The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 13th April 2012
  #361
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Less than 5 % of music producers will be doing it well, as always. But that's enough.
lol.....indeed.


Sent from my GT-I5800 using Gearslutz App
Old 13th April 2012
  #362
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
the soft shortcut
It doesn't really matter the tools in the end, but there are no shortcuts to creating art, because art is just the residual of the creative imagination which cannot be faked. You can absolutely make great art entirely with software 100% in the box, but not with hand holding do it for for you luser advertisement aesthetic 'be a producer' scamware.
Old 13th April 2012
  #363
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
It doesn't really matter the tools in the end, but there are no shortcuts to creating art, because art is just the residual of the creative imagination which cannot be faked. You can absolutely make great art entirely with software 100% in the box, but not with hand holding do it for for you luser advertisement aesthetic 'be a producer' scamware.
Not sure I understand that last bit.....lol.... you mean what?

All I meant by 'soft shortcut' is that staying in the box may be a little more convenient workflow and it's superquick to get an 'ish' tone on a sound....whereas you patch around a bit with hard stuff the ish so easily goes into actual. Obviously that doesn't make any records for you, never mind good ones, and a good soft made one is good and a bad hardware made one is still bad. I would have thought that's a given.

But IMO it DOES inspire while creating in a totally different way to soft stuff. And a mixer gives you a way to 'reach in there'. And THAT helps you make a better record. And is tons more fun.
Old 15th April 2012
  #364
Lives for gear
 

Detroit techno - recommended outboard effects?

Hi,

I'll shortly be investing in a 16 channel analog mixing desk to add to my current setup (see signature). I'm interested working outside the box a bit more, doing some live jams with real hardware and giving my sound more of "live" feel.

At the moment I record all 16 channels directly into my firewire audio interface and add effects, EQ and sequence from within Ableton.

I already have an Alesis Quadraverb and I understand that Midiverb IIs were used quite extensively in old Chicago and Detroit productions

I was wondering if anyone can recommend any other cheap effects hardware - delay, distortion, reverb, flanger/phaser, compressors etc for making techno music (more specifically Detroit techno).

Cheers.
Old 15th April 2012
  #365
Lives for gear
 
pinkerton's Avatar
 

In the spirit of techno, you should get a performance oriented effects box like a kAoss pad or a Roland eF-303. Quirky stuff like that is what techno is really all about.
Old 15th April 2012
  #366
Lives for gear
You already have way more **** than you need to make a Detroit techno record.

The secret to Detroit techno is knowing how to use what you have.
Old 15th April 2012
  #367
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Please describe, what wouldn't be good for (Detroit) techno. Otherwise you could be recommended every effect box known to man.
Old 15th April 2012
  #368
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossicle View Post
Please describe, what wouldn't be good for (Detroit) techno. Otherwise you could be recommended every effect box known to man.
I'm just after some recommendations for cheap effects units that sound good and are worth me buying. If anyone owns any and can recommend them it'd be much appreciated. That's all .
Old 15th April 2012
  #369
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
You already have way more **** than you need to make a Detroit techno record.

The secret to Detroit techno is knowing how to use what you have.
Yes, I'm well aware that I can make a record with what I have, but I'm interested in working outside the box a bit more. Hence my initial question.
Old 15th April 2012
  #370
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
lol aren't you the guy that started a thread 3 days ago about what is a good mixer to make detroit techno?!! jeessus what's it gonna be next "detroit techno - recommended monitors/audio cables/coffee table"???!! ok i'm just taking the piss but starting multiple threads over an identical subject can be seen as spamming also please use search function as these subjects have been covered a million times
Old 15th April 2012
  #371
Lives for gear
Detroit music=using whatever you can get your hands on.

My first record was recorded completely dry because I couldn't afford a reverb unit. It got 4 stars on RA, sold through two pressings, and I still get regular discogs orders for it to this day. My hardware studio set up at the time cost a fraction of your 909.

Music sells the records, not the gear.

Get a Mackie and a couple reverbs and stop buying ****. Once you do that, put most of your gear in the closet, because you already have too much stuff.
Old 15th April 2012
  #372
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
lol aren't you the guy that started a thread 3 days ago about what is a good mixer to make detroit techno?!! jeessus what's it gonna be next "detroit techno - recommended monitors/audio cables/coffee table"???!! ok i'm just taking the piss but starting multiple threads over an identical subject can be seen as spamming also please use search function as these subjects have been covered a million times
didn't think it would be an issue seeing as though i'm asking about completely different kit to be honest mate.
Old 15th April 2012
  #373
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatupdoe? View Post
Detroit music=using whatever you can get your hands on.

My first record was recorded completely dry because I couldn't afford a reverb unit. It got 4 stars on RA, sold through two pressings, and I still get regular discogs orders for it to this day. My hardware studio set up at the time cost a fraction of your 909.

Music sells the records, not the gear.

Get a Mackie and a couple reverbs and stop buying ****. Once you do that, put most of your gear in the closet, because you already have too much stuff.
Point taken but I do use all the stuff I currently have and I'm not buying for the sake of it.. I'm just interested in changing my workflow a bit to use outboard instead of the ones that come with Ableton.
Old 15th April 2012
  #374
Lives for gear
 

The above posts are a bit blunt but generally right IMO. If you do want to buy more stuff then a Boss SE50/SE70 or Yamaha REX50/SPX50D/SPX90 are cheap and worth having. A dedicated delay is worth it too I think, one with knobs on and modulation. Look out for old Vestafire/Phonic/Digitech ones.

Back in the early days of this music, the gear was so expensive that your Quadraverb would be about as much as what many people had. If they couldn't afford that they used the slightly older stuff like the 1U delay racks or even guitar pedals.
Old 15th April 2012
  #375
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock View Post
The above posts are a bit blunt but generally right IMO. If you do want to buy more stuff then a Boss SE50/SE70 or Yamaha REX50/SPX50D/SPX90 are cheap and worth having. A dedicated delay is worth it too I think, one with knobs on and modulation. Look out for old Vestafire/Phonic/Digitech ones.

Back in the early days of this music, the gear was so expensive that your Quadraverb would be about as much as what many people had. If they couldn't afford that they used the slightly older stuff like the 1U delay racks or even guitar pedals.
Much appreciated. Was exactly the kind of reply I was after .
Old 15th April 2012
  #376
Lives for gear
i'm sorry to tell you this but the only way you can make Detroit techno is by moving to Detroit. the reason everyone loves Detroit is because everyone does their own thing. there is no Detroit standard you have to follow. use whatever you can get your hands on and put soul into it.
Old 15th April 2012
  #377
Lives for gear
 

If you really want to make great detroit techno............Stop surfing the web.Its inauthentic.And your music and taste will suffer.Mine has.I used to be a contender.Honest
Old 15th April 2012
  #378
Lives for gear
 

Anyway,if you get the chance pick up a Yamaha a3000/a4000/a5000 sampler.There cheap and extremely flexible fx units and samplers.Im not kidding.With one of these you can use from 3-6 fx at the same time and there geared for dance music.Nice clean signal with lots of grunging potential.Delays,flanges,panning ectect.There going cheap cheap nowadays.
Old 15th April 2012
  #379
Lives for gear
 

Ya..I bet that's the best advice... you wanna make Detroit techno or house? then move there. I never lived there, so my stuff will never sound like it. There's a grip of really nice sounding underground stuff outta germany, europe, america, where ever, with obvious influence, sounds and vibe like detroit stuff, but you can always still tell it aint outta detroit...sometimes others are too dark (germany stuff), not enough soul or vibe, etc. So I guess you need to move somewhere to make it sound like that. Make the city yours. Be part of that city. Do the daily things they do and go through, every single day. Live there. Then I am sure you will have their similar state of mind as the city's music you wish to make.
Old 15th April 2012
  #380
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
yup terminate your internet service asap, sell all your gear, buy a portable sony dat or better yet cassette recorder and a one way ticket to detroit. work night shifts at the GM factory. sample auto part machine mechanisms with recording device. become the next theo parrish / jeff mills
Old 15th April 2012
  #381
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
yup terminate your internet service asap, sell all your gear, buy a portable sony dat or better yet cassette recorder and a one way ticket to detroit. work night shifts at the GM factory. sample auto part machine mechanisms with recording device. become the next theo parrish / jeff mills
I'll get right on that!

I seriously wish I'd never mentioned the D-word in this thread :P.
Old 15th April 2012
  #382
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
I'll get right on that!

I seriously wish I'd never mentioned the D-word in this thread :P.
I don't think you ever needed to mention the "D" word, judging by your soundcloud tracks. I think you have captured the old detroit sound quite nicely in some areas.
Old 15th April 2012
  #383
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
I don't think you ever needed to mention the "D" word, judging by your soundcloud tracks. I think you have captured the old detroit sound quite nicely in some areas.
thankyou very much .
Old 17th April 2012
  #384
Lives for gear
 

incidentally by the way, terrence dixon has started a group on facebook called "minimal detroit". lots of superb tunes being posted in there. recommended
Old 17th April 2012
  #385
Lives for gear
 
worm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
incidentally by the way, terrence dixon has started a group on facebook called "minimal detroit". lots of superb tunes being posted in there. recommended
got a link?
Old 17th April 2012
  #386
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by worm View Post
got a link?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/minimaldetroit
Old 17th April 2012
  #387
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
i'm sorry to tell you this but the only way you can make Detroit techno is by moving to Detroit. the reason everyone loves Detroit is because everyone does their own thing. there is no Detroit standard you have to follow. use whatever you can get your hands on and put soul into it.
Nonsense, There barely even a scene there. Ask any honest Detroit DJ/Producer from the era or ay UK Dj who visited Detroit at the time. The localcs couldnt even get a gig in their home town. Now, Britain that was a different matter. All you needed was to have actually visited Detroit and you would get a gig in the uk complete with red carpet thrown in front of you. UK made the Detroit sound big, and importantly it developed the sound forcing the handful of Detroit guys to step up their game. In a nutshell the UK made the Detroit artists who they are today. It certainly wasnt the US, or France, or Germany.

I even remember Rub A Dub being URs biggest customers actuality going over buying 15,000 pieces of vinyl they would never have sold in their home town or area. Stuff that had lain there for years. Except Rub a Dub got thrown back to the UK on the first plane becasue the authorities thought they were meeting up with the an underground resistance team Called UR - Underground Resistance as it said on the card. THey eventually got the records and probably sold them all to.


I should really give the Belgian label R+S credit here for they certainly helped develop the Detroit Techno sound in Europe. One of my favourite labels and I finally got a release with them. Six months later they completely changed to drum n bas. The strangest decision I ever saw a label make, considering R+S were highly respected in their field. The change was eventually the death of them.

Last edited by spaceacademy; 18th April 2012 at 02:16 AM.. Reason: Addition
Old 17th April 2012
  #388
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
I even remember Rub A Dub being URs biggest customers actuality going over buying 15,000 pieces of vinyl they would never have sold in their home town or area. Stuff that had lain there for years. Except Rub a Dub got thrown back to the UK on the first plane becasue the authorities thought they were meeting up with the an underground resistance team Called UR - Underground Resistance as it said on the card. THey eventually got the records and probably sold them all to.

This is almost entirely correct but not quite, i used to spend alot of time in rub a dub back then, apparently they got bounced at customs because the faulty pressings they were returning had a picture of a native american chief's head.Apparently this was exactly the same symbol used by some militia group associated with Timothy McVey the Oklahoma city bomber.

Rub a dub was undoubtedly the best techno vinyl record store in the uk, sadly it lost a little of its vibe when they moved out of paisley and into the glasgow city centre.
Old 18th April 2012
  #389
Lives for gear
 

Well you know how mythology can grow arms and legs. But still, they got thrown back home on the first plane to Glasgow
Old 20th May 2012
  #390
Deleted User
Guest
this thread got me thinking about an old kawai spectra i had off ebay a few months back and what a lovely synth it is for simple chord harmonys using its bell waveforms etc.Instant moody detroit.

Kawai all the way and some ensoniq factory samples.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
San01 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
11
apres garde / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8
11413 / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump