The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Just felt the need to share these:

Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNtErFaCe View Post
Longtime lurker, first time poster

Mike
Welcome Mike!!

Huge fan of the Audio Assault tunes, especially Phaze 4 (The Mind Transfer)
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

One of my mates named his new born daughter "Nicolette" after the Octave One track Simon just posted
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Most likely a Pro-One for sure.
Didn;t know that was a Pro-1. I used to play Vortex quite a bit.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

You guys heard this Carl Craig mix of GoodLife ?
YouTube - Good Life (Carl Craig Remix) - Inner City
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
In the UK technotronic was being played in the cheesey clubs as well, I was dancing to it at under 18's discos in my two tones!
I'm in Scotchland. I used too borrow ID from my older mates and go to the over 18's. Used too have to save my dinner money all week from school and combine it with my pocket money to afford it
Old 17th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
In the UK technotronic was being played in the cheesey clubs as well, I was dancing to it at under 18's discos in my two tones!
I have a suprisingly distinct memory of jumping up and down to Pump Up The Jam in a sweaty disused tyre warehouse in East London in 1989 before the commercial clubs got hold of it. The track was absolutely banging! Still love that bassline, fantastic sound!
Old 17th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Welcome Mike!!

Huge fan of the Audio Assault tunes, especially Phaze 4 (The Mind Transfer)
Hi networkacid, thanks man! That's probably my favourite track from back then too heh If memory serves me well it was just CZ-1000, TB-303, TR-707 and a Cheetah SX16 sampler, a bit of insomnia and I wrote the track in one sitting on headphones at around 3am.

Gonna be doing some new acid stuff this weekend, I'll be uploading to Soundcloud when it's done.
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a suprisingly distinct memory of jumping up and down to Pump Up The Jam in a sweaty disused tyre warehouse in East London in 1989 before the commercial clubs got hold of it. The track was absolutely banging! Still love that bassline, fantastic sound!
I have a distinct memory of dancing to that circa 1990, in the disco at the Ruda holiday park in Croyde when I was about 10 years old.
That, along with Adamski's Killer & Madonna's Vogue.

Ahh... the final days of actually having half decent music in the pop charts.
Old 18th September 2010
mnm
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Yes, usually several levels down.
There was some crap to come out the D and Chicago, but over here Technotronic were pretty much seen as cheesey 1 (s)hit wunders.
They sound better, to me, than a lot of the stuff being presented here
now and back then, same Marrs and a few others.

I'd been playing synths and clubbing for +8 yrs by 1990 so came from a different perspective than a 16/18yrs old kid going to his first couple of clubs nights.
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM View Post
They sound better, to me, than a lot of the stuff being presented here
now and back then, same Marrs and a few others.

I'd been playing synths and clubbing for +8 yrs by 1990 so came from a different perspective than a 16/18yrs old kid going to his first couple of clubs nights.
They sound better to you and probably 90% of people I know .he he. Stuff from Detroit and Chicago were never exactly popular. The stuff you mention were all Top 10 chart hits(not that there's anyhting wrong with that).
I was 13 when I started in 1989, so yeah you'd been around the block once or twice by the then
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Any idea what kind of Flanger Paul Johnson was using ? YouTube - Traxmen - Playing With a Rubberband
Old 18th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Any idea what kind of Flanger Paul Johnson was using ? YouTube - Traxmen - Playing With a Rubberband

Throw any flanger into high feedback and you'll get that sound. It's all in the what you feed it and the sequences used.

But the more i listen, it almost sounds like a delay with a VERY short delay time and high feedback. Seems like he's playing with the Delay Rate a bit as well.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Throw any flanger into high feedback and you'll get that sound. It's all in the what you feed it and the sequences used.

But the more i listen, it almost sounds like a delay with a VERY short delay time and high feedback. Seems like he's playing with the Delay Rate a bit as well.
I've only ever used digital flangers and can never quite get it. The feedback texture always sounds wrong.
I figured it was analogue Flanger with"manual" knob ,but your right, it could be delay.

It sounds like P.J. and DJ Funk used the same piece of gear on a few releases.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Boss DR-660 for the above.
Old 19th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi networkacid, thanks man! That's probably my favourite track from back then too heh If memory serves me well it was just CZ-1000, TB-303, TR-707 and a Cheetah SX16 sampler, a bit of insomnia and I wrote the track in one sitting on headphones at around 3am.

Gonna be doing some new acid stuff this weekend, I'll be uploading to Soundcloud when it's done.

Mike I'm sure I have some of your tracks in storage, got to go through them again soon so Ill look through; Rising High were huge at the time.

don't know if you ever visited the south coast but there was a club called Sterns (Interdance) your music must have been doing the damage therethumbsup

Carl Cox, John Digweed they owe a lot to that place. Carl Cox used to been known as the "3 deck wizard"heh, remember him playing 3 copies of this track that sampled Pacman; not as cheesey as it sounds.. found out recently that it was by Aphex Twin.
Old 21st September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I might be super wrong here, but I think it might be the delay in the mpc3000
that is the flanger.
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Most likely a Pro-One for sure. I can get a lot of the old ravey bass sounds UR used on my Pro-One. Especially that tone on this. This is almost certainly a Pro-One
would love to know what was used in ur-003 - entering quadrant 5

absolutely love this tune
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru View Post
would love to know what was used in ur-003 - entering quadrant 5
lfo to pwm - the bizarro effect is the sequence clashing with the LFO rate. it sounds to have then put thru a bit of chorus.
Old 21st September 2010
Lives for gear

Yikes, that sounds like a huge train wreck.
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

Can anybody please tell me what the attached noise comes from? It's an organ sound used in a lot of 90's house. Different from the other ones brought up in this thread as far as I could tell. Thanks in advance!
Attached Files

AIR Airport Stab Riff B-C.wav (1,020.8 KB, 1583 views)

Old 21st September 2010
Gear Guru

SR-JV80-11

Preset called "Igor Circus" but I suspect it's older than that. Perhaps included on some factory disc?
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
SR-JV80-11

Preset called "Igor Circus" but I suspect it's older than that. Perhaps included on some factory disc?
Thanks that's gotta be the one! I don't really understand what you mean by the factory disc part though? For a completely different synth or what?

EDIT: Nevermind I see what you mean. I didn't realize what you had linked me to was an expansion. Would like to find this or a way to make the synth in a VSTi.
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoma1200 View Post
EDIT: Nevermind I see what you mean. I didn't realize what you had linked me to was an expansion.

Would like to find this or a way to make the synth in a VSTi.
Roland's still milking these waveforms after 15 years (the SRX Dance expansion probaby still contains them). So the answer to that is probably no.

Lots of these sounds were sampler-based; the importance of a sampler in the studio (with the advent of multitimbral virtual analogs and plugins) as well as the concept of audio tracks has sharply decreased.

In a sense, it's good since you're dealing with something better, faster and more flexible. No need to be miserly with memory because you have to cram vocals and instruments and drums in those 2 or 4 megabytes. Nobody liked dealing with fickle floppy disks anyway.

On the other hand, interesting tricks like looping noise for FM-like textures have been lost, and constructing sample sets has been outsourced. The Prodigy's "Experience" album sounds as it does because of the sampler and all that's been loaded in there.
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

To get a 90s sound nowadays you also have to remember not to use all the features available in DAWs nowadays. No fancy audio edits, glitches etc. Keep fx to fairly standard delays reverbs choruses etc.
The classic boxes like the 909, 707, 303 are a good basis and of course sampling you synths.
Here's a track that I had released laset year that was aiming at an oldskool 90s vibe...
lowkey+nude - Easter- low key operations - SoundCloud
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIRTY 1200 View Post
I might be super wrong here, but I think it might be the delay in the mpc3000
that is the flanger.
If your going to be wrong you may as well be super wrong

I don't think Paul and DJ Funk copuld have afforded an MPC3000 back then.
Can you play with the delay on the 3000 in real time ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
Boss DR-660 for the above.
I listened to some DR-660 demo's and it does indeed have Dance Mania written all over it

I've been getting kind of close with some modulated comb filters and equally "close but no cigar" using modulated delay.(Both in plug in format as my real delays dont go short enough)
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Just my 0.02$ : I think it is kinda of silly to obsess about what sound was done with what synth, at the end of the day it is the type of sound that really matters and that sound usually can be reproduced on a number of machines. When I saw UR play a couple years ago at a party during the fest, Mike had a Motif, JP-8 and a Sh101 and they pretty much did all the "hits" with just that. It sounded just fine
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
I don't think Paul and DJ Funk copuld have afforded an MPC3000 back then.
Can you play with the delay on the 3000 in real time ?
Yes you can play with the delay in realtime on the MPC3000
Old 22nd September 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dIRTY 1200 View Post
Yes you can play with the delay in realtime on the MPC3000
those guys were very busy during that time period.. and not just in the states.
PJ was DJ'ing non-stop. i'm sure he could afford a MPC3000.
Old 22nd September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I listened to some DR-660 demo's and it does indeed have Dance Mania written all over it
Yeah, I forget if it was the chorus or the delay...
but you can turn it with the knob in real time.

I've got a SX700 I keep around for those "****ty"
90s FX. Plus the RSS. I'll have to see if I can
get the same effect with that. I'm surprised some
of the included FX in DAWs can't do it... or something
like Cycling 74.

Pretty sure I can get similar stuff in my Lexicon
Vortex too, but I don't think that was in use on those
records.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search