The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
And i'm not convinced that Inner City sampled that sound.
Well, Kevin Saunderson is convinced. heh Here's what i found (though it's obvious it is exactly the same sound, but never the less...). "Astonishing as it may be, Kevin Saunderson told his friend Mark Archer that the main synthesizer timbres on "Big Fun" were sampled from "Let's Get Brutal" (1986) by the New York project Nitro Deluxe." - source

Quote:
If you listen to the original N.D. track, there is no place where that stab is solo.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

I'll be damned! Myth confirmed =o]
Old 15th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Varaldo View Post
I wonder if it could also be the Matrix-12.... as we all know from the CD sleeve, Technotronic's Pump Up The Jam album was Matrix-12 and has the similar "flavor"
Fantastic info! I always wondered what was responsible for those thundering Technotronic basses. Never heard other production with that kind of bass power and cutting at the same time. Great timeless production, particularly Pump Up The Jam single and This Beat, sounds good to this day. Can't figure out how come they went down the hill so fast... switched to some poor plastic sounding bass lines... eg. Hey Yoh
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

The Pump up the Jam Kick just punches through that bass sooo so well, you can turn it up and up and it just sounds better, as you said timeless production
Old 15th September 2010

Quote:
I'll be damned! Myth confirmed =o]
heh heh heh

Anyway... if you have original Nitro Deluxe single, set the record player needle to the last few seconds of the track...and...

...voila there it is!

The solo chord stab as used by Inner City.
Old 15th September 2010

Ha! Here it is even better explained:

YouTube - Inner City - Chord Sample

EDIT: ignore the fact he is playing Good Life... just wanted to show you where is the sample located on ND's record. Because according to Marshall Jefferson they used actual keyboards for Good Life. Though now when i listen more carefully this chord stab sounds identical as on Good Life... particularly when it is transposed it has the same timbre as ND's chord stab. Now i'm getting confused....
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Cool! The beginning of that track was sampled on Altern-8 Brutal-8 too
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Stocks and shares in roland mv just went up lol
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

I'd love to know what made the bass they use in a lot of early UR tracks, you really hear it clearly in this tune.

It's not like Solid Bass, it's got a much higher sustain level. So thick and warm, though...
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
I'd love to know what made the bass they use in a lot of early UR tracks, you really hear it clearly in this tune.
SEquential Pro -1 ? They used to play live with one of those.

Thats one of my favourite releases. I wish Mike would release more like that and the acid rain stuff.
Old 15th September 2010
Gear Maniac

I love the US and UK house and Garage scene from the 1990's. The music still moves me. It saddens me to hear some of the ****e they classify as House/ Garage these days.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldeneye13 View Post
I love the US and UK house and Garage scene from the 1990's. The music still moves me. It saddens me to hear some of the ****e they classify as House/ Garage these days.
Its why I have been soo obsessed with old school detroit techno/house. The music had loads of soul in it. Its something i try to do with my music.

Glad to hear its coming back. The goldfrapp remix was great, no friggin excessive swing, and groovy and soulful! Just what ive been waiting to come back. this is inspiring.

Listening to detroit techno is what makes me want to make music.
Old 16th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by genieg View Post
I think this may have gone off topic regarding actual elements... so to put it slightly back on track a lot of early hardcore tracks circa 90, 91, 92 before it went too mickey mouse they were doing a lot of chord resampling and lifting chunks off records; Reinforced , Suburban Base, Moving Shadow, XL to name a few.
Now you're talking my era! I used to release a lot of stuff around that time on Rising High, Sapho, Movin Shadow etc.. happy to join in any oldskool hardcore production discussion heh

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Mike
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Hi Mike maybe you could share some of the tricks you were doing back then.. big fan of Rising High .. welcomethumbsup
Old 16th September 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNtErFaCe View Post
Now you're talking my era! I used to release a lot of stuff around that time on Rising High, Sapho, Movin Shadow etc.. happy to join in any oldskool hardcore production discussion heh
Welcome, and good to have you here! thumbsup

I'm most curious about reverbs you used back then. And of course, which tape machine did this all got recorded?
Old 16th September 2010

Thanks for the nice welcomes heh

I had the use of two 'studios' back then. I had a small setup in my bedroom and I also worked at a videogames company doing sound fx / music for the games and had the use of their facilities during down time.

At home I had an Alesis Midiverb II and some old H H digital echo which was absolutely filthy sounding! Everything was recorded to a Sony portable DAT TCD-D3

At the games place I had a Boss SE-50 and an Alesis Microverb 3. Recording was done on a Tascam DA30 DAT

For other effects such as chorus / flange / distortion I used to use Boss pedals.

Pretty basic stuff!
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

At home I had an Alesis Midiverb II [...]
You know, - the MidiVerb II was my main effect processor in the '90s. I'm of the same "era" as you / Don / Clusterchord / Roginator etc. and loved that box. A few years ago, when I had the brilliant idea of "selling (almost) everything and go IN THE BOX" I sold it and switched to software effects. (Now I regained my sanity and going back to HW)

This summer in my mother's attic I found many, many of my 4-track demo tapes of that period (1987-1995) and couldn't believe how good the Midiverb II sounded.... I also seem to remember a thread with Craig Anderton who said people thought he had used a PCM-70 for his album, and instead he had used a Midiverb II
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I also seem to remember a thread with Craig Anderton who said people thought he had used a PCM-70 for his album, and instead he had used a Midiverb II
i use a MIDIVerb 4 - it doesn't sound as nice :(
Old 16th September 2010

Quote:
At home I had an Alesis Midiverb II
I just knew you will say Midiverb II. thumbsup

Quote:
This summer in my mother's attic I found many, many of my 4-track demo tapes of that period (1987-1995) and couldn't believe how good the Midiverb II sounded.... I also seem to remember a thread with Craig Anderton who said people thought he had used a PCM-70 for his album, and instead he had used a Midiverb II
And i just bought one (minute ago) off eBay for 50 bucks. heh

There was no point delaying this when so many people swear over this unit!!!

Happy like a kid!
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

You'll like it, Don thumbsup

I remember reading an interview on Keyboard magazine of the time to the Alesis guy who wrote the software for the Midiverb II, I'll try to find it, it was interesting.

The III and IV are "too clean" , the I and II are the good ones... sometimes older is better (and in the case of analog synthesizers.... it's an axiom heh )
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Maniac

Buy a kawai spectra or the rack version

use chorder in cubase 5 with some major 7th chords etc and all that stuff and hey presto.Seriously the Kawai spectra nails that sound like no other synth i used , underpin it with a dx100 and the usual suspects and its very easy to get that sound.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

I found that Midiverb II thread.... Great information on the Midiverb II. One of the MVII designers left the MI industry and went on to produce beer... so the II is a one off
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Addict

funnilly enough the last few months ive been on a retro detroit (or at least detroit influenced) tip.

tracks like this one

http://clone.nl/9e3d3bd866c221a804712ce31b969733.m3u
or

or

or something more recent (although you wouldn't know!)

and countless others ,have so much emotion!!

perfect late night driving electronic music
(and responsible for my FM buying spree!!)

needless to say many of the sounds are yamaha FM synths
(not only the tx81z lately bass sound...)
pads, sine pitch-shifted melodies... etx ,noisy sounds...
also a lot of TR707 / SH101 ... cheap stuff basically...
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf studios View Post
Buy a kawai spectra or the rack version

use chorder in cubase 5 with some major 7th chords etc and all that stuff and hey presto.Seriously the Kawai spectra nails that sound like no other synth i used , underpin it with a dx100 and the usual suspects and its very easy to get that sound.

Funny you mention the Spectra. I've been looking for one for a bit now =o]
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

Longtime lurker, first time poster

Mike

You mean you did THIS record???

Audio Assault - Planet 303 EP. at Discogs
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
heh heh heh

Anyway... if you have original Nitro Deluxe single, set the record player needle to the last few seconds of the track...and...

...voila there it is!

The solo chord stab as used by Inner City.

I only have the MP3, so maybe this part got cut off.
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
SEquential Pro -1 ? They used to play live with one of those.

Thats one of my favourite releases. I wish Mike would release more like that and the acid rain stuff.

Most likely a Pro-One for sure. I can get a lot of the old ravey bass sounds UR used on my Pro-One. Especially that tone on this. This is almost certainly a Pro-One

Old 16th September 2010

Quote:
You mean you did THIS record???

Audio Assault - Planet 303 EP. at Discogs
Yeah that's one of mine from a long time ago
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like we got another Q n A here?
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I remember first hearing Acid Music on an old DJ Hyperactive mix tape in 1993. That slidey ascending 303 line has always been one of my faves. I've never been able to find a vinyl copy though =o[ Great stuff!

thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search