The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha KX88
Old 6th May 2011
M Audio Ozonic will run via USB/Firewire/wishful thinking etc.

The KX88 will connect from its MIDI OUT to Ozonic MIDI IN.

Inside Logic, you'll choose the input controller in the Inspector channel (on the left-hand side) - MAYBE.

It might pick up both controllers at the same time.
Old 6th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoseph View Post
Hey Folks,
I finally found a decent price weighted keyboard ( yahama KX 88)to go with my midi set up. I been using an M- audio Ozonic ( built in interface/ firewire) with 4 stereo outs and midi ins and outs.That I plug into a roland amp. I use Logic and ableton software.I want to use both. One for Piano the other for organ.

As I wait for the KX 88 to be sent to my house . Im trying to figure out the configuration on the audio out.I know KX88 is old midi. so I probably want to go with the Ozonic as my main controller. Also the Ozonic has the audio outs, unlike the KX88 only has midi in/out.

So the questions is the cabling of the two controllers. How do I run a mid in/ out cables Usb cables to get this set up to talk to each other and be amplified?
Ozonic has a built in midi & audio interface which connects to the computer via firewire, not USB. The computer will need to have a firewire port. The Ozonic's firewire port is connected to the computer's firewire port via the supplied firewire cable. Install the drivers & software.

The KX88 is a midi controller only, for typical usage the KX88 Midi-Out cable goes to Ozonic Midi-In port.

You could assign Ozonic to Midi Channel 1 and the KX88 to Midi Channel 2. MIDI channel inputs are routed / selected via the host software (Logic, Ableton etc) to the relevant virtual synths running inside them.

The Ozonic main audio output goes to the Roland Amp for monitoring and carries audio coming via firewire from the computer. Setup your preferred audio routing via Ozonic's software.

Recording of external audio inputs plugged into Ozonic are sent via firewire to the host software on the computer. You'll need to setup preferred audio routing in the host software.
Old 14th May 2011
Here for the gear

Yamaha Kx88 and m-audio talking to logic

Quote:
Hey Folks,
I finally found a decent price weighted keyboard ( yahama KX 88)to go with my midi set up. I been using an M- audio Ozonic ( built in interface/ firewire) with 4 stereo outs and midi ins and outs, and a roland amp. I use Logic and ableton software.I want to use both key boards. One for Piano the other for organ.

As I wait for the KX 88 to be sent to my house . Im trying to figure out the configuration on the audio out.I know KX88 is old midi. so I probably want to go with the Ozonic as my main controller. Also the Ozonic has the audio outs, unlike the KX88 only has midi in/out.

So the questions is the cabling of the two controllers. How do I run a mid in/ out cables Usb cables to get this set up to talk to each other and be amplified?

Hey folks thanks for the quick replies. My set up has changed up due to some ebay shopping. I receive the Kx88 ( the action is awesome) But I also got a line 6 interface and and the new M-audio axiom. I plug in the Kx 88 with a usb- midi cable it worked for a second then drop out, I tried Midi out from M-audio board- to KX88 and got nothing. Since I had the ozonic I always ran the firewire. So Im thinking maybe a a normal midi cable and some research on Logic would work?

Im wondering if I need to find some kind of driver for the Kx88?

peace and respects
Old 14th May 2011
OK, there are NO sounds inside the KX88, so there's little point in using its MIDI IN.

My guess is you're missing drivers for the Line6 and M-Audio.

The KX will connect to your system, MIDI OUT (KX) to MIDI in.

You'll have to set up a sound (logic softsynths) - the MIDI channel/port will appear on the left hand side in Logic (above the mixer channels) in the Arrange Page.
But there are NO drivers needed (or available) for the KX88.

You might need to do some MIDI theory reading :D
Old 14th May 2011
This attached pic might help a bit
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha KX88-install.jpg  
Old 14th May 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im wondering if I need to find some kind of driver for the Kx88?

peace and respects
check this out

Tweak's Guide to the Home and Project Studio read the midi part
Old 15th May 2011
Here for the gear

kx88 set up

Hey folks, thanks for the direction.AWESOME DIAGRAM! YOu rock!

I should of mention that I do everything through Logic and Abelton.So i do understand have the very basic understanding of midi. But yeah I need to learn much about midi theory.Now everything is talking! I just need to read this yamaha manuel and get the most out this controller.And also understand how midi channels work. So now I move on to learn how to separate the boards to assign different sounds..lol
Old 15th May 2011
Glad it's working!!
Now get on and make some music
Old 9th June 2011

Velocity maxes out at 100

I find it easy to believe that it does this, the DX7 did the same. I used a box called Pocket Curve (iZ Technology Corporation | Media Resources) to address this, I'm sure there are more modern solutions, probably in software.
Cliff
Old 28th August 2011
Gear Maniac
How do you change the velocity on the KX88?
Old 28th August 2011
Deleted User
I don't have a KX88 but played on a such now and then. Absolutely the best keyboard I know. Should be great to have to my TX816, but will take too much space in my small downtown apartment.

BTW, has the KX88 and Motif8 (has also a great keyboard) the same keyboard?
Old 2nd October 2011
Here for the gear

KX 88 velocity is reduced (15-127 instead of 0-127)

I have a KX88 since its release in 1985. I still own it, since it is a solid keyboard, reliable although very (too) heavy. But it has a big default that has already been mentioned, and that is easy to identify with a player of MIDI messages (eg Cubase): its dynamics is truncated in pianissimi notes, because it emits only velocity 15 to 127 instead of 0 to 127. This means that pianissimi notes whose velocity ranges from 0 to 15 are played ??only with the velocity 15. It is perfectly audible on piano sounds for example.
I asked Yamaha technical service to correct this defect, 20 years ago, but was told it was not possible. Would anyone know of any solution for?
Old 11th December 2011
Here for the gear

kx88 help!

Hello everyone, picked up my very first midi controller today, the kx88 (this thing is a beast). Can't get sound, I've done my research and here's what's happening:

Want my setup to be just the kx88 and my computer (DAW). A midi to USB cable connects the two, approved for running with windows XP. (Yes I have the MIDI IN cable connected to the MIDI OUT port and vice versa).

Windows XP appears to recognize the midi controller. Running FL Studio, recognizes it as "Input: USB Audio Device (generic controller)". Okay, cool. But I press a key and no sound I made sure the kx88 is in factory default settings (Hold bank A and B while turning power on). I've tried MS1 and MS2 buttons (switches between single/dual) and when I push MODE, BANK A PROGRAM SWTICH 11 for MIDI CH it displays the channels as 1 and 2. Am I set up to properly send a midi signal to my DAW??

--PS: I tried hooking up to my macbook and garageband to troubleshoot, same issue (the device appears to be detected)
Old 11th December 2011
silly question probably, but I'm going to assume you're new to MIDI....
All you need is the MIDI OUT of the KX88 to the MIDI IN of you USB cable.

The other one isn't needed (as your KX88 has no internal sounds, for example)

If you're hell bent on having both cables connected, ensure that the MIDI OUT goes to an IN, and vice versa.

Good luck.

Dan
Old 11th December 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 View Post
I distinctly remember that the KX88 had a huge problem: the MIDI velocities it transmitted couldn't exceed 100. I have no idea if there's a fix for that.
Congratulation to an awesome keyboard. It's my fovourite keyboard - the feeling is unbeatable. Wish I had one to my TX816.

That was the issue with the early DX7. When some KX88 has the range up to 127 it must be a firmware update thang. A way to use up to 127 for you in a DAW situation could be to use some sort of MIDI expansion. Works in Logic and should be a common function in almost any DAW I guess.
Old 10th January 2012
Here for the gear

Hey Folks

I'm new here because I was looking for someone that might be interested in buying my KX88. I thought about ebay but I've actually never sold anything on ebay and the local pawn shops here in Idaho no nothing of this vintage piece so basically they arent interested in taking it in their stores to see if anyone will bite. I dont know if this would be a good place to mention this but I thought I would give it a shot. Shoot me an email if you think you might be interested, I can send pictures. I've had it a long time and the battery will probably need to be changed.

On a side note, I have an RX7 drum machine which I loved but the battery died and I have no idea how to change it, any suggestions? I'd rather not take it and pay a fortune to get it fixed at a shop, would rather do it myself, I have some electrical knowledge.

Thanks!
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear

Did you ever figure out how to get sounds out of your kx88 in garage band? I just bought a used kx88 and bought the Roland um one m2 usb midi adapter, and can't get any sound out of the kx88. Not sure if I've set it up wrong of or if this adapter just isn't compatible with the kx88.
Old 13th April 2015
Gear Maniac
I've had no issues using several MIDI adapters with the KX88. Make sure you do a hard reset of the unit to clear any modified settings. You can do this by holding both the Bank A and Bank B buttons while powering it up. I think that also sets it to Ch 1.
Old 13th April 2015
Here for the gear

Hi, thanks for your response! I tried those things but it doesn't work. Any other ideas?? I should mention that I get sounds when I plug the KX88 into the Korg P3 piano module that was sold with the KX88 I bought. So it would seem that the keyboard is sending a message just fine.
Old 7th February 2016
Here for the gear

Hey, KX-88 owners/fixers. A buddy of mine moved out of the country and gave me his kX-88. I love the thing but a few of the keys stick and it is driving me insane. I've been looking all over the place and have found varying answers to how I can open the thing up and clean the key contacts. I keep seeing people saying that it is a very simple fix, but others saying it is a long process and involves soldering. I do not want to get halfway through the process and have to go back to researching. I know the basics of how to open the thing up, but I have no experience with soldering or electronics aside from minor fixes. I do however want to put the time into fixing it properly so I would appreciate someone's help that can give me a step by step or at least a general overview of the process. Many thanks!
Old 7th February 2016
Gear Addict

Congrats. I remember lusting after a KX88 waaaay back in the 80s.
Old 25th November 2016
Here for the gear

Hey gear maniacs, happy Thanksgiving to those of you in U.S., and happy Thursday to all others ;-)
Reviving this thread as it is most recent, hope to attract someone with relevant experience.
New KX88 owner here, need some advice. This is my first professional keyboard, ever - got it for less than $200, and hooked up, and it all works, and sky high happy, you can only imagine how much... Feel like resurrecting, tapping and dipping the stream I left 35+ years ago, when I chose a different path...

So, here's the question: Looking at 10+ years old threads, quite some folks have DIY-replaced the cushion felt on this board (as this seems never been serviced). Can someone recollect what exactly they got for a replacement?
I have a service manual downloaded from here (thanks, community!!!), and a site to buy spare parts (thanks again!!!), and they have a lot of choices for a 88-key felt cushions... what would be the best match??? The one for CLP-115/etc. (2 sides), or for CLP-360 (1 side)?
I didn't find specific measurements for this felt, and would prefer an option to order parts before I take the keyboard apart, not other way around.
Can anyone who did such replace, share the details?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search