The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
Nah, I'm not going to beat up on people for using modern DAWs. .
It's pretty hard to with people like Ultradyne ,Juan Atkins ,etc producing stuff that's just as good as when they weren't using Ableton.
ANd they still sound more like themselves more than each other. It's not like when they switched to DAWs they started sounding the same as each other.
Robert hood isn't like "dam I wish Ritchie Hawtin would stop using DAws,he sounds just like me now"".
Old 21st December 2015
Gear Head

detroit tecno with dx7 ?

anyone can advise me how can i get that sound? I have dx7 i don't know how to program it but with the 2 roms i have they have no quite nice sounds. Only one bass
Old 21st December 2015
I think it's the people, not the tools.
Somehow the nineties were more... empty. no internet, no mobile phones.
futurism was painting on an empty canvas. science fiction inspired many techno artists.
techno is far from dead though, just as (chicago) house music isn't.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

All hardware, but it's not the gear, but the one behind all the gear.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

What is perhaps missing from the analysis is that people using DAWs who 'still sound like themselves' had to develop their style and personal voice, ideas, and approach with limited means, so the DAW becomes an easier way to work since they've already solved the crucial part, but now they simply have greater latitude and possibilities.

Starting on a DAW may be detrimental to developing these attributes since the possibilities are endless and the tweakesr rathole beckons. The result may be (in some cases) looking for someone/something to copy in order to learn the tool, then finding that one has not developed a voice. Then we all start to go HW to fill in that essential part of the process since the limited palette focuses our creativity.
“My freedom thus consists in my moving about within the narrow frame that I have assigned to myself for each one of my undertakings. I shall go even further: my freedom will be so much the greater and more meaningful the more narrowly I limit my field of action and the more I surround myself with obstacles. Whatever diminishes constraint diminishes strength. The more constraints one imposes, the more one frees oneself of the claims that shackle the spirit.”
— Igor Stravinsky, Poetics of Music
It is certainly always the craftsman and not the tools, but maybe starting with unlimited tools is a disadvantage of sorts. Stravinsky was one of the most brilliant composers to ever live and he was by no means ambiguous on his feelings on the matter.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
ANd they still sound more like themselves more than each other. It's not like when they switched to DAWs they started sounding the same as each other.
They already had their own defined sound and character going into it. I think a big part of Abletonitis is that people who are new to production and start with ableton fall into it's tropes more easily.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
They already had their own defined sound and character going into it.
But they did that at a time when every one was using the same tools. It may not have been Ableton, but still.
There are a few artists from late 80's and early 90's house/techno where their early releases aren't representative of what they became known for. It took them a while to define their own sound,
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted User
I always thought Ableton was sh!t with it's cartoony GUI, tbh i don't see any appeal with that DAW. But it's not the tools, it's down to person/user behind them that gives their music character.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I always thought Ableton was sh!t with it's cartoony GUI, tbh i don't see any appeal with that DAW. But it's not the tools, it's down to person/user behind them that gives their music character.
what a silly ass comment. if you haven't figured out by now that Ableton is about far more than just its GUI, i don't even know where to start with the lambasting. not even worth explaining, there's no excuse for ignorance like this these days. especially from someone who should be able to see a few minutes of Live in action and know exactly what its strengths are over something else. instead, all you see is a "cartoony GUI". unreal.
Old 21st December 2015
Deleted User
oh! do excuse me, having used ableton before, i still think it's a rather crap DAW.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear
Ableton is ****.
Old 22nd December 2015
Gear Maniac

Ableton is ****...king awesome.

It does get a bad wrap tho off the back of excessive marketing to the skrillex generation and mashup-y style music. But as a set of tools it is extremely flexible.
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

ableton rocks
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

Awesome gig coming up here in February...not often you get to see Derrick May on warmup duties
Jeff Mills on 4 turntables + 909
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

I use Ableton for jamming, and Cubase 8.5 Pro for recording and mixing. Why? I guess I'm used to the latter, and it seems just more geared up for this kind of use.

There is some great new dance music out there like in the nineties. I guess when you look back at an era, you always think of the most positive aspects and remember them. There was a right load of crap around at the time. Just try listening to some of the old Reactivate CDs. Some great tracks on them, with some utter ****e as well.

Try Jon Hopkins, and Daniel Avery for some intelligent new techno. As in nice melodies, wonderful production, but very individual.

I think when everyone is using the same tools, stuff starts to sound a bit bland.
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

There was a ton of rubbish around then.

but i think it sounded more upfront and raw/alive due to the gear used and the more mysterious era it twas....

edit-nowadays your just another twat who makes music with electronics
Old 22nd December 2015
When a scene starts it always sounds more upfront and raw/alive... that's just the nature of music.

Give any scene a few years, the various ways of playing in that style get run thru, the faves are kept, the rest discarded. And now that everyone's heard it in a number of ways, it seems familiar... a little later nostalgia kicks in as those original faves become the benchmark for any future tracks in that genre.

Last edited by robwood; 22nd December 2015 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: nostalgia
Old 24th May 2017
Gear Nut

Any suggestions for a good synthezier for getting that typical detroit style techno sound? Currently I have an LXR som sonicpotions for the drums.

What I'm thinking of atm:

*Shruti
*Waldorf Rocket
*Preenfm2
*Arturia microbrute
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post
Any suggestions for a good synthezier for getting that typical detroit style techno sound? Currently I have an LXR som sonicpotions for the drums.

post some examples for the sounds you're after. although, FM is definitely a big part of that sound.
Old 24th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quuz View Post

What I'm thinking of atm:

*Shruti
*Waldorf Rocket
*Preenfm2
*Arturia microbrute
Ensoniq ESQ1 and a filthy delay for them stabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6clkL0rLfNA
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Addict

There is this...

Old 25th May 2017
Lives for gear

Crisp !!!
Old 25th May 2017
They don't call him the Wizard for nothing.
Old 25th May 2017
Gear Guru
Fun stuff hear... start at 19:50 and have a blast..
Old 26th May 2017
Gear Addict

Nice...
Old 27th May 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Fun stuff hear... start at 19:50 and have a blast..
This is proper techno, god damned!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search