The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajebca View Post
This is the first thing currently coming into my mind when i think of detroit techno

I just ordered a tickets for their latest tour so I can check them playing live in april
Check the 430West Detroit Calling mix cd. It's a serious banger! It's all there, BlackWater, Seige, Eniac...
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcnulty View Post
The thing that i think makes detroit techno isn't the music notation but the sounds and the way they are used, thats what parts minimal music from pop or rock is the fact that notation doesn't have much to do with that genre. Its all sounds and textures not chords and melodies imo.
A lot of techno is more about sound design than the notes played, but many of the early techno records, Derrick May's records particularly, were very melodic. You could play them on a piano and they would still be good music.

The ideal of course is to combine the both, great sounds with great music. But, working with just the Nintendo, great sounds are out of my reach at the moment, so I have to come up with killer melodies and chord progressions.
Old 30th March 2013
Gear Guru

I have to say I admire your Nintendo adventure and some of the results you have gotten are very cool. In the land of the overabletoned with fifteenthousand plugins he goes forth with his Nintendo and slays. Respect.
Old 30th March 2013
Jose Ramón Alvarado Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Seminal track, complete with pitch bent chords and that crazy Detroit Techno bassline.
When i heard this track in 96, i was blown away!!!!!

I've said, this is the type of music i want to make.
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
When i heard this track in 96, i was blown away!!!!!

I've said, this is the type of music i want to make.
You and me both.
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

Funny. Was offered a Kawai Spectra for 50 bucks today. Hmm...
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Resurrecting an old thread, since I didn't want to make a new one for a simple, related question:

Anyone with perfect pitch and/or golden ears fancy a go at deciphering what chords in the pad and the strings and notes of the bassline that starts at at 1:15 are in this classic Detroit track?

Not trying to rip Derrick off, it's purely for studying purposes!
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Forgot the link, sorry!

Old 1st August 2013
It starts with an F.

Heh.
Old 1st August 2013
VST
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfunkel View Post
Resurrecting an old thread, since I didn't want to make a new one for a simple, related question:

Anyone with perfect pitch and/or golden ears fancy a go at deciphering what chords in the pad and the strings and notes of the bassline that starts at at 1:15 are in this classic Detroit track?

Not trying to rip Derrick off, it's purely for studying purposes!
Bass line is B pentatonic minor as far as I can tell.
Old 1st August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstace View Post
Bass line is B pentatonic minor as far as I can tell.
Sweet, thanks! I'll give that a try.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Bumping an old thread to get some Detroit vibes going again...

Anyone hazard a guess as to what synths were used for the main lead/bass and chords? Some of the best **** I've heard in a while...sure knows how to program an 808!
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

You can get the detroit vibe via Eurorack modular, it all about getting the right modules which is my mission at the moment.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Carl Craig, I believe, has been into his modular for a long time.

And obviously a bunch of the newer techno crew is all about modular.
Old 19th February 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by cane creek View Post
You can get the detroit vibe via Eurorack modular, it all about getting the right modules which is my mission at the moment.
^truth

not exactly detroit techno, but this was possible for me with mostly bare-bone foundation modules like oscillators, VCF's, clock dividers, etc.

Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomioueda View Post
^truth

not exactly detroit techno, but this was possible for me with mostly bare-bone foundation modules like oscillators, VCF's, clock dividers, etc.

my ears
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

I read earlier in the thread that some of the original Detroit techno legends used the Ensoniq Mirage sampler, the Mirage had/has a great sounding filter.

A Mirage contains 4 x CEM3328 chips, A UK modular firm called AMSynths recycle old Mirage samplers and use the chips to make Eurorack module filters.

They had a deal where if you gave them your old Mirage sampler they would give you a Mirage module, then they could make another 3 modules with the remaining chips.

I'm lucky enough to own a AMSynths Mirage filter and up to now its my Favorite Eurorack filter and certainly a must for my techno inspired modular.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
Carl Craig, I believe, has been into his modular for a long time.

And obviously a bunch of the newer techno crew is all about modular.
Thats right.

Hey nice to see you again. Hope things are well.

"I got a lot of fuking filters you know..."

Seriously slutty studio.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Here's a quickie i made

Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a quickie i made

Really nice stuff. Sounds huge. I am now going to post a seriously GAS inducing vid.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

WANT!
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

hey Dubtek71 you need to remove the = out of your YouTube link so that it will work.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomioueda View Post
^truth

Quote:
Here's a quickie i made

DAMN. Loving THIS.

MORE! MORE!!
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Thats odd I could see the vid with the " = " in the link. Seemed to show up in the thread too.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Funny my brother works in Texas, I emailed him the other day and he got me the last Metropolis from switched on in Austin heh Unfortunately he's not due home til March 10
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Thats odd I could see the vid with the " = " in the link. Seemed to show up in the thread too.
might be my iPad, but I kept getting error when hitting play
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny my brother works in Texas, I emailed him the other day and he got me the last Metropolis from switched on in Austin heh Unfortunately he's not due home til March 10
You bastard!(jk)

I watched the Metropolis vid for a 2nd time last Friday nite. A short while later I found myself on the phone with my local shop. I said "Put me down for the Metropolis and the Atlantis too...." and I also said "Are you able to get me a price for a Doepfer 9U and Doepfer 6U case please? I am going to need room to expand later..." I don't know what came over me.

I suggest staying far far away from that Metropolis video.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
I suggest staying far far away from that Metropolis video.
Its that exact video that made me order
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Its a very well done vid. It made me laugh a couple times. I like his sense of humour.
Old 19th February 2014
Lives for gear

Here's a video i made back in August 2013 my modular has grew since then.

90% of modular videos on youtube seem to be just noise don't get me wrong i like making noise however i'm making a conscious effort to post more musical ones.

The melody type sound your hearing here is Make Noise maths scanning through the Wavetable of a E350 Morphing Terrarium Oscillator, lovely Oscillator indeed.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search