The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The best vocoder? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 29th March 2008
  #1
Gear Head
 

The best vocoder?

Hello guys, i want to work with a hardware vocoder, wich one?
Thanks!
Old 29th March 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
I have always loved working with the Roland VP 330. They sound amazing. Check some sounds here.
Roland VP330 - Wikizic

Do you want it for vocoding voices,or for use as an effect? Because for effects, you cant go wrong with the Paia one. And its dirt cheap. 200 dollars with the panel. PAiA - Vocoder - Studio Series


Best of luck!

alexP
Old 29th March 2008
  #3
Lives for gear
 

The best? ems 5000. Cost as much as a down payment on a house though
Old 29th March 2008
  #4
Gear Head
 

My idea is work in Kraftwerk-style for voices, but the effect in others sources is amazing!
Paia is an interesting option and cheap, EMS is a dream!
Old 29th March 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

What you need then is the Doepfer Modular Vocoder - which was co-designed by Kraftwerk. More flexible than anything in that price range and fully expandable/cross patchable too. I've used time and time again on all sorts of prokjects

Check out the 'Used' section over at Analoguehaven.com - they have a maxed out Doepfer Vocoder system in a rack for very much less than the list price !

Beer
Old 29th March 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
elektrovolt's Avatar
Sennheiser VSM-201, EMS 5000, Roland VP-330 / SVC-350

the Sennheiser has that special sound... fantastic !
Old 29th March 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
OurDarkness's Avatar
 

EMS Vocoder 5000.
Old 29th March 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Beermaster's Avatar
 

Senheiser and the EMS5000 are certainly all time classics... if you can get hold of them.... at the price ! !

Neither of them give you the open ended style that the Doepfer Vocoder has tho ! - You can't cross patch/slew, attenuate, gate/switch.etc etc Each and Every Band from the Analysis section to any of the Bands of the Synthesis section on the Senheiser nor the EMS. Only the Doepfer has that level of flexibility.

Beer
Old 29th March 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
alexp's Avatar
If were talking older vocoders, the Bode is the tits. Its pretty amazing.



Old 29th March 2008
  #10
ddp
Gear addict
 
ddp's Avatar
 

I don't mean to side track but what is relationship between talk boxes and vocoders?

They are different beasts right?

Vocoder in "Mr Roboto" and Talk Box in "Living on a prayer"

Gosh I hate those songs but love those gadgets!!
Old 29th March 2008
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

when on a budget the Nord micromodular and korg microkorg are both surprisingly good-sounding vocoders!

Olaf
Old 29th March 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
elektrovolt's Avatar
hee, een nederlander :D

yep, the clavia (micro)modular is actually a very good allround vocoder.
the one I use the most
Old 29th March 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 

well, Im not really one into straight up vocoding, but Aphex Twin has been doing neat things with vocoders lately. He in enhances bass tracks and other instruments in his songs with very subtle vocoded sounds. So you'll hear weird pitch bends and things under the melodies.
Old 30th March 2008
  #14
Gear Head
 

Thanks guys for your ideas. I looking a Roland Variprhase VP9000, it´s true Daft Punk use it a lot in Discovery for voices? If anyone have one or use one please tell me how good is this unit.
Thanks!
Old 30th March 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
jbuehler's Avatar
 

Ensoniq DP4+ is used a lot by Daft Punk.

Electrix Warp Factory is a good one too.

Both are fairly cheap and useful for MANY applications.
Old 30th March 2008
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
malgfunk's Avatar
 

Roland V-Synth XT. The textures are amazing. Plus it just a great synth!
Old 30th March 2008
  #17
Lives for gear
 

the VP-330 is considered the best sounding within the range of affordability
Old 30th March 2008
  #18
Gear interested
 

vp9000 is cool for some interesting digital type effects. if your looking for an elastic type time stretching id go with abelton live. vp9000 was way ahead of its time but the effects and features can be found in other hardware/software. I owned the vp9000 for a month and then dumped it to get a v synth.The V-synth/xt is an excellent option. The used prices for the vc-2 vocal card has gotten totally insane. Your better of getting the rackmount xt version which has the vc-2 vocal card and d50 card right out of the box. The new roland vp-550? i think is a new vocal keyboard which takes elements from the vc-2 card. Its almost knobless and was targeted towards people of warship and vocalist looking for vocal doubles and such. If your looking for vocoding tweaking fun stay away from the new vocal keyboard from roland.tutt
Old 31st March 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
jonnypowell's Avatar
 

All the Nord Modulars are amazing vocoders. They can be very thick...
Old 31st March 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
rachel's Avatar
I have a VP-330. It is a large white elephant in my studio compared to other gear,
but I love it. I will always find a space for it in my studio, even if I don't use it much as a
vocoder - I love the strings and vox-humana tones on it. It is the most ethereal
sound in the world, especially when munged through a space echo. The vocoder sounds
better a lot dryer.

I am not a very good singer so I use found sources and chop them
up a bit. I got my VP-330 relatively cheap and won't let it go now, in spite of being
begged by a few people.

The vocoder sound is not necessarily cliche, it is how you
use it - if it not done in such a way as to be predictable or repeated much in a track,
the effect is very sublime.

Also, the VP-330 forces you to play the keyboard quite differently
to other keys. It is a paraphonic device and all the voices go through a single VCA/envelope
and releasing all the keys resets the envelope so you get a weird cutoff that is not neccessarily
very nice, so you learn to play with one key down all the time, unless you really want to
retrigger it.


rachel
Old 31st March 2008
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Meriphew's Avatar
 

Anyone know if Electrix is actually going to release the version 2 Warp Factory?
Old 1st April 2008
  #22
ddp
Gear addict
 
ddp's Avatar
 

Hey guys,

What about vocoder plugins?

Are there any good ones?
Old 1st April 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
waveterm's Avatar
 

Where is...............









































VOCODERMAN when you need him ?

WT
Old 2nd April 2008
  #24
Lives for gear
 
jonnypowell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel View Post
I have a VP-330. It is a large white elephant in my studio compared to other gear,
but I love it. I will always find a space for it in my studio, even if I don't use it much as a
vocoder - I love the strings and vox-humana tones on it. It is the most ethereal
sound in the world, especially when munged through a space echo. The vocoder sounds
better a lot dryer.

I am not a very good singer so I use found sources and chop them
up a bit. I got my VP-330 relatively cheap and won't let it go now, in spite of being
begged by a few people.

The vocoder sound is not necessarily cliche, it is how you
use it - if it not done in such a way as to be predictable or repeated much in a track,
the effect is very sublime.

Also, the VP-330 forces you to play the keyboard quite differently
to other keys. It is a paraphonic device and all the voices go through a single VCA/envelope
and releasing all the keys resets the envelope so you get a weird cutoff that is not neccessarily
very nice, so you learn to play with one key down all the time, unless you really want to
retrigger it.


rachel
Do you have any examples of the VP-330 we can hear?
Old 3rd April 2008
  #25
Gear interested
 
JETkoten's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
I have always loved working with the Roland VP 330. They sound amazing. Check some sounds here.
Roland VP330 - Wikizic

Do you want it for vocoding voices,or for use as an effect? Because for effects, you cant go wrong with the Paia one. And its dirt cheap. 200 dollars with the panel. PAiA - Vocoder - Studio Series


Best of luck!

alexP
If you're not using it for voice... and using it for effects, do you mean like running drums through it or something like that?

About the Paia, anyone built one? Is it doable for a relative beginner to electronics? How about the mod that is listed there... does that make it better for voice?

Is the Paia all that bad for voice? Anyone have one? I listened to the examples on their website and it didn't sound too bad... especially for the price!

Any other analog vocoders out there that are sub $300? Looking for an affordable analog vocoder with good sound for voice. Grateful for any input...

JET
Old 3rd April 2008
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Dave Peck's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETkoten View Post
Any other analog vocoders out there that are sub $300? Looking for an affordable analog vocoder with good sound for voice. Grateful for any input...

JET

Not analog, but you can get a used Nord MicroModular for less than that, and it will give you a vocoder AND a synth to run through it, plus a lot more. Like so:
Attached Thumbnails
The best vocoder?-vocoder.jpg  
Old 4th April 2008
  #27
Gear interested
 
JETkoten's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Peck View Post
Not analog, but you can get a used Nord MicroModular for less than that, and it will give you a vocoder AND a synth to run through it, plus a lot more. Like so:
Thanks Dave, I didn't know about that synth. I'm not usually a fan of virtual analog... but that series looks great for learning about modular synths and that's something I'd very much like to do. I might try to look for one but from my quick search just now it looks like I'd have to be pretty lucky to find a Micro Modular under $300...

Also, I use a Mac and on Clavia's page it says you need Mac OS 8.6. I know when Mac OS X first came out it came with the 'Classic' emulator but I don't know if it still has that feature, and I think it emulated System 9, not 8.* Anyone running the software for the Micro Modular on OS X?

I am still looking for more options on a totally analog vocoder that is affordable though... hoping someone here would both know more about the Paia and know about any other options too?
Old 4th April 2008
  #28
Lives for gear
 
superjc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETkoten View Post
If you're not using it for voice... and using it for effects, do you mean like running drums through it or something like that?

About the Paia, anyone built one? Is it doable for a relative beginner to electronics? How about the mod that is listed there... does that make it better for voice?

Is the Paia all that bad for voice? Anyone have one? I listened to the examples on their website and it didn't sound too bad... especially for the price!

Any other analog vocoders out there that are sub $300? Looking for an affordable analog vocoder with good sound for voice. Grateful for any input...

JET
I built the PAIA in about 1995 when it was 99 dollars. Had my high school electronics teacher help me, I doubt I would have done it right by myself. It's very capable of robotic intellible sounds. Back then my knowledge of EQ ing was limited, couldnt figure out why it sounded GREAT when I left it on my answering machine message (EQ curve was for speech, of course!!) Also I only fed it crap from a roland TB303, later when I had the VF11 I plugged a Pro-1 into and wow what a difference.... you may find one built already.


Also, on my myspace page, at the end of "Hunger For The Flesh" that's the now discontinued TC Powercore D-Coder
Old 4th April 2008
  #29
Gear interested
 
JETkoten's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc View Post
I built the PAIA in about 1995 when it was 99 dollars. Had my high school electronics teacher help me, I doubt I would have done it right by myself. It's very capable of robotic intellible sounds. Back then my knowledge of EQ ing was limited, couldnt figure out why it sounded GREAT when I left it on my answering machine message (EQ curve was for speech, of course!!) Also I only fed it crap from a roland TB303, later when I had the VF11 I plugged a Pro-1 into and wow what a difference.... you may find one built already.


Also, on my myspace page, at the end of "Hunger For The Flesh" that's the now discontinued TC Powercore D-Coder
Ahh the VF-11, lucky you. Between my earlier post and reading yours I went out on the web to do some more looking for vocoders and found out about the MAM VF-11. That's precisely what I'm looking for.

Although, when I try to load the company's web page there is nothing. I'm guessing they went out of business? Very sad, I imagine that would be hard to find/expensive on this side of the pond. At least I know what I'm looking for now and can try to keep my eyes open for one.
Old 7th April 2008
  #30
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddp View Post
Hey guys,

What about vocoder plugins?

Are there any good ones?
Native Instruments has an ok one...

Orange Vocoder is probably your best bet...

Still, HARDWARE!!!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
lukebriwalker / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
126
rtprods / So much gear, so little time
45
onkloud9 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
Julien Apruzzese / High end
17
frist44 / Music Computers
8

Forum Jump
Forum Jump