The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Allen and Heath drum machine, samples Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Nut

Allen and Heath drum machine, samples

Anyone got samples of this rare machine? Its called "Inpulse One", made in the 80s.

I know Ensoniq samplers used to have them... Anyone care to do me a big favour...?

Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/ah-brennell_impulse.cfm

Allen & Heath Brenell Inpulse One - Specifications, pictures, prices, links, reviews and ratings
Richard Kilpatrick (synthsite(a)dmc12.demon.co.uk)
"If you have one, please email me (correcting my email address in the obvious way) - I am desperate to track down other users and to obtain some sample tapes. I can obtain new ROMs for broken machines. "

if you sample the AHB I1
please do so with a good soundcard "lynx l22 hopefully", please
that couldbe the misterious drummachine im also looking
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...hine-also.html

i have verry good samples to trade
recorded with motu2408mk2
alesis hr.16:b
roland r-70
yamaha ry-30 + two soundcards "House & Rap" "Dance & Soul"
LinnDrum LM-2 + some additional chips

thanks
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/articles/retrozone.htm

Allen & Heath Inpulse One (Retrozone)

1 inpulse 1 for sale::
Used Inpulse 1 :: Allen and Heath For Sale - Solaris

ALLEN & HEATH // WORLD CLASS MIXERS

pictures !!!
Untitled Page
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Teus View Post
Anyone got samples of this rare machine? Its called "Inpulse One", made in the 80s.
I know Ensoniq samplers used to have them... Anyone care to do me a big favour...?
do you know exctly what ensonic sampler ?
www.vintagesynth.org

do you know if was in the original disks ? or was kidnepro or other 3rd party disk sample maker ?

P.S.
it would verry easy to create a disk image,
with chykensystems translator or omniflop
and translate to a usable format like soundfont2, .sf2 etc...
with awave or chikensystem translator
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

found original disk images of the ensoniq asr10 "A1S0R"

ASR 10 & EPS 16 Plus
ASR-Werksdisketten (alle EDE-Format):
Disk 1 ( 1.2 MB ) Disk 2 ( 1.5 MB )
Disk 3
( 1.3 MB ) Disk 4 ( 1.5 MB )
Disk 5
( 1.3 MB ) Disk 6 ( 1.4 MB )
Disk 7
( 1.3 MB ) Disk 8 ( 1.3 MB )

awave
FMJ-Software - Home of Awave-family, Image Eye, Any Image, StarStrider, Chromatia & CleanDisk
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

http://www.syntaur.com/asr-fd.html

Ensoniq ASR-10, ASR-88, EPS-16 Plus, EPS, TS-10 & TS-12 Sounds and Samples on Floppy Disk

The factory library Ensoniq created for the EPS
The factory library Ensoniq created for the EPS-16
The factory library Ensoniq created for the ASR-10
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Nut

ok, thanks for responding... The samples can be found on an original ASR10 disk, used to have it but don't anymore...

Do you have samples of those drum machines you listed or do you also have those of the Inpulse One?
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

does anyone have any samples of this thing? it's apparently the main drum machine (other than the 808) used on all of the mid 80s bill nelson records (love that whirls, chimera, all the trial by intimacy "black albums", etc.). it seems to be exceedingly rare but has a unique sound.

SOS article on it:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug0.../retrozone.htm
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

lol @ the first 7 posts.
Old 29th April 2011
ooh, SMPTE.
Old 29th April 2011
Lives for gear

Give it to meeee !

WT
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut
I have one of these machines. I posted a long post, but it got moderator-queued...
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut
And it seems that wanting to link you guys to samples, history and so forth just isn't going to happen.
Old 25th April 2014
Lives for gear

That's just because your account is new and big first posts with a lot of links have a high probability to be spam. I think it will be OK if you post some other comments, or send a private message to user Don Solaris who is a pretty hands-on moderator. I certainly look forward to learning and hearing more about it, so thanks for joining in!
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut
So all I can suggest is Google "Geextreme" and "Inpulse One". If you have a Teenage Engineering OP-1 there's a nice thing for you on the page too.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anigbrowl View Post
That's just because your account is new and big first posts with a lot of links have a high probability to be spam. I think it will be OK if you post some other comments, or send a private message to user Don Solaris who is a pretty hands-on moderator. I certainly look forward to learning and hearing more about it, so thanks for joining in!
Well, I hope the original post is picked up soon - any attempt to link, even with the sharer, is moderated and I'd put something long together, partly out of respect for the original manufacturer's copyrighted material that I'm linking - but also to explain that this has been on my mind for 13 years+, it's good to get something more out there for people.
Old 25th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma View Post
does anyone have any samples of this thing? it's apparently the main drum machine (other than the 808) used on all of the mid 80s bill nelson records (love that whirls, chimera, all the trial by intimacy "black albums", etc.). it seems to be exceedingly rare but has a unique sound.
I wrote that article - there are a couple of small errors, for some reason the Movement Drum Computer is called a Larking Movement Drum Computer - perhaps Larking was an owner credited in images I found or similar; Simon Jones should be Simon Bohanon for which I can only assume I misheard, or miswrote a name.

Bill Nelson used the Inpulse One on Getting The Holy Ghost Across (Blue Wings for American market?), the earlier electronica predates the Inpulse which is a curious machine and sits out of place - the technology looks like 1970s home computers, pre-VLSI and custom chipsets, but it wasn't released until 1985. So much of the Inpulse One's cleverness is not the electronic model, which many machines could offer, but in the mechanical arrangement of a fully integrated, expandable unit which could be played with drumsticks and sensed velocity. The sequencer is very pleasant to use though.
Old 26th April 2014
Lives for gear

From the SOS article:

"The human feel (or 'Scatter') option is crude by modern standards, but the high-resolution quantising results in versatile sequences with easily manipulated dynamics."

Scatter?!

Interesting.....
Old 26th April 2014
Gear Nut
Again, I can't link (FFS!) but if you go to Allen & Heath's website you can see the manual for the Inpulse One under the downloads - it's a PDF image so I can't cut & paste the relevant text, sorry. Page 18 covers the Human Feel (Scatter) function. FWIW, the whole manual on programming may interest drum machine users.

Current project is to dump the EPROMs, make copies and keep ROM images for archival purposes - I will probably burn my own OTP EPROMs to minimise degredation of new images.
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
AHB Inpulse One Resources | geextreme.com

The Allen & Heath Brenell Inpulse One Drum Computer, from 1985, sold a small number of units.
At last! Okay guys, there you go. That page has history, pictures, samples and sound data to load into the real Inpulse One, if you've got one.

Copyright belongs to A&H and so forth, fair use (I have permission from Allen & Heath to distribute these, btw) - don't be nicking my work saving these, and someone else's work creating them 30 years ago, to put into commercial sample collections, 'k? You can also listen to the sounds directly on the page if you just want to hear what it was like; recordings are completely clean - Inpulse to MG10 to Mac, no EQ or anything. The Inpulse One's outputs are ridiculously clean, terrifyingly so; when you see the PSU and grounding inside the machine and compare it to some cheap VLSI crap from the same era, or even Akai/Ensoniq samplers, you'll know why.

And PLEASE, if anyone has a machine and has sample tapes - send me recordings, send me tapes... let's complete that archive.

For bonus geekery - who is good with digital file formats? Anyone reckon they can make a NEW sample for it, or convert one to a .TAP file in the right format to load into this?
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardTK View Post
The Inpulse One's outputs are ridiculously clean, terrifyingly so; when you see the PSU and grounding inside the machine and compare it to some cheap VLSI crap from the same era, or even Akai/Ensoniq samplers, you'll know why.
Internally it reminds me a lot of my 360 Systems Digital Keyboard, which has banks upon banks of EPROMs loaded with samples and enormous power supply caps, and was a similar failure from the same time period.
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
Internally it reminds me a lot of my 360 Systems Digital Keyboard, which has banks upon banks of EPROMs loaded with samples and enormous power supply caps, and was a similar failure from the same time period.
Sounds like they might be similar concepts, in that the circuitry is very much "Electronics Today, let's explore digital and computers!" simplicity taken to insane levels - i.e. a sample playback circuit, let's put in 8! That kind of thing. The 360 looks like a monster, does it sound good?
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like they might be similar concepts, in that the circuitry is very much "Electronics Today, let's explore digital and computers!" simplicity taken to insane levels - i.e. a sample playback circuit, let's put in 8! That kind of thing. The 360 looks like a monster, does it sound good?
Yeah I mean the 360 was basically conceived as a digital Mellotron and marketed to composers and studios…it was not a cheap system, you spent around $3500 for the base keyboard, then bought sounds a la carte for $100-800-ish (more detailed sounds used many EPROM with a sample per key…some of them were not as detailed though and it would interpolate), plus you'd need to buy daughter boards that you could stack to load even more sounds…it could access up to 16 sounds. . It could also layer, double, and split patches. Each EPROM had 9 bit samples custom made by 360 using a proprietary converter, with a CEM 3320 filter per voice. Like the A&H, it also teeter-tottered on the availability of MIDI…so early units did not have factory MIDI. Mine has 14 sounds spread across 3 boards (each board fit 48 EPROMs) and factory MIDI…probably cost close to $5000 new in 1980s money…I bought it second hand a couple years ago for much less as "broken." All in all I am told they made less than 400 of them.

As it turns out, when you move it, because there are circuit boards stacked all up inside it, and all of those socketed EPROMs, when you move it you run the risk of getting a bad connection and needing to reseat things…this causes very strange behavior in the unit. I've gotten most of the bugs out of the unit, the only thing left in my restore is to put new key bushings in (Pratt Reed style), replace the switching output jacks, and swap the mod and pitch wheels (for some reason the mod wheel was installed with a center detent while the pitch wheel was not…factory error??? For a long time I thought this thing had a tuning issue until a lightbulb went off and I said "wait a minute…").

Physically it reminds me a bit of Oberheims from that era, and if I recall correctly, they were neighbors or friends or something of that sort, so they may have shared some things. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oberheim Prommer was able to write EPROMs to this machine, but according to 360 Systems, they had their own proprietary converter and this would not work. 360 Systems also made a couple small MIDI Bass units that you could load like 3 or 4 EPROMs with bass samples (typically SEM, Mini, Fretted, Upright…but I believe they sold others) and play with an external MIDI controller.

This guy remains an odd-ball in my studio. It does sound pretty good for what it is, some sounds are better than others (particularly the piano, which is 48 EPROMs in and of itself, so it obviously sounds better than the patches that only occupy a few EPROMs)…but it obviously doesn't hold a candle to software. It actually sounds surprisingly hifi for 9 bit samples, not like the Mellotron it intended to replace.

From the odd sounds I've heard when these thing is "misbehaving," one part of me would love to circuit bend this thing…I think it would truly become weird…or broken…in the process.
Old 10th July 2017
Gear Nut
Still vaguely hoping to find more tapes for this - my own machine has now expired, so I bought a Nord Drum 3P for the meantime and will be stripping and rebuilding the Inpulse One.

I've put together a Novation Circuit kit for the sounds I have, if anyone cares I will link it
Old 11th July 2017
I care!

I'm intrigued - please share the link!

All best,

proftea
Old 23rd May 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
For bonus geekery - who is good with digital file formats? Anyone reckon they can make a NEW sample for it, or convert one to a .TAP file in the right format to load into this?
I have done this a few times before, but with more technical information to go on. Still, I'm super curious, so if you want to PM me and send me more info and files, I'll try to take a stab at it in a not-guaranteed-to-be-timely fashion.

The difficulty is also compounded by not actually possessing one.
Old 13th January 2019
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin1916 View Post
I have done this a few times before, but with more technical information to go on. Still, I'm super curious, so if you want to PM me and send me more info and files, I'll try to take a stab at it in a not-guaranteed-to-be-timely fashion.

The difficulty is also compounded by not actually possessing one.
Well, not too timely is... an interesting concept given how long since I logged in!

I can send the recordings of the tapes that loaded files in/saved audio files - in fact, I should already have those hosted somewhere.

My machine remains very broken, sadly, and I don't know if I'll ever have the time and resorces to have it restored properly - but maybe one day.

In the meantime, I'm wondering about all these circuit-recreation VSTs and how difficult it would be to make a virtual Inpulse One (not a sample player, but an actual recreation of the signal paths based on the boards/schematics).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search