The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha KX88
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

Yamaha KX88

I have aquired this dinosaur mostly because the action is the best I have found. Unfortunately I don't have a manual and the programming is pretty archaic and a bit complicated. I'd like to hook it up to my mac and use it in Logic. Anyone know about these things?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

I just bought one too. You can get the manual online at Yamaha, I believe. Google it.

I'm just waiting on a power cord. Let me know when you find out.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Search Results : Yamaha Manual Library

Just type "kx88" into the search box and hit return then a download link will appear.

Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roelando8 View Post
I have aquired this dinosaur mostly because the action is the best I have found. Unfortunately I don't have a manual and the programming is pretty archaic and a bit complicated. I'd like to hook it up to my mac and use it in Logic. Anyone know about these things?
I have a Yamaha kx88, I bought it used.

I took it to a certified yamaha repair shop to get the felt replaced along with the internal battery.

If you are playing the keys with some force and you hear a clacking sound then you need to get the felt replaced. I would suggest doing the same for the internal battery as well.

One thing to note however when getting the felt replaced is that Yamaha no longer manufactures the correct size for the felt.

So whoever is replacing the felt has to cut it so that it fits properly. Basically it requires an hour or two of extra labor because they have to tailor the felt to fit the machine.

Another important thing to note is that if you are going to program the kx88 its done in hex decimal form, which is very terse.

After i got the felt replaced I was very happy. it has superior action, some people might complain that its too heavey but it feels like a grand piano.

I believe the kx88 , roland a80 and a90 all use the same oil dampening system
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Nut

wow those look sweet....i was gonna get a fatar or a cme, but i think im gonna try and find one of those instead...off to ebay.
Old 13th September 2007
Here for the gear

Man....I think I got the bastard programmed right I just can't get Logic to pick it up. I suspect it's the m audio interfdace I am using.I should have known better than to buy anything with that name on it.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear
Anyone have any thoughts about how it compares to the Kurzweil MidiBoard? I'm partial to the look of the latter b/c it's got space to put stuff on top of it, but have never played one. My bro's got the kx88 and it's superb. heavier than an elephant, but really posh!
Old 14th March 2010
Here for the gear

KX88

That thing is bulletproof. I have a friend that uses one and has since it was new. We had it flown to a gig once and it was dropped, it was in a flight case and the case was crushed. The end cap on the keyboard was compressed to the point that the keys wouldn't move we hammered the end and got the keys unstuck and it played like nothing ever happened. He uses it in Garage Band and it works great.
Good Luck
Old 11th September 2010
Here for the gear

Yamaha KX88 Service Manual

I have a KX88 with one key (D1# - black) that sits about 1/4" too high. Everything works perfectly, however this key just sits a bit higher. Does anyone have an idea how I might correct this? Does anyone have a service manual for the KX88?? Thanks for the help.
Old 11th September 2010
Lives for gear

Yamaha KX88

Goto the yamaha keyboard website and find a certified yamaha repair center
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

KX 88 Service Manual

I contacted an authorized service center and they stated that it would probably cost $300 to repair the key. That's just too much, and it just seems that this should be a simple fix.

Does anyone have a service manual, and/or service instructions for repairing or "overhauling" the keyboard? Thanks!
Old 21st September 2010
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanGray View Post
I have a KX88 with one key (D1# - black) that sits about 1/4" too high. Everything works perfectly, however this key just sits a bit higher. Does anyone have an idea how I might correct this? Does anyone have a service manual for the KX88?? Thanks for the help.
If you take the screws out of the top panel where all the controls are you can hinge the panel back to expose the key mechanism.When I received my KX-88 4 or 5 keys were raised up which I was able to repair by reinstalling the plastic pivot piece on the back of the key. It's a little trickey but once you do one you will see how it works.I think mine was the result of the keyboard being turned upside down during shipment allowing the keys to fall out of position.Hope this can help you.
Old 27th February 2011
Jca
Gear Nut

I just got one of these. A google and yamaha search for the manual turned up nothing as far as I could see but here's a link from a helpful GS member and problem solved. Thanks
Old 27th February 2011
Another KX88 owner here - use it in my studio and LOVE the action.

Got an A80 as well, which is quite nice for live, as the action's quite light in comparison - shame it weighs a TON!!!
Old 27th February 2011
Gear Guru

It's heavy and definitely a beast, but it's great. Perfect for the studio.
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear
The Steinberg site says the KX series has Cubase AI. Has anyone here used their KX with AI software? Doe it make setup easy?
Old 28th February 2011
Lives for gear
I distinctly remember that the KX88 had a huge problem: the MIDI velocities it transmitted couldn't exceed 100. I have no idea if there's a fix for that.
Old 1st March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I distinctly remember that the KX88 had a huge problem: the MIDI velocities it transmitted couldn't exceed 100. I have no idea if there's a fix for that.
Don't know where that came from - mine goes right up to 127
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Guru

Yeah. That's a weird one. It doesn't apply to mine either.
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear
I'm old enough to remember when Yamaha introduced the KX88 and not buying it precisely for that reason. They might have fixed it later, but I'm pretty sure early KX88's had that problem. Incidentally, the same was true about early DX7's.
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I'm old enough to remember when Yamaha introduced the KX88 and not buying it precisely for that reason. They might have fixed it later, but I'm pretty sure early KX88's had that problem. Incidentally, the same was true about early DX7's.
Interesting. There may have been something like that. I can't remember. I got one when they first came out and my pianist used for all our gigs and for three subsequent CDs. I don't ever remember that problem. And I was a nut for velocities.
Old 1st March 2011
Lives for gear

PaPi61 I don't doubt your memory but I wonder how this velocity issue got started around the kx88???

I remember reading about it before and I think I had found the link

Yamaha KX88...The holy grail of controllers? [Archive] - Harmony Central Forums

Perhaps on the first production batch the default max velocity was 100 on the kx88's and after that it was changed? i dunno

my kx88 goes to 127
Old 24th April 2011
Lives for gear

Hi, I just lucked into a used KX88 FREE believe it or not. It seems to be working fine other than lots of dust....here's the thing.... I am not a musician (I do voiceover)

but got it because I'm trying to brush up on my very rusty piano skills from childhood.

Basically, I'm wondering how to hook this thing up. I don't need to record, just

need some sound. I have an Apogee Duet and MOTU Ultralite and use

Amadeus Pro and Garage Band (Mac platforms obviously). Do I need some

sort of thinamajig between the keyboard and my interface or computer?

I know how to signal chain mics and preamps, but instruments and MIDI, not

so much. Thanks.
Old 24th April 2011
Gear Guru

You'll need a midi interface and a midi cable. You should be able to get the sounds out of Garage Band.
Old 24th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ellis View Post
Hi, I just lucked into a used KX88 FREE believe it or not. It seems to be working fine other than lots of dust....
Lucky swine!!!!

nice bit of kit - spend some time cleaning it up. I've attached the owners manual for your reference - might be of some use!

Dan
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KX88_Owners_Manual.pdf (668.0 KB, 742 views)
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

Don, thanks much for the manual.
do any of you know how I would connect the Yamaha to my Apogee Duet?

It(the Duet) doesn't have an actual midi input, but has midi input software.

It has an instrument input that is 1/4 inch, so I'm guessing I would need

a Midi to 1/4 inch cable (???)
Old 25th April 2011
Gear Guru

You don't. You connect the KX-88 to a midi interface. The keyboard has no sounds. It depends on you playing other keyboards, synths or virtual instruments from the midi connection.
Old 25th April 2011
Lives for gear

I also have a MOTU Ultralite that has physical MIDI ins and outs.

Could I connect that to the Yamaha or do I still need some sort of tone generator. (not sure but the Ultralite may have some kind of virtual software
that provides the tones)

Again, I know zilch about instruments. Mics and preamps, yeah, but instruments nada
Old 25th April 2011
Gear Guru

LOL. For the third time -- You need an instrument, synth, sampler, virtual instrument, tone generator. The Ultralite doesn't have any sound to it, as far as I know. But as I said earlier, you should be able to use the sounds in garage band. The midi in the ultralite would probably work as an interface. You have to set it up in the Audio/Midi, if you have a Mac or it's equivalent.
Old 5th May 2011
Here for the gear

KX88 and ozoniz combo? need help on the audio out!

Hey Folks,
I finally found a decent price weighted keyboard ( yahama KX 88)to go with my midi set up. I been using an M- audio Ozonic ( built in interface/ firewire) with 4 stereo outs and midi ins and outs, and a roland amp. I use Logic and ableton software.I want to use both key boards. One for Piano the other for organ.

As I wait for the KX 88 to be sent to my house . Im trying to figure out the configuration on the audio out.I know KX88 is old midi. so I probably want to go with the Ozonic as my main controller. Also the Ozonic has the audio outs, unlike the KX88 only has midi in/out.

So the questions is the cabling of the two controllers. How do I run a mid in/ out cables Usb cables to get this set up to talk to each other and be amplified?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search