The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland D-50 D-550 demos, tips, patches, transfer
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

That's the Problem with the JD990 - if only it had 2 card slots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post
ahh so you have to scroll across, you didn't chop up for fun, you had to

Isn't SoundDiver not for sale any more? I do like it's layout for the D50. I need a vst editor for the JD990 too, mostly so I can automate things an Cubase.

No longer sold or supported. But they do crop up second hand and on Ebay.
Works fine on Windows 7. And in future it should also work fine in a Virtual Machine XP mode in Windows #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Looks good.

Which version do you use and from where did you download D-50 editor module?

The last version they have out is v3.05, but it seems a bit flaky when starting up, it hangs a bit while it scans for connected synths, and you can't bypass it unlike the older v3.04, so I went back to that one.
SoundDiver comes with all the editors for all supported synths in the package. V3.05 adds a few more like the Andromeda ( just basic libarian though)
but they work with v3.04, so I just kept those profiles and downgraded back. Copy and past the profiles across

----
Attached Thumbnails
Roland D-50 D-550 demos, tips, patches, transfer-sd_setup.gif  
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
The Digital/Analog section of the synth is a great success imo.

whether or not you like the presets doesn't detract from what the synth can actually do.
Agreed -
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
In it's synthesis section the Pulse width settings are where a lot of the subtle and useful harmonic content lies imo. The 10 stage ADSRs are where the effective power range is.

The D50 has never really been exploited for what it is (actually) tremendously powerful at imho.. Which is actually incredibly powerful Analog type sound design. It is really odd that it's a digital piece.. It actually seems really like an SH-2 or Jupiter 4 when you start getting into it. The oddest and most rewarding experience I have had with a synth to Press.
Well said - was saying similar in a recent thread where people seemed oblivious to how good/warm a D-50 CAN actually sound in struct mode 1/2 (no samples!) It was and is a beautiful piece of work and a very powerful synthesizer (compared to similar priced mid 80s DCO analogs which while technically analog, many of them have naff filters not even as good as the digital ones in the D-50! and obviously far less power overall). It makes me smile that so many people write the D-50 of as a rompler (like a 'sub standard M1' yuck.. M1 is horrible, sorry) D-50 is a a real and one of a kind. Character, warmth, versatility and great design all in one package. Yes it has flaws but I still consider it one of the top 5 greatest synthesizers ever created, digital or not.

D110/10 and ALL other D series are not D-50s and lack the power and character, too many people have dabbled with a D-20 or D-70 and rightfully found them underwhelming and assumed the same goes for the D-50. D-50 stands alone.
Old 5th August 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Good to know that the D110 could very well be a D50 bar the chorusing.. who would have thunk it. :D
But it's not. Even if you COULD match up all the spec of the architecture they still sound very different. They lack the warmth of the D-50 for one thing. This is pretty common knowledge on every D-50 retro review (check sound on sound) and ever D-50 thread. Of course they have LAS still and some additions/tweaks but they don't have the same character, and the D70 in particular seems completely underwhelming considering it came after (remember the U series rompler motherboard inside)
Old 5th August 2011
Mr Arkadin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
the D70 in particular seems completely underwhelming considering it came after (remember the U series rompler motherboard inside)
I think Don might have something to say about that heh. I always wish they did an updated D-70 in a rack (D-770) - that would have been cool - the board is a little to big for my current set-up. However as you say it isn't an LA synth.

I only ever owned a D-10 and MT-32, so you can imagine what I thought of LA synthesis. Pretty poor. I nearly bought a D-50 for £200 back in the mid to late '90s but it was so beat up and when I unexpectedly turned up a bit early to see it the guy couldn't get a sound out of it. No sale.

Also my favourite artist (Gary Numan) somewhat overused the D-50 so I will need a long time before I can reassess this synth objectively. I'll manage with my JD-800/990 combo for now.
Old 6th August 2011
Gear Guru

that may be true. odd that the architecture looks almost identical though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
But it's not. Even if you COULD match up all the spec of the architecture they still sound very different. They lack the warmth of the D-50 for one thing. This is pretty common knowledge on every D-50 retro review (check sound on sound) and ever D-50 thread. Of course they have LAS still and some additions/tweaks but they don't have the same character, and the D70 in particular seems completely underwhelming considering it came after (remember the U series rompler motherboard inside)
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

D50 soundcards

I'm looking for recommendations for the best D50 soundcards for ambient pads and swirling textures. Also if there is a recommended "super bank" sysex file floating around which might make a great base preset bank to load ? There are so many out there it is a bit overwhelming. I've been reading D50 posts here for over an hour and still haven't made a dent. Wow, lots of info
Old 8th August 2011
Lives for gear

The patches by Sven Godijn are by far the best I've heard for the D-50. They mostly use the 'analog' parameters, not the samples. And they're great starting point to make your own sounds, all those parameters can be a bit overwhelming if you start a sound from scratch.

You can find them here, along with some free ones : Roland D-50 virtual editor

These don't come with a card though. The best sounds on card in my collection come from Voice Crystal (I have 1, 5 and 6) : Voice Crystal - Sounds for Roland Equipment
They also sell blank cards if you should want to transfer sysex banks to them for easy access.

Peter.
Old 24th August 2011
Lives for gear

was trying to load an entire bank of sysex D-50 files and for some reason it loads only 1 patch and INIT (erases all the rest). Looks like the D-50 only does a bulk load properly ? If I try loading 1 patch at a time it just keeps overwriting the first memory location. Anyone have 1 D-50 bulk load file of sysex with a kick ass set of 64 patches (pads/atmospheric stuff) which will "send" and load all in one dump ? Since my home PC is fried I've been sending the files from D-50 librarian at my parents house to my Alesis Datadisk first, then transferring from the datadisk to the D-50 at home. btw this synth kicks so much ass its not funny.
Old 13th October 2011
Gear Maniac

you can filter the samples - if you run them with a ringmod structure! (the results are often quite noisy, but great if you like to experiment and find new odd sounds... I love all the quirks with the D-series, aliasing is a feature! heh)

(I'm about to sell my D-20 which I can program without looking and I still really can't part with it - I have made to much fun stuff on it!)
Old 13th October 2011
Lives for gear

So True about the aliasing.
Reminds me of what softy guys call Chorus these days.
I loved my D50 and sampled the 3 presets I made and 4 other great signature sounds.
Heaven, a single preset, sold hundres of D50's.
The D70 was a disappointment, but it turned out to be a great 76 note controller....
Good friend of mine has the VSynth and the D50 card and it sounds totally different, still nice though.

IMHO if you are tired of your current pallette, but a D550 rack and enjoy imperfection at its finest.
Old 15th October 2011
Lives for gear

The sound of a D50 is no more cliche than the sound of a MiniMoog, or a DX7. But there is a reason that so many people fell in love and used those instruments, and they all felt the same way (no conspiracy). How do you quantify that phenomenon? you don't. The D50 just sounds silky, pleasing, and all of the FFT's graphs, and discussions won't change that.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

ROland D50 still worthy..

I have an offer to buy a Roland D50 for 250 eu. I own I Virus , Evolver, Nord Lead and Tetra. Is it still worthy? Thanks a lot!
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post
I have an offer to buy a Roland D50 for 250 eu. I own I Virus , Evolver, Nord Lead and Tetra. Is it still worthy? Thanks a lot!
Anyone??
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Yes, the D50 has nothing is common with your other synths. A true digital synth with its own personality.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

I'd get the rack version instead...but yeah, it's certainly worth it.
Old 1st December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks guys! ...so not too old for today sounds?
Old 2nd December 2011
Quote:
Thanks guys! ...so not too old for today sounds?
Please define what you feel "today sounds" are and give an example of a non-current synth that you think is incapable of creating whatever it is you're referring to.

No, the D-50 isn't too old to make contemporary music. It is a synthesizer and if you haven't noticed, most synths that people tend to value and are the inspiration for nearly all of the current gear (including what you own) is generally close to three or more decades old.

point of advice, there is more to a synthesizer than its presets.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I bought mine brandy new back in '88 and it's still here, getting used all the time. I've never felt like it was too old or dated! The thing always rocks and it's one of the very few synths that have such a playable keybed. It just feel great.

The damn thing just keeps on chuggin'!

Regards,
Frank
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot!
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
And Sounddiver > Midiquest
+100!
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear
d-50 librarian (FREE) is worth checking out - I prefer that to midiquest cos that has font problems and D-50 lib (NOT the virtual PG included) is a lot cleaner and easier to wrap your head around, though not all on one page (tabbed) you can copy and paste partials/tones etc.

D-50 = gorgeous.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

One question guys: Can I control the D50 with the Behringer BCR?
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
One question guys: Can I control the D50 with the Behringer BCR?
I don't have a BCR yet but as far as I know, most of D-50/550's parameters don't respond in real-time via sysex...you just have to hit the key again to hear the sound change...you can control the filter cutoff via aftertouch though (or any encoder than can send aftertouch messages)
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear

So, I cannot control D50 using one of today midi controllers?
Old 4th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
So, I cannot control D50 using one of today midi controllers?
Certain parameters update without having to release/repress a key (for ex LFO speed IIRC) but not things like Cutoff, so it's no good for tweaking while playing. If you just wanna program it from some knobs then there shouldn't be a reason why not as that's what's happening from the software editors (as said check the free D-50 librarian and you'll see there how it updates 'live' and which features need a key repress) then it's just a matter of mapping that sysex/data to the controller of your choice. I have a BCR but haven't got around to trying it with the D-50 yet.
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectwoofer View Post
I don't have a BCR yet but as far as I know, most of D-50/550's parameters don't respond in real-time via sysex...you just have to hit the key again to hear the sound change...you can control the filter cutoff via aftertouch though (or any encoder than can send aftertouch messages)
So does this essentially mean there is no replacement for the PG1000? I have a D50 and a JX3p and was hoping to get a single box that I might be able to use to program them both live (not at the same time, of course).

So is there any way to use another programmer for the D50 besides the PG1000? And if so, could I use it with the jx3p as well? Or with other pre 1990 MIDI synths?

Was going to create another thread to ask but it might be redundant considering it was touched on in this thread. Any response would be majorly appreciated!
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac
Getting started with the D-50?

Hey guys, I recently came very close to selling my D-50, but had a change of heart after shining up her dirty key contacts, and basically just giving her a good clean.

However, I really want to figure out how to program this beast. I understand subtractive synthesis, i understand how the D-50 works, and how the partials interact, but when it comes to starting from an INIT patch, I can't get a peep out of the thing.

Is there anyone out there who feels like giving me a basic rundown of how to get one of the partials (with just the SQU wave) to make some noise?

thanks
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

I got my D-50 today and am beginning to learn its synthesis. I don't know what you mean by partials.

I'm also confused with the relationship of the envelopes...they don't make the same kind of sense I know from the ADSR knobs from knobby subtractive synths like the Polysix and Virus.

The main issue I have is that the lower the note played the slower the attack, the higher the note played the faster the attack
This is also affecting the release times (higher note is shorter release, lower note is longer).

Another issue is the filter doesn't react in real-time, you have to let go of the note...meaning it won't pick up the change until you play another note. This is not good for if you like to live-play pads and drones.

So we're in this together, matey

My tip to you is to do what I just spent a couple of hours doing, that is to turn U-tone off, and turn the first part of L-tone off (via volume in the TVA setting). For me it had to be part 2 of the L-tone remaining because for some reason even when its volume is 0 you can still hear it play.

Anyway, this way you just have one part of one tone to play with. Think of it as a single oscillator. You can easier learn the synthesis aspects when it is affecting just one tone and all you hear is that one tone. Also, the D-50 can make some quite juicy-sounding leads with the filter on around 60-70 and the resonance on 30. Add portamento, chorus and a LFO pulse and you have quite a livewire tone right there. Have the "key mode" to DUAL-S so it's monophone for leads.

You still have to figure out the envelope settings, tho'...unless you're already wise to how they work (T1, T2, T3, T3...L1, L2, L3, L4, EndL etc).

If you figure out my confusing issues I described above let me know. And let's both update this thread with our patch attempts

Here's my first patch:

I'll make the next one directly from an INIT patch and let you know the settings.
Old 13th January 2012
Mr Arkadin
[Thread combined, post is now redundant]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search