The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Korg RADIAS or MS2000R?
Old 7th April 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Can't the radias play ms2000 patches? Not saying it sounds the same, but I kinda thought it would sound pretty close.

Also,isn't the microkorg the ms2000 lite, but with some different wave forms here and there, so audio quality should be equivalent? ms2000r love and microkorg hate i don't get that. I get lubbing the ms2000r over the microkorg, damn tiny keys.

If korg comes out with another tribe, they need to work on quantization. I don't know if its a setting i've forgotten, but jesus crimminy my notes are all over the place. Also, more then 8 bars per pattern. What the world really needs is this interface
http://www.d16.pl/images/drumazon/dr...-persp-big.jpg

w/the ability to assign a sample and/or va engine to each inst slot.
Old 12th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The problem with the idiots out there that are talking down about the Oasys is that have no idea of how to program a sound and are non creative minded souls, because they are poor minded and cannot afford this board.

Oasys was made for Liveperformance, only Liveperformance can say about the real power of a System and in this area no Softsynths(VST) or other
VA can reach the quality of this board. There is no VST Plugin that bring
the same cool Sounds of the AL-1 and the Oasys is 3,5 Years old.

In Combimode you can connect different Programms and Synthengines together to create complexer Sounds , this is possible because it has
a flexible audiorouting , so that you can create 48 DB Filters or run the AL-1 into the Waveshaper of the MOD-7 FM Synth.

Official has it 4 x velocity switching but you can also use Wavesequences to do it better.When you set the velocity to gate you can play samples with 64 x velocity switch.

You can resample Sounds an Drumgrooves before or after the effectblock and use it as a
Modulator for FM or the Plucked String Modell.

You can record knob and slider movements to create motion sequences aka electribes.

With the AMS Mixer you can create KHZ LFO's , is that typical Workstation style??

I think the Oasys is from many people misunderstood. Maybe overpriced ,yes but crap,no!!

There is no perfect synths, because we dont live in a perfect world and everybody of us has
different likes and dislikes.

All the hate propaganda against the Oasys comes from the same sources:

-from other competing companies (soft and hardware builders)

- Kurzweil fanatics

-poor people who didn't have enough money to buy it

To the last point,i respect people when they say "it is too expensive for me" but stop it with the garbage trash.
Old 12th May 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChemical View Post
I tried the Oasys when it first came out. I didn't get to delve very deep into it because it crashed three times in a row on me, so I gave up on it. I haven't seen one in person since, so I can't even respond to if the bugs were fixed.
The actual OS is 1.3.1 and they have fixed all bugs , many crashes comes
not from the Software it comes from false Rammodules , you need identical types from the same manufacture , if you mixed different types,
it can be freezed.
Old 15th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Y'know what's really depressing? Head over to YouTube and try to find some genuinely helpful synth demos. There are some good ones (the Jexus guy from Poland is my favorite), but I'd say about 95% of them are guys with $2000+ synths wailing out crappy Prog Rock cover songs.
Why don't you make some vids? I found my own little niche video section, and it's fun and helps me put my money where my mouth is (on this or any forum). And I have "met" a lot of YouTube friends that share very good discussions on gear we share, or help tip the balance on buying new gear.

Anyway, making that first vid helps put you on a different map.

I've avoided the $2000 synth wailers and found some very interesting performers or players that get the most out of any equipment.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubreak View Post
I think Korg need a radical overhaul. Some new synthesis methods, not just rehashes and spin-offs of the original never released '95 Oasys. Yawn...
Most of the music industry is that way. Most products are refinement of ideas and designs from 20 years ago. 1990 was 20 years ago. When you think about that, that's a long time and much has happened - but even since 1995 there has not been a great deal of innovation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
Their problem is that, like so many others, they're intent on minimum effort for quick, short-term gains. They barely even make synths anymore, save for the MS2000/Radias and a handful of lame workstations, none of which are particularly interesting.
Economics have not been kind to anyone, in particular manufacturers.
A lot of musicians have purchased the cheapest mixer they could.
So the maker of cheap mixers has flourished ... all others are gone now.

Quote:
When FM and sample playback came along and started offering some of that realism, those assholes left analog to die and never looked back.
It was a good time to be buying analog gear though! When the DX7 and Emulator came out, I snapped up analogue gear for rock-bottom prices.

There is new analogue gear out there, most quite good.

Last edited by FlametopFred; 15th March 2011 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: oops
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bottom Line:

Any piece of equipment can suck or soar. You really have to dig deep. The best trick I know is to rent a potential synth, wipe every sound and just work up patches from zero. Factory patches most often sound 'ok' at best and horrible at worst. And I don't like factory patches anyway.

So after a week's rental of rolling my own sounds, I can then pass better judgement on whether the synth is a keeper or not.

The biggest secret with recent virtual synths is simply not going to the extremes of the parameters. The sweet spot is usually in the middle of the sound .. if that makes any sense ..

For example on the Nord gear, the top end of the filter and the bottom end of the filter don't sound good. Get brittle. Fall apart in definition. However, the middle part of the filter is where the nuance can be. Anyway, that's just one example.

What designers of emulation synths miss is the limitations of the old gear.
Limitations always make me more creative.

that's my two bits
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I just bought an MS2000. The eBay seller said they were packing it up and would email me the shipping within an hour. That was 4 days ago. No response to emails. Ground shipping would probably take 5 to 6 days. eBay will not accept any inquiries for 2 more days.
Old 16th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, prices seem to have risen on second-hand MS2000s!!! The last time I priced MS2000s on ebay, which was a few years ago, they were going for under $300. Now they seem to be $300 and up. Correction: I'll take that back because I just looked at the completed listings and did see some people get luck and get the MS2K rack for under $200. I guess the market value just fluctuates.

Anyway, I had a MicroKorg for a short while. I returned it, not because it didn't sound good, but because it felt cheap and the tiny keys were uncomfortable. However, the sound was great and the filter was sweet. Later, I had long considered the MS2000 but decided to wait and get the RADIAS because the RADIAS is not only a synth, but it also has a really nice vocoder. When I first got my RADIAS, I did briefly scan through the presets. However, I wasn't blown away until I started programming the thing. The weird sounds I was able to crank out were absolutely amazing to me!!!! The thing I like about the RADIAS is the nice clean high-end tonal character it has. While basses may not be it's strongest point, it's absolutely perfect for bleeps and blips and sound effects as well as synth leads and pads. Oh, and the effect are icing on the cake. Yeah I know, effect are not what make the synth. However, the effects on the Radias, especially the reverbs and delay sound sweet!!!! The RADIAS obviously isn't for everyone and the RADIAS is definitely one of those synths you have to really tweak to unleash it's potential rather than just browse the presets.

Now with that said, I still wouldn't mind having an MS2000R. Afterall, I did like the sound of the MicroKorg, which has the MS engine. However, I couldn't justify it now since I also have a Virus C and several PCM sample-based modules but only two analog monos. If I ever get another synth, it'll probably be either another analog mono ,or better yet, an analog poly synth which is something I don't currently own. I have enough VA synths and romplers already.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The Radias is so much better than the Ms2000, it's really no contest. If you get the chance, compare the original Microkorg (with the MS2000 engine) to the XL (with the Radias engine): night and day. The former sounds like a toy.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Any KORG since the 80's bores me to tears... but I really really like the RADIAS. Microkorg XL too!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Any KORG since the 80's bores me to tears...
Including the Wavestation? That was pretty revolutionary back then!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've had a Radias for about a year, and I'm very impressed with it.

It is not an "instant gratification" synth, like the JP8000. It makes you work a bit for the good stuff, but it is extremely versatile, has good effects, and is capable of some very powerful sounds.

Personally, I think its biggest strength is very digital, distorted sounds with loads of movement and modulation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post

It is not an "instant gratification" synth, like the JP8000. It makes you work a bit for the good stuff, but it is extremely versatile...
+1

The presets don't do it justice either.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I totally don't know what's going on with the presets they install on machines these days. I mean, it's like they are purposely trying to make the machine sound bad when you try it out in the shop.

I've been playing around on this Waldorf Micro Q that a friend has loaned me.
It's not a bad synth, but everyone of the factory presets is trash, bad sounding trash.

Anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
on bad presets in recent synths: a) companies can't afford to pay the level of talent they used to pay for, so they just get "endorsement" patches from a handful of good designers who go through the motions making the usual stuff; b) there are fewer and fewer good patch designers out there who're willing to work for cheap - they have, these days, other more profitable avenues for their efforts; c) music has gone completely downhill so there's little inspiration out there.

on Radias: I believe there's a full "all the MS-2000 patches" download on Korg's site. I can fully believe Radias does all of MS2000, and then some.

The problem with a lot of synths developed over the past few years, V-Synth included, is that they actually have so many MORE options and abilities than older synths that it's all too easy to get "weedy" sound. Some of the most pleasing conventional sounds we are used to from synths come from quite simple patch architectures, with specific settings. Put Resonance at 70 and close the 24db filter down to 30 and done. 12ms attack time, 500ms decay time, done. "Analogue" fat. You get multiple filters that can be routed in series or parallel and you're playing with the ability to slice out a lot of the sound if you're not careful; which is what Radias and other recent synths have. You get the ability to play multiple samples or waveforms that interact with each other and cancel frequencies out all over the place, and you get those one-finger weedy dance track patches. It's all pretty obvious.

Take a Radias down to the primitive bare minimums with conventional settings across the board on a patch and you can do anything with it an MS-2000 will do. It's not some "magic" in the MS-2000, it's just the way by default it's a synth constrained to a more conventional range of possibilities, a range that's more familiar to the popular ear and therefore, sounds.... "good."
Old 26th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've only recently taken the lid of my Radias and really started programming it. You get get really creative with the modulation dequencers (there are 3 per timbre, and potentially 4 timbres per patch, so it can get funky really quickly). Combining the mod sequencer with tempo synced LFOs and the arpreggiator gives you all those throbbing Tangerine Dream style sequences, before you've even opened your DAW.

I am sure a lot of people out there dismiss modern synths just from the factory patches. I've got some very retro sequences from the Radias that probaby should have shipped with it. The factory presets are very 90's techno focused and don't do it justice at all.
Old 26th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The factory presets are for people like me when I'm lazy and feel like being in peppermint candy raver mode. Plus all those blinky lights! I'm almost embarrassed to be in the same room with myself!

Anyways.... yeah, actually Korg were probably thinking both Roland (SP-808EX toy colors) and Waldorf Q (modulatable filters, flexible mod matrix, ability to run filters in series/parallel, comb filter, etc.) when they made Radias, plus their own usual thing.

People are too hard on all this stuff; you can make music on anything. I have the radio on in the other room and a bunch of women are just using vocal chords in a chorus right now, and it sounds pretty good to me.
Old 2nd July 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb View Post

It is not an "instant gratification" synth, like the JP8000. It makes you work a bit for the good stuff, but it is extremely versatile, has good effects, and is capable of some very powerful sounds.

Personally, I think its biggest strength is very digital, distorted sounds with loads of movement and modulation.
I agree with this. I've just recently purchased a Radias about 2-3 months ago and am just scratching the surface with this thing. You definitely have to dig into this thing to get out of it what you want.

I also agree with one of the other posters about the "One Button Dance Patches"....I don't care for those at all...I just bypass those right away. I create "Cosmic Ambient Soundscapes" and "Atmospheric" Music and so far I've definitely found some very usable sounds after doing some digging. I don't have an MS2000 here in my studio to compare the two but I might think about getting one of those to go along with my Radias....if the sound is different enough as some people have said. Any insight on that ??

Personally, I don't care what kind of synth it is.....Digital, Analog, Hybrid, VA....whatever. Whatever gets me the kind of sounds that I'm looking for is all I care about. Creating Downtempo Ambient Soundscapes, SpaceMusic, Atmospheric and downright "Spaced Out" Electronic music is what I do. Any Synth or Module that can get me those kind of sounds I will acquire....I don't care what brand or synthesis architecture.

So....I think if you're into making Experimental Electronic, Ambient and Atmospheric styles of music you should definitely be able to find some usable textures on the Radias. I know I have and I've only had it a couple of months so far.
Old 28th August 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonB View Post
I am really amazed on how different they sound, but I guess not. The filter was just nasally and nasty on the RADIAS. The MS2000 engine just sounds better.
Old 28th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like my radias. You guys are right it is cold and sterile, but that's what korg is known for. Is amazing for old kraftwerk like sounds and ambient
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The coolest feature on the Radias imo is the Format Motion recording. The overall sound of the Radias does seem to be more polished.
Old 29th August 2013
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
but the MS2k has more character, Radias is even closer to the 'software' sound, just like most VAs I've heard.
Old 29th August 2013 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
but the MS2k has more character, Radias is even closer to the 'software' sound, just like most VAs I've heard.
So many people bad mouth the MS2000 but I love the sounds I can quickly get out of this thing. It does have a fantastic sound and the built in step sequencer is fun as hell. Last week I was trying to get a decent acid sound out of my Virus C and just couldn't do it (been having bad programing luck with it lately anyway). I switched to the MS2K and bam! Nice bubbly acid with arp and step sequencer going.

Awesome little surprise too was when I moved on to sequence something on my Blofeld and accidentally had the MS2K on the same MIDI channel and it triggered a cool glitchy electronic sound off the acid patch I made and completely complemented the patch from the Blofeld.
Old 17th September 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I've wanted the Korg MS2000 for a couple years now, and I kept watching Ebay off and on for a new in box one, and I finally scored a couple weeks ago.

Needless to say I'm totally thrilled about it.

Old 28th August 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i own both. on a raw level, without fx they sound pretty different. i think the ms2000 sounds more beefy. but the radias lets you sculp the sound with cool fx and a second filter.

the thing that annoys me the most on the radias is the lack or legato portamento. it does legato, it does portamento, but it doesnt do the two together .
πŸ“ Reply