The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

As I understand it's just a Korg workstation with all the data on an SD card. I saw a pic somewhere if him using logic , don't hold me to that. My memory is hazy.
Old 9th October 2015
Sorry for ranting here, but for some reason I'm starting to get incredibly bored by techno.
It's almost gotten as formulaic and stagnant as some rock since the late 70s in structure, attitude and sound.
Also, wasn't this supposed to be music for the future? Why does the future sound more or less exactly the same as 20 to 30 years ago? Why always four to the floor? Better yet, why always 4/4?
That said, there's some innovation in the genre but it's not as edgy as it used to be.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Mid 90s techno is best techno.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_apprentice View Post
Sorry for ranting here, but for some reason I'm starting to get incredibly bored by techno.
It's almost gotten as formulaic and stagnant as some rock since the late 70s in structure, attitude and sound.
Also, wasn't this supposed to be music for the future? Why does the future sound more or less exactly the same as 20 to 30 years ago? Why always four to the floor? Better yet, why always 4/4?
That said, there's some innovation in the genre but it's not as edgy as it used to be.
Non 4 on the floor techno is called electro (though that's still in 4/4 time)

Most electronic dance styles are in 4/4 because it's easier to dance to and for DJs to mix.

I prefer the 90's techno sound and it does sound more futuristic than the crap that is popular today. It has what a lot of electronic music lacks today, and that is futurism.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
It has what a lot of electronic music lacks today, and that is futurism.
Soul?
Old 9th October 2015
Quote:
Most electronic dance styles are in 4/4 because it's easier to dance to and for DJs to mix.
I get that, but I also listen to techno at home and I don't necessarily dance to it either. Good techno is sometimes just a sensation of sounds and brain music for me.
There's some polyrhythmic stuff of course which I find an integral part of a good techno record.

Quote:
I prefer the 90's techno sound and it does sound more futuristic than the crap that is popular today. It has what a lot of electronic music lacks today, and that is futurism.
See that's what I'm talking about. It was new and futuristic then. But is it still today? I've listened too much, I guess. To me most of that stuff just sounds boring and old now.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infidel View Post
Soul?
That too!
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Take me back....to the future->

Old 9th October 2015
Gear Guru
Always thought Oliver Ho was great at "non 4 on the floor" techno
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Always thought Oliver Ho was great at "non 4 on the floor" techno
What happened to him? He came here (japan) about ten years ago on a small tour and that was the last I heard of him.
Old 11th October 2015
Here for the gear

Detriot Techno

Casio RZ-1 = Work that Mutha****a & Computer Madness

Casio CZ-230s = Computer Madness

Both by Steve Poindexter

Apparently he programmed the sounds and just changed the presets and used an Alesis Midiverb (the original version that is a table top unit)

The RZ-1 had four or two depending on time so that he could sample "work that" in one bank and "Mutha****a" in the other.

I've got both and the sounds are not in there but remember at the time many people used the Atari St and there were plenty of Casio CZ librarians available (many free on the internet now).

Must also consider the Alesis HR-16 Kevin Saunderson had one in his studio with an Akai S-900 and a KAWAI R-50e. Both the drum machines had a swing function too that he once referred to for percussion. I also know that Derrick May used the KAWAI R-100 as it had a din-sync connection to the Roland gear they used (apparently the same 909 was shared by many of the detriot artists).

The early ENSONIQ units were also used. Just listen to the records and you can here the presets.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Zer View Post
)

The RZ-1 had four or two depending on time so that he could sample "work that" in one bank and "Mutha****a" in the other.
Not true, at least according to this interview: RA: Steve Poindexter: That raw basement sound

The title track, "Work That Mutha ****er," was more accidental in origin: "I was just sitting down, just beating the track... and the track messed up, and I was like, 'Oh, this mother****er!'"

Inspired by his own offhand remark, Poindexter decided to put the phrase on the record, but with the equipment he had, it wasn't easy. He recorded his voice to a DOD foot pedal guitar sampler that he triggered from the high tom on his Casio RZ-1. "It wasn't right, so I started tweaking the voice a little bit with the knobs on the DOD until I got my voice like I wanted it to sound. Everybody thought that was a sample voice, but that actually is my voice. I just filtered it just a little bit. We was just messing with what we had, not knowing down the line that what we had would be historical, just go blow up like that.
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
Mid 90s techno is best techno.
completely agree. it went downhill so bad after 2000 and it never recovered since then. techno lost its futuristic approach.

there are 2 big problems and i dont see them resolved anytime soon.

1. Digital production. A producers sound was so much defined by the gear he got.
These days everybody uses the same daw, plugin, preset. A On top of that daw is so easily available to everyone, everyone is polluting airwaves with their crap. It generates a new standard thats really low.

2. Techno became a business. as soon as money is involved it compromises integrity of many artists.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoHostettler View Post
completely agree. it went downhill so bad after 2000 and it never recovered since then. techno lost its futuristic approach.

1. Digital production. A producers sound was so much defined by the gear he got.
These days everybody uses the same daw, plugin, preset. A On top of that daw is so easily available to everyone, everyone is polluting airwaves with their crap. It generates a new standard thats really low.

2. Techno became a business. as soon as money is involved it compromises integrity of many artists.
Thanks for writing exactly what I was going to write, saved me 3 paragraphs
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Well I don't entirely agree.
In the 90's almost everyone used a Roland drum machine or samples from them. Things like the 303 and 101 were ubiquitous, as were the Korg m1, Mackie mixers,Atari st's ,MKS50,Yamaha DX series, etc. Back then, like now many people used the same gear as each other.

Techno became a business in the 80's. Derrick May talks about how he stopped releasing new stuff on Transmat because he hated the business.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Back in the 80 /90 i always bought cassettes recorded in clubs from dj , basically all cassettes are gone but some are working and i wonder if this music is called techno /acid from detroit or house or something else

Is this Detroit tech-no
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
Is this Detroit tech-no
No , that's Euro acid.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Derrick May talks about how he stopped releasing new stuff on Transmat because he hated the business.
(raises eyebrow)
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
Well I don't entirely agree.
In the 90's almost everyone used a Roland drum machine or samples from them. Things like the 303 and 101 were ubiquitous, as were the Korg m1, Mackie mixers,Atari st's ,MKS50,Yamaha DX series, etc. Back then, like now many people used the same gear as each other.

Techno became a business in the 80's. Derrick May talks about how he stopped releasing new stuff on Transmat because he hated the business.
no every producer made his distinct sounds on probably different machines. sure there will be overlap but some key signature sounds from some artists.

hood: 101, alpha juno
mills: mono/poly, wavetable stuff (probably waldorf microwave but also yamaha stuff like the sy22?). lots of roland efx like srv2000/dep5 and dont forget all the emu stuff he used for the purpose maker series.
slater: you really hear that he loved the ensonic dp2/dp4 effects
beltram: lot of yamaha fm stuff and alpha juno
surgeon: fm stuff, poly800

also everybody had completely different mixers.. some had mackies, some sound craft some tascam. the variety was quite big
check this cool little video from 1994 to see how probably a average setup looked like.

Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundebler View Post
Back in the 80 /90 i always bought cassettes recorded in clubs from dj , basically all cassettes are gone but some are working and i wonder if this music is called techno /acid from detroit or house or something else

Is this Detroit tech-no
Sounds like Hardfloor to me.
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
he probably got paid so much in dj gigs that he no longer had the incentive to produce/release anything.

Last edited by DiegoHostettler; 11th October 2015 at 06:43 PM..
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like Hardfloor to me.
And it is Hardfloor!

Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

I think part of the futuristic style from then was not just the smooth soul sound but also the disjointed off sound as well. It had a kind of coldness to it as well. Modern dance stuff just sounds too polished to me. No jagged edge or rawness. Sometimes, like i keep reading, its the mistakes, they just made work, that made those great jams. Off kilter, or whatever even, it was fresh sounding.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
mills: mono/poly, wavetable stuff (probably waldorf microwave but also yamaha stuff like the sy22?). lots of roland efx like srv2000/dep5 and dont forget all the emu stuff he used for the purpose maker series.
umm.. I forgot? What emu stuff?
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru
Quote:
he probably got paid so much in dj gigs that he no longer had the incentive to produce/release anything.
EXACTLY!

... and fear
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
And it is Hardfloor!

Thx , you know acid but i would never thought it where German band and the term Euro acid does not sound out of place than .
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
EXACTLY!

... and fear
Whatever his reasons, I was using him as a clear example of techno being a business long before 2000. I could pick some other examples if yous like.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
no every producer made his distinct sounds on probably different machines. sure there will be overlap but some key signature sounds from some artists.
I think it had more to do with less people sharing information on how to use the gear. Without the internet knowledge was more localised leading to different styles emerging from different places. You also had less people making stuff - so less people sounding like each other.
In some cases people even shared gear as they couldn't afford their own, like with many of the Detroit guys.
Then you'd have labels that had their own sound no matter who recorded on them. It's obvious people on those labels were using at least some of the labels gear to get a consistent sound.

And now we are at the stage where most of the easy to find patterns and sounds have already been used in techno over the past 30 years. It becomes harder and harder to do anything that sounds truly new and unique.

First studio clip in the video you posted shows Atari ST, 303, Akai and|EMu samplers. It proves my point ,thankyou very much.
I was around in 1994 and have a rough idea what the average studio looked like.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear
There's far more variety of gear used today than in the mid 90's.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Nah, I'm not going to beat up on people for using modern DAWs. Most people making techno 20 years ago would have killed for the luxurious facilities we are afforded for a modest outlay these days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search