of soul in it. Its something i try to do with my music.

Glad to hear its coming back. The goldfrapp remix was great, no friggin excessive swing, and groovy and soulful! Just what ive been waiting to come back. this is inspiring.

Listening to detroit techno is what makes me want to make music.
DITTO. I've grown tired just "playing" and djing classic underground NY and Detroit house for the past 10 years... it's just too nice sounding to leave it at that and I feel I must make some of my own.

Man, this is the best thread yet! Just came across it and read every page.

This thread makes me want an FM now (dx-7 or 100), I love that FM sound, but I hear its a bit tricky to learn FM, and I am already soo backed up on my other gear I have accumulated over the past first 2 months of getting into production and am learning still.. had to make a mon-sun schedule to keep me organized, kinda similar to a class schedule since I am no longer in college and miss it,, ha.
Old 23rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Here's a good example of chords done with the SP1200:

wow that just got me movin. i need all of those sounds!
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaos_ View Post
wow that just got me movin. i need all of those sounds!
You should just call them up and ask for them. Thats why they put the phone number on the record. 212-730-7160. Don't keep them waiting, they are expecting to hear from you. heh
Old 23rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Sounds like the Solid Bass/Lately Bass presets from the DX-100/TX81Z synths. But that kind of synth stab is easy as hell to achieve.
How would you do it? I tried layering saws and/or pwm waves in all kinds of different settings but I can't get it close.
Old 23rd November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
How would you do it? I tried layering saws and/or pwm waves in all kinds of different settings but I can't get it close.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

What are the most commonly used and resampled type of chords for Detroit and Underground Lofty type NY house?

Minor 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths? I think major chords sound too happy and not as "blue" as minors, unless flattening the 7th, which makes it closer to a minor. What about pentatonic chords? Major or minor pentatonics? And after you resample it, which modes/scales do you think sound the best? I think pentatonics and blues scales sound pretty nice. Haven't tried the other modes yet, or bebop style with a diff descending than ascending mode scale... will try it soon and practice bebop more.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weststar View Post
I use a Square wave. Amp ADSR set to full...
A:0
D:10
S:10
R:0

Filter ADSR...
A:0
D:3-5
S:0
R:0

Keep the cut off on the filter mid to low, no or low resonance. If your synth happens to have a Chord Memory option, all the better. Or you could sample the chord. Try the settings above and tweak to taste. And don't forget the reverb =o]
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
Minor 7ths, 9ths, 11ths, 13ths? I think major chords sound too happy and not as "blue" as minors, unless flattening the 7th, which makes it closer to a minor. What about pentatonic chords? Major or minor pentatonics? And after you resample it, which modes/scales do you think sound the best? I think pentatonics and blues scales sound pretty nice. Haven't tried the other modes yet, or bebop style with a diff descending than ascending mode scale... will try it soon and practice bebop more.
Use the ones you like the sound of.
Old 23rd November 2010
Lives for gear

I was just messing around coming up with some rave chords and I noticed the Korg ms2000/microkorg dwgs wave: "5thwave1" sounds pretty good with the amp env at 0-20-0-0 filter env 0-15-0-0 filet cutoff 55 res 0 eg1 int +12.

Play chords drenched in verb. Nice, nothing special but a good jump off point.
Old 24th November 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Sounds and techniques are one thing, but what most of the classics have are great HOOKS and CATCHY MELODIES! Emotion doesn't come in a box, and thats whats missing from a lot of todays, tech, house, minimal whatever...

Thats why i only listen to Emotion Progressive House (not very known)

Check out Yuan, Paul Keeley, Matteo Marini, Thomas Schwartz, Proff... pure emotion music!

i wish one day this genre became mainstream

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search