The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The gear must go? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

The gear must go?

First of all, I'm really pleased to see that a little thread I started a year ago asking for an Electronic Music forum actually resulted in one being created!

More on topic, I've run across a bit of a crossroads - do I sell my gear to save on space and bulk up my cash reserves, or do I try and get through the crunch and keep it? I haven't had much time to work on anything since going back to school and the past several months, haven't really felt inspired enough to even turn anything on.

Have any of you, faced with a similar decision, gone through with it? I'm concerned that a year or two from now, I'll really regret having sold any of it, so maybe just selling my 1820m and and AMT|8 would be a good compromise, since I rarely have 4+ synths going simultaneously. Any suggestions?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

It would help if you stated what type of gear you are considering selling. If it's audiophile quality, has sentimental value or will increase in value DO NOT SELL IT!

I had two vintage guitars that I had to sell during one particularly bad period. In hindsight, I wish I had given up my apartment at the time and crashed on someone's couch instead of letting them go!

You'll get through this 'dry' period and once inspiration hits you will be really bummed that you sold your favorite pieces of kit.

If, on the other hand your gear is easily replaceable/emulated or has no sentimental value, you've got nothing to lose.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk View Post
It would help if you stated what type of gear you are considering selling. If it's audiophile quality, has sentimental value or will increase in value DO NOT SELL IT!
Right now, the stuff I'm thinking of putting up on the block just includes a few "cheap" pieces - Alesis Ion, E-Mu 1820m, Emagic AMT|8, Quiklok 2-tier keyboard stand. I don't have a whole lot beyond that, mostly because I started buying gear only a year or two before I decided to quit my day job and go back to school. Kinda puts a crunch on the budget when you're essentially living on financial aid :p
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

best thing i did was to get rid of all that gear. i had a fantom , korg ms2000, motif rack, virus C, bunch of guitar pedals, roland sh32, 8x8 midi and audio interface and tons of cables and little other stuff like adpaters , smal pres, etc.

all in one apt in NYC. least to say itwas crowded.

so i sold everything and bought a virus TI and couldnt be happier. sounds great, its a controller, and the rest was left to software. software synths sound really good nowadays and most compare to low and mid level synths like the aformentioned.
i recently thought to get a novasion k station and the sonund was worst than most softsynth even the Vstation. and not to mention programing it.

so now instead of having to figure out midi chanels, audio routing when somethnig dont work, or midi dump, patch recall ,,, im making music. small but powerfull setup. the virus TI is great but expensive but people hear some of my stuff i done and always asume synth parts sound great cause of the virus when in truth i used 3 or 4 softsynth together layered. i personaly think that softsynth that use audio files/waves on the OSC sound very very good.
rapture, vember audio, and even the ES2 and ES1 sound great.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
all in one apt in NYC. least to say itwas crowded.

so i sold everything and bought a virus TI and couldnt be happier. sounds great, its a controller, and the rest was left to software. software synths sound really good nowadays and most compare to low and mid level synths like the aformentioned.
i recently thought to get a novasion k station and the sonund was worst than most softsynth even the Vstation. and not to mention programing it.
That's kind of what I'm leaning towards. Obviously, I can't afford a Ti, but I'm thinking that a MIDI controller and 2x2 interface might be a good compromise of money/space. Nothing fancy, but then, I don't need a whole lot right now.

I think what I'll do is put up the 1820m and AMT|8 next week, see what I'm able to get for them, then decide whether I need to toss the Ion as well.
Old 26th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsilbers View Post
best thing i did was to get rid of all that gear.

so i sold everything and bought a virus TI and couldnt be happier.

so now instead of having to figure out midi chanels, audio routing when

somethnig dont work, or midi dump, patch recall ,,, im making music.
I commend you on the TI, it is a great synth and expensive to aquire, I own one myself. But I differ on software. My Arturia Minimoog sounds fantastic, but nothing can ever replace the process I went through: Long production sessions with difficult clients, eBaying gear, racing aginst time to ship sold gear on time, saving my cash, orderining a REAL Moog Voyager, waiting for it, getting it in, hooking it up....and writing with it. Speaking as a true gearslut, that whole process for me was very gratifying to say the least, and totally worth it for the sound of a real Moog.

I still combine the best of both worlds, but I think software synths are best used on a vaction and a laptop. Just walking into a room full of synths can be inspiring. IMO, putting it all together to make your own personal custom setup is part of the fun and gives you the freedom to be even more creative. Essentially ,,, im making music.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear
popbott: hell yeah!

i'm still married to hardware too. dry spells end and you regret having given up something you invested the time to become comfortable with, because you're all juiced up but have to "go back to school" learning new gear/software. and yeah, a room full of synths is quite inspiring, especially when it's all midi'd and audio'd in such a way that it's all live and engageable on the fly. in other words, when set up right, there's no reason a hardware rig would be any more cumbersome than a softsynth rig.

as for the comment about the es2 sounding very good, i beg to differ. when i got my powercore card, i checked the "powercore synth" against the es2 (which had sounded passably decent and was fun as an interface to that point), and it was embarrassing. the es2 is a toy. at least the es1 doesn't pretend to be more than a toy (great for 808 toms/congas, etc.), but the es2 is pretty much on stilts as these things go. ymmv
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott View Post
I commend you on the TI, it is a great synth and expensive to aquire, I own one myself. But I differ on software. My Arturia Minimoog sounds fantastic, but nothing can ever replace the process I went through: Long production sessions with difficult clients, eBaying gear, racing aginst time to ship sold gear on time, saving my cash, orderining a REAL Moog Voyager, waiting for it, getting it in, hooking it up....and writing with it. Speaking as a true gearslut, that whole process for me was very gratifying to say the least, and totally worth it for the sound of a real Moog.

I still combine the best of both worlds, but I think software synths are best used on a vaction and a laptop. Just walking into a room full of synths can be inspiring. IMO, putting it all together to make your own personal custom setup is part of the fun and gives you the freedom to be even more creative. Essentially ,,, im making music.

OH boy......Nothing like ebaying toys to get the real stuff. I have sold so much stuff on ebay.....I have found that you get what you pay for.
After buying toys I just settled for the real good things...i dont care about having a whole room full of synths...less is more. I have combined now the power of the Virus ti, a moog voyager and maybe pretty soon a Nord Lead 3. all with Logic pro on Macbook pro.
When travelling I can replace in a way the Virus Ti with Predator, and the Moog with Minimonsta.
Just get 2 or 3 very good synths and leave the few hundred dollars toys for the kids
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Dros... keep it man. I've bought and sold more gear than I can remember in the past 10 years and I finally realised that it's good to keep synths around.... even if you don't use them on every track you produce. Just having it there in case you need it. If it's not going to bring you much money, I say keep it all and save up for what you want.

Keep accumulating until you feel you have a comfortable studio. Exactly what I did with my new studio and I am loving it. The last couple of pieces are on their way in and after that it's not the gear anymore, it's about the music. And it's a pretty big relief that I don't have to hunt **** down anymore. DOn't get me wrong, the hunt is fun and I've made much more money buying and selling gear than I've lost. It's just time to focus now.

In conclusion, keep it around, you'll never know when you are going to spark 'it' on and have it inspire you like never before.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

just recently went thru this, sold alot of stuff and am really happy

it helps to cull what you dont use, also re-arranging your studio etc.. afterwards always inspires a new tune for me

dont get stuck on i should keep this or keep that, but i owuld reccommend only buying gear back with the money you make from selling gear, thats the only time i regret selling, when i dont go and get something new to replace it with - feels like a waste then..
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

It sounds like the OP's current setup is not doing anything for him. If you have gear that you never use or find too tedious to bear, get rid of it. Hang on to the cash and, when you get into a better situation, use it to buy something that works better for you. Remember, you own the gear, it doesn't own you.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search