The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need suggestions for hardware sampler for live application Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Need suggestions for hardware sampler for live application

I'm helping an artist I produced put together her live show, and we need to find a decent hardware sampler that the keyboard player can use to play some phrases and loops that will be taken from the record. It doesn't have to be real fancy, just something with a decent amount of memory and that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

as far for playing loops and phrases, i think no sampler can beat a mpc2500 for live use...
you can fast and easily change from one scene to another (sequences in mpc terms) and by a push of a button you can start and stop the loops (in a ableton live style)...

i never thought about doing live gigs, but as sonn as i got my mpc it changed my mind completely...

my 50dollars....
Old 8th September 2007
HJK
Gear Head

Akai MPC-500, MPC-1000 or earlier model?

You may find a cheap Yamaha SU-700 sampler or maybe you could use some of the older Roland groove samplers like the SP-808 or a MC-909..

Something real simple is the Roland SP-303 or SP-404, but they are very basic.
Old 8th September 2007
i was a drummer in a band doing the same type of thing you describe. if its simple stuff off the record def go for sp-404 or if you dont need much memory sp-303. unless you need to really sequence complex stuff the mpcs are overkill and not as good for live use. The rolands are setup for tweaking live.
Old 8th September 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Cool, thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.
Old 12th September 2007
I have used my ASR-10r in the studio for over 12 years now. The keyboard version hosts 8 part multi-timbral capability with the ability to access part easily from the front pannel with the touch of a button. I would recommend finding one with the SCSI option installed for easy access to sounds via a SCSI Jazz or Zip drive. It can also load sounds while you are playing. It is easy to use live and sounds great.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Akai S-5000/6000 or the Z-4/8 series gets my vote. Easy to use, powerful, can hold of lot of loops. Good organization, removable faceplates, multiple outs, USB connectivity, WAV formats, SCSI, etc...

They do everything you'd want in a sampler, and they are cheap.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I'm helping an artist I produced put together her live show, and we need to find a decent hardware sampler that the keyboard player can use to play some phrases and loops that will be taken from the record. It doesn't have to be real fancy, just something with a decent amount of memory and that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?
mpc1k, sp303 or sp404
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I use the Yamaha rs7000 for live use, great sampler with lots of FX and filters on it.
Rock solid, never ever crashed.
Has a sort of recycle function in it where it can cut the loops and adjust it to a different tempo.
You can get them really cheap second hand these days.

Puts any sampler or mpc to shame.

Yamaha Corporation of America - RS7000

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search