The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
He records under that name.
Apparently he wanted to use Mr C but someone got there first.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Back on the topic of Detroit techno, 'ave some of this:

This is the kind of stuff that I can't get enough of! Get's me excited for ordering my Yocto 808...:D

Also, I remember listening to some of your detroit style stuff on soundcloud a while ago, some good stuff man!
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

I remember back in the 90's when Eddie 'Flashin' Fowlkes Cityboy was a cool label to collect, coming from the north of England at the time I only managed to get my hands on one, I've still got a heap of Transmat/metroplex/UR in the garden shed.

All my Carl Craig stuff sold very fast at a good price on eBay some years back, all that 69 lark etc.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Still play all my old Detroit records regularly.
Every time I order new tunes off juno when the sample sounds good, I end up being disappointed for one reason or another.
A lot of modern techno lacks the soul and live experimentation that makes those old Detroit records interesting in my opinion.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yes I've just been listening to Model 500 - infoworld, I loved that track back in the day
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Dug this one out the other day, realised I need to play it more.
Nice and simple but really effective.

Old 20th February 2014
Gear Nut

Juan Atkins used the Roland MC50.
(Boring sequencer but syncs midi hardware extremely well, veeeery solid timing)
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

I probably posted this earlier in this thread, but if not, here's an interview w/ Juan Atkins from 1988 - he mentions using the Korg SQD1, and Arp Sequencer, and a Roland one (perhaps the MC50)

Juan Atkins
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawson View Post
Juan Atkins used the Roland MC50.
(Boring sequencer but syncs midi hardware extremely well, veeeery solid timing)
Solid timing if you switch off some of the MIDI stuff it can't handle.
there's a few settings like active sensing or something you have to disable or the timing is a bit wonky.
I used to have a start up floppy so that it would boot with the correct settings.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Apparently he wanted to use Mr C but someone got there first.
Cool fact.
I'd've thought he'd've heard of MR C. obviously not .
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

i went to eat with terrance dixon and juan atkins and his girl one day recently in detroit. we went to a deli that i liked on fort street that turned out to be closed. then we went to eph mcnallys and THEY were closed or had moved or whatever. i was dumbfounded. then we went to the hard rock cafe because greektown was too far to walk in the winter and it was the 3rd try. we sat down and each had some moderately priced plates and a couple of drinks. we joked that juan was gonna be up on the ladder cleaning his gutters of leaves and could you picture him actually doing that. his girl thought that was funny. anyway, when the bill came, i was expecting to pay for my share. then terrance and juan told me they didnt have any money and that they would get me back. so i spent over $100 buying 3 peoples dinner on the promise they were gonna pay me back. after that it was simply forgotten. what a couple of punk asses. this kinda thing kept happening around them and i began to see a pattern so i got the **** out and i must say that i have lost most of my respect for detroit and its 'seminal' artists. most people dont know who they (detroits seminal artists) really are to tell you the truth.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alien_brain View Post
i went to eat with terrance dixon and juan atkins and his girl one day recently in detroit. we went to a deli that i liked on fort street that turned out to be closed. then we went to eph mcnallys and THEY were closed or had moved or whatever. i was dumbfounded. then we went to the hard rock cafe because greektown was too far to walk in the winter and it was the 3rd try. we sat down and each had some moderately priced plates and a couple of drinks. we joked that juan was gonna be up on the ladder cleaning his gutters of leaves and could you picture him actually doing that. his girl thought that was funny. anyway, when the bill came, i was expecting to pay for my share. then terrance and juan told me they didnt have any money and that they would get me back. so i spent over $100 buying 3 peoples dinner on the promise they were gonna pay me back. after that it was simply forgotten. what a couple of punk asses. this kinda thing kept happening around them and i began to see a pattern so i got the **** out and i must say that i have lost most of my respect for detroit and its 'seminal' artists. most people dont know who they (detroits seminal artists) really are to tell you the truth.

I am not quite sure that Gearslutz is the right place for this kind of drama I think Facebook would work a lot better for you to vent your personal issues. You'll likely find the moral support you need amongst your friends there.Have you considered talking to them about how you are feeling? Clearly you have some issues you need to deal with regarding your disposition towards these individuals. You should clear the clear the air. You'll feel much better once you have some resolution.

I know social media can be confusing so allow me to provide you with a little guidance to help you resolve any future confusion about where to post which type of thoughts.

Example:
-If Terrance Dixon smashes the ****e out your ProOne with a hammer because you played out of key and now you need help fixing it. Go to Gearslutz.

-If Terrance Dixon drinks all your imported beer, sleeps with your girlfriend and then crashes your vespa and now you cannot afford the Metropolis euro module Go to Facebook.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I am not quite sure that Gearslutz is the right place for this kind of drama I think Facebook would work a lot better for you to vent your personal issues. You'll likely find the moral support you need amongst your friends there.Have you considered talking to them about how you are feeling? Clearly you have some issues you need to deal with regarding your disposition towards these individuals. You should clear the clear the air. You'll feel much better once you have some resolution.

I know social media can be confusing so allow me to provide you with a little guidance to help you resolve any future confusion about where to post which type of thoughts.

Example:
-If Terrance Dixon smashes the ****e out your ProOne with a hammer because you played out of key and now you need help fixing it. Go to Gearslutz.

-If Terrance Dixon drinks all your imported beer, sleeps with your girlfriend and then crashes your vespa and now you cannot afford the Metropolis euro module Go to Facebook.
its relevant. these are the people behind the 'classics'. just thought it might be nice to give a bit of reality rather than theory. paint the people as they are rather than sit around wondering how they scratch their asses.

btw would you like to know?
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
Used to hammer this one too
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
btw would you like to know?
Yes
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Used to hammer this one too, the kinda track a modular would perform well.

Skypainter by the Martian was a bloody great track too
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
its relevant. these are the people behind the 'classics'.
But with techno it's not about the people, it's about the music.
Those Classics are classics because the music is good. Not because everyone idolises the artists.
If that was the case some people would have had very short careers and we'd all be missing out on some great music..

Some pretty big artists outside of techno have reputations for being horrible people, but it doesn't stop they're music selling.

Quote:
most people dont know who they (detroits seminal artists) really are to tell you the truth.
"most people" don't know any Detroit Techno artists.
Old 21st February 2014
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not because everyone idolises the artists.
Im sorry, come again?

Quote:
"most people" don't know any Detroit Techno artists.
exactly. when was the last time you had a bite with juan atkins? carl craig? mad mike? richie hawtin? dan bell? anthony shakir? jeff mills? claude young? derrick may? BMG?

never? well then how could you possibly know what kind of people they are? to blindly worship someone on the basis of their music is silly and seriously only part of the picture. and it makes you into an ambiance chaser to be honest. fashion victims! to see you people with no clue theorizing about how it was done... makes a guy who is there think that you need a taste of the whole picture. not all of these people deserve your adoration. some of them hate you based on some bull**** that you obviously have no clue about. so you need to know, and ill be glad to let you know.

it only takes a no clue havin gear whore to overlook the whole picture and claim theres no step sequencers in techno and then debate for hours over what they used to make this or that without knowing anything about the people they idolize. that **** is fucking weak.

im sorry if you dont wanna listen to reality. thats the problem with people, they would rather remain clueless and ignorant than face an ugly truth when it comes to their idols. ah well im glad i found out what the reality is. thats what i was after. now i could give a **** less how they did it. i guess it took me getting to this point to see who i am and to realize we all have the same power of creation. yes its true! spend hours with that thought rather than trying to figure out how they did it! because they dont really deserve your devotion as much as you think. real talk.
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

BTW what's you guy's favorite "recent" Detroit techno producer ? Not those people who almost stopped making tracks and just doing DJ business.
I can only find Kyle hall and Omar S, and I'm having difficulty to find other active producers and new movement in Detroit. It's mainly because the local record shops where I always find detroid records and info have been closed last five years.....
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

sinistarr is a current detroit producer that i think deserves attention.
Old 21st February 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
sinistarr is a current detroit producer that i think deserves attention.
Thanks for the link. Nice mixed flavor of Detroit techno and Drum'n bass. Reminds me of a party with Dj Assault years ago.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nematocyte View Post
BTW what's you guy's favorite "recent" Detroit techno producer ? Not those people who almost stopped making tracks and just doing DJ business.
I can only find Kyle hall and Omar S, and I'm having difficulty to find other active producers and new movement in Detroit. It's mainly because the local record shops where I always find detroid records and info have been closed last five years.....
Well Terrence Dixon and Juan Atkins have been putting out pretty cool stuff recently...Reel to Real put out a phenomenal record like three years back. There's a whole clique of people around Omar S and Kyle Hall like Daniel Jay. Stingray puts out a lot of stuff but I'm not too much into that.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

juan is a master straight up. theres no denying his skill level. i have heard unreleased stuff by him that is simply stunning. i love his house stylez.

terrance dixon is a fool and his music was never good by any stretch of the imagination. whoever thinks theres any skill there whatsoever is deluded.
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear
UR Forever!

So Detroit Techno for me is about defining an atmosphere that previously had not existed in music///

and no-one does this more or better than the UR guys.

How is this for 1991? Oh, Photek, Metalheads...Submerge called - they want their sound palette back!

Here's another all time Juan favourite...he was totally out on his own, totally different style, but instantly 'Detroit' (bonus points for why it isn't):

There are guys doing the same philosophy nowadays, with newer kit and techniques and a different sound, but there was certainly a golden age where Mike, Jeff, Anthony, James, James, Juan, Claude and a huge host of others were simply untouchable...

Oh and are you telling me that Jeff Mills defined Axis, Purpose Maker, MillsArt with strictly this ghetto equipment? No step sequencers? Hmmm...Pretty sure he - along with plenty of others - enjoyed the spoils that Tresor introduced and clubs around the world offered up to them, and put them towards improving and augmenting their studio where they could...its just that some ghetto bits are classic and NEED to be held onto...

And yes, I know a few of these guys, so I am placed to say...Oh yeah - Juan fixed my girlfriends Atari in 1996 and didn't charge us a penny...does that count

Although yes, not much pure modular stuff and no I don't really count Carl as 'Detroit Techno' for a while now...(whatever that means)...love his music though...
Old 21st February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
terrance and juan told me they didnt have any money and that they would get me back. so i spent over $100 buying 3 peoples dinner on the promise they were gonna pay me back.
Id of gave both a good kicking and left them to pay, after all Jaun does endorse the fact "You got to be brave" (GusGus version by far the best)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search