The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Yeah I think we can agree that Juan Atkins is a genius.

Oh and yes, Terrence tries to mimic Jeff and Juan...with variable success...

The Frantic Flowers had a nice track and some of hills Millsian stuff is ok, but somewhat unrefined compared to Axis and MillsArt, for sure...
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco Cubist View Post

So Detroit Techno for me is about defining an atmosphere that previously had not existed in music///

and no-one does this more or better than the UR guys.

How is this for 1991? Oh, Photek, Metalheads...Submerge called - they want their sound palette back!

Here's another all time Juan favourite...he was totally out on his own, totally different style, but instantly 'Detroit' (bonus points for why it isn't):

There are guys doing the same philosophy nowadays, with newer kit and techniques and a different sound, but there was certainly a golden age where Mike, Jeff, Anthony, James, James, Juan, Claude and a huge host of others were simply untouchable...

Oh and are you telling me that Jeff Mills defined Axis, Purpose Maker, MillsArt with strictly this ghetto equipment? No step sequencers? Hmmm...Pretty sure he - along with plenty of others - enjoyed the spoils that Tresor introduced and clubs around the world offered up to them, and put them towards improving and augmenting their studio where they could...its just that some ghetto bits are classic and NEED to be held onto...

And yes, I know a few of these guys, so I am placed to say...Oh yeah - Juan fixed my girlfriends Atari in 1996 and didn't charge us a penny...does that count

Although yes, not much pure modular stuff and no I don't really count Carl as 'Detroit Techno' for a while now...(whatever that means)...love his music though...

you must have a working relationship with juan. yeah a lot of detroit mofukas is two faced. nothin but hate here nothin but love somewhere else. you dont **** where you eat i believe the saying goes.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Gear Addict

Was in a lift with Theo Parrish once and he farted then got out. Had to last 23 floors with the smell, it stopped a few times on the way up too and everyone who got in assumed it was me. Went home and threw all his records in the bin.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

I met Eddie Fowlkes a few years back and offered him a cup of tea. He replied 'No thanks, I'm straight'. He's clearly a homophobe or something.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
Was in a lift with Theo Parrish once and he farted then got out. Had to last 23 floors with the smell, it stopped a few times on the way up too and everyone who got in assumed it was me. Went home and threw all his records in the bin.
ah, that little story has made my day
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Bottle View Post
thats funny as hell
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
How do you know Claude? Care to reveal your true name? You can keep the ski mask on if it helps...

Yeah what do they say? Don't meet your heroes?

A lot of the music business is built on people standing on other people to get to where they end up...

Not much new there and also nothing new in the fact that this is why some truly great musicians never amount to anything...Detroit as Berlin as New York as London are the same way and have been forever...

At some point you just have to accept some of that ****...
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain View Post
Im sorry, come again?

When Detroit techno was at it's most popular in the UK most of the people buying the records didn't know who the people making them were or what they looked like. They were buying stuff (or not) based on what it sounded like.

Are you saying all the house and techno guys coming over here were "stars" with photographers and groupies everywhere they went or what ?

Quote:
exactly. when was the last time you had a bite with juan atkins? carl craig? mad mike? richie hawtin? dan bell? anthony shakir? jeff mills? claude young? derrick may? BMG?

never? well then how could you possibly know what kind of people they are? to blindly worship someone on the basis of their music is silly and seriously only part of the picture. and it makes you into an ambiance chaser to be honest. fashion victims! to see you people with no clue theorizing about how it was done... makes a guy who is there think that you need a taste of the whole picture. not all of these people deserve your adoration. some of them hate you based on some bull**** that you obviously have no clue about. so you need to know, and ill be glad to let you know..
Is this aimed at me ?
If so why ?

When I said
Quote:
with techno it's not about the people, it's about the music.
Those Classics are classics because the music is good. Not because everyone idolises the artists
Do you think I meant the opposite or something ?

Quote:
I
it only takes a no clue havin gear whore to overlook the whole picture and claim theres no step sequencers in techno and then debate for hours over what they used to make this or that without knowing anything about the people they idolize. that **** is fucking weak. .
I may have missed something but I thought the dude that made the step sequencer blunder had been corrected and we'd moved on, without arguing about it for hours.
And how does knowing if someone steals lunch or not tell us what gear they used or how they used it ?
I like to know some of these ting's , not because i want to copy it. Just because I find that sort of thing interesting.

Quote:
real talk.
Really ?
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Trying to find an Aux88 track i used to always play, i know it had the red direct beat cover, big fat baseline and "in the night" was part of the vocal, it will be crushed under 100's of kilos of vinyl in my shed
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

my name? John Boys. ski mask? take a look in my profile for a pic.

but yeah arent we all about anonymity in the techno world? woo its not about the person, its about his music la la la

ok now maybe your name and a pic? otherwise how will i know if youre telling the truth about juan fixing your computer lol
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
Frantic Flowers is a dutch label run by Klen from the Clone crew...

Pretty sure he wouldn't name his label after Fanon, based on a feud he didn't witness...Terrence just released a track on his label a few years back...

So you had releases we can hear? Seems like you were right in the action///
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
And yes!!! DJ K-1!

The Tucker...superb...Direct Beat was such a great label...Direct Drive was a favourite for sure...

Not much great pure electro around any longer...The Pyramid Transmissions guys are still rocking it though...

Check their Dodo Club parties if you are in London...Or if you aren't
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Are you saying all the house and techno guys coming over here were "stars" with photographers and groupies everywhere they went or what ?
no but this is 2014 and is where my words are spoken from. do i need to point this out?

if you dont think youre idolizing artists by name, how else would you worship an artist? you think a body of work is independent from the person behind the name?

what i said was not soley directed to you and step sequencer was only to characterize the banter here in the thread. i dont care what you want to know about these artists, makes me no difference.

yes really.

but anyway, im not meaning to upset anybody here unless you are trying to upset me so ill tone it down. let the kids have their heroes haha
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

mad mike has always been a stand up guy
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematocyte View Post
BTW what's you guy's favorite "recent" Detroit techno producer ? Not those people who almost stopped making tracks and just doing DJ business.
MGUN (Manuel Gonzales)
Jay Daniels
Santiago Salazar (not a Detroiter, but worked w/ UR, he's back in LA)
Esteban Adame (same)
Luke Hess
Alone (new guy and/or alias of someone on UR)
Mark Flash (been around, but still releasing great records - I loved "King of Light")
Rolando (also another UR guy, but has been really prolific lately)
Mike Huckaby (still got it, love the dubtechno sounding stuff)
Old 21st February 2014
Quote:
mad mike has always been a stand up guy
He is a heroe! And a super nice guy too once you pass through his bull****-scanner.

Last edited by zorbeix; 21st February 2014 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: me can't write ze english
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

uh well hes approachable and down to earth. thats what i meant. he is generous with his time and words. is not a high on haterator
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

This thread lacks talk about Octave One. These guys still rock at their live shows.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
My favourite of all time! Was also my last pickup on vinyl...
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

One of my all time favs by Octave One bit more on the housey side. Maybe its the the strings or the little lead line. I really not much for vocals in techno but this just puts my grumpy ass in a good mood when I listen to it....

Hmmm 5 degrees and sunny in February? I am going outside.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

by far my favorite recent detroit techno record is Morgan Geist's "Double Night Time"

Morgan Geist Detroit - YouTube

(can't remember how to embed videos.. haven't been here in a while..)

i wish i knew what kind of setup he's using.
Old 22nd February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post

I remember their live performance at a small record shop in Shibuya. Only with MPC1000 and some small synths that time, but very powerful sound. I love to see their synths/modules always being shaken on their stage. Their performance at Space was the highlight for me in Ibiza last summer.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

The personal stuff in this thread is ridiculous. My personal anecdotes with Terrence Dixon is that the couple of times I've met him he's been super cool and we chatted gear and he was super gracious when I bought him a drink.

Neither sides mean ****. dude makes dope music.

And yes, Octave One is super awesome. Haven't seen "the mothership" live yet but looking forward to it.

In a scene as small as detroit techno, you'd think people would be adamant about supporting the great music instead of bringing in personal stories of extra-curricular activites

If avicii donated a million to cancer research I don't think people would be going "you know what, maybe he is an awesome musician"

come on
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

In non drama stuff

rolando's recent-ish release on Ostgut Ton is pretty slick
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

also also

@dubtek things are good man. been busy so haven't being working on new stuff, but been woodshedding the new gear, tempest and xtk

hope things are good with you, brotha!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
The personal stuff in this thread is ridiculous. My personal anecdotes with Terrence Dixon is that the couple of times I've met him he's been super cool and we chatted gear and he was super gracious when I bought him a drink.

Neither sides mean ****. dude makes dope music.

And yes, Octave One is super awesome. Haven't seen "the mothership" live yet but looking forward to it.

In a scene as small as detroit techno, you'd think people would be adamant about supporting the great music instead of bringing in personal stories of extra-curricular activites

If avicii donated a million to cancer research I don't think people would be going "you know what, maybe he is an awesome musician"

come on
kinda ruins your ideal picture of a perfect detroit huh. sorry to rain on your tea party. reality aint purdy. we dont live in a sterile world.

now you know. i know i know you wish you didnt know now that you know. i feel yer pain brah!
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
also also

@dubtek things are good man. been busy so haven't being working on new stuff, but been woodshedding the new gear, tempest and xtk

hope things are good with you, brotha!
Nice to hear.

You've bought an Xtk, nice choice. I also picked up an Xt last summer. Great synth.
Old 22nd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Nice to hear.

You've bought an Xtk, nice choice. I also picked up an Xt last summer. Great synth.
xtk is technically on loan -- my buddy is on tour and has my jx8p but he's gonna keep it in LA and i'm hanging on to his waldorf

i feel bad because i'm the biggest proponent of "**** presets" but I haven't gone much beyond tweaking presets because the presets are so good!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search