The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Never really felt any urge for a step sequencer before, but that thing looks a LOT of fun........
Yes ideal for live tweaking
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post
I've been getting close to jumping into the modular scene. Whats your view on the Pittsburgh Modular complete systems for those of us who are new to modular?
You may find This tread informative.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Never really felt any urge for a step sequencer before, but that thing looks a LOT of fun........
Yes it does.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Yes it does.
Here you go, as to pay you back and make YOUR GAS worse, too....

Intellijel Metropolis first patch - YouTube

Quiet, but tasty.....
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here you go, as to pay you back and make YOUR GAS worse, too....

Intellijel Metropolis first patch - YouTube

Quiet, but tasty.....
Its too late for me. I am done for. They have my name on the list

That was done by another GS member...you see, its a bloody virus.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Its too late for me. I am done for. They have my name on the list

That was done by another GS member...you see, its a bloody virus.
Yep, the disease is staring at me from the side, with a mainly gaping 6U, screaming for modules.......and now suddenly I desire a pretty pricey one....sigh....

Let me pay you back some more.....how's about some fat tone to mess with your list.. :

Synthesizer Synth Machine Sound Examples - YouTube

Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

February 9th, Intellijel commented on their Facebook
"We are unfortunately out of stock of these but we should have a new batch ready in about 6 weeks."

Thats why i did the desperate plea to my brother in Texas to grab me the last one from switched on or id of just waited to get one from a UK dealer, as far as I'm aware there is no dealer anywhere on the globe that has a Metropolis in stock ?
Old 20th February 2014
Ksp
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISTAN View Post
hi guys
im on the hunt for some old synths that were used by all of the classic techno/house detroit producers

after those lush strings and stabby pads/bass etc

cheers
i would look at

Kawai k1 , Kawai spectra or ag10 rack , casio cz , korg poly 800

all are really good for that genre in certain ways.

Roland alpha juno with its chord memory also .
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownlife View Post
My favorite Detroit techno artists don't use modulars, they use **** like Roland MC 909, Kurzweil K2000, Sequential Circuits Prophet 600, and Korg M3. In fact, I am having a hard time coming up with any classic Detroit techno record that might actually have a modular on it at all.
Carl Craig uses it extensively, but the records are still to new to be called classics yet. But you should have your copy of this song to be able to brag in twenty years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWObSR0B90

The MS-10 and 20 have been used a lot. Triggered step sequencers. Maybe not modular modular but unusual applications of audio equipment instead of a MIDI song kind of thing.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yes the above is right, most classic techno has been made with cheap unpopular synths. CZ101, Poly 800, Alpha Junos, DX100, MS10. Buying an obscene amount of trendy Eurorack isn't going to magically make better techno, it's just forum driven GAS.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Leaving the GAS to one side I don't see why all techno from here on out must use those old synths. They only used what they could afford and did what they could with those sounds.....use whatever inspires I say.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't think of any Detroit artists using step sequencers either. Typically I think of the MMT-8 and MPC/SP for how the majority of Detroit techno was sequenced.
you dont include roland gear? i fully disagree about step sequencers in techno. unless youre talking about that vid from a few posts ago. step sequencers come in a variety of forms. hell the poly 800 has a step sequencer and chord function.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
Yes the above is right, most classic techno has been made with cheap unpopular synths. CZ101, Poly 800, Alpha Junos, DX100, MS10. Buying an obscene amount of trendy Eurorack isn't going to magically make better techno, it's just forum driven GAS.
Yeah but it's entirely up to how you use it. Do you trigger the cheap Alpha Juno with your 909's external instrument mode in chord memory or do you pencil in all your notes in some kind of Cubase variety? SH-101 with internal sequencers triggered from rimshots or just a MIDI CV convertor?

There's tons of sequenced stuff on Drexciya with some pattern switching and improvs on top of it. Loose with rigid, non 4/4 patterns mixed with 4/4
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had that C2 on white label months before it dropped I am not sure that was during his modular era anyway, it sounds similar to his other stuff going back 4-5 years earlier than that. All the stuff he has done since definitely using modular has been pretty terrible overall.
I hear a lot of noodling with an analogue oscillator, could be done on a prewired synth too ofcourse but you tend to approach modular synthesizers in a different way. Also there's trigger blips in the background, could be just for the sound but fat chance he heard the trigger sounds on his monitors and decided to just roll with it.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Had that C2 on white label months before it dropped I am not sure that was during his modular era anyway, it sounds similar to his other stuff going back 4-5 years earlier than that. All the stuff he has done since definitely using modular has been pretty terrible overall.

MS-10/20 certainly were used by guys like Juan and Omar-S, but still used more like a regular synth than most of what these videos are showing. I can't think of any Detroit artists using step sequencers either. Typically I think of the MMT-8 and MPC/SP for how the majority of Detroit techno was sequenced.
C2 does have a ton of modular gear, but also has a MiniMoog, every SCI synth, uses an MPC, a TR-808, etc.

Sandstorms for example sounds exctly like a Sequential Circuits Pro One to me (not sure which it is).

What someone said earlier about Detroit artists using sh_tty gear is exactly right. Omar S and Big Strick both use Roland MC-909s. Shake uses a Kurzweil K-2600 (I think that's what he said) - earlier on he was using a Poly 800 and / or recording at Juan and Kevins. A lot of Korg romplers as well, even by the UR guys (take a look at what they bring on tour). It's rarely fancy.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear
Analogue sequencers were floating around Detroit in the good ole days.

Jeff Mills and UR are the two most obvious examples. Huckaby, Deepchord, and BMG used to mess with them as well. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they were used on the Dataphysix records, either.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear
Also, the first wave Detroit sequencer of choice was the Korg SQD-1. Kevin, Juan, and Derrick used that up until the end of the 80s.

I wish the fetishists luck with hunting down the data disks. ;^)
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed, Why I mentioned Eurorack to begin with is a lot of these old synth you mention have had their Oscillators/filters etc recreated circuit wise in module format so you will get the sound.

I was listening to the Derrick May Icon track and the drums sound as they has come straight from my Eurorack, Tiptop drums triggered by MI Grids gets you the exact same sound.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Are you folks referring to Carl Craig as C2?
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
Also, the first wave Detroit sequencer of choice was the Korg SQD-1. Kevin, Juan, and Derrick used that up until the end of the 80s.

My first ever sequencer. No match for an Atari ST.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRand View Post
My first ever sequencer. No match for an Atari ST.
There are some things that are really cool about it if you are in a 1980s workflow. For one, it has FSK sync, it also does midi and din sync. If you have an open reel you can stripe the tape and lock up your 808, multitrack your triggered pro one, and it will handle all your midi stuff as well. For simple tracks, it's a pretty dope sequencer.

The 520/1040's were pretty cool(I used to use Dr T's KCS 1.5 on a 520 I scored on Usenet inthe early 90s). They didn't do the tape sync and din thing, though. I guess that doesn't matter if your rig is a 1040, and s950 and a mixer.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
There are some things that are really cool about it if you are in a 1980s workflow. For one, it has FSK sync, it also does midi and din sync. If you have an open reel you can stripe the tape and lock up your 808, multitrack your triggered pro one, and it will handle all your midi stuff as well. For simple tracks, it's a pretty dope sequencer.

The 520/1040's were pretty cool(I used to use Dr T's KCS 1.5 on a 520 I scored on Usenet inthe early 90s). They didn't do the tape sync and din thing, though. I guess that doesn't matter if your rig is a 1040, and s950 and a mixer.

I was using the SQD-1 with just a sampler.

I could never get the tempo to be exact after changing it for another track. Nothing would ever loop properly. If I'd been using synths it wouldn't have mattered, but I was just starting out.

The ST was just luxury after the SQD-1.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
Yes
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Analogue sequencers were floating around Detroit in the good ole days.

Jeff Mills and UR are the two most obvious examples. Huckaby, Deepchord, and BMG used to mess with them as well. I wouldn't be entirely shocked if they were used on the Dataphysix records, either.
Robert Hood mentions using one in the early 2000s (for the Point Blank album) in this interview:

Robert Hood : interview op KindaMuzik

SND SAM-16
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You may find This tread informative.
Thanks. I'll check it out.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyshaver View Post
He records under that name.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Agreed, Why I mentioned Eurorack to begin with is a lot of these old synth you mention have had their Oscillators/filters etc recreated circuit wise in module format so you will get the sound.
Expensive way to do it, and I'd rather have something like a Mirage than a module based on a single Curtis chip harvested out of one.

Quote:
I was listening to the Derrick May Icon track and the drums sound as they has come straight from my Eurorack, Tiptop drums triggered by MI Grids gets you the exact same sound.
Just looked up what Grids does:

"Take the user interface of an euclidean sequencer, a healthy dose of machine learning and graph algorithms, megabytes of drum loops, hours of intensive computations and you’ve got a drum pattern generator like no other.

Grids’ “brain” is a map of the typical drum patterns used in (mostly electronic) music, laid out by similarity, trained on a large corpus of drum loops. The module can smoothly interpolate and navigate from one pattern to the other, at the whim of a knob move or a CV.

But Grids’ knowledge of drum patterns goes far beyond what would be achieved with presets – given a position in the map, thousands of variations can be intuitively generated by controlling the “event density” of each of the 3 channels (bd, sd, hh) – gradually moving from a sparse backbone to a deliciously rich pattern with ghost notes, rolls and fills."

Might as well use MC303 presets!
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
He records under that name.
Ahhh, I did live sound for some stuff he did in Toronto in the '90s, just wanted to be sure it was the same dude.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Might as well use MC303 presets!
The Eurorack (mine for example) runs in a small neat 9U case that you can take anywhere and only requires 1 wall wart plug

My plans is to have a case i can take anywhere, plug it in and churn out Techno, IDM or Noise in a live situation …. my 9u can do this
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Back on the topic of Detroit techno, 'ave some of this:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search