The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland JD-800 and JD-990
Old 15th April 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrakarl View Post
I've nutted this out very well on the SQ-R, which caters for key ranges nicely.
However I can't seem to find a parameter in the JD990 which lets me have a sound only engage once a certain key, for example A4 and above, is pressed. The only thing I could find in the manual is a cross-fade effect which reduces volume in a scaled way as you move either up or down the keyboard.
You're lucky you've got an SQ-R. Go from the sy77 into the SQ-R and use it's midi remapping functionality to do keyspits onto different channels. Read up on the SQR's smart transmit functionality in the manual.
Old 16th April 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold View Post
You're lucky you've got an SQ-R. Go from the sy77 into the SQ-R and use it's midi remapping functionality to do keyspits onto different channels. Read up on the SQR's smart transmit functionality in the manual.
OMG!!! Brilliant idea! Thank you….
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Maniac
Did the jd-990 have specific voltage versions (110/220V) or can they be used all over the world regardless of voltage?
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvfur View Post
Did the jd-990 have specific voltage versions (110/220V) or can they be used all over the world regardless of voltage?
The unit should have a multi taped transformer inside with 110 and 240V taps (amongst others I think)

I got mine form the US, opened it up and just took the lug with the wire from the 110 V and put it into the 240 V, done. It really is that simple, the thing never skipped a beat.

I think the 240 V setting should work fine for 220 V if it doesn't have a specific tab for 220V. I can't remember exactly how many taps it had, but I seem to recall that it had a few of them.
Old 3rd May 2015
Gear Maniac
Great!
Thanks
Old 7th July 2015
Here for the gear

Hi all, first post here.

I recently acquired a JD 990. Liking it a whole lot so far, but am having a problem.

The only effect that I can't get to seem to work or respond is the delay effect. I am able to navigate to it, turn it on in the Group B effects settings, but no matter how much I am dialing up the numbers I am not getting a delay. I know its a longshot, but I figured I'd put this question out there. Am I missing something? All the other effects (reverb, phaser, etc.) respond fine. But not the delay. I am running the out from the headphone jack currently.

Any advice welcome.
Thx
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffwich View Post
Hi all, first post here.

I recently acquired a JD 990. Liking it a whole lot so far, but am having a problem.

The only effect that I can't get to seem to work or respond is the delay effect. I am able to navigate to it, turn it on in the Group B effects settings, but no matter how much I am dialing up the numbers I am not getting a delay. I know its a longshot, but I figured I'd put this question out there. Am I missing something? All the other effects (reverb, phaser, etc.) respond fine. But not the delay. I am running the out from the headphone jack currently.

Any advice welcome.
Thx
Recent thread on this subject:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...ll-values.html

The quick answer is check the effects button on the front is on.
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

what the heck is up with the ebay prices of the JD-800. am i missing something?
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
what the heck is up with the ebay prices of the JD-800. am i missing something?
Afterglow from a recent bidding war or someone hoping to get lucky with a high BIN price and a few others set their prices based on that.

Those JD-800's will be rotting on ebay.

edit: Here's your smoking gun: Roland JD-800 and JD-990http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-JD-80...p2047675.l2557

At the end of may most JD-800's were selling in the 500-700 range depending on condition.

All it takes is one person who doesn't care about money....
Old 11th October 2015
Here for the gear

I just bought a JD 990 and have a quick question.
After running the LED diagnostic I noticed they all the buttons light up except the 'undo' button.
Can someone who has a JD990 confirm whether or not the undo button should normally light up?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Hey Pstar, The undo button does not have a light!!! You're Good!!!
Old 11th October 2015
Here for the gear

@ metatron13 Thank you very much for confirming this for me. That's a relief!
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Maniac

If any one is sell Ing a jd 990. Xv5080 or d-550 PLZ pm me
Old 3rd January 2016
Just got a JD-990 and love it sooo much!
Attached Thumbnails
Roland JD-800 and JD-990-i-heard-he-has-jd-990.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.m.junior View Post
Just got a JD-990 and love it sooo much!
good aren't they
Old 6th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJB View Post
good aren't they
Oh yes, especially when you start making your own patches - I couldn't believe there's so deep editing options! And it's cool that I can make it sound almost warm analogue (nice filters for a digital synth!) and harsh digital. I feel lucky to have it finally. :-)
Old 26th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Heey i have a m4l jd990 editor if anyone is interested.
Need some help with m4l i cant make it work properly. Apparently some of it work but need to find a way through
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Head

Hi guys, i just got a JD 990 and a Roland A800 Pro midi keyboard and it's not working, when i press the keys, there is no sound, but when i press the volume (preview) knob on the JD it works. Could it be because the A800 is powered via USB and not using the AC adaptor(don,t have one yet) ? I selected midi channel 1 on both the JD and the A800.
Roland US said the keyboard should work with the JD, i'm in Romania and there's no Roland support here...musicstore.de where i bought the keyboard from seems verry busy to offer phone support.
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Hi guys, i just got a JD 990 and a Roland A800 Pro midi keyboard and it's not working, when i press the keys, there is no sound, but when i press the volume (preview) knob on the JD it works. Could it be because the A800 is powered via USB and not using the AC adaptor(don,t have one yet) ? I selected midi channel 1 on both the JD and the A800.
Roland US said the keyboard should work with the JD, i'm in Romania and there's no Roland support here...musicstore.de where i bought the keyboard from seems verry busy to offer phone support.
I imagine you are just connecting the midi directly from controller to JD?

I have the 300 and doing it this way it doesn't seem to send the data(via midi) when powered by usb, however using an ac adapter it works fine. There most be some protocol that changes usb over midi (probably a setting that cab be changed) i think when usb power is on. I use it with a DAW so I just use the usb cable.

edit Roland PSB 120 is the power adapter you want if going that route.

Last edited by JayGried; 21st March 2016 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: added
Old 21st March 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGried View Post
I imagine you are just connecting the midi directly from controller to JD?

I have the 300 and doing it this way it doesn't seem to send the data(via midi) when powered by usb, however using an ac adapter it works fine. There most be some protocol that changes usb over midi (probably a setting that cab be changed) i think when usb power is on. I use it with a DAW so I just use the usb cable.

edit Roland PSB 120 is the power adapter you want if going that route.
Yes, Thanks man for the technical support ! It makes sense, will buy the power adapter, JD sounds Great
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear
Anyone know if the Roland-produced JD-990 data card patches are available in sysex form anywhere?

This was a series of three cards -- JD9D-1, JD9D-2, and JD9D-3 -- that are probably impossible to find anywhere.
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear
Anyone?

I managed to track down the JD9D-1 and am amazed at how good many of them are. A lot like Omnisphere in style but warmer and richer

A few are pretty dated D-50 and M1/01W style marimba-plucked thing string pads, but there are some stellar patches.
Old 11th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gear_up View Post
A few are pretty dated D-50 and M1/01W style marimba-plucked thing string pads, but there are some stellar patches.
Marimba-plucked thing string pads are making a comeback!

Seriously, the JD9D-1 does have that Omnisphere vibe to some of the sounds.
Old 22nd February 2019
Deleted 5072d97
I got a Roland JD-800 a month ago and it's on really great condition, I mean, mint except for a scratch. The thing is, it has had one owner previously and been used very soft, I believe the seller at the store told me that that owner had just played some hobby piano on it but had forgotten about it since a couple of years and now wanted to sell it. The store took it to service but most cleaned it up after seeing it was in do good shape...

So what I'm wondering is should I do something proactive and try to service it for the red glue of death and other common problems even though it seems fine?
Do I gain anything by being proactive instead of a just taking care of it when it happens? Would really apprichiate to know what you think about this. Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2019
Lives for gear

maybe it would respond to a catalyst solution to make it harden more.
i think epoxy uses peroxide as a hardener - but i'm no chemist.
here they talk about just dismantling it all and using sodium hydoxide to
clean all the keys - seems like a bit of a mission, but will be necessary
eventually, especially if it's exposed to warmth.
Old 22nd February 2019
Deleted 5072d97
Hmm.. Yeah seems like it might not be that much more expensive / much more work to just hope I'll be safe from it..

The store left me a 6 month warranty so if it happens before that they promised to handle it but we will see what happens I guess.
Thanks for contributing!
Old 27th April 2019
Deleted 5072d97
Guess this JD-800-thread is where I should turn.

When I have my JD-800 set to maximum volume (master volume fader all turned up) my interface's meters are showing me that it outputs -27 db (it's loudest parts) while my Juno 106 are outputting the same volume when it's master volume knob is set to HALF.

Is this normal and common? Is there something I'm missing, can it be solved if it becomes a real problem (right now I can just use my interface's gain to get it at a level that match my other instruments).

Thanks, really appreciate help on this and I hope it's okay that I use this thread instead of creating a new one.
Old 27th April 2019
Gear Addict

No cloud of the 800/990 or boutiques on the horizon now seems to be the time ?
📝 Reply