The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Waldorf Blofeld
Old 18th May 2017
  #451
Gear Addict
 

Double
Old 18th May 2017
  #452
Gear Addict
 

Having a great time with the blokey its own sound and samples.

2 questions:
I cant seem to get "real" pitch. This is very clear when using samples, every pitch/transpose parameter simply moves the same samples to different keys. So i can never get a true pitched tone for a lower octave below my lowest g note (mellotron) because every down pitched sound will be that g note sample (transposed) instead of the actual notes pitched

1)Is there anyway to archive a true musical pitch?
This one doesnt make sense to me, i could just use the octave buttons for this.
The "fixed pitch" setting in spectre has no influence on this right? Because i might have switched that on


2) iam trying to program a Leslie rotary effect. Came that far as adjusting lfo1 intensity to the mod wheel and pre-set the speed wich can sound quite nice but i am sure there is a better way because like this the vibrato speed changes with the note range.

Last edited by ion-five; 18th May 2017 at 10:43 PM..
Old 18th August 2017
  #453
Gear Head
 

Hey folks
How widespread are encoder issues in keyboard?
If I buy a great condition preowned will I be able to see easily if it suffers from skipping

And if not how likely is it to be major issue in near future (home use only so not perfectionist )

Any feedback gratefully accepted

Last edited by cici; 18th August 2017 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Add clarity
Old 18th August 2017
  #454
Lives for gear
 
Coorec's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Hey folks
How widespread are encoder issues in keyboard?
If I buy a great condition preowned will I be able to see easily if it suffers from skipping

And if not how likely is it to be major issue in near future (home use only so not perfectionist )

Any feedback gratefully accepted
It is wide spread. But it is also an easy and very cheap fix. Iam on ipad so dont have the link to the fix available. But youll find it if you look for it.
Old 18th August 2017
  #455
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coorec View Post
It is wide spread. But it is also an easy and very cheap fix. Iam on ipad so dont have the link to the fix available. But youll find it if you look for it.
Thanks so much - not afraid to do a fix - was just worried was unfixable
Old 18th August 2017
  #456
Lives for gear
 
namnibor's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Hey folks
How widespread are encoder issues in keyboard?
If I buy a great condition preowned will I be able to see easily if it suffers from skipping

And if not how likely is it to be major issue in near future (home use only so not perfectionist )

Any feedback gratefully accepted
I have owned the Black Blofeld Keyboard for years and have yet to have one encoder issue.
What I have had from beginning is a very low output, no matter what I do to settings in sound design. For that reason, it's been more of an excellent keyboard controller for my Pulse 2.
Old 18th August 2017
  #457
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I have owned the Black Blofeld Keyboard for years and have yet to have one encoder issue.
What I have had from beginning is a very low output, no matter what I do to settings in sound design. For that reason, it's been more of an excellent keyboard controller for my Pulse 2.
Stupid question but is it low output for both headphones and outs or just output?
Old 18th August 2017
  #458
Deleted User
Guest
Weird, I have 3 Blofeld keys and none of them exhibited any low level issues.
Thought it was only the mini-me modules that had the issues with the low output,
but I guess not. (and my module does not have low level issues either.

My default gain structure
Up to 127 on oscillators but not sines as these run best 64-96
Filter gain 16-24 TUBE
Patch output 90/127 can go down depending on patch
Master Out 90/127 this is fixed at ~70% and is never touched.
As I run identical patches on all 4, it is critical that the System volume be exact,
as 1/127 of a total units is noticeable!


The worst distortion is the pre-filter type and annoys me to no end,
as in a tube synth, you get a soft-knee compression and many 2nd harmonics
rather than that square clip that sounds like garbage on a digital IMO.

even my Monotribes have a nice more harmonically pleasing distortion,
as it is transistor or IC clipping but analog none the less.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by namnibor View Post
I have owned the Black Blofeld Keyboard for years and have yet to have one encoder issue.
What I have had from beginning is a very low output, no matter what I do to settings in sound design. For that reason, it's been more of an excellent keyboard controller for my Pulse 2.
Old 1st November 2017
  #459
Deleted User
Guest
Niether: This only happens if the output resistor got blown out.
Usually from running a Headphone with too low an impedance.
At present I use a 50 omh 1990s Denon, but the higher impedance
headphones like a DT880 would work as well.




Quote:
Originally Posted by cici View Post
Stupid question but is it low output for both headphones and outs or just output?
Old 24th November 2017
  #460
Here for the gear
 

HI - anyone out there have Blofeld 1.23 firmware they could post?
Old 24th November 2017
  #461
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellis View Post
HI - anyone out there have Blofeld 1.23 firmware they could post?
I have it. Where do you want it posted?

j,
Old 24th November 2017
  #462
Deleted User
Guest
1.23 is actually older than the 1.22 rev2 version!
Old 4th April 2018
  #463
Gear Maniac
 
synthmaniac's Avatar
I love those wavetables, comb filters and modifiers...

Old 12th January 2019
  #464
Here for the gear
 
MSWaves's Avatar
 

Short ambient tune using the Boss RC 1 Looper and Strymon Big Sky

Old 9th May 2019
  #465
Gear Maniac
 

With the release of kyra will the blofeld go out of production?
Old 9th May 2019
  #466
Lives for gear
 
EvilDragon's Avatar
Probably not, Blofeld still sells well.
Old 9th May 2019
  #467
Gear Maniac
You'd have to drag my Blofeld from my cold, dead hands...
Old 2 weeks ago
  #468
Here for the gear
 

Hi guys, I am planning to buy a Blofled desktop and this ASM Hydrasynth just came out of nowhere.

How is Blofeld holding up compared to this new synth?
Old 2 weeks ago
  #469
Lives for gear
 
Jamie munro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by modalmojo View Post
Hi guys, I am planning to buy a Blofled desktop and this ASM Hydrasynth just came out of nowhere.

How is Blofeld holding up compared to this new synth?
here are some of my blofeld sounds plus a few in my sig, you decide





Old 2 weeks ago
  #470
Gear Addict
 

I'm selling 2 of my 3 Blokeys, but not because of the Hydrasynth.
With the remaining 1 module, 1 key and a module should be enough.
Old 1 week ago
  #471
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
here are some of my blofeld sounds plus a few in my sig, you decide





To my ears, Blofeld holds up very well after listening to most demos of the upcoming synths. Not only does Blofeld hold up very well, it sounds to me there is some mojo in the sound.

One reason may be due to the wavetables (from Waldorf's legacy synths) unique in Blofeld?

Also, being able to change the parameters on the fly using the matrix so easily with no audio interruption sounds like to me a strength of Blofeld, yes? I like this demo here:

https://youtu.be/4IJTKuVPnww?t=306

Such an ease of changing the parameters on the fly even couldn't be seen in new VA/Wavetable softsynth like Arturia Pigments which boasts a more complex synth architecture, am I right?

Thanks.
Old 1 week ago
  #472
Quote:
Originally Posted by modalmojo View Post
To my ears, Blofeld holds up very well after listening to most demos of the upcoming synths. Not only does Blofeld hold up very well, it sounds to me there is some mojo in the sound.

One reason may be due to the wavetables (from Waldorf's legacy synths) unique in Blofeld?

Also, being able to change the parameters on the fly using the matrix so easily with no audio interruption sounds like to me a strength of Blofeld, yes? I like this demo here:

https://youtu.be/4IJTKuVPnww?t=306

Such an ease of changing the parameters on the fly even couldn't be seen in new VA/Wavetable softsynth like Arturia Pigments which boasts a more complex synth architecture, am I right?

Thanks.
Well, that's one of the perks of hardware vs software.. Im sure Pigments sounds awesome when its got the latest and greatest multi-core CPU at 32bit/192Khz, etc.. The Blofeld is ALWAYS going to be the Blofeld no matter what. You know exactly what its capable of doing every single time you use it. There was ALOT of improvements along the way between the Microwave II and the Blofeld, a really really nice and long requested update was that we could finally use two of those wavetables at once! The Comb Filters from the Q, the extra oscillator, the filters, all of it. If you were used to the 'PPG sound' this was a whole new ballgame for it. The software stuff like Serum, Hive, Pigments, etc just added a whole new layer on top of that too. Haven't looked into everything the Quantam has available but I can only imagine what a more powerful CPU in a Blofeld 2 would do with all the changes that have come to wavetable synthesis since then!
Old 1 week ago
  #473
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
Well, that's one of the perks of hardware vs software.. Im sure Pigments sounds awesome when its got the latest and greatest multi-core CPU at 32bit/192Khz, etc.. The Blofeld is ALWAYS going to be the Blofeld no matter what. You know exactly what its capable of doing every single time you use it. There was ALOT of improvements along the way between the Microwave II and the Blofeld, a really really nice and long requested update was that we could finally use two of those wavetables at once! The Comb Filters from the Q, the extra oscillator, the filters, all of it. If you were used to the 'PPG sound' this was a whole new ballgame for it. The software stuff like Serum, Hive, Pigments, etc just added a whole new layer on top of that too. Haven't looked into everything the Quantam has available but I can only imagine what a more powerful CPU in a Blofeld 2 would do with all the changes that have come to wavetable synthesis since then!
Thanks for the info!

Any news on seeing a Blofeld 2 soon? Or just get a Blofeld for a potential big firmware update?

I have a noob question, are the Waldorf legacy wavetables exclusively found in Blofeld? Do other wavetable softsynths also have these wavetables?

Thanks!
Old 1 week ago
  #474
Quote:
Originally Posted by modalmojo View Post
Thanks for the info!

Any news on seeing a Blofeld 2 soon? Or just get a Blofeld for a potential big firmware update?

I have a noob question, are the Waldorf legacy wavetables exclusively found in Blofeld? Do other wavetable softsynths also have these wavetables?

Thanks!
You'll have to ask Waldorf about that but I doubt it considering the Blofeld is still flying off shelves like 12-13 years later.

Ive never seen another synth that used them, but that's not to say nobody has. I mean you can get a bank with the Prophet VS waveforms ready to load into the Microwave II so.. Copyright stuff might be involved though (notice nobody cares about the VS waves). Someone would literally have to dump the waves from the memory to copy them, and that's usually a no no. The Wavetables in the Blofeld are the entire Waldorf collection up to that point. Its all the wavetables from the PPG and Microwave series along with the 2 'Alt' wavetables from the Q series. The 'bonus' is you now get the Upper Waves from the PPG which weren't in the Microwaves (theyre in the Waldorf PPG plugin though..).
Old 1 week ago
  #475
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
You'll have to ask Waldorf about that but I doubt it considering the Blofeld is still flying off shelves like 12-13 years later.

Ive never seen another synth that used them, but that's not to say nobody has. I mean you can get a bank with the Prophet VS waveforms ready to load into the Microwave II so.. Copyright stuff might be involved though (notice nobody cares about the VS waves). Someone would literally have to dump the waves from the memory to copy them, and that's usually a no no. The Wavetables in the Blofeld are the entire Waldorf collection up to that point. Its all the wavetables from the PPG and Microwave series along with the 2 'Alt' wavetables from the Q series. The 'bonus' is you now get the Upper Waves from the PPG which weren't in the Microwaves (theyre in the Waldorf PPG plugin though..).
That is good to know, thanks for your advice!

I heard that Blofeld is a compatible controller for Largo due to the similar structure, is there auto mapping like the way the supported hardware synths react to Omnisphere 2.5? And is there a merit to control Largo by Blofeld?
Old 1 week ago
  #476
The Blofeld's parameters are mapped 1:1 with Largo's. I haven't found any yet that didnt move, but I haven't used Largo for anything since I got it other than to redo the patches I made with it on the Blofeld. I don't know about any auto-mapping.. The Largo is just set to use the same CC's the Blofeld does, they planned that from day 1. You can also use it the Blofeld for the most part with the Micro Q and Microwave as well. If you use Largo it would be fun to control it sure, but if you have a Blofeld, Largo is pretty redundant. It has a couple of features the Blofeld doesn't but they're not game changers and the two sound like 99.98% identical with one or two exceptions.
Old 1 week ago
  #477
Here for the gear
 

Thanks again, Monotremata!

I'm in the market for a 88-key weighted controller, are the controls on the Arturia KeyLab 88 mkII good enough for faster accessing other functions in Blofeld in addition to the matrix? If the Arturia isn't good enough, any recommendations please?
Old 1 week ago
  #478
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthmaniac View Post
I love those wavetables, comb filters and modifiers...

Sounds great.
Old 1 week ago
  #479
Lives for gear
 
robotunes's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro View Post
here are some of my blofeld sounds plus a few in my sig, you decide





Good stuff. Any external effects?
Old 1 week ago
  #480
Gear Maniac
 
synthmaniac's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario-C. View Post
Sounds great.
Thank you!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump