The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-800 and JD-990
Old 6th July 2008
Roland JD-800 and JD-990

Just picked up a very clean JD-990 last Friday (took a long time to find one in Canada!) .

I must admit that it really sounds great. Compared to the JV1080 I had before, it sounds wider and more evolving (more 3D then?). Also, its output is very quiet compared to i.e., K2000. Wonder how they did it back in 1993.

Anyways, who else is using this baby? Any tip for finding patch libraries?

Cheers
Old 6th July 2008
Deleted 231be8b
I'm not sure if these soundbanks will work as they are from a JD800...

I downloaded them years ago when I owned the synth and found them recently on an old disk.

good luck

FlyUpload / Share Files

Scroll down to the orange "download now" icon - sorry it has pop up adverts
Old 6th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcB View Post
I'm not sure if these soundbanks will work as they are from a JD800...

I downloaded them years ago when I owned the synth and found them recently on an old disk.

good luck

FlyUpload / Share Files

Scroll down to the orange "download now" icon - sorry it has pop up adverts
Thanks a lot! From what I have ready, JD990 can import JD800 patches but the opposite is not possible. I wish someone could confirm this here.
Old 6th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I always liked the JD990. It has some great sounds, kick ass bass patches.
Yeah, the bassea are amazingly fat and round for a digital synth.
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

I love mine! Had it for years and will never part with it. Sonically they are even better than the JD-800, as it is two JD-800's in a box.

Ultra simple to program and sounds amazing.

I have had the 1080, 2080 & 3080 and sold them all...too vanilla.

This is a great sound design box and has awesome charchter.

XJ
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

I own the JD800 and it was the second synth I ever bought. I played it at a local store and saved for over a year to get it. I will probably never sell it. If they made a 990 with the 800's interface I would upgrade in a minute, but the interface is half the reason this thing is so special. It is very likely the easiest synth to program and for as much as it does that is saying a lot. You can make killer sounds in no time at all !!

All hail the great JD800 ( ok ... and the 990)
Old 6th July 2008
Lives for gear

To quote Don Solaris' own webpage here, there's a LOT of differences between the JD990 and JD800. Not sure how they'll sound.

I just recently picked one up myself and love it to death! I'd highly recommend getting the SR-JV80-04 Vintage card. It has 255 patches for the JV series, and its own special bank of 255 patches for the JD-990 that only works on the JD990. AFAIK, that's the only card like that. Now granted, it's a right pain in the arse to access those patches (you can only load in one at a time, UGH!) but it's possible to Sysex dump banks of 64 into the I memory locations, to make it a bit easier, again, thanks to Don Solaris' suggestion as well. Enjoy your new toy!

Roland JD-990: info and synthesis examples (contribution by Don Solaris)

Differences between JD-800 and JD-990 / what was added in the model 990
  • Wave ROM was expanded to 6MB (vs 4MB on JD-800) with 195 PCM waveforms (vs 108 on JD-800) and that includes some waveforms transferred from JV-80 probably to make them soundwise more compatible.
  • Pan inside each Tone was added. Warning: On JD-800 you can NOT pan indivisual tone for those wide stereo sounds!
  • Matrix modulation was added on the JD-990. This is actually quite important feature. Take this as a precaution if you plan to buy model 800: there is no matrix modulation on the JD-800! Let's explain this in a more simple way - on JD-800 you can't: increase cutoff point of Tone 1, decrease cutoff of Tone 2, increase resonance of Tone 3, decrease pitch of Tone 4 - all at the same time by moving the modulation wheel. In fact there is no modulation wheel on JD-800 at all. Majority of the sounds you'll hear below use the benefits of matrix modulation, and as such are simply impossible to be performed on JD-800.
  • Multiple sources for the same destination added. On JD-990 you can for example use two different LFO's for the same destination - i.e. pitch, filter, TVA. This can create complex modulations. On JD-800 you can only use one source for the same destination.
  • SR-JV expansion card support! Next to standard JD-800 series card slots, there is additional card slot to use a 8MB expansion boards from SR-JV series. (i.e. Vintage Expansion, Orchestral, SFX, etc.)
  • Roland JV-80 patch import.
  • The LFO section got additional waveforms: sine, trapezoid and chaos.
  • Osc sync function was added. It lets you synchronize two oscillators - a feature found in many analog synthesizers.
  • FXM was added. It stands for Frequency Cross Modulation - again found in some analog synthesizers, for example in JX and Jupiter series (although a little bit different there). It has 8 positions (labeled colors) that actually control the frequency of the modulating signal, and a depth setting 0 - 100 that controls the amplitude of the modulating signal.
  • Next feature is (again from analog synth era), the famous ring modulation, for creating all kind of metallic percussions and strange efx.
  • This synth features 6 types of ''structures'' which among many other things let you stack two filters in series, for building complex filter textures.
  • 24 dB filter (using structures), next to standard 12 dB which is always available.
  • Outputs increased to 8 total.
  • Polyphonic portamento.
  • Tempo sync delay.
Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

JD990 user here.
I've had one since they first came out.
Real bargain these days.
Old 7th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
Thanks a lot! From what I have ready, JD990 can import JD800 patches but the opposite is not possible.
JD-800 doesn't have the 1/5th of features that JD-990 has. It would be simply impossible to convert JD-990 patch into JD-800.

Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have two JD990s one with the vintage board - its still my first stop when I want a grunty screaming hammond organ with varying lesile speeds - just sounds so good.

When editing on the fly tho I still tend to grab my JD800 - its just so much more instant even tho the 990 has the lovely big display
Old 7th July 2008
using it ever since 1993. made ****load of patches on it. altough on surface its a ROMpler, beneath is a unique digital synthesizer with deep n powerful arhitecture. great and musical filters. so, fresh sounds are coming out even after all this time.

just don't use it for your regular top40 piano or brass, or acoustic guitar thats missing the point. unless u r goin for that early 90s house piano,,

great buy. i'm toying with idea of another one. just love the immediacy of using it in patch mode, with solid effects.. and all that..

Old 7th July 2008
Lives for gear

After listening to Don Solaris demo, wowowowowow! Im now gassing for one of these JD990's! I have a wavestation VST and a TG33, but they do not sound as good as what im hearing coming from this JD990!

This will be perfect for covering the digital end of my setup.
Old 8th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord View Post
using it ever since 1993. made ****load of patches on it. altough on surface its a ROMpler, beneath is a unique digital synthesizer with deep n powerful arhitecture. great and musical filters. so, fresh sounds are coming out even after all this time.

just don't use it for your regular top40 piano or brass, or acoustic guitar thats missing the point. unless u r goin for that early 90s house piano,,

great buy. i'm toying with idea of another one. just love the immediacy of using it in patch mode, with solid effects.. and all that..

Great points. I agree that compared to JV 1080 it is way more than a rompler. Very 3-D sounding and the recent track I recorded with it sounded great and sat in the mix very well.
Old 8th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Architecture View Post
After listening to Don Solaris demo, wowowowowow! Im now gassing for one of these JD990's! I have a wavestation VST and a TG33, but they do not sound as good as what im hearing coming from this JD990!

This will be perfect for covering the digital end of my setup.
Definitely go for it!
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

I just need to find one. Now that im tempted to pick up this one S1100 that I just saw, im trying to decide which I want at the moment.

Btw, whats the going rate for a JD990?
Old 8th July 2008
I picked up mine for $350 Canadian. It is inmint condition.
Old 8th July 2008
Quote:
Just a small warning. As i know three people so far who bought JD-990 after hearing those demos, soon to realize (and sent me messages, bitchin' like): "hey! there are no such patches inside!". Result: in frustration - they sold the JD.

What you heard in demos are my custom patches.

You won't find these in stock JD. Not even remotely close.
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

Presetpeople! High five!
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris View Post
Just a small warning. As i know three people so far who bought JD-990 after hearing those demos, soon to realize (and sent me messages, bitchin' like): "hey! there are no such patches inside!". Result: in frustration - they sold the JD.

What you heard in demos are my custom patches.

You won't find these in stock JD. Not even remotely close.

You should post this loud and clear disclaimer as part of you sig and on every demo page. I thik you've sold a lot of synths based on your demos, and brokem many unsuspecting hearts. heh

(you almost sold me a jd-990! )
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramseur View Post
You should post this loud and clear disclaimer as part of you sig and on every demo page. I thik you've sold a lot of synths based on your demos, and brokem many unsuspecting hearts. heh

(you almost sold me a jd-990! )
I'm sorry but this is pretty funny. Personally, I NEVER use presets except as a starting point ... sometimes. Learning how to get under the hood of these units is what its all about. These patches are great and they were created with the 990 w/o additional effects - That is totally legit. Don't blame the people here that are showing off what something is capable of for your own inability to program.

Sorry I don't like to bitch - but this is kind of absurd to me.
Old 8th July 2008
Gear Maniac

i love my jd .....but to be honest i am too lazy to program it.

i have a deep respect for peope like don who make all these awesome sounds..
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

The interface does has a lot to do with it. You can get very nice evolving sounds that are similar on a JD800 in a fraction of the time ( just not the same considering the difference in options). Thats why I still have the 800 and never even considered the 990. I look at that rack and, yeah, you know its going to be a total pain in the ass to program.

My main point is just that if you aren't sure about something like whether or not a demo someone puts up is a preset then you should be the one asking to make sure BEFORE you drop the $$ for the unit. I think its a cop out to blame Don Solaris for them buying the unit and not being happy with it.
Old 8th July 2008
Lives for gear

Those choirs at the end of the last demo were amazing! Ever since a friend brought his MC-505 over and showed me just how deep a synth it actually is, i've been keenly interested in the JD architecture. Especially the 990. Funny this thread should pop up. Looks like we may have just killed the cheap market for these =o]
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard View Post
Those choirs at the end of the last demo were amazing! Ever since a friend brought his MC-505 over and showed me just how deep a synth it actually is, i've been keenly interested in the JD architecture. Especially the 990. Funny this thread should pop up. Looks like we may have just killed the cheap market for these =o]
I doubt it. There be many people who buy it, then realize "I can't make this thing sound like teh demo, im selling it".
Old 9th July 2008
As someone else said, some people are 'PRESET' people. I personally know someone who changes romplers after he gets tired of their stock presets.

The reason I like my Fusion so much is that its presets and architecture really encourages me to program my own sounds. Something it does better than my Triton Extreme (the encouragement) heh
Old 9th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have been diggin more into my andy, and the only thing I have been able to get out of it is just lots and lots of analog pads. Im trying to work on getting more etheral spaced out sounds from it, but im sure I'll get there with it.

What Don has taught me is, you can do amazing things with any synth, you just gotta try.

Heck, Sealed of Deep synthesis amazes me with even 40 dollar romplers!
Old 9th July 2008
Quote:
Heck, Sealed of Deep synthesis amazes me with even 40 dollar romplers!
thumbsup
Old 9th July 2008
Gear Maniac

this is a demo i made along time ago.

i used a jupiter-6 and a pad i programmed on my JD-800 recorded straight onto dat.

http://marcholstein.com/music/Film3.mp3
Old 9th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhang View Post
The interface does has a lot to do with it. You can get very nice evolving sounds that are similar on a JD800 in a fraction of the time ( just not the same considering the difference in options).
Thanks to 990's large display and logic layout of menus (and once you get used to what is where) making a similar type of sound takes almost the same time there.

See, what takes additional time on 990 is because it has additional features that 800 simply doesn't have. Good side is - JD-990 is full of menu shortcuts, even in the dial. Push the VALUE knob while rotating it. This gives you x 10 per tick - that even Capt. Picard wouldn't be ashamed of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChemical View Post
but with the YS200, it's got 'easy edit' functions, and I took that to mean that everything was programmable from the front panel so that not only would you be getting a keyboard version of a TX81Z with effects, but you could also edit it from the front panel.
I feel sorry because of this, man. It's a pity you didn't pointed earlier you want the full edit from the front panel. I'd save you time and money.
Old 9th July 2008
Quote:
There be many people who buy it, then realize "I can't make this thing sound like teh demo, im selling it".
Been thinking about posting a link to this guy's posts on HC who was dying in frustration. But then, i have a lot of respect for him. He is making some fantastic music.

This would (probably) unnecessary expand the topic - as to what is more important - making good music or good sounds - although debating on this matter more/less depends on music style, and doesn't have a bottom line in the end. You make techno, ok, it's a composition of sounds - the more original, the better. You make classic, you'll use the same sound that exists for about 300 years - and is called a Piano. Personally, first thing i do when i buy a new synthesizer, i completely erase its RAM and start from zero.
๐Ÿ“ Reply