The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
In the market for a keyboard/synth Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Head

In the market for a keyboard/synth

Interested in both learning about playing the keys (music theory) and electronic music production (composing). Im looking for a new peice of equipment so I can work with the pricey stuff just not the super high end stuff. I like funky warm basses and i also like the real techy stuff. One of my mentors pointed me toward a nord any opinions about those? Im shopping so any advise would help thanks
Old 11th September 2007
Yes, Nord Lead is one possibility.
Others are Waldorf Q, Alesis Andromeda, Access Virus, Poly Evolver Keyboard, or older units like Yamaha AN1x, JD-800 or similar.

All different beasts, try listening to as many as possible.
It's a matter of taste, basically.
Old 11th September 2007
nord's are nice. good catalog of sounds to work with as well.
play with as many synths as you can before buying. thumb thru the presets & tweak some knobs to see what theyre capable of.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

nords are awesome. NL2X is a great synth. easy to tweak and get your head around and just a nice sound really. a classic that never gets tired.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

I would recommend you a used Virus C...very very versatile synth.
Old 12th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dont View Post
Interested in both learning about playing the keys (music theory) and electronic music production (composing).

I love my Nordlead2, but you are looking at a 4 part multi-timbral virtual analog synth with no sequencer, effects, drums or sample loop capability. (the nords do have analog drum kits) It's very much a synth you ADD to an existing set-up.

For a synth: If you have a decent computer, I would recommend purchasing a USB controller keyboard and program called REASON by Propellerheads. Reason offers you multiple use of different virtual analog synthesizers and samplers not to mention a cool drum machine, step sequencers, sample loop capability and the list goes on.

For composition: Reason's sequencer is a breeze to use and would be very valuable to you as a composition tool, especially for electronic music. It also integrates seamlessly into a Protools environment, as it is quickly becoming an industry standard.

The program is overall very "techy", as requested, with the ability to patch cables where ever you want through virtual CV and so on. It is simply one of the best music programs I have ever seen without having to go into something fairly complicated and expensive like Logic Pro 7.

If Reason is not an option, I would look for a workstation type synthesizer that can give you the options you are looking for.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post

I love my Nordlead2, but you are looking at a 4 part multi-timbral virtual analog synth with no sequencer, effects, drums or sample loop capability. (the nords do have analog drum kits) It's very much a synth you ADD to an existing set-up.

For a synth: If you have a decent computer, I would recommend purchasing a USB controller keyboard and program called REASON by Propellerheads. Reason offers you multiple use of different virtual analog synthesizers and samplers not to mention a cool drum machine, step sequencers, sample loop capability and the list goes on.

For composition: Reason's sequencer is a breeze to use and would be very valuable to you as a composition tool, especially for electronic music. It also integrates seamlessly into a Protools environment, as it is quickly becoming an industry standard.

The program is overall very "techy", as requested, with the ability to patch cables where ever you want through virtual CV and so on. It is simply one of the best music programs I have ever seen without having to go into something fairly complicated and expensive like Logic Pro 7.

If Reason is not an option, I would look for a workstation type synthesizer that can give you the options you are looking for.

true,

run before u can fly...
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

to start?

to start ?
to learn about analog synthesis:
reading the original arp2600 manual its the right thing to do
free on the web
Index of /midi/arp
electro-music.com :: View topic - Arp 2600 Manual
Matrixsynth: ARP 2600 Owner's Manual - To PDF or Not to PDF

purchasing a novation remote 61 sl + a pedal,
that midi controller gives flexibility, freedom and power
Novation Music :: Home

software ?
to start learning about what you have read in the arp2600 owners manual

the free software Resolution Audio Software - Index axs v4 for windows
http://www.resolutionaudio.nl/Files/...ows_Beta_4.zip

and free rebirth 338 v201 The ReBirth Museum

to learn how to record & mix audio + midi with software, download the free video
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...l-rus-eng.html

to learn about instruments history ::
www.vintagesynth.org

to demo test other synths ?
Arturia | Home
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : Home
KVR: Virtual Instruments, Virtual Effects, VST Plugins, Audio Units (AU), DirectX (DX), Universal Binary Compatibility - Audio Plugin News, Reviews and Community

soundcard ? any good soundcard with powerfull asio drivers and good wordclock
lynx studio L22 or RME HDSP9632

if need a cheaper soundcard for laptop, pcmcia , firewire or usb
M-AUDIO

to know more about AD/DA
http://audio.rightmark.org

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search