The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which EMU Sampler And Other Qs? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Which EMU Sampler And Or Akai Sampler?

So I am thinking of getting an EMU sampler. I have little knowledge of these but I understand the filters and the grit they add to the sound loaded is worth it. I have now personal heard the effect on sounds at a friend's house and LOVED IT.

I am planning on using it for drums mostly to get a more lo-fi-punchy sound.

So I have lots of questions and need any advice you will throw at me.

My initial Qs:

1. Should I get one with a SCSI drive off ebay? I am planning on going back and forth between the computer and the EMU a lot and is a SCSI usuable for this or is it its own weird format?

2. Should I go with a CD since I could easilly load sounds from my computer to a CD and than load them into the EMU?

I basically just want to put my drum librarys into a sampler and have the sampler synced via midi to my computer. When I hit play in Pro Tools. I want the EMU to start playing.

I use a G5 dual 2.0 with OSX and assume there aren't any softwares for interfacing and if so what is the easiest way to move files from computer to EMU and vice versa?

*****I edited this post to include the Akai S5000 and S6000 because I understand they can have a USB option added and interface with a computer well.

How does the sound quality and filtering compare between the EMU high samplers and the Akai high end samplers?

Thanks for the help slizzos!
Old 30th August 2007
Rab
KMR Audio

I used to have a E6400 (actually two at one point), and it's a great (possibly the best?) hardware sampler. But I finally jacked it in for the software sampler route - mostly because of the limitations with data transfer to/from my mac and archiving. I used to use a little utility from Gallery called EOS File Assistant, which they no longer make - I think it only worked under OS9 anyway. this worked OK as a way of throwing data between the two. Because the EMU uses its own file format, it's kind of unusable by any computer in its native format.

If you have the patience and discipline to run a whole separate format library maybe this won't bother you - in the end it bugged the hell out of me - especially when I got into software samplers - it just seemed like too much hard work. The filters and synthesis options are awesome - I don't think any software sampler has matched the power of this - but it really is a "standalone" beast and probably explains to a large extent why hardware samplers are all but obsolete.

You can pick them up dirt cheap, so go for every option you can find - you'll need a SCSI hard drive and CD ROM at least and fill it up with RAM. If you plan to simply use it as a drum sound source, I think it's still a good option. It needs a lot of love though - maybe you've got bigger balls than me?

Good luck!
Old 30th August 2007
i picked up an EMU ESI-32 & a SCSI card for cheap. connect via an old version of Sound Forge & Wave Surgeon. Works pretty damn well. i use it for triggering samples live & expanding my electronic drum kit.

How to Connect your E-mu Sampler to a PC
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

go for the e6400 ultra since they're so cheap now. my first sampler was an e5000 ultra back in the day. they kick ass, and i kind of miss mine sometimes. although these days it's just easier for me to mess with samples in the computer.

definitely get a SCSI interface for your computer, and an internal HD in the sampler. you can transfer files via SCSI in wavelab or soundforge.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
you can transfer files via SCSI in wavelab or soundforge.
I don't think either of those programs are availble for Apple OSX. Is there an OSX options available?

ALSO, anyone here have experience with the Akai S5/6000 with USB add/on and AK.sys? That looks like a great computer sampler interface.
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuehler View Post
I don't think either of those programs are availble for Apple OSX. Is there an OSX options available?
Recycle does EMU format transfers
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

ALSO, anyone here have experience with the Akai S5/6000 with USB add/on and AK.sys? That looks like a great computer sampler interface.
I am pretty sure there are no programs available for Mac OS X that support SCSI transfer with samplers. In fact there is very little support for SCSI with OS X in general, although that's kind of understandable as it's such an obsolete format. It's one of the reasons my E-MU E-Synth Rack has been collecting dust for the last 2-3 years. I keep meaning to sell but haven't got around to it yet (I still have some archieving to do).

The E-Synth is essentially an E4 sampler combined with a ROMpler with a collection of sounds from the Proteus range. That was one of 2 ROM boards available for the E4 Classic range (i.e. pre-Ultra range), there may even have been more available for the Ultra range. The other ROM board had the sounds from Orbit/Planet Phatt, which I also added to mine. The sounds on that board were actually one of my favourite things about my machine, and I definitely recommend it if you do go with an E-MU sampler and you can find one with it. An E-Synth that shipped from the factory with that board was called an E-Synth Dance .

I hope that helps.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

i think Peak will do SCSI transfers as well
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Recycle does EMU format transfers
oops, only the OS9 does support hardware.
sorry for the wrong info.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think Peak will do SCSI transfers as well
It seams you are right. I thought BIAS had dropped SMDI support in Peak Pro some time ago (FYI, SMDI is a sample management protocol that stands for SCSI Musical Data Interchange), but not according to the BIAS website:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BIAS Website

Peak Pro 5 Feature Overview:
  • Supports all SMDI hardware samplers
I think for me the nail in the coffin for my E-MU and Kurzweil samplers was the news that Propellerhead ReCycle (the original loop chopping software) for OS X would no longer support SMDI hardware samplers. I still use an Akai MPC60 though.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the one of your major considerations should be do I want digital or analog filters.

If you want analog filters go with an eiii.

if you want digital filters go with a e4 platinum with that RFX32 Effects/Mixer Card , or e4 xt ultra with rfx32

Also you need to go to Samplers <--- emulator archive link

and read about all the specs etc to help you find the right one
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Price/performance wise, nothing beats an older EOS version (i.e. E4 Turbo) previous to the Ultra series w/Coldfire thumbsup

Ruudman
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

as far as it goes with sample transfer and mac...you could always just pick up a dinosaur of a pc...throw a cheap adaptec card in it, and use it as a dedicated sample loader...im using a p2 400mhz/96mb ram/300gb with soundforge as my sample library and emu loader....works great...and it saves space on/in my main recording machine...instead of wasting a chassis spot with a sample drive, i can fill thats spot with an extra drive for recording to.

so much for mac being the artists choice...they should support scsi(and alot of other things, but thats a different topic)...btw SCSI is not really obsolete....there are lots of servers out there filled up with SCSI drives(granted they arent SCSI-2 like the emus)

Last edited by nick x0x; 31st August 2007 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: i should maybe learn to speak english better
Old 31st August 2007
I have 2 Akai S5000's here and I love them. The first I paid $1600 8 years ago and the second I bought in the last year for $250 off of ebay. I have Aksys and the usb card installed in one. I really like it and it is simple enough to use. Other than the transfer time over usb from pc to sampler, after that, everything works pretty much like a software sampler(except you can sample as well). The Aksys program has a virtual program editor that allows you to change sampler settings etc just like you would with a plugin. To me, it makes the sampler so much more usable interface-wise and allows you tweak from the computer with a lot less button pushing and menu cruising on the sampler itself.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi

Have a look at Emus On Acid

There's lots of good information and help.

Wanna E4XT Ultra myself!

Hey Reptile greets from me, had a nice stay in Holland.
Will come back in march.

Greets

Christian
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 for E4 XT ultra

:J
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

any workin E-MU sampler is a great sampler.

you can't go wrong with any of them

I have a rackmount g4 w/ 3 scsi cards
hooked up to 3 scsi samplers

for os 10, I use dsp quattro for smidi transfer

for os 9, I use recycle and dsp quattro

don't hesitate. this is a lot of fun
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

EMU EOS samplers are wonderful machines. They are very synth-like in architecture. The "cord" system in EOS is very flexible and fun to work with.

BTW - You won't necessarily need a SCSI drive for an EMU Ultra sampler. When I purchased new EMU, I also purchased the IDE mounting kit and installed a standard (much cheaper) IDE drive in it.

With your Dual 2.0 G5, you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand SCSI card [i[very[/i] cheaply (like for less that $20). I used an Adaptec 39160 with my Dual 2.0 G5 (Early 2005 model) running OS 10.4 and SMIDI transfers worked flawlessly with Peak Pro. Adaptec dropped support for Macs a while ago, but Apple put drivers for the 39160 (and several other Adaptec models) into the OS.

My G5 died recently (got zapped by crappy voltage here) and was replaced with a new Mac Pro. Because Mac Pro's have PCIe slots instead of standard PCI or PCI-x, the only SCSI card on the market that will run in it is the ATTO PCIe UL5D - and it costs around $400! So as much as I love my EMU E6400, I am currently not able to do any SCSI-based sample transfers between it and my Mac Pro. It's collecting dust right now........ :(

I'm going back to the US next week and hope to find a second-hand PCMCIA SCSI card or perhaps a USB>SCSI adapter that I can use to interface the EMU with my old G4 laptop (pretty much impossible to find here where I live in Spain). The USB>SCSI adapters are also very inexpensive on the second hand market.
But be forewarned - they will not work with Intel-based Macs.

I say go for it - you'll have a blast with an EMU.

-T
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
5000 ultra. they kick ass
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I Love my E4xt...its great sampler but when it comes to sound....MY ASR 10R sounds muuuuuch better...
anyway I use E4 with scsi without problem on all systems with scsi card...and its very good for experimenting, crossfading, making new sounds...stabel and reliable....work horse
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I made myself a new setup with sampling and a windows machine.

I use an Emu E6400 with a SCSI cdrom and SCSI harddrive. And then there is an 0404 soundcard and proteus X on my windows machine aswell as a soundblaster with vienna soundfontstudio and translator free.

There is a program which can translate lots of stuff for proteus X (it comes with proteus X), and then proteus X can save all banks as EOS banks. Use translator free to make an Emu disk and burn it. Off you go.

I do it like this because I dont want a big SCSI cable from my machine to the E6400 (I need around 4 meters or more) and dont want to use a SCSI card. Its easier for me as I still prefer editing in wavelab lite then on the display of the Emu.

Works pretty good here...
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

excellent idea
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Emulator III is the best sounding EMU and an amazing machine. Later ones are good, but no cigar in my book.
Roland S-750 sounds nicer than later EMU's IMHO. A serious sounding machine that...but the EMU's are good.
If you get a later EMU like the 6400 etc, get the Ultra. I found the midi timing sluggish on my 6400 (an EMU thing all the way back to the emax) but the ultra did improve this nicely.
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

can someone plz tell me which emu sampler has the best included fx?
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post
can someone plz tell me which emu sampler has the best included fx?
Any of the EMU Ultra samplers (E6400 Ultra, E4XT Ultra, etc.) with the RFX-32 board installed .

-T
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

I run my hardware samplers on a SCSI network with 2 S760s and E6400 and an AKAI Z4 all hooked up to Two hard drives, CD rom and Magneto Optical drives - No computer in the network its entirely a closed loop for the hardware. The problem you'll have is not just finding Wide Gage SCSI 2 interfaces but also finding small enough drives with the set up instructions and software to mount them and get them working.

If you can get an E series sampler with an internal IDE drive then all you need is a CD rom and a copy of Chicken Systems Translator software - which will convert to and from any native sampler format to an other format.

E-series filter types are very diverse but like Mr Morley says they aren't a patch on the Roland S series samplers filter sounds and balls. My Hi pass filter trick with kick drums only works properly on the Roland Samplers - you can make the most weedy kick explode from the the speakers with the S series filters - never comes close with EOS.

Beer
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

The Emax 2`s got analogue filters. But no graphical display.

The Akai S-5000 series filters are not very intersting.
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

here's another one:

seems like a no brainer but,, do any emu's or roland's have a cdrom built in?
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

... and another one..

are there any 'new' samplers around? I'm not very knowledgable about them. Anything new, or up and coming that has quality filters and effects such as emu or roland samplers with lots of ram??

Are these style beasts gone like dinosaurs?

Peace
Old 13th April 2008
Lives for gear

Emax II have digital filters.

The Emax /HD/SE 12bit samplers has the SSM analog filters.

Although the Emax II has to have some the BEST digital filters I've ever heard.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search