The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any one like the Eraser?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Any one like the Eraser?

Hey, dose any one like the eraser, and kid A? If so do you know of any of the production technics and equipment used as far as electronic sounds ext. I ask because i love the dark sound of Kid A and find it hard to get out of VI's? Also Ive been told that all the instruments used on the Eraser were Vi's . Any one know any thing.
Nigel Godrich is the man.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

all i know is that Thom says he made The Eraser all on his laptop.

Love those 2 albums though.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like some good old fashioned 'real instruments' to me but I guess if anyone could make VI's sound good it'd be Godrich.

YouTube - Thom Yorke (Radiohead) Cymbal Rush (live)
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

I think it's fantastic. Thom's songwriting is just brilliant. The drum programming in Harrowdown Hill is nothing short of superb. On the Henry Rollins show I think is was:

Thom Yorke - Fender Rhodes
Jonny Greenwood - Analogue Systems French Connection
Nigel Godrich - TR-909

I think it was at the Brit awards, Thom just played solo piano or Rhodes, I forget which.

From what I've read, it seems he did most of it on a laptop. My guess would be he wrote the songs with a Rhodes, guitar & laptop. Then Nigel Godrich worked his magic when they came to record it.
Old 31st August 2007
great album. been showing up in alot of end credits for films.
sounds like too much round raw tone to be all vst's to me.
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

haha, i was just looking into what you are asking right now. The French Connection looks and sounds awsome. If anyone gets it, please post a review on the forum.

I also know, that he bit-crushed the crap out of a lot of sounds on The Eraser . Ive been trying the same with GarageBand's Bit Crusher on drums.

Ill have two drums, each being bit-crushed at different frequencies.

ahh.....BIT CRUSHING is awsome!
Old 7th January 2008
Gear Nut

Of course, there are guitars and some Rhodes, as well as acoustic piano. Also, Jonny laid down some tracks using his modular/French Connection.

BUT... a lot of the synths (maybe everything besides Jonny's French Connection/Ondes Martenot-type stuff) are soft synths. In fact, I've heard several of the sounds on the album in the presets of a few soft synths. That was kind of an eye-opener to me.

We can spend days creating sounds, but in the end it's all about rhythms, melodies, harmonies, etc. That's not to say we shouldn't spend a lot of time on sound design. Unique sounds are important in the electronic genre. Especially considering we don't all have an instrument as expressive as Thom's voice to take center stage.

Also, Nigel Godrich contributes mightily with his mixes and production. I think he is one of the masters with fx. Unfortunately, he is very, very secretive about his gear and techniques.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search