The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
OBERHEIM MATRIX 12 any owners-users ?
Old 20th March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
Yeah take that to a tech. They will know how to find their way around the voice and processor boards. Won't matter if its US or Japan.

It was sold as working right? And it has a service history?
Yes indeed on both accounts and the vendor is putting up $400 to pay for repairs. Just wanted to save him the cost if I could. Going in this coming Friday so fingers crossed! Thanks man!
Old 20th March 2016
Lives for gear

Good luck man. I hope its not a nightmare repair job.

I want to see a video of it up and running.
Old 20th March 2016
Gear Nut

The differences between the US and Japanese versions are very slight, the voice card circuitry is identical although the boards look quite different. If you have lost contact between the main CPU and both Voice cards, then my first port of call would be the clock connection from the main CPU end, perhaps the 3 pin connector has come loose or may be dirty on it's pins, a pencil eraser can help here. Any more than this and you will probably need a Tech, but I routinely deal with both Japanese and American Xpanders with no great difference.
Old 21st March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthnerdireland View Post
The differences between the US and Japanese versions are very slight, the voice card circuitry is identical although the boards look quite different. If you have lost contact between the main CPU and both Voice cards, then my first port of call would be the clock connection from the main CPU end, perhaps the 3 pin connector has come loose or may be dirty on it's pins, a pencil eraser can help here. Any more than this and you will probably need a Tech, but I routinely deal with both Japanese and American Xpanders with no great difference.
Hi hi. Thanks for the info. Would this little chap need connecting? Possibly came loose in transit as the voice boards looked like they had shifted a bit. It was hiding down in the left back corner but looks like a primo candidate for connection no?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9W...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9W...ew?usp=sharing
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBrayMusic View Post
Hi hi. Thanks for the info. Would this little chap need connecting? Possibly came loose in transit as the voice boards looked like they had shifted a bit. It was hiding down in the left back corner but looks like a primo candidate for connection no?
Odd, that connection is not present on US models. Logically, that should be connected, but try and find a pic of another Japanese model first to confirm. Since it's not on US models, it's hard to know offhand if that has any direct impact on the processor boards functioning (though who knows!)
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
Odd, that connection is not present on US models. Logically, that should be connected, but try and find a pic of another Japanese model first to confirm. Since it's not on US models, it's hard to know offhand if that has any direct impact on the processor boards functioning (though who knows!)
Hi there. Thanks for this. I have been searching like mad today for a Japanese M12 internal shot but have come up with a blank. Nada. Zip. The US version has a ground point there apparently so shows that the two different versions have been configured internally in a different way.

The little connector seems like it obviously goes there but don't want to make anything worse. Just my luck that the full hour bench fee for my tech will go towards him connecting that up in 10 secs!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBrayMusic View Post
Hi there. Thanks for this. I have been searching like mad today for a Japanese M12 internal shot but have come up with a blank. Nada. Zip. The US version has a ground point there apparently so shows that the two different versions have been configured internally in a different way.

The little connector seems like it obviously goes there but don't want to make anything worse. Just my luck that the full hour bench fee for my tech will go towards him connecting that up in 10 secs!
Yeah, totally understandable. Were it me... I would probably just connect it and see what happens. My logic would be that, since it pretty clearly can connect to those pins (i.e., it could be a test point or something) there's not much harm that can be done. The main thing would be to identify which is the right way round since switching +/- could definitely cause issues.
Old 21st March 2016
Lives for gear

You either have a functional knowledge of electronics or you don't. If you do, and you have the right tools, you don't need to ask on an internet forum what you should do.

My advice is to let a tech handle it. The best that could happen by doing it yourself is you fix a simple problem purely by accident and you save a few bucks. The worst that could happen? Well I don't even want to think about what could happen when a guy goes ham on 5 grands worth of unicorn synthesizer without a clue about what they are doing.

To some extent when you buy old synths like this, you expect them to fail in sometimes baffling ways. You might get lucky and get a great 10 year run out of the thing before it needs a repair job. You might get extremely unlucky and end up with a problem that is more trouble than its worth to fix and so the unit becomes a source of spares. Most people will have some experience in between those 2 outlying scenarios at one point or another.

Without some degree of skill and experience working with electronics, maintenance of old synths becomes an ancillary cost - both in money and time out on a workbench. It is part of the hidden cost of owning old gear. If you don't know what you are doing, leave it with someone who does.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
You either have a functional knowledge of electronics or you don't. If you do, and you have the right tools, you don't need to ask on an internet forum what you should do.
He's asking about plugging in a loose cable, not re-capping it blindly.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff View Post
He's asking about plugging in a loose cable, not re-capping it blindly.
Exactly! Thanks sir Ruff! Wtf Robo?! Way to dump on a guy. I have the money and I earned it all from music so don't judge me man. I'm sad now :(

My problem is, I'm in that sort of dangerous mine field of knowing a bit but probably not enough even for a simple thing like this. I reckon it's a ground. The US service manual shows a ground there but with no connector. There is no
polarisation tab on the male part of the connector so not sure which way to plug in. I probs need to confirm by checking for continuity between the two pins but maybe not! lol. There you go. i know a little bit
Old 23rd March 2016
Gear Nut

Hi Josh, those green coloured cables in the 4th picture are the clock connections from the CPU board to the voice cards, the black cable from the first pic is a ground wire, certainly no harm in plugging that back in, probably won't make any difference but who knows?
Old 23rd March 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi Josh, those green coloured cables in the 4th picture are the clock connections from the CPU board to the voice cards, the black cable from the first pic is a ground wire, certainly no harm in plugging that back in, probably won't make any difference but who knows?
Hi my man, thanks. I'll check their seating etc tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 10th April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Quote:
Hi again everyone. No fix yet. My tech has checked everything he can think of and has cleaned and reseated and checked and double checked but can't find the fault. He says the machine is very clean inside.

He has not yet replaced the processor chips or resoldered perhaps this might help?

Old 7th June 2016
Gear Nut
Hi Slutz.

So in case any one was interested the M12 is FIXED! Booyah! Awakewalk was an absolute f*(^ing gent and never once hesitated, at his cost, to get the unit fixed. Must have cost him $700 + in shipping and techs. GREAT seller.

A system reset (not factory) fixed the voice processor malfunctions. Still getting details on this from him so I can do again if need be.
Once the malfunctions went, "RES" and "VCF" failed tuning on voice 6, however, a quick reseat of the CEM3374 on voice 6 sorted that (probs just loose from shipping).

All in all a very happy owner and MY OH MY does this bitch sound amazing. Huge. Filmic. Epic. Rich. Interesting. Unlimited Power. Thanks for your help all.

JB
📝 Reply