The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain View Post
no but this is 2014 and is where my words are spoken from. do i need to point this out?a
Are you saying that in 2014 no one cares about the music. We've all turned into mindless groupies and it's all about the personality behind the music. or what ?

Quote:
if you dont think youre idolizing artists by name, how else would you worship an artist?
Sorry, you'll have to rephrase that. I'm not quite sure what your saying.

Quote:
you think a body of work is independent from the person behind the name?
No, but I think a body of work can be appreciated for what it is. Regardless of the artist being the kindest most loving person on earth or a lunch stealing ,child murdering rapist.

For you, do you have to like and respect a person to like their art ?

Quote:
i dont care what you want to know about these artists, makes me no difference.
So stop acting like you do care then.
No one can mention Juan or Terrence in this thread without you pointing out they are cocks.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
kinda ruins your ideal picture of a perfect detroit huh. sorry to rain on your tea party. reality aint purdy. we dont live in a sterile world.

now you know. i know i know you wish you didnt know now that you know. i feel yer pain brah!
yes

i was so naive

thank you for showing me the light

my compressors will undoubtedly sound better now

thanks brah!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

hmm i cant seem to tell if you guys wanna prolong this interaction or if you want me gone. which is it? you complain about what i said and then keep it going when ive left your sacred thread. i think you want me back. you want more, am i right? theres more, would you like to hear more?

if you dont get anything out of my compression techniques well im sorry. im kidding i dont care!
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
hmm i cant seem to tell if you guys wanna prolong this interaction or if you want me gone. which is it? you complain about what i said and then keep it going when ive left your sacred thread. i think you want me back. you want more, am i right? theres more, would you like to hear more?

if you dont get anything out of my compression techniques well im sorry. im kidding i dont care!
I am not sure anyone wants detailed dirt talk about named characters. We all have some stories to tell about people, doesn't mean it is a good idea to type them into a forum in detail.......
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

3 things:

i was done here and these 2 guys are now asking me to respond. this is contradictory behavior.

detail? theres nothing but detail here in this thread about these people who made detroit techno. you were missing detail, so i thought id bring it into perspective.

would it make a difference if you knew the picture on your bedroom wall was painted by john wayne gacy? (this is just an example of artist separation from art) would you take it down?
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alekto View Post
I met Eddie Fowlkes a few years back and offered him a cup of tea. He replied 'No thanks, I'm straight'. He's clearly a homophobe or something.
I can't tell if you're joking about your accusation or not, but just wanted to mention that his reply is completely normal Detroit/Midwest slang for 'I'm good', 'I'm okay' or 'I'm cool' in this context. It is completely removed from anything having to do with sexual orientation.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

i actually lived down the hall briefly from eddie fowlkes at one point. we used to smoke bluntz now and then. hes a very nice guy for sure! got nothin but love.

hes a ladies man btw
Old 22nd February 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
one tip that hasn't been mentioned is not quantising. theo parrish uses this a lot. record in raw. sometimes it's even cool play the 4/4 kick in for the duration of the track. obviously you will need some skills to keep this sounding good, because there are limits to how loose you want to go before it becomes hard to listen to. but if you get it right, the natural fluctuations will give the track a much more organic feel.

then when you've got your 4/4 foundation you can try doing some hi hats but with those you can go a bit crazier, really push the boundaries and play way out. exagerate the looseness. think of jazz musicians purposely playing blue notes to add tension.

obviously this can end up sounding like utter ****, so there is an amount of control involved, but this is the part that makes it interesting.

another option with your loose kick drums is to do some very quantised hats, when i say quantised, that can be triplets, 16ths, swung or whatever (because even a swung groove repeating over and over again will sound like a machine). the point is that they sound like they came out of a drum machine. as opposed to being played in by hand. this will also create some nice tension with the contrast of mechanical vs. hand played.

with your hats you can try offsetting them so that they don't lay right on the pulse of the beat to create even more of a jarring effect.

then when you've got your rhythm nice and wonky you can try playing in your synths and samples with the same kind of attitude. purposefully loose.

The MPC60 can do that loosen offset feel so great, and kind of guarantee you having a great musical result.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
i actually lived down the hall briefly from eddie fowlkes at one point. we used to smoke bluntz now and then. hes a very nice guy for sure! got nothin but love.

hes a ladies man btw
Not a flasher then? I'm disappointed.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstatic View Post
I can't tell if you're joking about your accusation or not, but just wanted to mention that his reply is completely normal Detroit/Midwest slang for 'I'm good', 'I'm okay' or 'I'm cool' in this context. It is completely removed from anything having to do with sexual orientation.
I'm fully aware of the vernacular. It was just a little fun.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Just added an MPC 2000xl to my setup, next thing will be an alpha juno!

That'll mean I'll have my MPC playing the drums and triggering/sequencing the TT-303, Waldorf blofeld, Juno 60 and eventually the alpha juno. Everything about the setup is great, means that I'm spending less time focusing on the DAW trying to get the perfect sounding vst synths, but instead focusing on what really makes detroit techno tracks like the sequences, chord progressions and scales etc...
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

God damn double posts
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post

He's not from Detroit.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

im from detroit lol
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
means that I'm spending less time focusing on the DAW trying to get the perfect sounding vst synths, but instead focusing on what really makes detroit techno tracks like the sequences, chord progressions and scales etc...
Oi, that's what I'm after atm
But I'm going with a launchpad and will still sequence via pc
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

I'd be interested to know what mixers they were using back in the day? To record through.
I heard they used to use mackies quite a bit?
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstatic View Post

sorry this made me laugh. its not just midwest, we say it here on the east coast as well and mean it in the same way as stated above.
Old 27th October 2014
Lives for gear

is this an appreciation thread?

i've been rockin the **** outta this dudes stuff, especially this tune:

grabbed his last recent on his own imprint too - solid stuff.

Gonna check out his boiler room set, hopefully they post it up
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Great thread, all.

Inspired me to reach for my DX100 Lately Bass samples to beef up a techno track I'm working on. To complement the multiple 303 lines in it.

I'm not really up on the latest Detroit style techno - any recommendations?
Old 18th November 2014
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutilatedlip View Post
Inspired me to reach for my DX100 Lately Bass samples to beef up a techno track I'm working on. To complement the multiple 303 lines in it.
hmmmm..... but DX100 can't do Lately Bass. No such waveform in DX100.
Old 18th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Trying to find an Aux88 track i used to always play, i know it had the red direct beat cover, big fat baseline and "in the night" was part of the vocal, it will be crushed under 100's of kilos of vinyl in my shed
do you mean this one? not an aux88 track but mad mike electro on direct beat, and has the 'in the night' vocal bit
Old 18th November 2014
found this interview with Mike Banks
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

nice one!
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Is it Solid Bass?

Is Lately Bass the one on the TX16W?
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
people are mixing up their solids and latelys.
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Who are the current quality techno producers?
Old 18th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry10 View Post
do you mean this one? not an aux88 track but mad mike electro on direct beat, and has the 'in the night' vocal bit
Awesome that's the track, thank you.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Awesome that's the track, thank you.
One of my all time favorites. Definitely check the UR electro stuff as well, the first Interstellar Fugitives album (w/ Afrogermanic, etc) if you like this one.
Old 19th November 2014
Lives for gear

Nice thread

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search