The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post

WANT!
WHOA. That 2nd one (that I included in my quote) is actually one of the few Modular vids that does really give me a Detroit techno vibe. Drooling now.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

That is sort of my worst fear. I will end up sitting around making bug noises all day wasting endless hours. It seems to me that if I go with the Atlantis then I have a "101" mono synth + a sequencer. Then later I can add some more funky and weird modules. This way I stay focused on treating it as a synth with some extras and still "stay productive."
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Here's one from May 2013

Id just finished building the DIY L-1 Tube VCA which contains a Soviet subminiature rod tube , thats the module with the orange Knobs that thing really crunches up the sound

Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That is sort of my worst fear. I will end up sitting around making bug noises all day wasting endless hours. It seems to me that if I go with the Atlantis then I have a "101" mono synth + a sequencer. Then later I can add some more funky and weird modules. This way I stay focused on treating it as a synth with some extras and still "stay productive."
Yes Agreed,

Metropolis was a must for me, i really like Atlantis however don't have as much GAS for it as i have all the elements module wise to have a subtractive synth.

My must have Module is Pamelas workout, id be lost without her.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am considering taking the plunge shortly as well, and that's my specific fear too.

My main concern w/ the Atlantis is that I have a 101 already (that said, it doesn't really sound like a 101 to me), and do I lose the "fun" of modular if I start w/ a block?

That said, that video alone may have just sold me on both atlantis and the metropolis, that's exactly the kind of stuff I like and make.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
WHOA. That 2nd one (that I included in my quote) is actually one of the few Modular vids that does really give me a Detroit techno vibe. Drooling now.
That video should have a disclaimer:

WARNING
This video is hazardous to you bank balance!
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

One thing folk don't mention about Eurorack is you can fill a whole 9U (3 rows) and only use 1 wall wart, If you go the Hardware synth route you end up with wall warts, extension leads and cables all over the place.

Once Metropolis arrives my 1st 9U will look like this, and only 1 wall wart

I've called it my "One stop Techno shop"

Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
One thing folk don't mention about Eurorack is you can fill a whole 9U (3 rows) and only use 1 wall wart, If you go the Hardware synth route you end up with wall warts, extension leads and cables all over the place.

holy f*ck!
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar View Post
I am considering taking the plunge shortly as well, and that's my specific fear too.

My main concern w/ the Atlantis is that I have a 101 already (that said, it doesn't really sound like a 101 to me), and do I lose the "fun" of modular if I start w/ a block?

That said, that video alone may have just sold me on both atlantis and the metropolis, that's exactly the kind of stuff I like and make.
I let my 202 go as I found it a workflow deal breaker. I wanted to replace it with a 101 as a 2nd mono which I could run directly from my sequencer with cv/gate and intergrate it straight off. Much more ideal for me.

I think you are not going to "lose the fun" of modular with the Atlantis. It does have patch points which will really start to come into play one there are a couple of additional funky modules in the case.

For me the reason to go modular are 2 fold. First, its an area of synths I haven't engaged in at all. Sort of like the final frontier. I get a synth + a sequencer which are both highly functional with out too much deep thought and then room to explore other ideas. Its sort of the best of both worlds. It keeps me focused so I keep moving forward but I can still putter around trying out this and that.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Guys the best advice I can give you is to get a 9u rack to begin with, if you go the 3u route you'll only frustrate yourself with the lack of room compared to what is available.
9u Gives you room for drum modules, sequencers, oscillators/filters, Function generators, mixers & VCA's.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Back on topic....

This man is a fuking hero!!!
This **** with the rocks is mind blowing.

Nice gear: Nagra, Ms20, Waldorf Wave...I know he also has an Sp-12Turbo too.

Mike Huckaby as their mentor. Fakkkkk I might as well pack it in.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Surely AIRA is the perfect thing for making Detroit Techno! It's the New Old!!

Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Guys the best advice I can give you is to get a 9u rack to begin with, if you go the 3u route you'll only frustrate yourself with the lack of room compared to what is available.
9u Gives you room for drum modules, sequencers, oscillators/filters, Function generators, mixers & VCA's.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion. That seems some what reasonable. I was thinking about going with a 6U to start as it seems like every time I build a set up on modulargrid it ends up being 1000's and 1000's of dollars. I am trying to keep things modest without selling of other gear to fund a modular. In a way I keep telling myself if I go modular its "a marathon not a sprint."
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's one from May 2013

Id just finished building the DIY L-1 Tube VCA which contains a Soviet subminiature rod tube , thats the module with the orange Knobs that thing really crunches up the sound

At first was like...

Then was like....
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

This is a freaking work of art!

How much does this rig set one back????
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back on topic....

This man is a fuking hero!!!
This **** with the rocks is mind blowing.

Nice gear: Nagra, Ms20, Waldorf Wave...I know he also has an Sp-12Turbo too.

Mike Huckaby as their mentor. Fakkkkk I might as well pack it in.
Nice.

And that gear....
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcgood View Post

Thank you, to be honest I have no idea how much this rig cost me it's been a labour of love for the past year.

@Dubtek71, Enjoyed the Mike video
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you, to be honest I have no idea how much this rig cost me it's been a labour of love for the past year.

@Dubtek71, Enjoyed the Mike video
I've been getting close to jumping into the modular scene. Whats your view on the Pittsburgh Modular complete systems for those of us who are new to modular?

I'd want to start with a full system at first in order to focus more on learning and experimenting with synthesis, rather than rack my brain over which modules to get. Personal preference. Then, if I'm really keen on it I could dismantle and part out what I don't want and go down the winding module road for a few years.

I make trip hop, lounge, down tempo, sound scapes, ambient, cinematic, urban electronic, and electronic dance music.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've been getting close to jumping into the modular scene. Whats your view on the Pittsburgh Modular complete systems for those of us who are new to modular?
I've only been into Eurorack for just over a year when I began I had no idea either.
I did toy with the idea of getting a pittburgh modular foundation and probably would of at the time if they were easily available in the uk a year ago.

But looking deeper into it I realised if I got the foundation I'd be paying for some modules that overtime I probably wouldn't want, plus if I got the foundation I would still need to buy another case for all the GAS inducing modules I kept looking at.

So I bought a Doepfer 9u case and my first module was a Borg filter ( I remember putting audio thru it for first time and wow ), if your building slowly I'd advise anybody to buy a filter first as you can use it straight away with any of your existing hardware and any audio you want to put through it, after that I bought an Oscillator and so on......

So basically there is nothing wrong with the Pittsburgh systems, its just I wanted a system where I chose every single module myself, plus if you buy slowly one at a time you learn more about each module.

Just dont get overwhelmed, modulars really are not complicated at all.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

While he is not from Detroit per se. And in keeping with the modular discussion over the last page or so.

Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

kirk's a bit of a genius.....amalia from his as one alias is about as good as it gets.

Quote:
if your building slowly I'd advise anybody to buy a filter first as you can use it straight away with any of your existing hardware and any audio you want to put through it, after that I bought an Oscillator and so on......
this intrestsme as im looking to get into the modular game, albeit slowly, thjis year, so if i hear you right, i can go buy a small case with power supply and add a filter, and it will let me filter incoming audio without having to buy any extra modules ,like audio to cv , env or vca etc. forgive my ignorance but the whole modular thing looks so tempting but really dont know where to start?
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

Go to modulargrid.net and build something yourself to get an idea. You'll see the total price under your modular as you add modules.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post

this intrestsme as im looking to get into the modular game, albeit slowly, thjis year, so if i hear you right, i can go buy a small case with power supply and add a filter, and it will let me filter incoming audio without having to buy any extra modules ,like audio to cv , env or vca etc. forgive my ignorance but the whole modular thing looks so tempting but really dont know where to start?
Do it. My 6U has only 3 filters and Expert Sleepers ES-3 and ES-5 in it atm. Sweet, soaring filters over anything else is great fun. Next building two diy ARP2600 VCA's. Slowly slowly.....
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
so if i hear you right, i can go buy a small case with power supply and add a filter, and it will let me filter incoming audio without having to buy any extra modules ,like audio to cv , env or vca etc.
Correct

All the filters have input / output, very self explanatory/easy to use.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

thanks for the help gents...now i can start shopping for a case and some filters and maybe some others bits ...and....and...oh wait..thats how it happens isnt it?
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:

WANT!
You b*stard. What did you have to post that for.......and there's me thinking analog sequencers are not for me.....and then that.
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You b*stard. What did you have to post that for.......and there's me thinking analog sequencers are not for me.....and then that.
Analogue sequencers aren't for you.
Cirkon is what your looking for.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch View Post
Analogue sequencers aren't for you.
Cirkon is what your looking for.
Go away. I'm brassic as it is.....
Old 20th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Sorry bout that. I should have posted the warning first and the video after.
Old 20th February 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Sorry bout that. I should have posted the warning first and the video after.
Never really felt any urge for a step sequencer before, but that thing looks a LOT of fun........

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search