The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Synths for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cost of DCO's vs VCO's Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
There is no doubt that VCOs are less stable than DCOs - no one is arguing that. There is also no doubt that there are people who believe that is a desirable quality -
Now there's the understatement of the day! Ya' think?!
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISCERN View Post

I'm quite the opposite, I can't stand the sound of some of the highly praised synths. I don't know what the big deal is with highy praised synths... perhaps its nothing but premediated, based on hype and what should people think should qualify as sounding good. I for one hope the Prophet '08 sounds nothing like the original prophet, because yeeek its a horrible sounding synth. Its the original cheese machine, thats what DSI should have called the prophet '08. The Cheese Machine.

Well, maybe you don't like what you can do with a Prophet 5. That's all. Maybe other synths suit what your idea of good is.
Everyone SHOULD have their own idea of what a good sound is for their music and yours doesn't include a Prophet 5. No problem.
What does work for you (or isn't "Horrible Sounding"?)

People have surprised me with synths I don't like. Would I rush out and buy one because someone else made a great piece of music using one? Nope.
Sure, many "vintage" synths are hyped to hell and some people assume something is good because they don't know, but some synths have very good reason to be where they are because they do the right thing for a large number of people.

I mean, I've heard more crap come out 2600's than lot's of other synths, but to my ears very little comes anywhere close to what it can do for me in my music. That's what counts. If someone else makes crap with it, do I care?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know what the big deal is with highy praised synths... perhaps its nothing but premediated, based on hype and what should people think should qualify as sounding good
Well, I haven't learned anything about the cost of DCO's vs VCO's but man, has this thread been good for a laugh!

Quote:
Its the original cheese machine, thats what DSI should have called the prophet '08. The Cheese Machine.
I thought 'The Cheese Machine' was already copywritten by Access Music?!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search