The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
D&B mastering guy
Old 3rd August 2008
D&B mastering guy

this could go in the "mastering forum" but I think they've seen this before... LOL

Old 4th August 2008
heh thumbsup
Old 4th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drone View Post
-Nice inside take on the D&B scene.
Yep!

Master tunes at high volume, in boxy rooms full of hard surfaces with zero acoustic treatment!
Old 4th August 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTom View Post
Yep!

Master tunes at high volume, in boxy rooms full of hard surfaces with zero acoustic treatment!
LOL

he seems to know his stuff very well but you are so right..
Old 5th August 2008
I noticed that too. LOL on the graphic eq too! the phase mess that'll come from using that too much! definately the guy's experience, he goes out to a club and listens HOW it sounds. that doesn't happen much with regular mastering dudes IME.
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

TBH, I'm inclined to be pretty sceptical about how legit this is.
It does make ok content for a DVD, which is what they were after, but, it would not surprise me in the least if they made this in any old room, perhaps even 'down the hall' to the actual room the record was mastered in... you never know.
Old 5th August 2008
hmmm looks legit to me. a lot of the good stuff was done in little neon lit backrooms like this.
sortof the antithesis of all the posh mastering rooms with crazy gear, wall to wall carpet but bad ears dudes in them. the studio trend now is visual impact. LOL plus he got a PEa or W495b stereo eq (can't tell the difference from a distance) there as well, a lathe, some more neumann stuff like MS and monitor module plus two U473a compressors. that's standard mastering gear, not really something you'd stash in a back room. IMO of course..
he looks a bit puzzled when the dude reaches for the eq. (like: I'm going to bitchslap this guy?) that made me LOL
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
He doe's have an oscilloscope which could tell a fair bit. Also this type of music is fairly predictable &
He's probably done enough tracks to know his room & where the tracks need to be frequency wise for club/ PA systems.
there's one or two things in that vid tho, at one point he mumbles abit about whats in front of him, kinda makes it look like hes not overly familiar with that rig.

I'm not knocking him - like Reptil said a TON of respect for actually knowing/taking into account the application of what hes doing. Also not denying that the room doesn't have enough tools to get the job done, I just know alotta guys do like to spread disinfo & throw out red herrings...all in good fun of course
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
he looks a bit puzzled when the dude reaches for the eq. that made me LOL
LOL + 1!!! Thats actually one bit that made it seem like 'just for the dvd' for me, as you say tho, maybe not. One thing is for certain, having cameras in the studio is always gonna make more work for the M.E!!!

( must be off to my sceptics anon meeting now heh )
Old 5th August 2008
oh there's enough there to make a good master. phase, RTW levels and freq meters. it's an older setup yes. 10-20 years ago that cost a lot of money, most is from the seventies/eightties and if maintained there's no reason why it should be bad gear suddenly. the stuff done in computers now, so it's possible to pick up nice stuff for a fraction of the price. (which I did ) It doesn't have the slut factor, but sounds better than a lot of modern gear. Maybe you're right, but I think this is it. LOL
I guess he put the monitors in the corner to get the most bass out of them.

btw: nice mix. I also LOVE that Atjazz remix track! the best of those two releases for sure. thanks
Old 5th August 2008
Quote:
I think guys like this get used for that very reason.
They are predictable because they don't have a ton of flexibility,
but can deliver a consistent sound that people can associate with & can be considered desirable in certain genres.
exactly. you don't need someone who can do Britney. you need someone that can keep your synth pad alive, while the subbass just kills everyone. IN A CLUB
a mistake often made now. people go for the blingbling because that inspires confidence. I see it around me all the time. And then complain why their record sounds like a polished pop turd. "they did go to the best studio..blah blah" LOL
that room looks real to me just BECAUSE it looks boring. he probably WANTS one of these fancy Weiss eqs, but the graphic is all he got. notice how the phase just collapses when the video dude pulls down some sliders. instant flanger LOL
Old 5th August 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
oh there's enough there to make a good master. phase, RTW levels and freq meters. it's an older setup yes. 10-20 years ago that cost a lot of money, and if maintained there's no reason why it should be bad gear suddenly. the stuff done in computers now, so it's possible to pick up nice stuff for a fraction of the price. (which I did ) It doesn't have the slut factor, but sounds better than a lot of modern gear.
I guess he put the monitors in the corner to get the most bass out of them.
It was more the lack of treatment that threw me, altho it does look like the back of the desk/rack has some stuff to stop abit of ping-ponging. I may be old fashioned, but, lathe = massive slut factor for me Thats what I mean tho, some nice gear, but no love for the room in general, I guess club music will always be the 'red headed step child' for 'serious studios' tho.

Quote:
btw: nice mix. I also LOVE the Atjazz remix track! the best of those two releases for sure. thanks
Cheers! my first ever House mix, so I'm somewhat of a n00b still. 'Love Someone' is an AMAZING tune!!!
Old 5th August 2008
Quote:
It was more the lack of treatment that threw me, altho it does look like the back of the desk/rack has some stuff to stop abit of ping-ponging. I may be old fashioned, but, lathe = massive slut factor for me Thats what I mean tho, some nice gear, but no love for the room in general,
most label hqs I've been in were in run down office buildings at the back of some crappy industry site. with a pile of boxes in one corner, and ashtrays full of garbage, the blingbling of the club is just to make money. (real estate owner = only person actually making loads)
the mastering rooms on GS are not typical of the usual underground house/techno/d&b outfit.

Quote:
I guess club music will always be the 'red headed step child' for 'serious studios' tho.
and thank god it is. my place doesn't look exactly neat either. (need to fix the neons ) but the sonics mmm nasty heh

Quote:
Cheers! my first ever House mix, so I'm somewhat of a n00b still. 'Love Someone' is an AMAZING tune!!!
yes it is. I play it a lot slower usually so the "whoooomp" bass drifts a bit more, but that is just me. (IOW is not critisism) luuurrrrve that whoooomp
Old 5th August 2008
Lives for gear

Another old video interview with a well known mastering engineer often used by the D'n'B guys - George Peckham at Porky's:

Old 5th August 2008
what a character heh excellent!
thanks for posting

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search