The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
V-Synth GT Sound Examples and Basics Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

V-Synth GT Sound Examples and Basics ADDED Vocal Designer

Hello fellow Slutz!

I just wanted to post some sound examples of the V-Synth GT and some explanation of some of its basic features.

The reason for this is because I read a lot of post about the GT and many people are not quite sure what it is. Some think it’s just sample-based synthesizer others think that it’s just for making weird noises. Or some people have played one before and were not sure what it was doing and decided they didn’t care for it.

So, Here are the Basics

Oscillators
There are 3 types of Oscillators and they are:
Analog Modeling
PCM (sample with variphrase)
External Input.

First we’ll start off with the Analog Modeling Oscillator.

There are 14 Analog Modeled Waveforms and they are:

Saw
Square
Triangle
Sine
Ramp
Juno (modeled after the Juno106)
HQ Saw (High quality saw waveform, less aliasing in the hi-end)
HQ Square (Same goes for this waveform)
Noise
LA-Saw (This the Saw wave from the D-50)
LA-Square (Square wave from the D-50)
Super Saw (From the JP-8000)
Feedback (From the JP-8000)
X-Mod (This is like an FM Oscillator also from the JP-8000)

Here are 4 examples of the analog modeling ONLY.

This is a Super Saw Pad.

Super Saw

X-Mod texture

X Mod

Bass Line

Bass Line

Jupiter 6 Emulation

JP-6 Arp

Now the PCM Oscillator.

The PCM Oscillator is basically the VP-9000. Google VP-9000 to get more info, too much for this post

The V-Synth GT incorporates what Roland calls “Elastic Audio Synthesis” Basically you can really twist sound around and create some great vocal tweaks and drum tweaks.

Here are two drum loops synced using the Tempo Sync function.
You’ll hear one drum loop freeze and go backwards then drop right back into sync with the other drum loop. This feature is called “Beat Keep” It’s great for twisting beats up in time.

Drum Loop

Next, is a Side Band filter on the 1st loop and a Lo-Pass filter on the 2nd loop with some “Time Trip tweaks!

Drum Loop 2

Next is just a vocal sample. If you are familiar with Melodyne it is similar to that but in a keyboard.

Vocal

We could go on for years with this heh

Next is External Input Oscillator.

This one is very cool. Think of this as an External Synthesizer input.
I often take my Elektron MonoMachine and plug its outputs to the analog inputs of the V-Synth GT. Then take the Midi “out” of the V-Synth to the Midi “In” of the Monomachine. So when I play the V-Synth I trigger the Monomachine.

Now I can use the MonoMachine as an Oscillator! I can run it through the V-Synth’s filters, through the MOD matrix, the Envelopes, and the Effects!

But the latest thing I have discovered is using the USB and the External input!

Now I run NI’s MASSIVE in “stand alone mode” and in its audio/midi set-up I select the V-Synth GT as it’s output! I should probably mention that the V-Synth GT is a USB audio and Mdi interface….

Then I select the External Oscillator and use the USB and it’s input! Now I have MASSIVE as a single oscillator SWEET!!!!

Here is MASSIVE as Osc 1 and the V-Synth on Osc 2. The rest of the filters and the effects are handled by the V-Synth. This is just a simple pad but very rich in harmonics!

Massive and V-Synth

Modulation Matrix

After the 2 Oscillators you have the Modulation Matrix. These are:
Mix (just a plain mix of both oscillators)
Ring Modulation
FM
Envelope Ring Mod
Oscillator Sync

The Filters

The Filters are based on Roland’s COSM technology and they offer some great sound shaping tools. Here is the list of filters:

OD/DS Boss Pedals
Wave Shaper w/ 6 different waves
Amp Filter with 3 types of amplifiers
Speaker Cabinets w 12 different types
Resonator w 3 different types
Side-Band filter 1
Side Band filter 2
Comb filter
Dual Filter
Standard Multi-Mode filter with HP/LP/Band and Notch
Dynamic Multi-Mode filter
Compressor
Limiter
Frequency Shifter
Lo-Fi Processor
TB this is modeled after the TB-303 filter.

You can have two filters running in a single Tone!

Now take all of this and multiply by 2.

You can have 2 tones running simultaneously a.k.a. Upper and Lower.

That's the basics of the GT and I haven’t even brought up Vocal Designer!
That’s a whole new post!

I will agree that the factory presets don’t really show off the full power of the V-Synth GT but at the same time it’s not a preset synth. If you are looking for a synth to really get into and make some great new sounds, I think you true synth freaks should take a closer look at it.

I know a lot of you guys are looking for new insperation and there are some great synthesizers out there but I know there is not another hardware synth like the V-Synth GT.

But that’s just my opinion.

One last one!

Space Fields
Old 12th May 2008
Lives for gear

Thank you Jim! Sounds Massive!! This is defenitely the next synth im getting!
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Jim - thank you - great examples

I, too, noticed that many people don't seem to "get" the V-Synth -

Truly unfortunate - I think the V-Synth is one of the most powerful sound creation tools available. And the user interface is a dream!

I haven't had a chance to try the GT yet, but I've had the original V-Synth for a few months and adore it - probably my favorite synth at the moment.

Judging from our superb demos, they must have improved the sound and the fx on the GT because it sounds huge stike
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks.

I should point out how I recorded these sound files.

I used the balanced analog outs of the V-Synth GT into my MOTU 896 with the BLA mod and a their microclock.

I recorded it at 24bit/44.1 then converted it to 192kbps mp3.

That's it.

The V-Synth GT has 24bit/96k converters so it sounds a little smoother than the orginal V.
Old 13th May 2008
Gear maniac

Great examples.

Question: can you do everything you mentioned on the original VSynth?
im particularly interested in USB audio
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs View Post
Great examples.

Question: can you do everything you mentioned on the original VSynth?
im particularly interested in USB audio
You can do everything except the USB audio. Murphy's Law!
The V-Synth GT is like having two V-Synths in one.

The original V is still a very powerful synth! I think you can get them cheap eBay now.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Jim, are the drums from the GT or the elektron?
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post
You can do everything except the USB audio. Murphy's Law!
The V-Synth GT is like having two V-Synths in one.

The original V is still a very powerful synth! I think you can get them cheap eBay now.
Now I'm jealous, hehe. I'd say I play 80-90% of my leads live with my v-synth. I'll have to "get by" with my original *sigh*.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by n***N View Post
Jim, are the drums from the GT or the elektron?
Those are just from a sample library.

The only external sound is from NIs Massive softsynth. That's it.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Those are just from a sample library.

The only external sound is from NIs Massive softsynth. That's it.
WOW. So you can import samples into the GT??

Can you describe the process of importing samples?
Old 13th May 2008
Gear maniac

Way to let the cat out of the bag Jim heh

I was wondering when you would show up on the Insane vocal post.

It seems like some people just want to hate it because they only compare it to other VA's. I say let them hate and I will stay busy creating with it.

Cheers, Rob
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yes, you can import .wav and .aiff sounds into the V-Synth.
There is an import function on the Librarian that make like easier when keeping all of your sounds organized.

You can also sample sounds from the Analog-in, digital-in and from USB.

I use the USB sampling most of the time. It's just faster for how I work.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent1 View Post
Way to let the cat out of the bag Jim heh

I was wondering when you would show up on the Insane vocal post.

It seems like some people just want to hate it because they only compare it to other VA's. I say let them hate and I will stay busy creating with it.

Cheers, Rob

I know, everybody talks about the Virus Ti. Don't get me wrong, the Ti is a great synth!

I'm not bashing it at all tutt. I would like one myself!

I'm just pointing out the the VA part of the V-Synth is the real deal too.

The first 4 examples are a single tone patches on the GT running the VA engine!
I think they sound awesome!

I think it's funny that people say "the JP-8000 was the last great synth that Roland made"

The V-Synth has all of the sound potential of the classic JP-8000 plus, all of the sample manipulation of the VP-9000.thumbsup

I'll post more tomorrow on the vocal designer!
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for writing it up. I couldn't hear anything on the bassline sample, though. Just to let you know. I have to say, it seems strangely fascinating.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Can you please explain patch and performance structure? And how it works multitimbral from a sequencer? This is my main confusion on it!
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Can you please explain patch and performance structure? And how it works multitimbral from a sequencer? This is my main confusion on it!
The V-Synth GT is not multitimbral. There is no Performance structure.

I track everything in as audio.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

I added some Vocal Designer examples.

There is the Dry Vocal and 3 Processed examples

Vocal Designer
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The V-Synth GT is not multitimbral. There is no Performance structure.

I track everything in as audio.
Roland V-Synth series Frequently Asked Questions

This link states:

"1.4 Is the V-Synth multitimbral?

Yes, you can assign individual patches to all 16 MIDI channels and simultaneously control them from any external MIDI device. Despite that the V-Synth itself can play only one channel, if you set several parts to one channel, they will be played simultaneously (layered)."

A little confusing because I get so many different answers revolving around this!
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Vsynth XT had zipper issues--are those gone with the GT?

I agree, I like the XT alot. It's a secret weapon I feel.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Roland V-Synth series Frequently Asked Questions

This link states:

"1.4 Is the V-Synth multitimbral?

Yes, you can assign individual patches to all 16 MIDI channels and simultaneously control them from any external MIDI device. Despite that the V-Synth itself can play only one channel, if you set several parts to one channel, they will be played simultaneously (layered)."

A little confusing because I get so many different answers revolving around this!
That was the original V-Synth. It had a "kind of" multitimbral operation.

There was no way to route the other patches through different effects so all other patches played through the effects of the "selected patch"

Plus there is not enough DSP to get more that 3 patches going at the same time.

There is no way to save those set-up that you do create!

I think Roland wanted to make it multitimbral but they didn't have the DSP to do it right.

Roland completely took out the page on the V-Synth GT. It caused more confusion than anything.

Just record the part via MIDI then when you get it the way you want it, then record it to an audio track.

That is far more productive than try to deal with a 1/2 done multitimbral set-up.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

So if I bought a GT and used it live and ran the singers vocals through it the whole show, that would lock out the V-Synth for any other uses like samples or synth sounds?

You can't have half the keys playing the vocal input and the other half playing a synth sound? I am surprised such an expensive digital synth has such basic limitations. I mean the crappy newer Roland Juno can layer, split and load several sounds at once. So can the JP8000.

Oh well if this is true I will just wait for Roland to get the V-Synth in better condition for it's price!

I have seen videos of people singing into the V-Synth while playing back a drum loop. This would require two parts? Or does it use 1 patch - 1 osc for sampler and 1 osc for vocal input? Could you at least have 2 osc for synth and 1 osc for vocal? If so, can you assign diff osc different midi channels?
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
So if I bought a GT and used it live and ran the singers vocals through it the whole show, that would lock out the V-Synth for any other uses like samples or synth sounds?

You can't have half the keys playing the vocal input and the other half playing a synth sound? I am surprised such an expensive digital synth has such basic limitations. I mean the crappy newer Roland Juno can layer, split and load several sounds at once. So can the JP8000.

Oh well if this is true I will just wait for Roland to get the V-Synth in better condition for it's price!

I have seen videos of people singing into the V-Synth while playing back a drum loop. This would require two parts? Or does it use 1 osc for sampler and 1 osc for vocal input? Could you at least have 2 osc for synth and 1 osc for vocal? If so, can you assign diff osc different midi channels?
NO, I never said that!

The V-Synth GT can have vocal designer and the V-Synth sounds going at the same time.

You can have Vocal designer on the Upper Tone and any other sound you want on the Lower Tone.

The GT is like having 2 of the original V-Synths at the same time.

The "crappy" junos are just romplers. They serve a purpose for a certain market.
They are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!

So on the basic note the GT is Bi-tambral.
Just like the D-50, JP-8000, Jupiter 6 & 8 etc.

The V is about creating new sounds, not things like piano and organs. but it can still do that
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

Ok I see so you can split two patches across the keys? Each patch has 3 osc right? So a synth patch can have 3 osc of Analog Modeling? Or it could have 2 osc of Analog Modeing and the 3rd could be a PCM or Ext input?

As for violin type sounds where does this fit in terms of Anlog Modeling, PCM, Ext Input?

Thanks for the information I have owned over 20 digital synths and this one is quiet different. I wish a local shop had one to play with then it would make more sense to me

I guess when you compare the DSP of my Virus Ti which can run 16 sounds each with it's own fx to the V-Synth, the V-Synth looks a little weak. Even though some of the V-Synth operations are more dsp consuming (elastic audio), not using this function does not free up dsp anywhere else.
Old 13th May 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the information I have owned over 20 digital synths and this one is quiet different. I wish a local shop had one to play with then it would make more sense to me

I guess when you compare the DSP of my Virus Ti which can run 16 sounds each with it's own fx to the V-Synth, the V-Synth looks a little weak. Even though some of the V-Synth operations are more dsp consuming (elastic audio), not using this function does not free up dsp anywhere else.
You really should try to demo one if you can.

I can not speak about the GT but the ease of sound creation in regards to the architecture all laid out on the touchscreen gets a big thumbs up also.

I own a TI and a V-synth and the TI ends up being the bread and butter type sounds where as the V can end up being the real attention grabber.

It does seem a bit weak compared to the TI but the Virus is a pretty damn powerful machine, also what the V does it does extremely well.
Old 13th May 2008
Lives for gear

One other thing.

If any of you guys have V-Synth GTs.... PM me and I'll send you a bunch of new patches for it!

Let's just say my own special blend
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

Hmm--I have wondered this as well. The vsynth xt is rackable fyi, but difficult to midi.

maybe try posting a screen cap of patch settings (ouch) & a midi and maybe a comparison could be made?
Old 14th May 2008
Lives for gear

Here are some Feedback Oscillator examples.

I put 4 examples in this one mp3 Feedback Osc

1. a single feedback wave
2. A pad sound using 2 Feedback waves on a single Upper Tone
3. Single Tone Feedback with COSM TB filter and an amp effect
4. Bass line with 2 feedback Oscillators and COSM Lo-Fi and tweaks

Let me know if you want to hear anything else!
Old 15th May 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks for the examples. I'm thinking about getting the studio electronics code 4 with overdrive. I really want the real deal analogue but have to say this is tempting.

I'm curious about the dry vocal with amber. What is the vocal chain you are using for her, and is the verb on her "dry" vocal from the gt?
Old 15th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandak View Post
Thanks for the examples. I'm thinking about getting the studio electronics code 4 with overdrive. I really want the real deal analogue but have to say this is tempting.

I'm curious about the dry vocal with amber. What is the vocal chain you are using for her, and is the verb on her "dry" vocal from the gt?
I don't know about the vocal. It's just some acapella I had from an old remix.
Old 23rd May 2008
Lives for gear

bump

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search