The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
little phaty
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

little phaty

anyone no why 90% of the preset patches on the moog little phatty are out of tune...is this typical of analog moog synths or am i missing something here
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Have allowed time for the LP to warm up? (around 15 minutes).

Also have you tried the Auto tune / calibration routine? it's in the menu section.

Is your unit a tribute or stage version?

Speak to Amos at Moog Music, all should be fine.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

No tuning issues with my Tribute Edition.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

First of all, I still don't see the real point in using pre-made factory presets. Kinda silly when you're buying a flexible analogue synth that's easy to edit.

The LP has some tuning features that the Voyager doesn't, but I do know that the oscilators on the Voyager drift just a bit, and some presets need to be tweaked on occasion.

Keep in mind that EVERY analogue synth is temperature sensitive. It's just the way it is. I generally keep a tuner beside my Moog just to check it on occasion.

I need to drag my Moog to Amos for a tuning in a month or two.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

first of all nobody said anything about programming sounds or using factory presets....its a tuning question....stay focused there mr synth programmer
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Ok, better answer. Sorry about that.
I'd figure that most of the patches are made at the factory in Asheville, NC. Of course the synth is fine tuned before it ships out, and those patches are probably 'right' then. If you send the Phatty to New Mexico or even Maine then the humidity and temperature change, and so the tuning changes.
I only played the phatty for a few minutes at the Moog factory, and it was nice, and I didn't have a chance to check out it's tuning scheme.
All I can figure is that your second oscillator has drifted a bit. On brass and other patches, it's just going to sound a bit out without you retuning each patch by a cent or two.
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

thanks !!!!! good info
Old 9th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
No tuning issues with my Tribute Edition.
Nor do I.

Michael
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Have you run the Autocalibration?
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

MY LP Stage is usually a tad sharp when I first turn it on, but within 15-20 minutes it tunes nicely. I haven't had to run the auto calibration once yet, but I would suggest using it if you are concerned about this.

When I've needed to use it while it was still slightly out of tune, adjusting the fine tune control slightly usually does the trick as I've never experienced the Oscs drifting seperately. Only had her a few months though.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

You can tune across a span of keys, or you can tune an individual key. My phatty was squealing on OSC2 on Note c3, the individual note calibration worked perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modistylee View Post
MY LP Stage is usually a tad sharp when I first turn it on, but within 15-20 minutes it tunes nicely. I haven't had to run the auto calibration once yet, but I would suggest using it if you are concerned about this.

When I've needed to use it while it was still slightly out of tune, adjusting the fine tune control slightly usually does the trick as I've never experienced the Oscs drifting seperately. Only had her a few months though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search