The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OBERHEIM MATRIX 12 any owners-users ?
Old 26th January 2008
Gear Maniac

OBERHEIM MATRIX 12 any owners-users ?

hello...
Does anyone own a Oberheim Matrix 12 ?

I have a friend that raves so much a bout this Vintage synth.

ive herd some sound examples of it and its huge ..

now maybe i have the chance to buy one but the price is high as expected...(around 3000 euros ) its a very rare synth and im considering getting it but im not very familiar with i it so im doubting..

can someone that used it or owns it tell me if this is so amazing as some people say ...
any users here ?
thank you
Anna

Last edited by Anna LogG; 26th January 2008 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: my bad spelling ...
Old 26th January 2008
thx1138
Never owned one but played around with a 4Voice and boy it's ****ing great!
If you're afraid to spend that much money, you could always try to find the Xpander – it's identical -6 voices.
Old 26th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I've had mine for more than five years now, and yes, it is amazing.
Gear Maniac

hi, thanks

can u tell me if the price im offered is OK ? how much they normally go 4?

i saw one 8 years ago for 10.000 dollars but i dunno now
...I guess ist hard to find out but i dont wanna get ripped off or anything...

condition of the synth is very good...and has aftertouch.
can u also pleasse tell me how many parts multitimbral is it?
I mean how many midi channels with diferent voices i can play-write at once?

sorry for so many questions

thank you again!
A
thx1138
3000€? You're getting ripped off, man! Gimme that guys' address I will cope with him

No, really 3000€ is pretty much ok.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna LogG View Post
can u tell me if the price im offered is OK ? how much they normally go 4?
The price is not cheap, but it's OK if it's in very good condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna LogG
condition of the synth is very good...and has aftertouch.
Well...to be honest the keyboard action on these are not on par with the rest of the synth. When I really want to enjoy the expressive sounds on the Matrix-12 I use my Fantom X8 to control it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna LogG
can u also pleasse tell me how many parts multitimbral is it?
I mean how many midi channels with diferent voices i can play-write at once?
It is 12 parts multitimbral. You can set each voice to its own MIDI channel. The multi parts are extremely powerful, but still very easy to set up.
Lives for gear

...by the way, I own an Xpander, which I love, and I was considering picking another one in order to get more polyphony on multi programs. I know this is risky, as my own box has gone through some serious service problems through the (22) years (when you see that "fail" after the autotune routine...) but....
how much does an xpander go for these days in Europe?

To the thread starter
This synth is simply amazing, and has some features that to my knowledge are rare or unique, like individual voices of a chord rotating or jumping across the stereo panorama, or its luxury modulation matrix...not to mention sound

best regards
Massimo
Old 27th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Well Anna, I hope it wasn't this one you had in mind...

Oberheim Matrix 12 analoger Synthesizer bei eBay.de: Synthesizer (endet 27.01.08 20:28:56 MEZ)

3000 Euro wasn't enough there.
Old 27th January 2008 | Show parent
thx1138
What a beauty
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Nut
Matrix 12 is really not for everyone. I d recomend it for scoring textures. It can sound like a wall. But don't expect it to be punchy. The envelopes are soo slow. I owned one for more than ten years and I often had problems to integrate/glue the thick sound to the mix. I always fellt it sounds great on its own - but together with other instrumenst it was another story.
If you got ten synth and money is no issue - buy it! But I am not sure if the great, but limited colors are worth that money. Todays Synths are so much more flexible. Of course Matrix is unique, but many synths will give you more colors and possibilities.

BTW is sold MKS-80, Minimoog and Matrix-12. I bought a MKS again. I miss the Mini sometimes. I rarely miss the Matrix.
Old 28th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I agree about the really slow envelopes, but it not being as flexible as today's synths- are you kidding? The routing capabilities are endless on that thing as I'm sure you know!

For pads, sfx, evolving and/or unusual sounds it creates sounds that can't be duplicated. Also the filter options on it are sweet- phase filters for example...

You don't buy it for punchy, but you buy it for anything else, that's my opinion. And I suppose its' ability to integrate with a mix depends on the material and the person programming the patches.
Old 28th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

One of my most wanted.

Hopefully one a day , an Xpander will grace my studio.
Old 28th January 2008
Gear Addict
Thoroughly regret getting rid of mine a few years back! I had the 12 output option installed and it was an American made one not Japanese (which to me doesn't sound anywhere near as good).
There is an amazing array of filter types which covers many synth styles. I would say buy it if its in great condition at that price (and is American made). Even if you decided to re sell it later you wont lose any money on it..unlike buying modern synths
Lifer
Old 29th January 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante View Post
I agree about the really slow envelopes, but it not being as flexible as today's synths- are you kidding? The routing capabilities are endless on that thing as I'm sure you know!
Okay but... If you take an average person with no synth knowledge and play 50 Patches on Matrix and 50 Patches on Virus TI or Roland V Synth. If you ask this person which synth is more versatile/flexible, has more different Sound possibilities. For sure it wouldn'd be the Matrix.

Quote:
For pads, sfx, evolving and/or unusual sounds it creates sounds that can't be duplicated. Also the filter options on it are sweet- phase filters for example...
I agree it has some great and unique sounds.

Quote:
And I suppose its' ability to integrate with a mix depends on the material and the person programming the patches.
The person was me haha. You don't know this issue? I didn't know about the American/Japanese versions. Maybe I got an Japanese version
Old 29th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Okay but... If you take an average person with no synth knowledge and play 50 Patches on Matrix and 50 Patches on Virus TI or Roland V Synth. If you ask this person which synth is more versatile/flexible, has more different Sound possibilities. For sure it wouldn'd be the Matrix.

I agree it has some great and unique sounds.

The person was me haha. You don't know this issue? I didn't know about the American/Japanese versions. Maybe I got an Japanese version
i don't know how the T1 compares to the Virus KC. but i had a KC for a minute (sold it immediately) and have had a matrix 12...the matriz 12 is way more flexible than a KC...totally differtent level as far as programming. It is more complicated but figuring it out isn't much more diiffult than figuring out a virus...you would def need to track down a manual and search the internet for some tips perhaps... Very similar to a modular synth and because this, the sounds can go awol. The Matrix / Xpander is one of the nicest sounding synths imo. In the US, they go for about $2200 (no mods or aftertouch) and more if there are mods and/or aftertouch...maybe 2700-3000
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Addict

Things to note

I have had my Matrix-12 since 1986. It has been a long, rewarding and difficult marriage. This post is long and tedious but it's something you may want to think about. 2 weeks ago my M12 would not boot. I opened the hood and measured voltages: The +5V line was at 1.7 volts. The M12 has a pretty nifty switching power supply which senses the +5V line and scales the other voltages accordingly. So because the +5V line was low, the unregulated voltages were sky high. Right when I noticed that I heard a POP! Oh no.

After much troubleshooting I sussed it out: the switching transformer is mounted to the pcb with only it's soldered legs. the leg driving the 5V regulator had come loose, thus the other voltages went high, and the +55V line that drives the Flourecent displays was at 110V!! This blew up one of the UDN6118A flourcent display driver IC's. Thankfully it shorted so the displays and other IC's weren't affected. It was a bit of a pain to find because some of these IC's are soldered in.

Since these ICs haven't been made for 10 years I had to go to one of those dreaded vintage chip aggregators, where I had to buy 3 of these and some other stuff just to make the minimum, and then they charged me $18 shipping for 5 chips! Oh well, had to do it.

Luckily the other voltage regulators were real heroes and didn't let the higher voltages through (whew!) but one 7912 -12V regulator was damaged and needed replaced.

After all this my M12 is like new again. This is not the first time I've had to repair this synth.

So my point is, you are going to encounter problems like this one. It will take you away from other things you may want to be doing with your life other than fixing your Matrix-12. Like making music. Also, there are many things that really suck on a stock Matrix-12 that you will have to put up with, and you will hate them. Maybe the biggest thing is this: There is the dream of the Matrix-12, and there is the reality of the Matrix-12. They are very different. We all understand the dream; it is the seductive dream of the monster analog polysynth, and what a wonderful dream it is. But in reality the Matrix-12 does not quite measure up as you would expect. It does not sound as good as some of the other super high end analog polysynths, and suffers from a list of other deficiencies.

I am not going to tell you to not buy it, but I thought that you may like to know that you should be prepared to suffer a little bit for your Matrix-12.
Old 1st February 2008 | Show parent
Quote:
If all you are doing is pushing presets then this is understandable, that was always Oberheim's weakness. They never quite got the idea in the front office that killer presets helped sell their gear. Having said that the M12 is a programmers synth, if you like to dive in and see what kind of sounds you can make on your own then you will love it. If you are just a preset pusher then you are better off staying with softsynths with millions of presets.

Quote:
didn't know about the American/Japanese versions. Maybe I got an Japanese version
The same company that made the Matrix 6, 6R, xk, and prommer made the Xpander and Matrix 12 for the Asian market. I worked at Oberheim back in the mid-1980s and those two synths were in such high demand that we couldn't make them fast enough. We had an Asian M12 and Xpander shipped over to check them out as we were considering having them make them for the rest of the world. Well, the units they shipped us never worked properly. We even tried to fix them and could never get them to run so the idea was dropped.
Old 12th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Nut

I had my Matrix 12 for the last 3 month and I must say that it is one of the best synth I ever had, along with the Korg Oasys (now that it has more synths) and the Juno 60, yes this unexpensive, simple but amazingly warm synth!!.
Avoid digital emulations, virus etc.. no comparison with the real thing. the Oberheim sounds alive, very warm!! Take into account that you must understand analog synthesis, otherwise you will get very confused when programing it. If you are not into programing get the Juno 60 ( no midi ) but unbeliable sound.
Cheers
Old 14th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetplane666666 View Post
I have had my Matrix-12 since 1986. It has been a long, rewarding and difficult marriage. This post is long and tedious but it's something you may want to think about. 2 weeks ago my M12 would not boot. I opened the hood and measured voltages: The +5V line was at 1.7 volts. The M12 has a pretty nifty switching power supply which senses the +5V line and scales the other voltages accordingly. So because the +5V line was low, the unregulated voltages were sky high. Right when I noticed that I heard a POP! Oh no.

After much troubleshooting I sussed it out: the switching transformer is mounted to the pcb with only it's soldered legs. the leg driving the 5V regulator had come loose, thus the other voltages went high, and the +55V line that drives the Flourecent displays was at 110V!! This blew up one of the UDN6118A flourcent display driver IC's. Thankfully it shorted so the displays and other IC's weren't affected. It was a bit of a pain to find because some of these IC's are soldered in.

Since these ICs haven't been made for 10 years I had to go to one of those dreaded vintage chip aggregators, where I had to buy 3 of these and some other stuff just to make the minimum, and then they charged me $18 shipping for 5 chips! Oh well, had to do it.

Luckily the other voltage regulators were real heroes and didn't let the higher voltages through (whew!) but one 7912 -12V regulator was damaged and needed replaced.

After all this my M12 is like new again. This is not the first time I've had to repair this synth.

So my point is, you are going to encounter problems like this one. It will take you away from other things you may want to be doing with your life other than fixing your Matrix-12. Like making music. Also, there are many things that really suck on a stock Matrix-12 that you will have to put up with, and you will hate them. Maybe the biggest thing is this: There is the dream of the Matrix-12, and there is the reality of the Matrix-12. They are very different. We all understand the dream; it is the seductive dream of the monster analog polysynth, and what a wonderful dream it is. But in reality the Matrix-12 does not quite measure up as you would expect. It does not sound as good as some of the other super high end analog polysynths, and suffers from a list of other deficiencies.

I am not going to tell you to not buy it, but I thought that you may like to know that you should be prepared to suffer a little bit for your Matrix-12.
+1

reminds me of the comment by Prairie Prince in the liner notes to the Tubes' "Now" record: "I want to suffer for sound!"
Old 20th August 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Alesis Andromeda Get It While It's Hott

The Alesis Andromeda cost me 2000.00 but gives the same sound as the Matrix 12, Memorymoog and Minimoog, crispy filters, estranged pads

Probably one of the best synthes for the money right now. Last great thing Alesis did before the Numark buy out
Lives for gear

There is a fully serviced Matrix 12 for 4910 Euros , so I don't think 3000 is much to ask, provided it is actually serviced and in good cosmetic condition.

And certainly the Andromeda can give you plenty of Oberheim flavours.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
There is a fully serviced Matrix 12 for 4910 Euros , so I don't think 3000 is much to ask, provided it is actually serviced and in good cosmetic condition.

And certainly the Andromeda can give you plenty of Oberheim flavours.

I think it would have gone now this thread is 7 months old As for an Andromeda giving the same sounds as a matrix 12, a memorymoog and a minimoog?.. all i can say is thats some strong **** you been smokin heh
Lives for gear

I bought one once, without actually having heard it first (!) - in the late 80s. I had heard some other Oberheim synths I liked a lot, but was disappointed by the factory sounds in the Matrix 12 (compared with factory sounds in other Oberheim synths)

Even if I made my own set of sounds (and still have a backup of them somewhere, I guess), I wouldn't buy one again.

In the end, I ended up using only a couple of sounds.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I think it would have gone now this thread is 7 months old As for an Andromeda giving the same sounds as a matrix 12, a memorymoog and a minimoog?.. all i can say is thats some strong **** you been smokin heh
I 2nd that!!
Gear Addict

there's also one for $5000 on CL for $5000, in the sf bay area;
Oberheim Matrix Analog Synth

too much $$ for me though.
If anyone has an Andromeda for sale, PM me.
Old 26th August 2008 | Show parent
Quote:
gimme some!!

no, seriously... check the Doepfer CEM based filters.
you can thank me later
Old 26th August 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

One of the things that Xpander has over the Matrix 12 is that it has individual CV and Gates for each Voice
Old 28th August 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I don't have to repeat constantly that these synths can overlap sonically - if someone knows how to program them, that is.

And no, I don't smoke anything at all. That was rather rude.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness View Post
Well, I don't have to repeat constantly that these synths can overlap sonically - if someone knows how to program them, that is.

And no, I don't smoke anything at all. That was rather rude.
Which synths overlap sonically? My comment was light hearted and wasnt directed at you anyway.

Im not sure what you mean but I have both a memorymoog and a Matrix 12 sitting here...They in no way sound similar. Even a single straight sawtooth from these machines sounds completely different.

An andromeda is a nice machine but it's inherent tone is way off of these two. No matter how hard you program a synth it still has it's own intrisic sound.
Lives for gear

The Matrix-12 is a fantastic synth. It's the one I've had the longest. I've had an andromeda too and would choose the M12 hands down.
📝 Reply