The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mackie Control or Euphonix MC Mix/Control?
Old 30th October 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cairns View Post
Sure, of course. But setting the network up and buying a hub is something to consider - im not sure everyone has realised this is neccassary should they decide to chain a few MCs together.

For me, its even worse. I have all my machines already networked as an orchestral template. Each machine is already streaming a ton of information for all the orchestral samples. I just hope the MC units would;

1. agree to work on the network range I already have setup
2. not interfere or add latency to the established rigs

I am assuming you are running a gigabit network. Do you know how much data you are pushing through? you may have a decent amount of headroom to run the MC.
Old 30th October 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseLab56309 View Post
I'm upgrading my project studio but I still don't know what's the best choice for hands-on control?
for controlling:
Mackie Or:
Euphonix
Hands on control of Plugins?
novationmusic remote SL not the compact.
Novation Music | UK | Products | Software | Automap Universal
Novation Music | UK | Products | MIDI Control | ReMOTE SL
Novation Music | UK | Products | MIDI Control | ReMOTE ZeRO SL

the zero has no touch screen, not keys not pitch bend, faders are not 100mm, and has no moving/motorised/flying faders.
But Automap2 its near Automatic, near no user programming/assigment required.
= time & energy saver.

or the 61SL, has keys,pad,etc..,

euphonix looks more PRO.
moving faders seem the bomb.

but i had moving faders,
from peavey studiomix, to yamaha promix01, 01v, 02r, 03d, behringer ddx3216, tascam us-2400

motorised faders are nice when you link faders to move groups, or stereo channels, but that removes the tiny imperfections that true console mixes have.
the idea of hands on its to focus more on your ears, less in your eyes.
like true 100% analog 100% outboard does,
moving faders does the opposite.
also some are verry noisy "even more distracting."

moving faders "motorized faders" are the less used feature in a studio.
but they are verry cool to see....

i would invest in for example;
balanced power & regulated & filtered power
it-20ii + ar-20ii
or
mpp7000ss + avs2000 pro

if you have clean stable power, then:
a big & true SINE generator UPS. from APC or better.
square wave UPS can kill your equipment if used long/hard enough.

if you have power & ups, then nice cables,
or more DSP.

go for Novation Remote 61SL
or ZERO SL if you have better keys.
and furman ar-15ii or better it-20ii + ar-20ii
or monster mpp7000 + avs2000 pro.
but thats me,

or
the new sonic core Xite-1, or the old 14-dsp pci card. + magma chasis if your mac does not have pci,

an UAD-2 quad nevana x128,
maybe an tc powercore x8,

what else ?
bigger loudspeakers?, more speakers? subwoofer ?
a nice room eq? klark teknik or tc eq station ?
lavry gold?
more synths,?
another SSL Duende? all other optional SSL plugins ?
if you have all that, then an atomic wordclock from antelope or teac esoteric.
a better wordclock trully improoves the way you hear to EQ or record AD, and listen DA.

moving faders do nothing to improove or protect the sound and the equipment.
but are cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by logic108 View Post
Are the Jazz mutants that more expensive? Could see that they might be more useful as well.
them's in the $3k or thereabouts range. incredibly sexy though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have had the MC-Control and Mix for a while now and I really like the way that it works with several programs. The fact that i can create new soft buttons for any feature i want to control is great. This leaves the control surface very open ended. I currently mainly use it with Logic which has direct EUCON support and thus has 8x the resolution of midi. I also use it with Protools by using the HUI emulation. This also works extremely well but is limited to the resolution of the HUI protocol. The fact that you can map fader layouts on the MIXand Control and save it with a logic session is extremely useful. You can say, "recall the drum group mixers on mixers 1-8" or recall, "the bus mixers on 1-6". This makes it so you can have many preconfigured slider settings mapped to a project and recalled very quickly.

There are alot of other features i like. All and all a grea unit. I had the Mackie control and i feel it didn't really compare.
Old 1st November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
could you expand on this a little. i was looking at both today and im still not sure. im not crazy with only 4 faders on the mix. euphinix has some great vids on their site but mackie has none.
Old 2nd November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Sure.. No Prob... The Euphonix MC mix has 8 faders that by default automatically get set to the tracks that you have in your DAW. You have the option to map the faders to specific channels and busses and save them as presets in Eucon control, so that they can be recalled later. This is great if you want to lay out the tracks one way for a specific purpose and then switch really quickly to another layout for another purpose. For example, I have different fader groups mapped for drum channels, then synths, etc... So i can switch to the different fader assignments quickly. Remember, everything by default is automapped. You can decide to keep an automap for a specific fader or use a static map.

The MC Control is great for controlling DAW functions... You create soft keys and several buttons for your own customized use. You define the functions you use regularly and then have them readily available in logical groupings. This will allow you to have multiple pages for different purposes. For example... You can have a page of buttons just or automation, one for sequence editing functions, etc... As for the 4 faders on the MC Control... There aren't that many faders, but you can use the bank buttons left or right in order to move to the tracks yo want. Additionally, you can select the track from the track page soft buttons which can have several on one screen, and then control with the faders.

I originally just had the MC Control and then got the MC Mix. I find that they complement each other really well. I tend to use the MC Control for DAW button functionality and workflow and the MC Mix for fader functionality. One real nice feature of the MC Mix is that you can assign inputs, EQ's, etc, right on the device by slecting a channel and then adding a input, or eq, etc on that channel. Everything is reall intuitive,

To go back to some MC Mix functionality... The fact that you can modify several channels property in the default mode and then select channel mode to see a single channels properties accross the top knobs is great.

To compare this to the Mackie control...

The Mackie control was great when i had it. I thought it was a really good product for it's time. For the price you cannot beat it. The disadvantage is that it is not open ended. Meaning the DAW control keys are predefined and printed on the surface. I know there are soft knobs that can show parameters, but it's not the same thing.

Anyway, here's my two cents... Please feel free to ask more specific questions.

Regards,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanx for the reply. the mc control seems to have more functions. i like the size of the mackie more and the 9 faders right out the box. if i were to get a mc control, i would not sleep untill i got a mix to go with it. with the mackie i think i woud be ok for a while untill i expanded. either way they both seem like good pieces.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by technog0d View Post

Anyway, here's my two cents... Please feel free to ask more specific questions.
Hi, if I could ask a question?

Can you assign a fader on the MC Mix (or the Mackie control) for midi CCs?

For example, assign CC11 (expression) and use a fader on the control surface to manipulate it?

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 3rd November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The control surfaces typically comply to a certain protocol. The supported protocol for Mackie control is Mackie control. The Euphonix MC control/Mix support EUCON, Mackie Control, and HUI. They are designed to work inside a daw. The parameters of soft instruments, faders, inserts, etc... are all automatically mapped across the faders and/or knobs when the desired functions are selected. Basically, if you can map it in you DAW to be controlled you can then control it on the Surface. As for direct MIDI mapping... I do not think it is possible on either surface. Although, I haven't used the Mackie Control in a while. The control surfaces are designed really for fucntionality of controlling your DAW (Logic, Cubase, Pro tools, etc...) and not as much for performance. If you want something that can do both, you would probably go to something like a keyboard that has controls. The Novation Remote SL series works very well for that. If you want motorized faders and midi and auto mapping, then the CME VX series is pretty decent.

Regards,
Old 5th November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply.
Old 16th December 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Hello everybody and greetings from Greece,

Just a quick question to TechnoG0D or anyone else that may have the experience,

Does the Euphonix Controllers play ball well with the Kore 2 controller?
I notice you have many controllers, I also own the Kore 2 and would like an Mc Control and mix. Just wondering if there are any glitches with both working together.

Thank you

all the best

Captain Claw
Old 17th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by technog0d View Post
One real nice feature of the MC Mix is that you can assign inputs, EQ's, etc, right on the device by slecting a channel and then adding a input, or eq, etc on that channel. Everything is reall intuitive,

To go back to some MC Mix functionality... The fact that you can modify several channels property in the default mode and then select channel mode to see a single channels properties accross the top knobs is great.
I'm able to do all of this on the Mackie. I don't know whether it's as intuitive (probably not), but it's all pretty straightforward nonetheless.

I have the Logic Control, C4 "phat channel", and 3 xt's. It's a devastatingly great environment in which to run Logic, and I was a very early adopter and haven't had any problems to date with these units.
Old 17th December 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cairns View Post
Hi, if I could ask a question?

Can you assign a fader on the MC Mix (or the Mackie control) for midi CCs?

For example, assign CC11 (expression) and use a fader on the control surface to manipulate it?

Thanks,

Scott.

You can do this on Mackie Control, at least via the DAW I've been able to pretty effortlessly. Select the parameter to automate and fade away.
Old 7th January 2009
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
"EUPHONIX" Mc Control VS. MC Mix (stand alones)

My pockets are thin and i cant buy both at the same time. Im wordering if any of you suggest which control surface to purchase first and WHY?

MC MIX or MC CONTROL

I have the Mackie MCU ( controls almost nothing in Logic 8, scared as hell to buy another)
Old 7th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Euphonix

i don't own either, however, i just attended a seminar hosted by apple/euphonix/appogee....they called it "the power trio"..........and the euphonix integrated seemlessly with logic, and had many preset pages laid out for logic......i personally would never pay for anything that had Mackie written on it.....their mixers suck, the preamps blow, the eq's add noise and even tho the control doesn't have any of that---it's still Mackie we're talking about....ever since they moved production to china they have gone to ****....the one saving grace mackie offers is their powered PA speakers(which were designed and sold to mackie by the Italian company RCF)....
love
~sweep~
Old 5th July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Hi Guys,

I wrote this review for another forum.. but I think this is pretty relevant to the topic here. Hopefully it sheds a little more light on this..

I've used the Logic Control aka. Mackie Control aka Mackie Control Pro since 2002 - and it has been perfectly integrated with Logic (i'm still on 7, 8 is a different animal) since the beginning. Many controllers have come and gone since, claiming to offer the same features, speed, tactile control. Of course, claims and reality don't always match - so for me, the MCU has always been the benchmark surface to compare all other surfaces to.

Let's see how the Euphonix MC Mix stacks up against the MCU! I have 1 MCU + 2 additional XT fader packs at my studio. I was able to test out 4 MC Mixes + 1 MC control... and then abandoned the MC Control (more on this at the end). Some may say "why aren't you comparing the MCU XT vs. the MC Mix?". Answer: The MC Mix is designed run alone with or without the MC Control, whereas the XT can only realistically work as an extension of the main MCU.

I'll list out similar specs / tasks and of course... real-world usage comments.

Size
Mackie Pros: built like a tank.
Mackie Cons: almost 2.5x deeper for the 8+1 faders, heavy. You will need to plan your desktop Layout for this badboy. Doesnt elegantly connect with additional fader packs.

MC Mix Pro: Sleek, compact and lightweight.
MC Mix Con: Multiple unit connection is flimsy.. you CAN break the mount very easily. The built in stands are plastic junk. Be VERY careful if you have to move multiple bolted units. It's comparable to extending a long tape measure. If you apply too much stress - it will break.

Real-world use: For build quality the MCU pro wins hands down it's a solid piece of gear. I've dropped one of these off a desk and it survived and is still in service. The Euphonix would be like knocking your macbook off a table.. it's light and mostly plastic. If you dont care about this - their both equally fine so far.

Connectivity
Mackie: MIDI
MCU Pro: USB + MIDI for sidecar units
MC Mix: Ethernet

Real-world: Don't buy into ethernet is better than MIDI hype. Sure it might be a cleaner setup, but it doesn't control track volume any different. These surfaces are all glorified mice. The MIDI version requires a dedicated MIDI in/out port per unit, The USB version is USB with MIDI for sidecar units (you'll most likely need a hub if you have a stack of dongles). The ethernet version will require a switch to run multiple units. They all work EQUALLY fine.

Layout
Mackie Pros: 8+1 faders, Dedicated Transport, 95% single function button access to everything - without requiring modifiers. Of course, for those moments there are option, command and shift buttons right where you need them. Dedicated Bars/Beats or SMPTE display.

Mackie Cons: The screen is a EL backlit Text with Blue background. Fades over time, hard to read from a distance. MCU Pro Buttons are square and jagged vs. the 1st gen MCU. .. it's not as easy to slide your fingers across the board to either record arm/solo/mute a stack of tracks. The Shuttle wheel is junky.

MC Mix Pros: Looks smart and slick. The buttons feel good. The screen is great- high contrast/resolution black BG with Yellow text. Bright indicators.

MC Mix Cons: Too many Shift + button presses to get to simple IMPORTANT functions such as automation modes, transport. Automation button is also shared with record arm when not holding shift and they're in the middle of each strip. If you have your session on touch mode and go to change something, there's a good chance your finger will touch a neighbouring channels fader by accident, writing automation. Also, Record arm and select keys are on the left side of the fader - which feels weird to me.. my instinct would be to go to the right side of the fader. The Mackie buttons are all in a tidy vertical strip.

Example of automation control on mackie: While in play or stop 1) Select track 2) Press dedictated automation button - touch, read, latch or off 3) get to work (a light indicates what mode you're on). You can also press option + automation mode and it puts the entire session in that automation mode

Example of automation control on MC Mix: While in play or stop 1) Select track 2) hold down shift 3) Press the track's record button until you see a tiny "r" "rw" "w" "off" in the scribble strip.

Realworld use: As much as I prefer the MC Mix visually - there's some simple cosmetic/Aesthetic "oversights" that drove a semi-old user like me crazy. First off, The 'solo' button lights up red... which on most consoles in the universe, is mute/cut. Secondly, I prefer having dedicated automation mode buttons instead of holding down a modifier to cycle between modes. Latch also doesn't show up on the MC Mix - which I use all the time. Transport is also on a modifier access layer- which is useless, because you lose those track's solo/mute control. dumb! You can 'lock on' the modifier key.. but then you lose out on key navigation access for plugins control etc... so it's a useless feature. MCU wins again.

Faders
Mackie Pros: Calibrated, so the silk screen "0" lines up with logic's "0" nominal position
Mackie Cons: Prone to calibration errors after about 3 years of use. Noisy/chattery faders under *heavy* automation conditions

MC Mix Pros: Lightning fast, quiet faders.
MC Mix Cons: Silk screened fader position is not accurate.. +/- maybe 5% accuracy. Also, the fader isn't as logarithmic as the MCU - a smooth motion from -inf to 0 seems to ramp up in a weird way - takes a second to adjust. Also when you close Logic the faders snap down with such force you could probably launch a pen across the room! It scared me the first time!

Verdict: I really like the MC Mix faders.

Operation
The Mackie is so tightly integrated with Logic that everything is 1 to 2 strokes deep at maximum to get to even the most advanced parameter control. I found with the MC Mix, some basic access modes took 3 - 5 button strokes to take you to the same place. Flip mode is also on a modifier button - annoying.

Plugins: A serious issue I ran into on the MC Mix is you literally have to be in channel mode on the console at all times or you have no indication of what FX insert or Bus slot position you're accessing. If I have to check logic, it defeats the point of having a controller!! On the Mackie - the Bar/Beats display says 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.... so at least you know what insert slot you're accessing if you're viewing your mixer and not an individual channel.

Little things that also bothered me is that on MCU, any parameter in flip mode can be nulled to it's default by pressing the encoder - the means pan is reset to center, volume to nominal etc. On the MC Mix - this works with pan - but NOT volume. Annoying... again I have to go the mouse to option+click a fader to reset.

Verdict: They both control plugins, busses equally well.. I prefer the mackie.. but they're both EQUALLY as powerful. Mackie has a dedicated save button with LIGHT.. when you need to save. More useful than you could ever imagine!

Integration
Mackie Control Pro: Works with just about everything.. Logic perfectly. If a dialogue window opens, the text appears on the screen and you can use the Vpots to select buttons such as OK or cancel. On the MCMIX - there's no indication until you look on your LCD monitors. Yikes, I just wasted 10 seconds.

Euphonix: Although it claims to fully support the Mackie control spec.. It does NOT work in Logic 7, and instead freaks out. They won't fix it but are aware of the issue. This is comparible to having an ADAT port on a piece of gear - and it not accepting an ADAT signal. If you're claiming to support the spec.. then it should work in all apps that use the spec! Logic 8 works fine. I found it Buggy with multi-app control (swapping between protools HD and Logic 8 ) as it forgot it's display and/or button status lights on random tracks. Weird. There's also a bug where if you bank shift when you're at the top of your session - you can shift into 'blank' faders. I'm not sure if that's normal - but it seemed odd!

Conclusion:
Well it's a tough one. They're both great controllers. For me, the Mackie is still winner... even if the MC Mix looks better, sleeker, offers modern connectivity and has better quality faders. The MCU is so seamless with it's integration that I don't even have to think twice about what's going on.. and that was 8 years ago now! The MC Mix has too many modifier + button press switches that you need to access constantly - hindering speed and quick control - which defeats the point of a controller in the first place. There's still a little bit of growth needed in the software to make it flawless. The fact that it doesn't work with L7 is a deal breaker for me - as I still have a ton of sessions that I still need access to. If I'm ready to mix, I can turn off my LCD monitors and mix. On the MC Mix - you cant... which proves how solid the integration is.

I may eventually switch to these though, as soon as Logic 7 is phased out of my day to day usage. Again, I like the size and faders, and the small footprint they take. I'd be even insane enough to solder-swap the LED lights so solo was not red!

SIDENOTE about MC Control
You can argue me on this, but I'm firm on the following:

1) It's a waste of money. It's a 4 fadered touch screen gimmick that I found to be absolutely useless* . I'd recommend another MC Mix + their transport control over this without blinking an eye. It's also very expensive for what it does (which is what 20 minutes of thoughtful key command planning can do without dropping $1700). It was 'neat' to see a checkerboard of tracks you could mute, select etc.. but again 'neat' is the word. Useful all the time? Nope.

*The deal-breakers for me:

1) the scribble strips and knobs are not above or close the faders you're using. That bugged me - more than I'd expect. My eyes had to hunt to see what I was doing... already wasting time.

2) Having menu functions for the app nested in submenus you can scroll through is no different than having it nested in menus on your actual computer you can mouse to. Mousing was faster for most immediate functions. Why on earth would I select a mouse tool from the MC Control when I can use my mouse?

I dub this box.. the MC overControl.

Hope this was a helpful glimps of 2 controllers' strengths and weaknesses.

Cheers!

Neil
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Excellent Review.

For real productivity, one should use the System 5-MC
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In my case, MCU won the vote for the reason that it is easier to build a larger controller set using MCU pieces than Euphonix without the controller growing too wide. The Euphonix artist series are nice looking but imo seem to be designed in a way that you buy only 1 or 2 of them. Because they are not as deep as MCU, they probably fit easier to smaller desks but combining several of them results in a very wide system with unnecessary unused space between the units even when removing the additional plastic end pieces.

The size and looks of the MCU is more like a larger mixing desk when you combine several of them and the faders are closer to each other when you add more extenders because the individual parts are designed from the beginning to be put side by side. For my studio desk, the MCU was the optimal choice due to their dimensions, as I have enough room between my lcd screen and the keyboard & mouse. For now, I have managed to grab the MCU Pro and C4. I will add the 8ch fader extender soon when they have stock again. The setup will then be complete with 16+1 faders & c4 for plugin parameters. They fit my 200 x 100 (cm) studio desk nicely between the tabletop 4u racks. The C4 has a very good price right now, go get one. I managed to get the MCU main block for very cheap too. It was the last one in the store and they had a great deal for it.

The integration with MCU and Logic is very good. The MCU parts are built like tank, very heavy, each part weighting 7-9 kg. The transport buttons and the jog wheel are large (just the right size) and feel solid. Using the controls and zooming is very easy and comfortable. In logic, you can select from the preferences whether you want the transport buttons to click or not. The parameter changes the feel of the buttons. There is quite alot to tweak in the logic preferences related to the MCU settings. The MCU faders are a bit noisy when there's a lot of movement but it doesn't bother me. The c4 gives the plugin parameters in the order presented in the plugin controller list but you can make your own layouts if you want using the logic's built in learn control features. I must say that there are many more features and settings that can be tweaked for the MCU's in logic than has been mentioned anywhere in the forums. For example, some time ago I still didn't know that MCU also show channel levels using either horizontal or vertical meters.

So far I am very happy with the MCU system. I still need the extender and the setup is complete. I highly recommend these if you use logic. And the prices are much lower than euphonix.
Old 21st July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
In my case, MCU won the vote for the reason that it is easier to build a larger controller set using MCU pieces than Euphonix without the controller growing too wide. The Euphonix artist series are nice looking but imo seem to be designed in a way that you buy only 1 or 2 of them. Because they are not as deep as MCU, they probably fit easier to smaller desks but combining several of them results in a very wide system with unnecessary unused space between the units even when removing the additional plastic end pieces.

The size and looks of the MCU is more like a larger mixing desk when you combine several of them and the faders are closer to each other when you add more extenders because the individual parts are designed from the beginning to be put side by side. For my studio desk, the MCU was the optimal choice due to their dimensions, as I have enough room between my lcd screen and the keyboard & mouse. For now, I have managed to grab the MCU Pro and C4. I will add the 8ch fader extender soon when they have stock again. The setup will then be complete with 16+1 faders & c4 for plugin parameters. They fit my 200 x 100 (cm) studio desk nicely between the tabletop 4u racks. The C4 has a very good price right now, go get one. I managed to get the MCU main block for very cheap too. It was the last one in the store and they had a great deal for it.

The integration with MCU and Logic is very good. The MCU parts are built like tank, very heavy, each part weighting 7-9 kg. The transport buttons and the jog wheel are large (just the right size) and feel solid. Using the controls and zooming is very easy and comfortable. In logic, you can select from the preferences whether you want the transport buttons to click or not. The parameter changes the feel of the buttons. There is quite alot to tweak in the logic preferences related to the MCU settings. The MCU faders are a bit noisy when there's a lot of movement but it doesn't bother me. The c4 gives the plugin parameters in the order presented in the plugin controller list but you can make your own layouts if you want using the logic's built in learn control features. I must say that there are many more features and settings that can be tweaked for the MCU's in logic than has been mentioned anywhere in the forums. For example, some time ago I still didn't know that MCU also show channel levels using either horizontal or vertical meters.

So far I am very happy with the MCU system. I still need the extender and the setup is complete. I highly recommend these if you use logic. And the prices are much lower than euphonix.
That was very interesting to read as i was gonna buy a Mackie control pro and then changed my mind for the Euphonix but now i might change again lol
Thank you !! lol
Old 22nd April 2010
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
(Edit: I just read the post above and noticed someone else pointed that out. But is that still a good enough reason to go with the MCU's?)
Old 23rd April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
<<<the zero has no touch screen, not keys not pitch bend, faders are not 100mm, and has no moving/motorised/flying faders.
But Automap2 its near Automatic, near no user programming/assigment required.
= time & energy saver.>>>

Hey guys, I almost wasn't going to say anything but PLEASE do not buy that Zero SL, You'll want to slit your wrist trying to get it to work right. Plus it's outdated and they have a new one out that's just a tad better. I used to have an SL and that thing is impossible to take seriously I never used it and sold it on ebay. Just be very cautious before buying it. But that's just MY opinion

And please, everyone here, try and do your research first before buying anything. There are so many gadgets out there that make you think your life will be easier, It's a lot of clever marketing. But I'm just as guilty for always wanting something new myself! I've waisted lots of money on junk I didn't need and sold all of it on ebay. Now I only focus on quality products and materials. This is why it's hard to make a decision on this Mackie MCU or Euphonix MC. I will probably buy the Euphonix and bite the bullet with the wide fader issue and they seem like a more reliable company for support and have a great history for consoles.
Old 23rd April 2010 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Try a hybrid system MC Control with the EXT fader banks. Most software will suppport a Hybrid system config
Old 30th April 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just a couple of quick comments....

β€’ Automap for the RemoteSL Novation stuff is hyped rubbish... things are quicker with mind control in adjusting settings within your chosen DAW. Seriously, it's like driving a column shift car after an auto. I have one and I also bought the Pro version of Autpomap to see if it was anything worthwhile.

I love the controller, but have assigned the buttons to Key Commands in Logic and it's serving me well.

β€’ I also have a Mackie Control Universal.... now these are great. You can seriously do a mix (in Logic) with one of these and not have to use digit gymnastics and an astronauts left.%$#... brain to get it done.

Things like hitting "EQ + V-Pot 8" are just the beginning of such well thought out German engineering (Michael Hayden ..or is it Heydan) of Emagic is responsible for much of the ingenious workflow solutions that many have not even discovered by many of its users....
There are so many more... ie Send destination (vpot) and it's level (fader) by selecting "Send + V-Pot 7".

I tried an MC Mix (though I have wanted to try an MC Control) and trying to do any of the things I took for granted were either, not possible, or required the ability to change the head gasket on a Jaguar XK8 whilst blind folded.

I know that everybody (especially those with an investment in the category) will have a personal view excluding the virtues of the 'other' units, but the ol' MCU tank is a bloody good unit.... especially if you're using LogicPro.

ok.... not quite 2c worth, so I guess I owe about $12.50 ;-)
πŸ“ Reply