The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone still using Atari for sequencing? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Anyone still using Atari for sequencing?

Just out of interest, any of you slutz still using ye old Atari for sequencing?
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

I have a Mega ST2 sitting around. I'm not using it at the moment, but i have one =o]
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

I bought an atari to check it out. I just hated the clunkines. Everything was clunky back then
Old 13th June 2008
JDN
Lives for gear

i sold my 1040st years ago, had and loved smpte track at the time..but i'm sure i'm looking at the past with rose colored glasses and it probably isn't as flexible as i remember. been toying with the idea of getting one just for fun...other than the great midi timing, can't imagine it being a better work flow
Old 13th June 2008
Gear maniac

No, but I should since I'm sick to death with the latency I get from my PC running Cubase SX3, its all over the place.
Old 13th June 2008
JDN
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasp View Post
No, but I should since I'm sick to death with the latency I get from my PC running Cubase SX3, its all over the place.
I always here people talking about timing of Atari vs what we use today...my only question is, you realize an atari is just midi sequencing, no softsynths, no audio, etc...if you really used cubase/PT/Logic in this fasion, would you still have the same latency issues...i'm not sure...just asking, cause i've NEVER tried it
Old 13th June 2008
Gear maniac

Well, if you take a look at this image ov the atari, you'll notice that it uses midi has its proprietary interface.

Old 13th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Amiga!

w00t.
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

We do, 1040 with 3 mb ram unitor 2 and Notator sl.We also have 4 backup atari.1 scsi workdrive 40 mb and 1, 40 mb scsi cardrige backup system.
Old 13th June 2008
Gear Head

I havent used my atari for midi in ages (repalced with MPC3000), but it has great midi and with Creator is a winner !
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

I thought that this thread would stir up a mixed bag of love and hate for the Atari, not to mention some heart warming nostalgia.
Even though I have a PC with Cubase SX and assorted plug-ins such as Reason, Battery, Waves etc, I still have my beloved Atari permanently set up in my studio along with hardware sequencers like that of my Emu SP12. I still find that when im working on projects that are primarily MIDI based and im sequencing samples, drum breaks etc the Atari just cant be beaten for its timing and groove. IMO the only other alternatives that can offer the same kinda performance are the Akai MPC's and EMU SP's but obviously this depends on the type of music your working on and your own personal programing style. Something about those Ataris just seem to lock those grooves in tight and make the beats thump.
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Oh man. This does bring back memories! I have an old Atari in one of my storage cupboards that I should dig out and use. I remember the timing on that thing being amazing, and it does inpart this "groove" thats pretty evident in whatever it is your working on. Thanks!!!

alexP
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

I didn’t own an Atari when they first came out, but after reading, asking q’s, loving the score editor etc. I’ve decided that I will end up sequencing/arranging on one. I plan to stripe a track in logic with SMPTE then route the audio smpte signal and slave the Atari to the smpte track. I also plan on using SMPTE tracker. Found out about this setup from reading threads where people complained about latency, and everyone who locked an Atari or other midi device to a smpte track posted back that it was a good fix.
Here is a link to one of my threads where I ask about the timing myths etc, if your interested in Atari sequencing and have never used one check it out. Sound On Sound Forum Sound on Sound Forum has an Atari subsection forum.

I got a 4 mb Atari ST with a CF card for a harddrive. This thing is completely silent, and quick. I use a normal ps2/usb mouse, and a normal VGA monitor with it as well. I eventually plan to rack the Atari using a kit from à KeyChange Music Services Homepage sells the mouse vga adapter and a kit to rack the Atari. I got my Atari st with the cf card from him as well, super easy to deal with.

I also have an Atari Mega STE with the internal HD, 16 and 8 mghz cpu’s etc, but it has an internal fan which is too noisey, and too difficult to replace, which is why I got the st from barry at keychange. If you’re interested I’m willing to sell the mega ste (just put a new floppy drive in it because the old one was broken)

My Atari rig isn’t quite done I still have to pick up a Unitor 2, buy midiplexer, rack the Atari, but it will be soon. If you need to find dongles I suggest going to ebay.de I see Atari, Notator stuff up there all the time. Only problem is they typically don’t ship to USA (won a bid and the guy didn’t ship and I had an address within germany for him to ship it to then had to deal with ebay about the fees)

If you like dealing with sheet music / score notation then you will probably love notator. Program based arranging with sheet music layout !!!
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

I started in the dino ages. I loved the Atari, I had 2 of them, 1040 STE´s with its maximum of 4 mb of RAM (An awfull lot at that time!!) I used Cubase and Midex + and an external HD and floppy discs... so many!!!
Today I keep them in boxes with the original monitors (SM124??), the HD and all the back up floppys..DD floppys..

If I only had time, I would like to go back in time and recreate the Atari age and connect all my MIDI gear to it again.. I had it synced to a Tascam Porta 2 with SMPTE and later to an 8 track Fostex 1/4" tape recorder.
At that time I felt I could do just everything with it..
Today, almost 2 decades later.. well.. a loooot happened in the gear bizz....and in my studio..
I wonder what will come next.
Old 14th June 2008
Lives for gear

Pleased to hear that there are some peeps out there that still have their beloved Ataris up and running. Also pleased to hear so many non Atari users having such fond memories of the machine.

Quote:
Here is a link to one of my threads where I ask about the timing myths etc, if your interested in Atari sequencing and have never used one check it out. Sound On Sound Forum Sound on Sound Forum has an Atari subsection forum.
Hi rokuez. I checked out your link to the Sound on Sound forum and realised that i have previously read that thread, real good stuff.

I use my Atari for sequencing MIDI then if need be, sync that up to my PC in order to record audio and use the plug-ins etc. Best of both worlds in my humble opinion.

One question i do have though. Should i ever want to transfer my MIDI sequences from Atari to PC (maybe to take to a different studio), any suggestions on the best method on converting the files. When the PC was running Windows this was quite simple but with XP this seems to be a different matter altogether.
Old 14th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
I use my Atari for sequencing MIDI then if need be, sync that up to my PC in order to record audio and use the plug-ins etc. Best of both worlds in my humble opinion.

One question i do have though. Should i ever want to transfer my MIDI sequences from Atari to PC (maybe to take to a different studio), any suggestions on the best method on converting the files. When the PC was running Windows this was quite simple but with XP this seems to be a different matter altogether.
i'm not really sure i guess search on sound on sound forum, the other atari forums , notator usenet archive or make a new thread on one of those forums, someone knows how.
Old 15th June 2008
i did the transfering yers ago, and IIRC you have to format the floppy on your PC, for DOS, and atari can read/write Standard MIDI File. other than that PCs dont read ataris format and vice versa. but SMF on a DOS floppy disk is readable to both.

early ataris were 720k drives only, so u have to use a DD floppy media, or put a piece of scotch tape on that hole on a HD (1.44), and format it to 720k.

@rokuez: man, you really bombarded them with questions over on that forum.. heh .. its cool that they really went all the way to help you. very helful thread indeed -

i'm considering the ATARI plus SMPTE striping setup to Nuendo DAW, myself. that or RS7000/MPC3000 with SBX80..same scenario. i might hust try it first with ATARI, since its cheaaaaap.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Snide View Post
Amiga!

w00t.

+1 Hell Yeah!

Started out on an Amiga 500 running SoundScape Pro Midi studio! Tascam 38 sync'd via MTC/Smart FSK with a JL Cooper PPS-1 for 7 audio tracks. Dem were da days!
Old 16th June 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post

You'll find a good thread on this in the S.O.S. forum as well.

Sound On Sound Forum

I used a programme called GEMXPLOR, which allowed me to drag & drop those old TOS formatted ( STFM ) ones into Win XP.
If you have an STE machine it's even easier.

Lyn
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

My Atari was stolen in 1992 with all my software and all the music I'd done for the previous
5-6 years, hard disk drives, floppies, the lot.

It broke my heart so much I stopped playing music for 10 years. As such, it killed my
career and now I am just a hopeless amateur.

The thieves didn't take all my analogues, which was good and they left the dongles
for all my software so that was pretty stupid.

I had no insurance (I was an unemployed musician, don't forget) and no way to start
again and it was only in 2001 I started again, but it has not been the same,
in spite of the Mac and Logic and so on. I still miss my Atari and wish someone would
release some sort of music computer along the same concept but not a PC.

rachel
Old 16th June 2008
Gear nut

I started out in the sequencing world with a Roland MC500. At 96ppqn that was quite tight as well.

I used this quite happily from 1987 or so and remember the first Atari users with
Pro 24. However, I wasn't convinced until Cubase came along, but then decided to switch.

Stayed with that set-up until '97 or so quite happily using a Midex+ until the PC beckoned.

Now using SX with a Midex8 and 2 midi outs from an Emu 1616m

If only there were more midi outs available for the Atari ...
Old 16th June 2008
Deleted User #43636
I 've used a mega STE with cubase 3.01 from1997 to 2005. Best 'pure midi' sequencer ever.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddigger1 View Post
I 've used a mega STE with cubase 3.01 from1997 to 2005. Best 'pure midi' sequencer ever.
+1

thumbsup
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Good lord, look what ive started!
Thanks for all the posts, keep em coming.

Just outta interest, does any one know of any notable artists/producers that are still using the Atari in their studio? I know that Norman Cook (AKA Fatboy Slim) was known for using one up until recently (not too sure if he still is?) and alot of hip-hop artists here in the UK such as DJ Format, Lewis Parker, Jehst are still knocking out beats on them.
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJohn View Post
+1 Hell Yeah!

Started out on an Amiga 500 running SoundScape Pro Midi studio! Tascam 38 sync'd via MTC/Smart FSK with a JL Cooper PPS-1 for 7 audio tracks. Dem were da days!
SoundScape midi studio? Never ran across that but Protracker and Bars & pipes
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Linn/forat 9000
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Notator 3.21 on a 1040STé with 4mb Ram and 30mb Hard-drive. There is no alternative.

Fully speced with

Unitor N/2
Export
Log 3
Combiner
Human Touch
Steady Eye

WT
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

just asked myself where is LARS -the atari master ( ppg master) heh
Old 17th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Old 17th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lento View Post
You'll find a good thread on this in the S.O.S. forum as well.

Sound On Sound Forum

I used a programme called GEMXPLOR, which allowed me to drag & drop those old TOS formatted ( STFM ) ones into Win XP.
If you have an STE machine it's even easier.

Lyn
Thanks for this info. I shall download GEMXPLOR and give that a go. Does it def work on XP?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search