The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lets talk samplers!
Old 9th October 2007
Here for the gear
hello,
i had a lot of samplers like S1000, S3000, S6000, roland S760, EMU IIIXP and E6400, Triton sampler

and i sold them all !!!

for now , i have an old EMU III keyboard and it's WONDERFULL !!!! the best ever
Old 9th October 2007
YEp

I got one EIII keyboard too

+1thumbsup
Old 9th October 2007
I had an ESI4000, it had a nice almost analogue filtersound, but afwul DA conversion. It was kind of OK to program, but I got tired of always manually loading samples when I opened a new project. And it had really really bad timing when polophony exceeded 10 notes. I also had a Kurzweil K2600X, and though it had some really good sounds for the period it was made in, I found it very hard to programm.

I sold the lot and never missed those machines since using Kontakt. It's just so much more advanced then hardware.
Old 9th October 2007
TZk
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator View Post
if you have to take one out of this few...wich would you take and why????

Roland S 760
Ensoniq ASR 10
Emu Systems E4xt

for electronic music
Roland S760
1U, great sound and with the expansion board it is super, never failed me.
The sound of the S770 however is better IMO (apogee converters).
But only 16mb ram and so big !

The ASR10 has great effects and also nice sound ! Heavy and big.

The roland sample cd series are also killer !

Somebody should release a 1U sampler again... not a workstation with sampling, a sampler !
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineChemical View Post
I love how all the suckers in the music industry have switched over to soft-samplers. It makes all of our hardware toys depreciate in value and easier to get our grubby hands on!
I guess I'm a sucker. I'm not really interested in the "sound" of samplers, I just like... sampling. So for me, the soft-sample revolution was extremely beneficial. Y'know, open up the Macbook, get to work. Anywhere. I do a lot of work in cafes and public places, because i find it inspiring.

I used to use Akai samplers. I don't have any nostalgia for them. Clunky, small screens, etc. For me, Kontakt and MachFive are terrific because you can see everything you're doing.

Everybody's different.

c
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I guess I'm a sucker. I'm not really interested in the "sound" of samplers, I just like... sampling. So for me, the soft-sample revolution was extremely beneficial. Y'know, open up the Macbook, get to work. Anywhere. I do a lot of work in cafes and public places, because i find it inspiring.

I used to use Akai samplers. I don't have any nostalgia for them. Clunky, small screens, etc. For me, Kontakt and MachFive are terrific because you can see everything you're doing.

Everybody's different.

c
I do disagree with the sucker thing. Some people hated working on hardware and I understand why...
Akai, yes. I wouldn't take one for it's sonic abilities. I always thought of them as neutral but with an annoying brightness (until the 5000/6000 anyway)
Compare a Roland S-750/770 or EIII to anything soft and they sound way better to my ears. Fuller, richer, warmer even more musical. But this is in my world which is a different place to other people and this is where the argument ends really.
Old 9th October 2007
I like USER interface on Soft samplers

but sound sucks

My PPG and EIII samplers blow all soft samplers and most Hard samplers away!!!
Old 10th October 2007
The ASR-10 is a bang for the buck for it's intuitive interface alone. If you can get a rack unit, it comes with SCSI so loading and saving banks with a Jazz or Zip drive is a breeze. The rack unit also comes with 8 outs allowing you to channel your drum samples to it's own out for proper equalization on a mixer. I am surprised no one has mentioned its powerful effect section that has very unique and rare goodies like special filters, speaker emulations, distortion, compression, wah, pitch shift, and so many others in addition to reverb, delay, chorus, flange, phaser all with detailed parameters. Re-sampling through those effects is just plain fun IMO. It's conveters are not gritty, but do have a character on their own. It's sampling character is one that does not over-do it on the high end or the low end, it's a very plain sound allowing for equalization on all specturms. IMO, this is simply one of the best samplers out there by far.

Then again, isn't it the person behind the sampler and not the sampler itself?!?!?!?
Old 10th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siem View Post
I used to work with an Akai s3000xl, I liked the time-stretching function especially on vocals when you put the quality on low and the duration on 200-300%. After getting a coffee and a sandwich you'd have - t.h..a..aa...e..t - ultimate dirty drum 'n bass vocal sample. I've been thinking about getting an s3000xl (or one of the more recent models, if they have this feature) again especially for this, you don't hear this effect in modern dance tracks anymore. A big loss, if you'd ask me. I didn't like the interface on the Akai, it took a long time before I got my mind around it. ........
Siem, a friend of mine has an S2000 (10 outputs, spdif) for sale. condition: mint, box, manual etc. for a very reasonable price of course. It's actually in A'dam (in storage) I could find an old (but working) mac with scsi with recycle and the Akai software too. I also have two hardly used Zip drives plus plenty disks. (hardly used) Daisy chain with mac and S2000 was possible. PM me for info if interested, I'll hook you up.

I went over to the dark side myself. (software) I do use a Korg ES1 phrase sampler to feed my doepfer.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I like USER interface on Soft samplers

but sound sucks

My PPG and EIII samplers blow all soft samplers and most Hard samplers away!!!
The "sound" is the same as moving WAV or AIFF files around your DAW. These days, a sampler is just another form of digital audio editor. There is no inherent sound. There is a lack of a sound. That may be what you're responding to.

An EIII has a "sound." You find it pleasing. That's cool. Me, I have no romance for the "sound" of samplers. I just like moving audio around. Sampling is just a tool, a means to an end. Speaking only for myself here.

- c
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Voting the Roland as my favorite.... the EMU and the ASR both have their strenghts but the Roland just had the sound. Grab the S770 if you can, not sure why but the outputs sounded "thicker" to my ears and there's the added benefit of internal hard drive

just my 2 cents
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I had the S770 since it first come out in the early 90s for fuuck amount of money. Very expensive.
But the sound ... yummy !

I also like my K2000 too.
Both have a huge sound that it seems that is missing today.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

emax 1 for me cos of the sound, i dont care about the memory or lack of timestretch etc. Put it with a pc setup and use it that way. the best hands down for the sound V price.

a s/w sampler can take care of all the donkey work and memory intensive stuff, so buy an old hardware sampler only for the sound only. In my dream studio i'd have 8 emax racks and use each one for a different sound and some as drum modules
Old 10th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_forward View Post
I had E4 and S760 and I still have ASR10.

S760 has very powerful digital filters and sounds big and somewhat dirty. It sits nice in the mix but it has somewhat slow workflow. I sold it because I prefer my emax for dirty/fat sounds and ASR10 for cleaner sounds so there was no need for roland.

E4 has "artificial" analog sound that I just did not like at all. It is very hard to make sounds that sit well in the mix. Emu got its reputation with E2 and E3 series (analog filters) not with E4, which are in my opinion, far behind in sound. Both E2 (and EMAX1) and E3 are fantastic. E2/EMAX are very dirty and fat, E3 is cleaner and smoother, more hi-fi (but not very reliable).

ASR-10 is just great. It is not "that" dirty (unless in 30kHz mode), it has a special sound that is hard to describe. It does not change original sound that much, it just makes it a little bit more punchy and it fits great in the mix. It has also very fast and friendly interface.

ASR-10 is my choice!
I guess I never consciously noticed that about the ASR-10, but that is really true. Samples fit better into the mix with this thing. Now I have to get mine fixed, its been in the closet for 5 years
Old 10th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
The ASR-10 is a bang for the buck for it's intuitive interface alone. If you can get a rack unit, it comes with SCSI so loading and saving banks with a Jazz or Zip drive is a breeze. The rack unit also comes with 8 outs allowing you to channel your drum samples to it's own out for proper equalization on a mixer. I am surprised no one has mentioned its powerful effect section that has very unique and rare goodies like special filters, speaker emulations, distortion, compression, wah, pitch shift, and so many others in addition to reverb, delay, chorus, flange, phaser all with detailed parameters. Re-sampling through those effects is just plain fun IMO. It's conveters are not gritty, but do have a character on their own. It's sampling character is one that does not over-do it on the high end or the low end, it's a very plain sound allowing for equalization on all specturms. IMO, this is simply one of the best samplers out there by far.

Then again, isn't it the person behind the sampler and not the sampler itself?!?!?!?
I can say, once you get used to all of the error codes and crashes, this thing is truly fun to work with.
Old 10th October 2007
I hate that errors on ASR10R ERROR 113, error 149...
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

I honestly can't tell the difference between hw/sw samplers in a mix.

When A/B hw vs sw, make sure you use the same sample, same envelope settings, same *effects*, routed into the same audio bus and out the same speakers.
Old 11th October 2007
Quote:
Here's something that bugs the hell out of me. Propellerhead's Recycle. I was looking into its feature because I wanted to get something with HDMI support so I could scsi my ESI-4000 and transfer samples over that way instead of using the SPDIF all the time. Straight off of their website:

So... the still huge base of people that use hardware samplers just doesn't exist now?

yet another reason why i keep using my old software.
the annual upgrade cycle is madness.
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
yet another reason why i keep using my old software.
the annual upgrade cycle is madness.
Spot on.

Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisac View Post
The NI Kontakt, Mach5, Digis one, Es24, Halion are all ultra bloated and yet none of them offer what a samplist needs. Incredibly as far as I know you cannot sample in to a soft synth and that part of the process is the very process that can give you a creative spur because your using your ears not your eyes.
Just wanted to alert all of you to something that has really gotten me excited about Digi's sampler called Structure.

There is a FREE version you can grab too that is actually fairly useful still a bit buggy though.

Anyway, the difference with this soft sampler is that you can drag and drop regions into it from the edit window....and IT WORKS!

Dragging regions from the session into Structure changes the way I think about soft synths and it is a WONDEFUL feature. It does change things for me as far as inspiration.

For all the crap that Digi gets.......I got to say that Structure is actually IMPRESSIVE.

When I get a new faster computer I will def. consider getting the full blown version which is 450$.
Old 12th October 2007
Quote:
I hate that errors on ASR10R ERROR 113, error 149...
I have had my ASR-10 since 1994, always loading with the latest O.S. ver 3.5. I have NEVER had a crash or any error codes and my ASR. And it has a LOT of miles on it.

Old, bad or generic 3 inch floppies will give you an error. Using a Zip Drive has never given me problems. It's possible the RAM has gone bad, RAM doesn't last forever you know.
Old 13th October 2007
I had ASR back in 1994 and loed sound hated ERRORS..I sold it

and again befor 3 years bought another ASR 10R

I love it
Till now no problem
Old 16th October 2007
Gear Maniac
Emu e64 - nice snare sound. Softens the highs compared to the ultra. This is a really nice machine with eos 4.2. Affordable to the max, oldskool sound, but with modern editing. Really nice.

Emu e6400 ultra - nice gitty highend
Emu X2 - Clean

Love them all.

Sometimes I think about Akai, Not very much though.
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
E-Mu Samplers as a whole are the ****ing ****.

WORDthumbsup
Old 16th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
E-Mu Samplers as a whole are the ****ing ****.
Yes they are. Love em! If there were only a stable/effcient way to transfer samples between them and a Mac Pro though.... I have not used my E6400 Ultra since my G5 exploded and I had to upgrade to a Mac Pro. My old Adaptec 39160 wont fit into a PCIe slot and I'm not going to buy an ATTO SCSI>PCIe card that costs more than my E-MU.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
They have USB to SCSI adapters on eBay. That's what I use for sample transfers half the time. The other half, I just sample directly from the computer using S/PDIF.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Are you using a USB to SCSI adapter successfully on a Mac running Tiger (or more specifically, an Intel-based Mac)? If so, what specific brand and model of adapter you are using and what software are you using to do the SMIDI transfers?

Transferring a large bank of sounds (drumkits, full sampled keyboards, etc.) back & forth between my computer and my E-MU using S/PDIF isn't terribly efficient. Also, the digital I/O's of my audio interface are all in use by my outboard effects units and climbing behind the rack to swap cables every time I want to move something to or from the sampler kinda' kills my workflow.

-T
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Addict

I have tried on my g4 ppc successfully

however on my intel mac it does not work.

I think teknosmoker and I have been over this in the past.
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for trying to help out DivineChemical, but as lord toranaga stated, not much joy trying to get the USB>SCSI thing working on Intel Macs. He and I indeed chatted together about the situation on a sampler forum (emusonacid.co.uk I believe).

If i recall correctly, lord toranaga, you've got an old G4 tower with a few SCSI cards in it acting as a "sample server" for several hardware samplers. Hope things are going well with you.

I was just hoping that someone had finally found a way to get SMIDI running without an ATTO card on the current crop of Mac Pros.

Oh well...

-T
Old 17th October 2007
Gear Head

Anyone care to enlighten me on the differences between the roland s750/60/70 ?
can't find much about this...
Old 17th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturb View Post
Anyone care to enlighten me on the differences between the roland s750/60/70 ?
can't find much about this...
Here is what I think I know!
The 750 and 770 are basically the same. The 770 has a digital interface, balanced main outs on XLR and an internal hard drive.
RAM is 18 mb max on the S-750 and 16 mb max on the S-770 (because the 750 has 2mb ram built in whereas the 770 doesn't).
When buying an S-750 CHECK it has extra Ram. The RAM is cheap as chips, BUT you need an expansion board to move from 2MB up. If it doesn't have the board, I have no clue if you could find one anywhere.
They have BRILLIANT converters and are IMHO some of the best sounding samplers ever built. A trio I would call top rate are the Emulator III (not the later IIIx/E4/E64/6400 etc series I'm afraid), Fairlight III and S-750/770. I have worked on many samplers and these three are the daddies. I still have the S-750 and SP700 and my Series III fairlight. Alas, I no longer have an EIII but would love one. I do have an EII+ which is great, but the EIII is king of the EMUs The Roland having the big advantage amongst those 3 of being the most reliable and cheapest!
The S-760 can have 32mb ram and is a very nice sampler, but to my ears sounds different to the S-750. No idea why. Maybe different converters or whatever. It still sounds VERY good btw. I think for strings and such like, it's excellent, but the low end on the S-750/770 is deeper and more powerful. The S-760 can read Akai S-1000 disks via SCSI btw

There is a Turbo version of the S-750 (mine was upgraded by Roland) which gives it a faster processor I think for midi data and processing. In any case, the S-750 has about the best midi timing of any sampler.

The SP700 is a playback version of the S-750/770 but has 32 meg ram, 4 stereo outputs (the 750 has 2 stereo and 6 mono) and can read Akai but has no Mouse control or RGB output. Sounds like the S-750/770. Great as an S-750 expander.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear