Waldorf Blofeld
Old 11th December 2007
Deleted 46dc28f
Waldorf Blofeld

Waldorf Music | Blofeld Overview

http://www.synthmusic.info/mp3s/blovachord.mp3

http://www.synthmusic.info/mp3s/antitripplerpoison.mp3

Anyone else here excited about this?!

Edit: Boy was I wrong about the Blofeld. After going through several, I've given up on the poorly made, buggy piece of junk from the crack smokers at Waldorf.

Edited on 11-26-10
Old 11th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChemical View Post
I wasn't originally because I thought it was just a tacky Micro Q reincarnation, but then I read a little detail I'd missed on their site:

I need to sell something so I can get this thing now!
yeah it's a great little synth with a big sound. you have some time cause it's not there yet.
Old 11th December 2007
Gear Addict

I cant wait to get my hands on this thing, dont have a waldorf in my studio yet so i think this would be perfect.
Old 11th December 2007
Lives for gear

Checked it out @ this years Frankfurt Messe..wicked sounding little fella!

BUT I think Waldorf sucks!!! They never update their website regarding the Blofeld plus they've never replied to any of my emails regarding this thing!!!

Yeah,that's the way to earn customers this day and age!!..especially when you are tryin to make a comeback in the business!

Way to go Waldorf!!dfegad

Phaidon
Old 11th December 2007
They recently updated their website with all kinds of specs, samples and info about the Blofeld. I haven't tried emailing them as of late. About a year ago I asked a few questions about the Micro Q Phoenix after I preordered one. The guy was very polite and answered all my questions.

They might just be really busy trying to get Blofeld out the door. That's no excuse for slack customer service, but from what I've heard there's literally just a handful of people running the whole operation.

I'm just happy they're back at all. They've been a tad slow w/ development etc. but I think the products will be stronger and have fewer bugs. It took several months before the Micro Q Phoenix showed up on my doorstep (no. 83/500) but it was WELL worth the wait. What a great synth. Can't wait for Blofeld.
Old 11th December 2007
there is a mailing list/forum. there's some waldorf guys participating.
Old 11th December 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
BUT I think Waldorf sucks!!! They never update their website regarding the Blofeld plus they've never replied to any of my emails regarding this thing!!!
Quite odd as I have found them to be polite, quite responsive and extremely helpful on various occasions. Even within a few months of the Waldorf GbmH reincarnation in 06 they were very helpful with products from Waldorf Electronics GmbH even though they were not legally obligated to support them. Are you one of those who become impatient when you don't receive a reply to your post within two hours?
Old 11th December 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

Already ordered one from thomann. Should be here in 2-3 weeks.
Old 12th December 2007
A MicroWave XT and a Micro Q combined? I just wish it had more outs a'la Virus. For the size of this box and it's features, I am getting one for sure. If I read the specs correctly this is what I find appealing:

-Metal enclosure
-Programmable arpeggiator with MIDI sync
-LFO MIDI sync
-1000 sounds
-16 part multi-timbral capability

Concern though, only MIDI in? Anyone have any problems there? My JL Cooper Nexus box will provide me another out. For someone WITHOUT a multiple OUT MIDI box, in a MIDI chain situation, it would have to be the last one in the chain. Correct me if I am mistaken, but if you already have a synth without a thru (ex; Prophet 600, early Nordleads have no MIDI THRU) you WILL need to purchase a multiple MIDI OUT box to use that other synth with no MIDI THRU. Not that big a deal, but say...another $100?
Old 12th December 2007
Quote:
I am a little leery of the tiny Blofeld interface, though. Editing a Pulse like that is no problem, but doing the Micro Q interface was pretty frustrating. That many parameters on an interface that small must mean lots of menu diving.
I think the interface looks like one of the most bitchin aspects of the Blofeld. With any sound module you'll have editing issues but have you seen the feedback you get on the LCD? You can look at all your envelopes and filter curves which move in real time when you tweak them.

The Micro Q and Blofeld both have software editors. If you're not into that, I guess just use a controller. I've got a Photon X25 with several programs mapped out for individual sections of the Micro Q synth engine. It's lots of fun with the infrared MIDI axyz thingy too.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thankfully, I already have a thru box and three or four MIDI outs not in use currently, (because I've also got a few other synths that have to be last on the chain, namely the ESQ-1) but if you do need to get a thru box, you can pick them up on eBay for as little as $15 (usually about $25). If you've already splurged $700 on the Blofeld, this really is a small price to pay.

Actually, the more I think about this baby, the more I'm in lust with it, so now the question is: do I buy the Blofeld, the Pro One, or the Prophet 600 come February?
Don't you have a lot of digital synths already? Get the Pro-One, give it a good test and if you don't like it, the price won't drop so you can sell it on and try the Blo.
Old 12th December 2007
it sounded more like a micro q than a microwave xt to my ears (and I have both) still it's great to see they're back
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nevermind! My wife found out how in lust with the Blofeld I am, so she's buying me one for my birthday, so I can still buy myself the Pro One.
Now that's one cool chica!
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am a little leery of the tiny Blofeld interface, though.
Yes, it would be great to have a dedicated knob for each parameter. Around 400 knobs or so

Here are some audios that were meant to be poisoned by the mp3 above:

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/blotch.mp3
http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/santablo.mp3
http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/bloated.mp3
http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/drblorofl.mp3

And two nicer sounds:

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/sobstuff.mp3
http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/telenovela.mp3
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

thanks!
Old 12th December 2007
Quote:
I think the demos were a little Q-centric and focused on the analog modeling side of things, but according to the specs, the wavetables that were on the Micro Q, MicroWave II, MicroWave XT, and the Wave are on there. Sure, we're missing the analog filters from the MicroWave I, but it's wavetables that make it worth it!
it does look like a great lil' synth ...
but the microwave digital filters make a huge difference as well, in a mix the microwave xt sits a lot better for this reason alone (in my experience of course), from the specs it looks more like they threw in the Q's filter section without the ppg filter
Old 12th December 2007
Just ordered one. The looks and the portability gave me the final push... I'll be doing a lot of music away from the studio next year, and this will be the only hw synth I'll bring. Hope it gets here before christmas.

It'll be my third Waldorf. When will this madness stop..?

r,
j,
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BF_ View Post
Are you one of those who become impatient when you don't receive a reply to your post within two hours?
Ehmm,no I'm not!! I've emailed them 3 time within 4 months,never got a reply,where let's say everytime I email Lynx I get a responce wthin 24hrs??
Well ,were you at their booth at this years Messe?? ...most of the crew were "out to lunch"!!!

My .02p

Phaidon
Old 12th December 2007
Deleted 46dc28f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
from the specs it looks more like they threw in the Q's filter section without the ppg filter
Filter specs appear to include the PPG filter:

"2 independent Multi Mode Filters
Filter FM
Resonance up to Self-Oscillation
Low Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
Band Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
High Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
Notch 24 dB / 12 dB
Comb Filter with positive / negative Feedback
PPG Low Pass Filter"
Old 12th December 2007
Quote:
Nevermind! My wife found out how in lust with the Blofeld I am, so she's buying me one for my birthday, so I can still buy myself the Pro One.
Lucky B*tch. I'm just lucky that my synths don't end up in the pool when I come home late after a gig.
Old 12th December 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone know if I will be able to run stereo audio through this box to utilize the filters?
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
Anyone know if I will be able to run stereo audio through this box to utilize the filters?
No audio inputs on the Blofeld.

http://www.trippler.net/files/blo/tamedblo.mp3
Old 12th December 2007
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaidon View Post
Ehmm,no I'm not!! I've emailed them 3 time within 4 months,never got a reply,where let's say everytime I email Lynx I get a responce wthin 24hrs??
Lynx and Waldorf are two different animals. A company with the target audience of Lynx wouldn't survive long without fast turnaround on customer support.

Maybe it is in what or how you are asking... or maybe they just like me better at Waldorf.
Old 12th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by T71 View Post
Filter specs appear to include the PPG filter:

"2 independent Multi Mode Filters
Filter FM
Resonance up to Self-Oscillation
Low Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
Band Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
High Pass 24 dB / 12 dB
Notch 24 dB / 12 dB
Comb Filter with positive / negative Feedback
PPG Low Pass Filter"
great ! i missed it ...
Old 12th December 2007
F5D
Lives for gear

The waveshaper filter of the XT sounds great. I guess I won't sell my XTk altough I will get the Blofeld. However, the Blo has the PPG filter which the XTk doesn't.
Old 12th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D View Post
The waveshaper filter of the XT sounds great. I guess I won't sell my XTk altough I will get the Blofeld. However, the Blo has the PPG filter which the XTk doesn't.
yep
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Head

does this cover any of the same territory as the pulse, or is this mostly a digital sounding beast? looking for one thanks to some of the praise i've been reading on these boards (from jazzpunk in particular). don't have a lot of personal experience with waldorf stuff, but may hold out for one of these if it can cover some of the same ground as what i'm looking for (analog monosynth) as well as provide versatility.
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by waveplant View Post
does this cover any of the same territory as the pulse, or is this mostly a digital sounding beast? looking for one thanks to some of the praise i've been reading on these boards (from jazzpunk in particular).
Hey waveplant,
One warning about the Pulse. It is not the most user friendly interface in terms of scrolling through parameters and menu diving to sculpt your sounds. I personally do not have a problem with this (I actually enjoy the way the Pulse forces me to think through exactly where I am at and where I am trying to get to when programming sounds) but I do know that the menu design and programming layout is a fairly common complaint voiced by Pulse owners.

Just something to consider in terms of what might work best for you.
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
As far as the Pulse interface, it's not quite as bad as a lot of synths. It's not as easy to use as a MiniMoog or something along those lines, but it's still not too terrible to navigate around.
Totally agree with you DC. I've heard some people complain about the layout though so I thought I should pass that info along to waveplant as well.
Old 13th December 2007
Gear Head

thanks for the info - the interface on the pulse doesn't bother me much, seems like the control matrix is pretty well organized, and i've got a matrix6 so it seems like plenty of knobs compared to that!

from the demos i've heard, the blofeld sounds awesome - reminds me a lot of absynth though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search