The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
What about that hollow sound often used like after 3.mins in this tune:
Can be found on virtually any FM synth, but was probably made famous by the M1 - "Magic Organ" (see Famous Sounds )

As for the chords, simply sample a Juno-60.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Some popular '90s House sounds:

Korg M1 piano
Korg M1 perc organ

Yamaha TX81z Lately Bass and/or DX100 Solid Bass

Roland SH-101 for bass

Roland TR-909 for drums

Casio CZ-series electric organ

Akai (or similar era) hardware samplers with 90s library

Hardware effects of the era

I'll think of some more
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Chords: Minor 7ths stabs - resampled and scaled outside of standard keys/modes? Very common also with cheap piano style sounds...
Chord memory gets that effect too, found on old Korg polys and Alpha Junos. And chords made on monosynths, 1 or 2 oscillators and the filter self oscillating, then often sampled.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Ensoniq Mrroland r8 drum machine.two of my favorites.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearofflying View Post
Moodymann makes all his music with samples on the MPC.
My point exactly, referring to the 90's hip hop techniques. Moodymann also uses synths, though.

Still, I think the OP was more interested in techniques rather than just gear (the gear was pretty well covered in the thread he referred to).
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
There's Kurzweil K2000 is all over UR/ Mike Banks stuff.I've spotted a few slightly modified presets.
Pretty sure I've spotted some Proteus 1 in there too. And D110 and Kawai K1 in Drexciya. Just been contemplating sampling my K1r and selling it but I've just played it and decided against it.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Pretty sure I've spotted some Proteus 1 in there too. And D110 and Kawai K1 in Drexciya. .
One of my favourite Drexciya tracks from the "Bubble Metropolis" has an unedited Casio CZ5000 preset as the main thing.
Old 14th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Chord memory gets that effect too, found on old Korg polys and Alpha Junos. And chords made on monosynths, 1 or 2 oscillators and the filter self oscillating, then often sampled.
yeah I have a chord memory on my OB8 which is useful although MIDI plugins in ableton are also good...

The thing about scaling a sample is it has a interesting effect of shortening the sound further up and vice versa...which is kind of part of the vibe...

Any good sample banks available for these 90s modules that were popular?
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The rawness I heard was because none of the producers were engineers and they didnt know what they were doing back then, so everything sounds gritty..
Recording to tape helped also and don't forget how much Ron Murphy was a big part of most peoples sound. Jeff Millls and mad Mike used to take there stuff to him and say "make this sound like a record "
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
One of my favourite Drexciya tracks from the "Bubble Metropolis" has an unedited Casio CZ5000 preset as the main thing.
Lazy buggers eh heh Just shows that it's best just to get on with things rather than get obsessed with the minor details. As Mr Drexciya found out, we don't have all the time in the world.
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Recording to tape helped also and don't forget how much Ron Murphy was a big part of most peoples sound. Jeff Millls and mad Mike used to take there stuff to him and say "make this sound like a record "
Does tape really make that big of a difference? I know a few people that swear by it, but I have never used it before so not sure myself.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
The thing about scaling a sample is it has a interesting effect of shortening the sound further up and vice versa...which is kind of part of the vibe...

Any good sample banks available for these 90s modules that were popular?
The best thing is to sample yourself. Look for vibes and Rhodes samples in 70's records. If you don't have old vinyls, try sampling Kool & the Gang, BT express, Lonnie Smith, Gil Scott Heron etc. etc. etc. from Youtube.
Old 14th September 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Speaking of Detroit scene, i finally figured out what might be the source generator of this famous chord stab used by Inner City as in this track.

As we all know they sampled Nitro Deluxe's chord stab, but the question remained, from where did Nitro Deluxe got the stab. And one day... it dawned. Before that i've read somewhere it was Prophet 5, and somewhere that it was Jupiter, but... the truth was... i got exactly the same sounding stab as Nitro Deluxe on my Oberheim OB-8. I don't know if they had one so i can't make any claims on the matter.

To get back to topic...

Let's not forget the famous "Detroit bass". Those who are interested - it is Yamaha DX-100 Preset B 01 Solid Bass. Similar to Lately Bass but with more punch in the face. Sometimes modified and many times used to follow the root of the chord to "fatten it up".
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Here's a good example of chords done with the SP1200:

Old 14th September 2010
Gear Nut

Does the Sp1200 have banks in it then? It's a sampler right? So are they not putting their own samples into it?

I have that exact sample that's playing in that youtube vid if anyone wants it.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does tape really make that big of a difference? I know a few people that swear by it, but I have never used it before so not sure myself.
It can do. Depends how you use/abuse it.
I know it's later but do you know a Greg Cash track called party chat ?
It was recorded to consumer grade cassette , which then got pressed on to vinyl.Defintely gives it a certain sound. I'm pretty sure some of the other guys would have been doing this also.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the Sp1200 have banks in it then? It's a sampler right? So are they not putting their own samples into it?

I have that exact sample that's playing in that youtube vid if anyone wants it.
It's a sampler and they are putting samples into it.

I doubt you have that exact sample. Almost any chord in the right scale you sample in the SP1200 will sound like that - it's the sound of that machine.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
I doubt have that exact sample. Almost any chord in the right scale you sample in the SP1200 sounds like that - it's the sound of that machine.
Indeed I can make that sound with my sp-12turbo by sampling a chord into it and then looping it.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post

As we all know they sampled Nitro Deluxe's chord stab, but the question remained, from where did Nitro Deluxe got the stab. And one day... it dawned. Before that i've read somewhere it was Prophet 5, and somewhere that it was Jupiter, but... the truth was... i got exactly the same sounding stab as Nitro Deluxe on my Oberheim OB-8. I don't know if they had one so i can't make any claims on the matter.
Well spotted .

Would be interesting if someone with a P5 or Jupiter could match it.
Old 14th September 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Indeed I can make that sound with my sp-12turbo by sampling a chord into it and then looping it.

Ok thanks for the info. I have included the sample I was on about anyways as I think it sounds quite alike. I guess I shouldnt have said exact sample.

I would like to know how all them producers made that 90's organ sound. Is that FM synthesis? Like this: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF345404-01-02-02.mp3
Attached Files
File Type: aif MusicFX 04.aif (626.6 KB, 408 views)
Old 14th September 2010
Sounds and techniques are one thing, but what most of the classics have are great HOOKS and CATCHY MELODIES! Emotion doesn't come in a box, and thats whats missing from a lot of todays, tech, house, minimal whatever...

Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
Sounds and techniques are one thing, but what most of the classics have are great HOOKS and CATCHY MELODIES! Emotion doesn't come in a box, and thats whats missing from a lot of todays, tech, house, minimal whatever...

I agree

Emotion in modern music seems to be mostly just the emotion of boredom
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by totty View Post
Go on Don - I love those old stabs - tried so many times with a Virus, Blofeld, anything - can't get that gritty sound
i always thought those sounds came from a ROMpler like the M1 or D-10/D-50 or even an SY77.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
i always thought those sounds came from a ROMpler like the M1 or D-10/D-50 or even an SY77.
When I was younger I thought it was a D series synth, dunno why.... (actually probably saw them on top of the pops with an unplugged synth or somthing!)
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
If it came from a ROMpler doesn't that mean it must have been sampled from something in the first place ?
Old 14th September 2010
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Kevin appeared in the videos with D-50 and JX-8P, hence the confusion about the origin of the chord stabs. Though i believe he did used JX-8P for strings, judging by the sound.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it came from a ROMpler doesn't that mean it must have been sampled from something in the first place ?
starting with a PCM is not the same as just triggering the raw PCM sound.
Old 14th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kevin appeared in the videos with D-50 and JX-8P, hence the confusion about the origin of the chord stabs. Though i believe he did used JX-8P for strings, judging by the sound.
Haddaway had a D-50 at one time and he used these types of sounds, but i'm not sure how he was doing the productions for his songs at that time (might have hired studio time and had a programmer).
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Speaking of Detroit scene, i finally figured out what might be the source generator of this famous chord stab used by Inner City as in this track.

To get back to topic...

Let's not forget the famous "Detroit bass". Those who are interested - it is Yamaha DX-100 Preset B 01 Solid Bass. Similar to Lately Bass but with more punch in the face. Sometimes modified and many times used to follow the root of the chord to "fatten it up".

I'm pretty positive that Nitro Delux used the Solid Bass for that sound. And i'm not convinced that Inner City sampled that sound. If you listen to the original N.D. track, there is no place where that stab is solo. There's always sound sound under it. And if you listen to the Inner City tracks, those are all clean. There's no additional sound within those "samples". I think they simply used the same sound. Either sampled it themselves or not. But i don't they sampled Let's Get Brutal.
Old 15th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

To get back to topic...

It could be. That chord sample has the Oberheim "flavor". I wonder if it could also be the Matrix-12.... as we all know from the CD sleeve, Technotronic's Pump Up The Jam album was Matrix-12 and has the similar "flavor"

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. I have included the sample I was on about anyways as I think it sounds quite alike. I guess I shouldnt have said exact sample.

I would like to know how all them producers made that 90's organ sound. Is that FM synthesis? Like this: http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF345404-01-02-02.mp3

that sounds like the Casio CZ classic organ

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search