The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase Audio Conversion
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

Cubase Audio Conversion

Hello all,

Awhile back I posted a thread asking about converting audio from 16 bit to 24 bit- the general consensus was that it didn't affect, change, or improve the audio in anyway. Well, one of my first projects in cubase was creating at 16 bit and I am exporting files in the way of stems to be sent to another studio to get mixed. When exporting these files I went a head changed the bit rate to 24. I realize this doesn't improve the audio quality but my question is does it have any adverse effects or damage the audio in anyway? Bassically, I took a song with 48 tracks at 16 bit, bounced them down to 8 tracks at 24 bit to get mixed...when I re-open the tracks in cubase the are clicky/poppy in the intro but don't seem to affect the audio once the track starts...is this because I changed the bit rate? Does anybody work in cubase? thanks a bunch!

peace,
-a

MySpace.com - the bidding war - - Electronica / Rock / Disco House - www.myspace.com/thebiddingwar
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

you tell me

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ma-vs-ape.html

i did a similar test to know what codec was better, .mpc to me sounds best, and to rmaa5.5 tests looks the more similar to lossless

your question its similar,

if your original file its 16bit, importing it as 24/32-bit, logic says that cannot affect/improove

i did some imports 16-bit and bounces 16-bit with nuendo 2.2 and sonar le "4", andadobe audition,and others

also tested with a simple file comparation utility:
original imported file vs. bounced file, no effects, just bounced the imported file
input was not equal as output,
but audio was OK when analized in rightmark5.5

softwares are not perfect, so its better to veryfy
with a tool like http://audio.rightmark.org

you tell me
Old 10th September 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for the response...

I will check out the link.

as far as the conversion- as long as there is no damage or loss to the audio quality, then I should be good to go!

peace,
-a
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Converting the file from 16 to 24 bit will not improve the sound of the file itself.

Exporting the mix in 24 bit is beneficial, even if the source files individually are 16 bit... This is because as soon as you even move a fader, the signal is coverted to some higher precision math (I think it's 32 bit float) and stays in high precision until the output is truncated to 24 bit at export. That's why you have to add dither even though you're mixing from 24 bit files to a 24 bit stereo mix.

Check out the posts by Paul Frindle on these concepts. He's given the subject a lot of though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search