The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
whats your sequencer(s) of choice Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

whats your sequencer(s) of choice

for me its the mpc 2000xl mainly...but i also use techno toys seq-303 for certain things....i record audio to cubase and do audio edits there rarely, i usually get all my composition done on the mpc, but backspins are alot easier to do in cubase...i never do any midi from cubase...the timing just doesnt seem as tight as the mpc or even seq-303(i run seq-303 from a dedicated computer which is slaved to the mpc's clock)going out to my hardware(i have no use for soft synths)

reaper looks interesting...im considering a switch from cubase...the features are right and the price is excellent.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

I use a Yamaha QY700, it's great, the timings really solid on it, I've had no problems so far.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Linn 9000 the precursor to the MPCs, for the feel and soundz.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass View Post
Linn 9000 the precursor to the MPCs, for the feel and soundz.
classic! is yours reliable? ive heard the 9000s and the sequential studio 440s are awesome machines, but they can be hit or miss...some are very buggy, others work perfectly.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Have you seen this?

a n a l o g u e h a v e n , p o m o n a , c a

genoQs Machines - start

I saw two of these at a synth event that I attended a few weeks ago and got an extensive demo. Very impressive device with lots of features for live performance sequencing. Not the kind of stuff I'm into personally, but for those who are, this thing is definitely worth checking out.

DP
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

yeah the octopus looks sweet...i would love to check it out sometime.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Fave hardware sequencer: Manikin Schrittmacher

Fave software sequencer: Five12 Numerology
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick x0x View Post
yeah the octopus looks sweet...i would love to check it out sometime.
I also saw several demos, but feel one needs to have 8 hands to use the Octopus. Or perhaps 8 brains. Not for me.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have a couple of Yamaha Rm1x sequencers. I'm sure there are better sequencers around (though the Yammies are nice), but I'm used to using them, so i'm sticking to them for now.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Atari st+Notator sl.
Old 27th August 2007
EMU MP-7
Doepfer modules & Logic midi
Old 27th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture
.......Fave software sequencer: Five12 Numerology
2 questions please?
does it play nice with an external clock, and midi output at the same time?
or a sequencer as slave, or slaved to a sequencer? (ICW mac & logic?)

thanks
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Roland Mv8800 for sequencing

Live for recording and arranging.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

For recording a performance with a MIDI controller and for trying to sequence stuff that doesn't sound sequenced: logic

For doing obviously sequenced sequencer stuff: Five12 Numerology, hands down. It is much deeper than it appears on the surface, and much deeper than I have really figured out what to do with yet.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

MPC2000 XL for drums and some synth stuff

arrangement is then done in logic. though i am a lazy sob when it comes to the arrangement. i love getting ideas down on the mpc, but areanging mixing and editing is a pain in the a sometimes.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

MPC4000! It has the best timing that I've seen in a sequencer.

It's a very nice sampler besides.

A few glitches in the software, but relatively easy to work around.

I've wanted for several years to convert to Logic, but I've never been able to get good enough timing out of it when driving external sound modules / synths...

-synthoid
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
MPC4000! It has the best timing that I've seen in a sequencer.

It's a very nice sampler besides.

A few glitches in the software, but relatively easy to work around.

I've wanted for several years to convert to Logic, but I've never been able to get good enough timing out of it when driving external sound modules / synths...

-synthoid
Hi Synthoid

Which logic/setup gave you bad timing with external sound modules?

I know this is a problem of the newer logic versions and I don't think thi will be solved in logic 8. Even if it has a fancy GUIdfegad

I wanted to have the best midi timing with external sound modules. Therefore I am on OS9 with Logic Platinum, a Unitor 8 hooked uf with a serial port.

Greets
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdigits View Post
Hi Synthoid

I know this is a problem of the newer logic versions and I don't think thi will be solved in logic 8. Even if it has a fancy GUIdfegad

I wanted to have the best midi timing with external sound modules. Therefore I am on OS9 with Logic Platinum, a Unitor 8 hooked uf with a serial port.

Greets
ive noticed that serial and parallel midi connections seem more solid then usb as well...i have the seq-303 computer hooked into my midi patchbay over a joystick-midi cable and it runs alot better then the midisport 2x2 that was doing the job before!

Last edited by nick x0x; 28th August 2007 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: found the answer to my question on google.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick x0x View Post
ive noticed that serial and parallel midi connections seem more solid then usb as well...i have the seq-303 computer hooked into my midi patchbay over a joystick-midi cable and it runs alot better then the midisport 2x2 that was doing the job before!

my next purchase will probably be a serial or parallel motu midi interface....did they ever make Unitor 8 drivers for windows?

It could be there are Windows Drivers, but I don't think XP. Logic was initially on both Platforms available.

Check :

Yahoo! Groups : Search Results

Google is your friend.

Greets
Old 28th August 2007
ensoniq esq1
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Synthoid

Greets
Hi,

I run Logic 7.2.3 on an iMac (Intel dual-core) and on a Macbook Pro. For MIDI interfaces, I have used the Digidesign MIDI I/O and a MOTU MTP/AV. I have also used the MIDI port on the Fireface 800 just to experiment, but one port doesn't do me much good as I have a lot of hardware modules to control.

I was very disappointed by the (MIDI) timing problems, and they are many: bad MIDI clock being sent out of the interface, lots of jitter in the timing of inbound MIDI events, etc. I still use Logic quite a lot, but I have come to use it as a strictly ITB solution for arranging using soft synths and mixing.

Very frustrating, as I really wish I could work in Logic with my external modules from arrangement and tracking through mixing...

Best,

-synthoid
Old 29th August 2007
1990: Alesis MMT-8
1992: Korg O1W-FD
2002: Korg Triton
2004: Korg Triton/Reason
2007: Korg Triton, then transfer to Protools/utilizing Beat Detective

IMO - It's not the sequencer, it's the person behind it.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
1990: Alesis MMT-8
1992: Korg O1W-FD
2002: Korg Triton
2004: Korg Triton/Reason
2007: Korg Triton, then transfer to Protools/utilizing Beat Detective

IMO - It's not the sequencer, it's the person behind it.

Yeah well this goes for the music that comes out in the end, true that!

But if you're lacking midi timing..that's a technical aspect, not a creative one. I think that's another story.

@ synthoid

Why don't you go back to older logic versions? If you're not using softsynths anyway. There are plenty of functions in logic platinum for making music. Like Popbott said, it's the person behind...it is what YOU make of it.

Lots of good music was produced with much less than logic platinum gives you. It also forces creativity!

Greets
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why don't you go back to older logic versions? If you're not using softsynths anyway.

Lots of good music was produced with much less than logic platinum gives you. It also forces creativity!
Oh, I'm sure it would have more than I need for making music. I am very comfortable sequencing on an MPC4000, and it probably has fewer features than Logic Platinum.

Thing is, I never had an older version of Logic. I bought into it at version 7-something. It had never occurred to me to look for an earlier version to purchase, but it is something to think about.

Best,

-synthoid
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

mpc, mobius, logic
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
Oh, I'm sure it would have more than I need for making music. I am very comfortable sequencing on an MPC4000, and it probably has fewer features than Logic Platinum.

Thing is, I never had an older version of Logic. I bought into it at version 7-something. It had never occurred to me to look for an earlier version to purchase, but it is something to think about.

Best,

-synthoid

I also bought straight Logic Pro 7.2 with a macbook pro. Sold the MBP, bought an G4 MDD Traded Logic 7 with a guy who had Platinum, he paid me the difference.

Since Logic 8 is coming out soon, you will find some people wanting your 7 for then upgrading with less cost.

Greets

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search