The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Detroit Techno Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th April 2012
  #331
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

There you go:

Detroit TechnoeBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

That should make you rather happy.
Old 11th April 2012
  #332
Gear Guru
like all of these threads I have to mention the Mackie LM3204
Old 11th April 2012
  #333
Lives for gear
 

thanks for all your comments. i doubt that allen and heath will go for £150 though.. the last one on ebay sold for much more.

will certainly check out that soundcraft one.
Old 11th April 2012
  #334
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
like all of these threads I have to mention the Mackie LM3204
none on ebay at the moment unfortunately.. were they available worldwide or just in the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Put £200 and you can get likely a 16ch Soundcraft Delta. Sort of depends what sound you want.

Get a Midiverb II for £30.
the only soundcraft 16ch delta on ebay now is £400.. guess if i'm patient they go for much cheaper?
i've got an alesis quadraverb - is the midiverb ii much different?

cheers
Old 11th April 2012
  #335
+1 for delta, i use one myself (modified). go for the deluxe/DLX, better eq.

old tascams sound great. allan and heath, also fine.

cheap mackies sound like crap. 1604.. yea i've been there.. ewwww. my berhinger eurodesk was better.
Old 11th April 2012
  #336
Lives for gear
Any opinions on the Phonic 2443? I'm also in the market for a similar mixer and this one is available locally for $250 CAD with one channel insert jack not working. I have zero experience with non-DJ mixers and haven't heard of Phonic before.
Old 11th April 2012
  #337
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
There you go:

Detroit TechnoeBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

That should make you rather happy.
i actually really like the look of the 16ch allen & heath mixwizard. the 16 outs could go straight into the 16 channels on my audio interface. bonus. the last one went for over £600 on ebay though, which is 3-4 times my budget :(
Old 11th April 2012
  #338
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
If the CR 1604 was good enough for them, why not for you?

Then again, a lot of cool cheap mixers from 80-90's on ebay. Check the Sony MX series for example. I have the MX-P21, 8 channels, its pretty ballsy and aggressive sounding, nice eq, great build quality too. Soundtracs and Ramsa seem to be well liked too. I had a Soundcraft 200B(VE) which was warm and creamy but seriously lacked bass. The Delta is different I've understood.

The thing about the Detroit vibe though... IMO get whatever gear you can, lo fi or not, it doesn't really matter; whatever tools you have make the most of them, don't follow others, just 'feel' the vibe and make music!
Old 11th April 2012
  #339
Lives for gear
 

If you are going to go for old, try to get a modular one! i believe the delta is modular? there are a few other old soundcraft desks that are as well (also cheap). I have a Soundtracs PCmidi24 and got it for just over 200GBP, its modular, has midi mutes and one of those faux leather cushioned wrist support things. Its definitely worth you getting a few more quids together to give yourself more options.
Old 12th April 2012
  #340
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morechips View Post
If you are going to go for old, try to get a modular one! i believe the delta is modular? there are a few other old soundcraft desks that are as well (also cheap). I have a Soundtracs PCmidi24 and got it for just over 200GBP, its modular, has midi mutes and one of those faux leather cushioned wrist support things. Its definitely worth you getting a few more quids together to give yourself more options.
A 24ch PCMidi for 200 quid? Wow. Cool!!! Ridiculous!! That's another wicked option of a not so toylike actual desk!

And yes, the Delta is modular. To the OP: Just hang in there for the next Delta without buy it now price. It should stay within reach. Delta DLX is great.

Or go Sony, as mentioned. MX-P21, MX-P29 for peanuts or much better MX-P61 if you can find one.
Old 12th April 2012
  #341
Gear Nut
 
Axiom static's Avatar
 

Dude for $150 Punds you best to not even bother.
You will not get any warmth I don't think from such a mixer.

You often hear how cheap mixers sound bad-I am not sure. However cheap mixers are renowned for not adding gain well.

If I was only going to spend that much I would prefer to stay in the box and not bother coming out. Sorry but it is the truth. Save some more cash and remain ITB!
Old 12th April 2012
  #342
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom static View Post
Dude for $150 Punds you best to not even bother.
You will not get any warmth I don't think from such a mixer.

You often hear how cheap mixers sound bad-I am not sure. However cheap mixers are renowned for not adding gain well.

If I was only going to spend that much I would prefer to stay in the box and not bother coming out. Sorry but it is the truth. Save some more cash and remain ITB!
What you just said sounds good.But is not strictly true.Second hand you can get a good quality mixer that will amp and add grit,ect to your cold clean drum samples.Before you even get to the anemic daw screen.Plus you get the inspiration of working with real knobs and faders.Ah the romance-tear......edit-plenty of info on mixers,search..mackie was a bit boring for me tho.


Get one of these Peavey unity made in the usa old school workhorse for £50.
Old 12th April 2012
  #343
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom static View Post
Dude for $150 Punds you best to not even bother.
You will not get any warmth I don't think from such a mixer.

You often hear how cheap mixers sound bad-I am not sure. However cheap mixers are renowned for not adding gain well.

If I was only going to spend that much I would prefer to stay in the box and not bother coming out. Sorry but it is the truth. Save some more cash and remain ITB!
Sorry, but it is in fact not the truth at all, but merely your assumption.

Google the mentioned Soundtracs PC Midi and see what you find. These things were not toys and are not today. These things sound good! £200 for such a mixer tells you what's possible on the mixer front today......just don't buy a new mixer for such cash.
Old 12th April 2012
  #344
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Google the mentioned Soundtracs PC Midi and see what you find. These things were not toys and are not today. These things sound good! £200 for such a mixer tells you what's possible on the mixer front today......just don't buy a new mixer for such cash.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any of these for sale in the UK. Are they a US-based compnay by any chance? TBH though it looks pretty massive and would probably be a bit too big for my studio.

There's also no Sony MX-P29s on ebay so perhaps these weren't as readily avaialble in the UK too.

I definitely like the look of the A&H MixWizard 16:2 especially due to the individual outs for each channel although more than 2 buses would be nice.

The Soundcraft Delta also looks great although it looks a fair bit bigger than the A&H one.
Old 12th April 2012
  #345
Lives for gear
 

Also, does anyone have any opinions of the Allen and Heath ZED24?

Seems to be going for about £250 second-hand although I'm not sure what the quality is like seeing as though it's new and has usb etc.
Old 12th April 2012
  #346
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
+1 on 1604 CR, one of the best purchases i made this year & they cost close to nothing
Old 12th April 2012
  #347
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by binman_uk View Post
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any of these for sale in the UK. Are they a US-based compnay by any chance? TBH though it looks pretty massive and would probably be a bit too big for my studio.

There's also no Sony MX-P29s on ebay so perhaps these weren't as readily avaialble in the UK too.
Believe it or not, what's for sale on Ebay varies over time.

Those cheap Sony's and others do appear quite often on the European Ebays. The MX-P61 is more rare.
Old 12th April 2012
  #348
Lives for gear
 

Another plus1 fpr Delta. Beautiful sounding. Very chunky though. Takes up a lot of space. I can't fit mine in my current space :(
Old 12th April 2012
  #349
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Another plus1 fpr Delta. Beautiful sounding. Very chunky though. Takes up a lot of space. I can't fit mine in my current space :(
What are you comparing with? A Delta is not exactly massive, especially a 16ch frame. And can be carried easily by one man under the arm. Not something you can say about many 16ch consoles that are modular and 'proper'. Small and nippy as it gets I reckon.
Old 12th April 2012
  #350
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
+1 on 1604 CR, one of the best purchases i made this year & they cost close to nothing
Did you get the original or one of the VLZ / VLZPro ones?
Old 12th April 2012
  #351
Lives for gear
 
xanax's Avatar
CR is pre-VLZ
Old 12th April 2012
  #352
Gear Addict
 

Studiomaster Trilogy?
Old 12th April 2012
  #353
Lives for gear
 

I have a 16ch VLZ-Pro... are the older CR's really better?

Now I'm interested in a 24ch (or 32ch) Delta or Zed. I noticed some people and audio pros I buy synths from locally have a nice Zed, and they seem reasonably prices on ebay, around $600. There's also a nice 24ch Delta locally for $500... I really want to upgrade to 24 or 32 ch in the near future.

16ch aint cuttin it anymore with my mpc60, s950 which both have 8 indv outs, and all my synths, lol.
Old 12th April 2012
  #354
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooddude View Post
I have a 16ch VLZ-Pro... are the older CR's really better?

Now I'm interested in a 24ch (or 32ch) Delta or Zed. I noticed some people and audio pros I buy synths from locally have a nice Zed, and they seem reasonably prices on ebay, around $600. There's also a nice 24ch Delta locally for $500... I really want to upgrade to 24 or 32 ch in the near future.

16ch aint cuttin it anymore with my mpc60, s950 which both have 8 indv outs, and all my synths, lol.
Warning! You can end up filling 24 or 32 quite easily so patchbays are another option. Need a lot of cabling for those though.
Old 12th April 2012
  #355
Here for the gear
 

from what i've learned about detroit music...it's not what you have, or how you use it, but a matter of you being totally in "it". it's a spiritual thing, not a gear thing.
Old 12th April 2012
  #356
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica View Post
Studiomaster Trilogy?
Wouldn't want my whole tune running through it, but those things have the meanest distortion when caning the inputs.....makes a dance kick hum like a humming thing and go twice as big. FAT and squidgy.
Old 12th April 2012
  #357
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
A 24ch PCMidi for 200 quid? Wow. Cool!!! Ridiculous!! That's another wicked option of a not so toylike actual desk!

And yes, the Delta is modular. To the OP: Just hang in there for the next Delta without buy it now price. It should stay within reach. Delta DLX is great.

Or go Sony, as mentioned. MX-P21, MX-P29 for peanuts or much better MX-P61 if you can find one.
I guess i got lucky!! it does have a few minor faults but nothing that a bit of solder won't fix, the seller hadn't checked the desk properly before i picked it up so the original ebay winning price dropped to a very cool 200.

IMO we are living through one of the best times for getting into music production, processing power for your £/$/E is cheaper than ever before, RAM and storage is so cheap compared with late 90's and all this great studio hardware is flooding onto the market! No need to be exclusively ITB or OTB....space is the only real squeeze.

@OP Soundtracs were based in Surbiton, Surrey, UK.
Old 12th April 2012
  #358
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Truth right there ^^^^^ !!! So many great cheap tools now!!

And I bet in a while when a lot more people start using that hardware a bit more again instead of always taking the soft shortcut it will be a good thing.
Old 12th April 2012
  #359
Lives for gear
 
Ossicle's Avatar
Got to agree. The ITB revolution must (I hope) be in decline already. And something good will come out of it. Less than 5 % of music producers will be doing it well, as always. But that's enough.
Old 12th April 2012
  #360
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by natumo View Post
from what i've learned about detroit music...it's not what you have, or how you use it, but a matter of you being totally in "it". it's a spiritual thing, not a gear thing.
100% agree. that's why i want a mixing desk so i can be more hands-on instead of clicking a mouse .
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
San01 / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
11
apres garde / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
8
11413 / So much gear, so little time
1

Forum Jump
Forum Jump