The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Synths for sale     Latest  Trending
Midi controller and module or midi controller and laptop/software?
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Maniac

Midi controller and module or midi controller and laptop/software?

Hi there. I'm trying to help my dad purchase a keyboard. He's a missionary in Africa and needs something with a decent feature-set, but he also has the problem of being... well... in Africa. So anyway, instead of dropping 2 grand on a keyboard that might get busted to bits, we decided it might be smarter to get a cheaper midi controller and a more expensive module. That way if someone breaks the keyboard, the module (which can always stay in a road case) won't be lost as well.

Anyway... right now we're looking at something like an M-Audio Axiom 61 and a Motif ES.

But then he mentioned that he would like a sequencer too. Well, the keyboards (like the Motif) have that built in, but not the modules... so I'd have to get something ELSE to function as a sequencer...

OR... I could get some software to do it all... function as the sound bank AND the sequencer, forgoing the module completely. He already has a laptop that could server as the host for the software.

This is primarily for live performance, btw, but may get used for some recording.

So my question is... what's the smarter move. Get a controller and a module and get something else (if so, what??) for sequencing.

Or buy a controller and some software that will server as a "module" and a "sequencer" in one?

If you think I should go the software route, what software would you recommend?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

WATYF
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

An Apple laptop running Logic Studio would give your dad a great set of sounds, great sequencer, and a good live performance environment for a very reasonable sum. A laptop is fairly easy to protect when you're overseas: they are small, the power supplies are pretty robust, and since relatively more people have them than have, say, sound modules, it's easier to get them serviced if they do need repair.

-synthoid
Old 24th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
An Apple laptop running Logic Studio would give your dad a great set of sounds, great sequencer, and a good live performance environment for a very reasonable sum. A laptop is fairly easy to protect when you're overseas: they are small, the power supplies are pretty robust, and since relatively more people have them than have, say, sound modules, it's easier to get them serviced if they do need repair.

-synthoid
+1
Old 16th May 2009
Here for the gear

I use mainstage with absynth 4 and massive for live shows and it's done me well. It's incredible what MIDI controllers can do. Especially the m-audio.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search