The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drum Machine with most individual outputs? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Drum Machine with most individual outputs?

Is there a realistic sounding drum machine available with separate output for kick and then another seperate output for snare and then another for hihat?

Also is ther an electronic drum kit with the same thing?

Thanks,
Woods
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hi

If you want realistic drum sounds you can forget the real drummachines (808,909) They have lots of separate outs.

A Sampler would be better, the only one I know is Machinedrum and MC 505, which have sample capability and a step sequencer. Also Korg has some samplers with step sequencer, called Electribes.

On a sampler you can load any sound you want and fire it up. Machinedrum has also lots of outs.

You can also get yourself an MPC for drum programming, also lots of outs.

There is always the way to buy a Midi Drum Kit, on which you drum and trigger a samplers sound. For this purpose check out BFD or Battery as a sampler. Don't know much about those midi drum kits myself though.

Greets Christian
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Roland R8, or even better - the R8 mkII.
Old 12th September 2007
Elektron Machinedrum
Elektron Machinedrum website

Don't know if it qualifies as "realistic" though, but neither does the R8 IMO.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdigits View Post
Hi
A Sampler would be better, the only one I know is Machinedrum and MC 505, which have sample capability and a step sequencer. Also Korg has some samplers with step sequencer, called Electribes.

mc-505 doesn't sample, and DOESN'T sound realistic...i own one. and on top of that you can't assign the drum parts to different outputs. what the hell are you smoking?

dude, if you want realistic drums with lots of outs, go cop yourself a mpc and some drum sample libraries.

better yet, skip the outboard gear and grab BFD from fxpansion.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

LINN DRUM 13outs
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

BATTERY 3
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Elektron Machinedrum

+1 there's nothing better!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

I need something I can play physically.

What about the electronic drum kits? The kind I have seen pictures of where the drummer is actually sitting on a stool with sticks in hand and playing like a real drum kit.

Do they have separate outputs for each pice - output for snare, OP for kick etc. etc.?

Can you upload real samlpes - like the BFD from fxpansion or other plugin samples?

Thanks
Woods
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post

mc-505 doesn't sample, and DOESN'T sound realistic...i own one. and on top of that you can't assign the drum parts to different outputs. what the hell are you smoking?

dude, if you want realistic drums with lots of outs, go cop yourself a mpc and some drum sample libraries.

better yet, skip the outboard gear and grab BFD from fxpansion.

Haha..I indeed smoked some fine maroccean last night

I must have thought about another thing..whatever..my other thoughts were right on the spot!

Greets

Christian
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post

What about the electronic drum kits? The kind I have seen pictures of where the drummer is actually sitting on a stool with sticks in hand and playing like a real drum kit.

Do they have separate outputs for each pice - output for snare, OP for kick etc. etc.?

Can you upload real samlpes - like the BFD from fxpansion or other plugin samples?

Thanks
Woods
i have the roland v-drums with the td-20 (newer) brain. it sounds great; don't waste your time with the older td-10, regardless of the deal you strike for one. it sounds like a toy by comparo. both boxes have individual outputs. td-20 also has sp-dif doubling the mains out. it does some fantastic drum sounds (think of the sound of shania's "up" record; it's pretty much there (or close enough by my measure)), and also slaughters the 808/909 kits wholesale. although i've always lusted after a 909 to have in the studio, as much for the way it looks and feels as for anything else, i can't justify it because my v-drums do its sound to a "t".

also, you can by just the td-20 brain and use your keyboard to sequence it as a sound module; don't need to spend several grand on an entire drum kit.

good luck with the search!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Can other 3rd party vendor sound libraries be ued in the Roland TD20 brain?
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Well, Alesis Andromeda - 16 out's.

I use it as an analog drum machine, and use it's 16 out's to that effect.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

alesis dm5
Alesis :: DM5

but, i would choose a core2duo >2ghz >t7200 laptop winxp sp2 with a verry good soundcard that has verry good asio drivers & AD/DA converters & wordclock
rme fireface800/400, emu 1616m, motu, m-audio, etc...

and v-sampler + more plugins + novation remote sl + akai or m-audio midi drum pads
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:

Thanks
Woods
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...questions.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...wbie-help.html
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxy View Post
alesis dm5
Alesis :: DM5
+1

It has realistic sounds and 4 outputs. It also have trigger inputs for drum pads.

The Monomachine, in my oppinion, can be hard to sound realistic but it's a hell of a drum machine anyway!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt View Post
Elektron Machinedrum

I own both the R8 mkII and a MD. The R8 is FAR more realistic sounding.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Anybody know first hand how much the newer alesis dm 5 pro outperforms the older dm 5??

Thanks,

Woods
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anybody know first hand how much the newer alesis dm 5 pro outperforms the older dm 5??

Thanks,

Woods
There is no DM5 pro module, at least no one that I'm aware of!

Alesis have a kit they call DM5 pro kit, maby that's what you'we heard? It consists of a DM5 module plus some triggerpads.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

How about an MPC with the 8-out board, then you can get the R8 etc. libraries in sample CD's..... this is a no-brainer. I don't see why anyone would by a drum machine these days instead of a sampler. This is why you don't see that many drum machines being released these days.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

Can samplers be triggered by electronic drums such as the HArt Dynamics or the Alesis kits?

Thanks
Woods
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can other 3rd party vendor sound libraries be ued in the Roland TD20 brain?
no, but it does have an as-yet-unused expansion card slot.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
+1

It has realistic sounds and 4 outputs. It also have trigger inputs for drum pads.

The Monomachine, in my oppinion, can be hard to sound realistic but it's a hell of a drum machine anyway!
i'm partial to the dm pro. very similar, any case.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Can samplers be triggered by electronic drums such as the HArt Dynamics or the Alesis kits?

Thanks
Woods
using midi, yes.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Alesis SR-16. I bought this thing when it was first released and they are still selling them. It must hold some sort of record for longest selling drum machine in history.

Anyway, it's got pads that you can play and 4 outputs. You can route individual instruments to individual outputs. It doesn't have 1000s of sounds and the sound editing capabilities are very limited but it can get the job done.

The D4s or DM5s as mentioned by others have many more sounds but don't have the pads. You would probably be better off getting one of those and something like the Trigger Finger or an MPD16.
Old 13th September 2007
Gear Addict

what about a roland SPD-s Sampling drum pad.

it samples and you can play it with sticks
Old 14th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lord toranaga View Post
what about a roland SPD-s Sampling drum pad.

it samples and you can play it with sticks
yeah, they have one in the shop here. you use one?
de rubber pads ( & rims ) feel nice. much better than the hard plastic of the other rolands..
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

While only semi-realistic (poor samples IMHO) the Yamaha RX-5/RX-7 has like 12 outputs.
Old 16th September 2007
Lives for gear

linn 9000? 18 outs I think....

8bit

call bruce @Forat electronics(google em) for the answer to all drum machine questions new or old.IF YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DRUM MACHINE THAT IS.

One of the best organic uses of drum programming is on Micheal Penn's "march "album..circa 1987.Mac se30/Motu Pformer triggering an akai s900.They made their entire sample library from scratch.Mix by Bob Clearmountain and Susan Rogers.You would not believe it wasn't a drummer.

just my 2 cents if you like organic acoustic pop tune production.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search